Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #3351
tarcone
Coordinator

Sigh. How disappointing.

Punter award should have had Reggie Robys name on it.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #3352
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And why do they choose an ocean blue as the official color? I mean it totally screams Big Ten, but otherwise...
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #3353
tarcone
Coordinator

They wanted to get away from the embedded numbers. And go back to the old way, when it was the Big10. Now the B1G represents the B10 from the past.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #3354
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And someone just mentioned to me that a couple of the awards are named after guys that never played in the Big 10 (ie Nebraska, Penn St. pre-expansion).
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #3355
tarcone
Coordinator

Focusing on traditions and values that the Big10 represents and not the number of schools in the conference. Delaney said that accountants and some others may get hung up on the number. But the number isnt important. As for the color. I have no idea.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #3356
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Sounds right to me.

The truth hurts.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #3357
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I didn't need an embedded two, but I'm pretty sure they could've had a better logo designed by a first-year design student in a 100 dollar contest.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #3358
tarcone
Coordinator

I think the kid got $50 for the old logo.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #3359
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yes it is. What's with the 1? At least the old logo had an "11" hiding in it. Is there a "2" that I'm not seeing somewhere? Or is this just meant to be a 1x, with the ones digit to be decided later? Glad I bought my Big Ten t-shirt recently, before this change.

I actually did think the old one, with the hidden 11, was pretty cool. Or course I only realized it was hidden there like two years ago and now it is obsolete.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #3360
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Focusing on traditions and values that the Big10 represents and not the number of schools in the conference. Delaney said that accountants and some others may get hung up on the number. But the number isnt important. As for the color. I have no idea.

"the number's not important, but if you must have a number, uh, here's a 1, i guess"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #3361
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Rodriguez/John L and John Cooper/Bill Lynch divisions would have been better then this.

Appreciate the smugness though. If there is one thing the Big Ten does better then anyone else, it's smug.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #3362
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
lol

The 'g' in 'Big' is supposed to be a g/zero. Yeah, it's pretty bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
They wanted to get away from the embedded numbers. And go back to the old way, when it was the Big10. Now the B1G represents the B10 from the past.

1. It took me a while to stop thinking this was some sort of undefined number joke (g divided by zero).

2. I don't get it. Are they trying to emded numbers, or aren't they?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #3363
Swaggs
Coordinator

I didn't even see all the new, hyphenated awards. Nothing says tradition like adding 18 new trophies.

Quote:
Championship game trophies

Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy: Honors Amos Alonzo Stagg (University of Chicago) and Joe Paterno (Penn State)
Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP: Honors Harold Edward “Red” Grange (Illinois) and Archie Griffin (Ohio State)
Postgraduate Awards

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Honors President Gerald R. Ford (former Michigan player) and Nile Kinnick (Iowa)
Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Honors Tony Dungy (Minnesota) and Anthony Thompson (Indiana)
Annual Awards/Trophies

Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year: Otto Graham (Northwestern) and Eddie George (Ohio State)
Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year: Bronislau “Bronko” Nagurski (Minnesota) and Charles Woodson (Michigan)
Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year: Wayne Woodrow “Woody” Hayes (Ohio State) and Glenn Edward “Bo” Schembechler (Michigan
Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year: Darrell Thompson (Minnesota) and Antwaan Randle El (Indiana)
Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Dave Rimington (Nebraska) and Orlando Pace (Ohio State)
Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith (Michigan State) and Courtney Brown (Penn State)
Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year: Honors Bob Griese (Purdue) and Drew Brees (Purdue)
Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year: Honors Alan Ameche (Wisconsin) and Ron Dayne (Wisconsin)
Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year: Honors Jack Tatum (Ohio State) and Rod Woodson (Purdue)
Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year: Honors Dick Butkus (Illinois) and Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern)
Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year: Honors Pat Richter (Wisconsin) and Desmond Howard (Michigan)
Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year: Honors Ted Kwalick (Penn State) and Dallas Clark (Iowa)
Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year: Honors Jim Bakken (Wisconsin) and Morten Andersen (Michigan State)
Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: Honors Thomas Dwight “Dike” Eddleman (Illinois) and Brandon Fields (Michigan State)
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #3364
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

I think this better represents the Big Ten than that:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-13-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #3365
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
1. It took me a while to stop thinking this was some sort of undefined number joke (g divided by zero).

They are. Some of the new logos are proof.

http://www.bigten.org/genrel/121310aaa.html

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #3366
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the smaller logo better. Like...It's strange, but it sort of works. Especially with the Big 12 likely to change their logo or even their name...it's still bad though.

Strangely, I saw a proof logo on a logo forum I frequent that's similar to it that looked like what they did except he called them the Big North.

I actually like the new trophies and how they try to recognize the past history.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #3367
Logan
Head Coach

That shade of blue is just bad, the rest is average.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #3368
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I think its kind of like a magic eye puzzle. I just stared at the thing for 20 minutes and saw Woody Hayes beating up that Clemson player.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #3369
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That shade of blue is just bad, the rest is average.

It's like a slightly darker Carolina blue, or a slightly lighter Honolulu blue. And that color certainly doesn't scream Big Ten - more like WAC.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #3370
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's like a slightly darker Carolina blue, or a slightly lighter Honolulu blue. And that color certainly doesn't scream Big Ten - more like WAC.

And we all know Honolulu Blue screams "cool!", so, maybe that's what they were going for.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #3371
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The logo isn't that bad, but the color is horrible. Looks more like the colors you'd use for a WNBA team, not a major conference in the Midwest that is focused around football.

As for the new awards, why the hypenated names? Why not just pick a guy and go with that? Why the need for two?

WHO THE FUCK IS MAKING THESE DECISIONS FOR THE BIG 10?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #3372
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait, this is actually the division names???????????????
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #3373
Galaxy
Coordinator

The NCAA keeps getting stupider, smoggier, and greedier by the day.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #3374
MJ4H
Coordinator

facepalm.jpg
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #3375
tarcone
Coordinator

This can turn into a 1 and a 6 real easily.

The guys on College Football Live are saying everything we are. I hope the Big10 gets a clue and tries again.
On another board someone suggested Plains and Lakes divisions. Heck with the logo Black and Blue divisions. Something.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #3376
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Big Ten - bridging the gap between football trophies and the world of medical condition naming.

Seriously, who wants to get Kwalick-Clark? Sounds painful
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #3377
tarcone
Coordinator

Posted at Bigtenfever.com by mjp28

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #3378
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dumb dumb dumb logo. I'd rather just keep the old logo and get rid of the hidden 11.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #3379
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think we should have the Corso and Herbstreit divisions. Although technically both guys were associated with the same division.... D'oh.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #3381
Passacaglia
Coordinator

While I don't like these names, I can't think of anything better. They brought this on themselves when they decided not to bother with geography when creating the divisions. At this point, might as well name them based on how they were formed and call them the Michigan and Ohio State divisions.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3382
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

What about West and East. I know it's boring, but at least it makes relative sense.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #3383
Passacaglia
Coordinator

And put Michigan, the third eastern-most team, in the Big Ten West?

I don't see what would have been wrong with a North division of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Northwestern, and Iowa, and a South division of Purdue, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, and Nebraska.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #3384
molson
General Manager

Great example of what happens when a corporation overthinks things.

East/West, North/South (even if things don't match up geographically perfectly - no sports divisions do, it's not a big deal), or name them after some conference legend. It doesn't matter that the latter is "exclusive" or whatever stupid reason they used to determine that wasn't good.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #3385
Ksyrup

I think they discounted the peoples' names for division names because they had already come up with the awards naming idea and didn't want to use names for both. Which makes some sense.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #3386
MJ4H
Coordinator

Let's name the divisions Batman and Robin. Almost anything is better than Legends and Leaders.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #3387
Drake
assmaster

One of my coworkers just suggested Lakes & Plains (instead of Leaders and Legends). I actually sort of dig that.

Last edited by Drake : 12-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #3388
Ksyrup

Aches and Pains?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #3389
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Any of these are better than Leaders and Legends:

Penn & Teller
Sigfried & Roy
Might & Magic
Dungeons & Dragons
Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #3390
lungs
Pro Rookie

Yogi and Boo Boo
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #3391
molson
General Manager

Maybe they should alternate division names according to who wins the conference championship game every year.

The awesomes and the dog poop.

Last edited by molson : 12-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #3392
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cheese and Crackers.

Wait, I guess you can't have just Wisconsin in its own division...
Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #3393
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
One of my coworkers just suggested Lakes & Plains (instead of Leaders and Legends). I actually sort of dig that.

He probably got it from this article, which also gives a different reason for why they didn't named them Woody and Bo ("it's too exclusive"): Thoughts on division names, logo, trophies - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Quote:
Thoughts on division names, logo, trophies
December, 13, 2010
DEC 13
2:09
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Adam Rittenberg
The Big Ten finally revealed the new names for its football divisions, along with a new logo and 18 (count 'em) new trophies for football.

Sadly, my two suggestions for division names -- Delany and Delaney, and Adam and Rittenberg -- did not make the cut.

I'll get to my reaction for each part below. Overall, I feel like many of you do: The league could have done better and didn't help its national perception, at least in the short term. But unlike many folks, I care a lot more about who is in the divisions than what they are called. The amount of attention this topic generated really surprised me.

Overall, the reaction from fans and media members hasn't been positive.

"Any time you have something new, whether it’s a mark or trophies, it takes some time to get used to," league commissioner Jim Delany said on a teleconference.

That might be wishful thinking.

DIVISION NAMES

Meh.

After months of taking suggestions and brainstorming possibilities, the Big Ten ended up with Legends and Leaders. Here's the breakdown:

Legends Division: Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and Nebraska

Leaders Division: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana

While the league's intentions here are understandable -- to honor its rich history and long lineup of legendary figures -- the Big Ten got too caught up in avoiding specific names. Make no mistake: The Big Ten was never going to name the divisions Woody and Bo. Way too exclusive. But there are former commissioners who could have been honored or historical figures who represent this area of the country.

The league also wanted to avoid geography in the division names. While I completely agreed that geography shouldn't have been the deciding factor in determining how teams were assigned to divisions, I didn't have nearly as big of an issue with geographical distinctions for division names. Lakes and Plains would have been just fine with me.

The Big Ten also couldn't have gone wrong with names that sounded patriotic: Liberty and Freedom or Stars and Stripes (suggested by the Chicago Tribune's Teddy Greenstein) would work.

"People suggested Schembechler and Hayes," Delany said. "Any time you looked at it, it seemed to be too exclusive and not inclusive enough. ... As we looked at ourselves, we believed at the core of who we are are our traditions and heritage. And those traditions are largely people, legendary people."

The Big Ten recognized plenty of those people in the new trophies. But Legends and Leaders is too generic, a little too arrogant and too Little League for me. Another good point raised by Greenstein: Two divisions that start with the letter "L" have a negative connotation in sports.

LOGO

As my wife often reminds me, I don't have a great eye for design. Aside from being named "Most Improved" in a middle school art class, my skills in this department are limited.

The Big Ten's new logo has its flaws, but I can live with it. The mark, created by Pentagram Design, certainly comes off a bit retro and looks more like something that would have been done when Delany first became commissioner in 1990 than now.

There's no hidden "12" in the logo like there is with "11" in the current Big Ten logo.

"A lot of people thought we would use negative space to [use] 12," Delany said. "Pretty much everybody in the design world said, 'No, don't do that.' "

What the league tried to do was create a link back to its pre-Penn State logo with the B-I-G 1-0, substituting the "I" in Big as the No. 1. Asked about the "G" looking like the No. 6, which feeds into the conspiracy theory that the Big Ten eventually will expand to 16 teams, Delany said, "We were thinking 10, not 16."

TROPHIES

Of the three new elements, the Big Ten definitely did best here. While 18 trophies is extremely excessive, the league was able to honor some of its great players and coaches.

The big additions are the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy given to the winner of the Big Ten football title game, which beings next year. The trophy honors former University of Chicago coach Amos Alonzo Stagg and current Penn State coach Joe Paterno. The MVP of the title game receives the Grange-Griffin Trophy, which recognizes former Illinois star Red Grange and former Ohio State star Archie Griffin, the only two-time winner of the Heisman Trophy.

The complaint some have raised with these trophies is that they honor current Big Ten coaches like Paterno and Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, whose name appears on the Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year award.

I don't have a problem with this. We don't need to wait for Paterno to die or stop coaching to recognize what he means to the Big Ten and to college football. While he hasn't been in the Big Ten for most of his career, his presence in this league is felt.

Many of the league's greats are still alive, so why not recognize them?

"A lot of people say you can't honor somebody who was alive, you can’t honor somebody who was active," Delany said. "I don’t subscribe to those rules. We were trying to get a good blend of great people, deceased and alive, who stand for great athletic contributions."

I also like that none of the Big Ten's trophies will be connected with corporate sponsorships.

Here's the full list of new trophies:

Championship game trophies
Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy: Honors Amos Alonzo Stagg (University of Chicago) and Joe Paterno (Penn State)
Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP: Honors Harold Edward “Red” Grange (Illinois) and Archie Griffin (Ohio State)
Postgraduate Awards
Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Honors President Gerald R. Ford (former Michigan player) and Nile Kinnick (Iowa)
Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Honors Tony Dungy (Minnesota) and Anthony Thompson (Indiana)
Annual Awards/Trophies
Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year: Otto Graham (Northwestern) and Eddie George (Ohio State)
Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year: Bronislau “Bronko” Nagurski (Minnesota) and Charles Woodson (Michigan)
Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year: Wayne Woodrow “Woody” Hayes (Ohio State) and Glenn Edward “Bo” Schembechler (Michigan
Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year: Darrell Thompson (Minnesota) and Antwaan Randle El (Indiana)
Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Dave Rimington (Nebraska) and Orlando Pace (Ohio State)
Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith (Michigan State) and Courtney Brown (Penn State)
Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year: Honors Bob Griese (Purdue) and Drew Brees (Purdue)
Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year: Honors Alan Ameche (Wisconsin) and Ron Dayne (Wisconsin)
Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year: Honors Jack Tatum (Ohio State) and Rod Woodson (Purdue)
Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year: Honors Dick Butkus (Illinois) and Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern)
Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year: Honors Pat Richter (Wisconsin) and Desmond Howard (Michigan)
Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year: Honors Ted Kwalick (Penn State) and Dallas Clark (Iowa)
Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year: Honors Jim Bakken (Wisconsin) and Morten Andersen (Michigan State)
Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: Honors Thomas Dwight “Dike” Eddleman (Illinois) and Brandon Fields (Michigan State)

Whew. A lot to digest. I'll have more on the announcement, so stay tuned.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #3394
molson
General Manager

Quote:
("it's too exclusive")

I still really don't understand what that means and why it's such a huge problem.

Are we 100% sure that everyone in the existing divisions is a "legend" or a "leader?"

Last edited by molson : 12-17-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #3395
Ksyrup

It clearly means they don't want to honor just Michigan and Ohio State wit hthe names of their conferences.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #3396
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It clearly means they don't want to honor just Michigan and Ohio State wit hthe names of their conferences.

WGAS. They should do 6-way hyphenated division name then so nobody's feelings are hurt. I don't know who you'd pick from Indiana though.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #3397
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
WGAS. They should do 6-way hyphenated division name then so nobody's feelings are hurt. I don't know who you'd pick from Indiana though.

Work Bob Knight into it and all will be fine with the world.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #3398
Ksyrup

I think it's a legit issue. The division names represent the entire conference, not just the most successful football teams. Would be like calling the ACC divisions the Tomahawks and the Ibises.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #3399
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Of course it's a legit issue. Anyone that doesn't see that is an ignorant slut.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #3400
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You could have the Pros and Joes division
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote