Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #3351
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Can someone explain the republican strategy on this? None of their talking points were popular in California and Elder ran on the Trump playbook, which lost him the state by nearly 30 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Elder didn't need to win the state. He needed enough people to be mad at Newsom. The bet was they could get 50%+ of the people to want to boot Newsom, and Elder (or someone like him) could roll into the Governor's mansion with 25% of the people voting for him. They were exploiting a terrible recall system more than anything. Heck, and a month ago they were winning. In a weird way the Delta variant getting worse helped scare people enough that they stopped being as mad at the restrictions. If Newsom had lost, it would been about Covid fatigue.

Yup. California has a weird system. It also hurt the GOP that anyone became the frontrunner for them. A Newsom vs. [GOP frontrunner] election was bad for them because it became a choice between two flawed candidates.

But if it had remained a question of replacing Newsom with some generic candidate, then it would have been much better for the GOP--the same way that incumbents always look bad in early polling against Generic Democrat or Generic Republican.

The Dems also pulled from the GOP playbook and nationalized the election. It wasn't about Newsom or Elder. It was about who do you want replacing Feinstein if she has to retire suddenly?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #3352
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Recall elections tend to be more populist free-for-alls than anything to do with a clearly defined party strategy. It was that way even when Gray Davis lost to the Terminator in 2003. The party wanted McClintock.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #3353
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Recall elections tend to be more populist free-for-alls than anything to do with a clearly defined party strategy. It was that way even when Gray Davis lost to the Terminator in 2003. The party wanted McClintock.

How do you elect a movie?
Old 09-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #3354
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

California at least needs a higher threshold for calling a recall vote. 12% of voters is just way too low and allows a small minority to wreck the system.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #3355
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

doa

When people complain about the 3.5 trillion ten-year reconciliation package, remember that the House is about to pass a 778 billion defense bill, n increase of about 5% from last year.

There's always money for the things they find important.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #3356
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Hell, my brother is coaching JV soccer this year, and their school system has problem because the bus companies can't find drivers even at $19-$26 an hour

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/us/ma...ers/index.html

Quote:
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday activated up to 250 National Guard troops to help with school transportation at the start of the academic year, according to a statement from his office.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-16-2021 at 05:49 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #3357
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

OH GOPers started a new line of argument for extreme gerrymanders. They have won 83% of the statewide office races, so they are entitled to up to 83% of the districts in the state house.

I expect to see this from numerous states before long.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #3358
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Lexington schools have been canceling 6-12 bus routes a day depending on available drivers. My wife has been pestered daily about subbing (she's having foot surgery as I type this so she's out until November at earliest).

My daughter is in her final semester of college and will be an elementary teacher. Couldn't have picked better timing. She's student teaching and the principal wants her to sub now and they have a position available that she hopes she can get for January. They're using a sub this semester. So many retirements at once and not enough qualified teachers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-16-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #3359
miked
College Starter

We got texts last week in Dekalb County that certain buses were canceled due to lack of drivers. The messages came when those kids were already out waiting for buses. Cluster.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #3360
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
We got texts last week in Dekalb County that certain buses were canceled due to lack of drivers. The messages came when those kids were already out waiting for buses. Cluster.

I heard on the radio today that Ohio governor Mike DeWine is mulling bringing in the national guard to drive school buses.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #3361
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Massachusetts has already called in the guard for drivers.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #3362
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Incredible, and depressing. There are a lot of potential consequences that have been on my mind over the last year-plus. 'We're not going to have enough bus drivers' wasn't one of them.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #3363
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I never thought I'd see "national guard serving as school bus drivers"

Then again, I think we need to revamp our service model in this country. There should be compulsory community service for a couple of years, but it shouldn't have to be military. This should be the type of thing that would be right up that alley.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #3364
Flasch186
Coordinator

You know what could’ve prevented this from happening?

Trump and gop encouraging mask wearing

Trump might even still be President had he done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #3365
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You know what would fix a lot of these problems?

More immigration!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #3366
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
You know what could’ve prevented this from happening?

Trump and gop encouraging mask wearing

Trump might even still be President had he done that

I don.t think there is any doubt, which just confirms what a stupid fucker he is
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #3367
RainMaker
General Manager

Are school bus drivers full time?

With a pandemic and driving around unvaccinated kids, that's a job that needs some hazard pay.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #3368
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You can put in significant hours, but I don't think it's full time. My brother is coaching JV Girls soccer this year, and he has to drive the van bus (14 seater, so the shorter-bus) to get his team to practice and games because there's just no drivers available, at $19-$26 an hour.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #3369
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Think about a part time gig, but it is split up from early morning (like 5-8) and then you have to go back to work at like 2-5. During that time you have pick up and drive around a bunch of kids that show you no respect. You are expected to keep them under control though you have very little resources to do so. And everything you do in the job is recorded on a camera.
Or, same money you work the hours you want delivering items to people that you barely have contact with. Which would you rather?
There is no way I'd ever be a school bus driver.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #3370
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree. I have no idea why anyone would ever drive a school bus
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #3371
Drake
assmaster

When I was in high school, my dad was a math teacher at a private school, but he arranged his schedule so he could drive a public school route before and after school for extra cash.

He will tell you unequivocally to this day that it was the worst job he ever had, and we're talking rural Indiana public school here.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 AM   #3372
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since the end of the Cold War, presidents of both parties have "talked tough" on China while not really doing anything to actually anger the Chinese.

Biden's decision to help the Aussies build nuclear subs is (1) refreshing action and not bluster, and (2) seems to have actually pissed off the Chinese pretty bad, which makes me think that it really is a much more aggressive move than we've made against them in a while.

Folks can debate how aggressive we should be toward China. But since the general consensus seems to be "pretty aggressive," it is nice to see a President actually commit to that path.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-17-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #3373
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I agree. I have no idea why anyone would ever drive a school bus

Insurance and boredom. I know a few people who drive school buses. All of them are in their mid 40's to early 50's and have been very successful in their previous business lives. A couple have said that the health insurance costs associated with being a bus driver was cheaper for them and their families compared to not working so they took the job. Others would rather drive a bus then just hang out at home. I don't know what grade levels they transport but none appear too stressed by the job at all. The common thread that binds all of them is that they don't need the job. If they all decided to leave tomorrow, they all would be absolutely fine and the district would have holes they can not filled based on the vacancies they currently have.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #3374
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jesus. The NJ FOP have endorsed the local leader of the Oath Keepers for a seat in the NJ legislature.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #3375
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, Idaho put a vaccine denier on their health board, why not an Oath Keeper in a legislature?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-17-2021 at 08:28 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #3376
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I did Nazi that coming

Update: N.J. police union endorses, then drops, Oath Keepers leader seeking State Assembly seat - New Jersey Globe

Though, apparently they backed out of it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #3377
RainMaker
General Manager

Chicago Police hold fundraisers with our local Nazis.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #3378
RainMaker
General Manager

Calling the murder of 7 kids a mistake seems to understate things a bit.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #3379
Flasch186
Coordinator

If it wasn’t a disaster what is?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #3380
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

France is mad. Is there an American food item popular in France that they could rename? Like the Big McTraders or something?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #3381
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It will be delicious watching conservatives effortlessly pivot to being francophiles.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #3382
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It will be delicious watching conservatives effortlessly pivot to being francophiles.

My guess is this will just get the silent treatment
Old 09-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #3383
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My guess is this will just get the silent treatment

I expect Tucker and Ingraham to be all over this. They'll play it the same way they do, "even the liberal New York Times..."
Old 09-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #3384
RainMaker
General Manager

It is funny how Ingraham wrote a book called "Shut up and Sing" about how celebrities need to shut up and now she's spending half her show talking about how important it is to hear Nikki Minaj's cousins testicle story.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #3385
bob
College Starter

I’m not sure how high up or low down the chain, but someone has to be held accountable for this, right?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/polit...hnk/index.html
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #3386
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now do the previous 20 years of drone strikes.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #3387
Edward64
Head Coach

Mistakes definitely happen but it was suspiciously quick (and convenient) in the retribution attack. How we got it wrong will be an interesting read. But yeah, someone should be held accountable.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #3388
Edward64
Head Coach

The French hoopla is confusing.

The Biden strategy to get Australia-UK-US alliance vs China is good. But it would have been better with France also.

Did we really need to scuttle the $40B French deal? Why not get a 4 partner alliance and still have French sell/build the subs.

I don't think we have the full story yet.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #3389
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Now do the previous 20 years of drone strikes.

This drone strike absolutely deserves the attention, but its fascinating how we gloss over the past 20 years. 700 innocent people were killed by drone strikes in Afghanistan in 2019. We have been averaging 5 dead or wounded kids a day in the country over the past decade from our assaults.

We've slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghan citizens since the war started.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #3390
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't mind the scrutiny on this strike, I just want it on all the other strikes as well.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #3391
RainMaker
General Manager

Totally agree. The only reason this drew scrutiny is because the withdrawal pissed off the media.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #3392
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And right-wing media feels like they can attack Biden for it, led of course, by Trump.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #3393
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
And right-wing media feels like they can attack Biden for it, led of course, by Trump.

You know as well as I do this is how it works with military fuckups. Other side immediately screams.

As far as the France thing goes ... France is trying to pretend they are still relevant, when they are not. They're rightfully pissed they're losing out on a boatload of money, but the US and the Aussies don't need them for any sort of power play in SE Asia. US/Aussie relations and US/Japan relations are the keys in that region.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #3394
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sure. I just wish we were really going to scrutinize the drone program from Bush through Obama and Trump and now to Biden. We have been killing civilians for twenty years.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #3395
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Can't question anything that would threaten the almighty military budget.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:41 AM   #3396
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
As far as the France thing goes ... France is trying to pretend they are still relevant, when they are not. They're rightfully pissed they're losing out on a boatload of money, but the US and the Aussies don't need them for any sort of power play in SE Asia. US/Aussie relations and US/Japan relations are the keys in that region.

I don't disagree that France is "less" relevant (just like the UK is less relevant) but that doesn't mean you screw around close allies. Biden is building a counter-China alliance in SEAsia. He is also trying to maintain/upgrade a counter-China economically, we want France's help.

I wonder if we are paying back in kind or something. Did France undercut US in selling military weapons to X country. Were we snubbed by France in some sort of decoupling-from-China deal etc. There may have been good reasons but, right now, seems like an avoidable diss to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/polit...eal/index.html
Quote:
US officials said they informed France before the announcement was formalized during a Wednesday afternoon event at the White House. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said there were conversations with the French in the 24-48 hours before it was made public.

A person familiar with the matter said the White House called Étienne on Wednesday in the hours before Biden made the announcement from the East Room alongside Morrison and Johnson, who beamed in virtually.

One US official said there was a presumption among American officials that Australia would have alerted France to the change in plans, and said that France's outsized reaction was surprising to some in the White House.

The official said that, for now, there is a general belief that the dust-up will not permanently damage relations with France, but acknowledged the spat remains in its early days. The official acknowledged that relations between Biden and Macron -- who is preparing to run for reelection -- will likely take time to repair.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #3397
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't know if its me but there seems to be a dearth of reporting from civilians that made it out of Kabul after the US military left (or the 2 weeks before). You would think we'd be flooded by personal stories by now.

I can easily believe MSM avoid highlighting those stories but I check Drudge and Fox once in a while also. Seems weird to me.

Quote:
A third chartered flight carrying an unspecified number of American citizens as well as other civilians from Afghanistan landed in Qatar on Friday, U.S. special envoy Zalmai Khalilzad confirmed.

About 170 civilians boarded the flight after a Qatari convoy escorted them to the airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, Reuters reported, citing a Qatari official. Passengers also included Afghans as well as nationals from United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands and Croatia.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-18-2021 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #3398
Edward64
Head Coach

More info on the drone strike that killed civilians & kids. The article gives a timeline of events and describes some of the rationale.

TBH if that is all there was - guy picking up other guys, dropping by at a suspected ISIS place, carrying around 3 jugs etc. Doesn't seem to rise to level of a hellfire.

But yeah, we should be make reparation payments ... no considering about it.

Countdown to death: Minute by minute, how the Pentagon killed innocent aid worker and seven kids | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
McKenzie apologized for the error and said the United States is considering making reparation payments to the family of the victims.

'I am now convinced that as many as 10 civilians, including up to seven children, were tragically killed in that strike,' McKenzie said. 'Moreover, we now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with ISIS-K or were a direct threat to U.S. forces,' he added.

McKenzie said that the order to carry out the strike was given by the commander of the over-the-horizon strike team, who has not been named publicly.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #3399
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Biden Presidency - 2020

Deleted comment

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-18-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #3400
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don't know if its me but there seems to be a dearth of reporting from civilians that made it out of Kabul after the US military left (or the 2 weeks before). You would think we'd be flooded by personal stories by now.

I can easily believe MSM avoid highlighting those stories but I check Drudge and Fox once in a while also. Seems weird to me.

All depends on if you believe these stories will appeal to American audiences.

I don't know who wants to make the Qataris out to be sympathetic figures who helped get Americans out of Afghanistan. I don't think that we want to dig too deeply to find out who the Americans that remain in Afghanistan are and why they were still there. See Jon's question earlier in the thread. I am absolutely positive we don't want to bring any more attention than necessary that we promised to bring the Afghans to the United States and yet they are in Qatar and many of our representatives are against them coming to their respective states.

The stories will come out but they won't be personal as much as they will be a part of a greater narrative.