Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #3351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

espn.com reporting that it looks like the Halladay to the Phillies deal may be dying. Blue Jays reportedly wanted Happ, Drabek, and OF prospect Dominic Brown. Phillies wanted to sub Carlos Carrasco for one pitcher (or two other position prospects for one pitcher) preferrably Drabek, Jays don't sound ready to bite.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #3352
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
espn.com reporting that it looks like the Halladay to the Phillies deal may be dying. Blue Jays reportedly wanted Happ, Drabek, and OF prospect Dominic Brown. Phillies wanted to sub Carlos Carrasco for one pitcher (or two other position prospects for one pitcher) preferrably Drabek, Jays don't sound ready to bite.

What do you do if you're Toronto? You know Halladay won't re-sign so isn't it best to get what you can for him now? Obviously we don't know what other teams are offering for Halladay but I'm betting the Phillies are offering the best package, even without including Drabek.

As an Indians fan, I wonder if things change for Cliff Lee and the Tribe if Halladay stays in Toronto. Teams looking to add a top of the rotation arm now would be down to Lee as their only option (not a bad option but not Halladay) and that could potentially force them to give up more in a bidding war for Lee. At least that's what I hope for.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #3353
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Really don't get the Phils infatuation with prospects. Halladay is the best pitcher in the MLB and I have no doubt would resign in Philly. Are any of those guys going to top the production he'd give them?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #3354
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

The Jays shouldn't be in any rush to trade him before the deadline. What they can get for him in the offseason couldn't be that much worse. Just don't do what my Twins did and accept a trade that revolves around Carlos Fucking Gomez.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-25-2009 at 11:40 AM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #3355
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What do you do if you're Toronto? You know Halladay won't re-sign so isn't it best to get what you can for him now? Obviously we don't know what other teams are offering for Halladay but I'm betting the Phillies are offering the best package, even without including Drabek.
Well, at the bare minimum any trade for Halladay has to include value that is perceived to be higher than the 2 draft picks the Jays will get as compensation if Halladay leaves in free agency. Clearly the Jays want more than that given Halladay is one of the best pitchers in the game, but they will get some compensation for him leaving, so any offer has to beat that.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #3356
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Everyone is aware that Halladay isn't a free agent until after 2010, right?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #3357
DeToxRox
Head Coach

3 names are creeping up with Detroit:

Josh Willingham, Adam Dunn and Milton Bradley.

I'd prefer Dunn to DH, but Bradley is a + Defender when he wants to be. That said he's a headcase, but if Chicago would absorb a good chunk of salary, or take back Dontrelle or Nate, you have to do it.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #3358
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Saw this elsewhere, c/p word for word:

according to Dave Cameron who has solid connections:

I’ve been hearing for a few days that the M’s were involved as a third team in a Cliff Lee to Tampa Bay deal. The Indians want more pitching than the Rays want to give up and don’t have a use for Brignac (because we already gave them an awesome LH hitting SS…), so the M’s would get Brignac and send additional pitching to the Rays.

What that looks like is up in the air. I’ve heard Morrow/Clement to Cleveland in a huge deal that also sends Victor Martinez to Tampa. I’ve heard that we’d absorb Kazmir’s contract too in order to make TB be able to fit Lee into their budget. I’ve heard smaller deals where it’s just Morrow.

Guess we’ll see.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #3359
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Everyone is aware that Halladay isn't a free agent until after 2010, right?
Good point - any return for the Jays has to beat not just the 2 draft picks they'll get, but also account for the value he'll provide next season in addition to the remainder of this season. It's a big reason why Toronto is exploring trade options now.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #3360
DeToxRox
Head Coach

FWIW I highly doubt that report but who knows.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #3361
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Rays just came back from a 9-1 deficit and beat the Jays in the 12th.

Woot!
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #3362
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

There might be something wrong with bobby Jenks.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #3363
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Watching the Phillies take on the Cardinals. Two teams I rarely see play, this game seems fairly unbalanced.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #3364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
There might be something wrong with bobby Jenks.

You're right. A person just can't be that ugly.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #3365
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You're right. A person just can't be that ugly.

Julian Tavarez can.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #3366
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL, Lugo is 4 for 5 today with a double and a triple. Apparently wasn't too bad yesterday either.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #3367
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOL, Lugo is 4 for 5 today with a double and a triple. Apparently wasn't too bad yesterday either.

No, he's been quite good in two games. LaRussa will probably sit him tomorrow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #3368
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Watching the Phillies take on the Cardinals. Two teams I rarely see play, this game seems fairly unbalanced.

/tk

Not much in the way of pitching today for Lohse and the boys.. although I believe each team had 14 hits..
Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #3369
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
It's depressing to read what the Blue Jays can get for Halladay and then look at what Bill Smith got when he gave away Halladay.
Better offers were there. He turned down a combination of Lester, Lowrie, Masterson and Crisp to go with the Mets platter of borderline prospects, and many people here were saying the Sox players/prospects were worse at the time.
Quote:
at what point can the fans just enjoy something like a hot streak like this for what it is? Do you think we'll ever reach that point?
Was it Marcus Thames who came out and hit like 12 home runs the first 2 weeks a season or two ago, and then ended up with less than 20 on the season? Hot streaks happen. If he keeps it up the rest of the season, maybe I could see rumors starting, but it's way too small a sample size for that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #3370
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Was it Marcus Thames who came out and hit like 12 home runs the first 2 weeks a season or two ago, and then ended up with less than 20 on the season? Hot streaks happen. If he keeps it up the rest of the season, maybe I could see rumors starting, but it's way too small a sample size for that.

Chris Shelton. 9 HR in the first 13 games, then by August he was in AAA.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #3371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sure seems that the D-Backs run into a very high amount of outs
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #3372
Atocep
Coordinator

Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees called to see what it would take to get Halladay and JP told him Joba, Hughes, and 2 more prospects.

From the Angels he wanted Joe Saunders, Sean O'Sullivan, Aybar, and Brandon Wood.

My guess is if the Rays called he'd just ask to swap 40 man rosters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 AM   #3373
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From the Angels he wanted Joe Saunders, Sean O'Sullivan, Aybar, and Brandon Wood.

Yeah, read this, too. Ricciardi's nuts. Not so much about the talent requested but the positions asked for. Yeah, hey, Tony, to get Halladay, we want you to send us one of your clearcut top four SPs, and the top candidate for your fifth SP spot as well. That way, you'll still need a SP from somewhere else after you're done dealing with us. Oh, yeah, and for the position prospects, we want to take BOTH of your young SS's, instead of just one, and looking at another position for the second position prospect.

I can do Saunders and Wood OR Aybar. But if Saunders goes, candidates for the remaining rotation spots have to stay. If Toronto wants Reckling or Bell or Walden for that second pitcher, okay, we'll talk, but the Angels still have to field a five man rotation (dumbass). I'm not even going to talk about how silly the Wood/Aybar thing is (why on Earth would the Jays think the Angels would move both of their SSs in one deal? To give Izturis a chance?).

I am thinking Doc's gonna stay in Toronto after all. If JP keeps asking for deals like this, and the one from Philly which includes both Happ and Drabek, he's not really trying to move Halladay at all.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #3374
MrDNA
High School Varsity

It does seem like Ricciardi wants to pull the wool over team's eyes. Like "Hey Guyzzzz... Roy can pitch every game 4 u, so give me all yer pitchers!"
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #3375
Bad-example
College Starter

Pretty clear he doesn't want to trade him to an AL team.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #3376
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't blame Ricciardi one bit. If you're going to give up your best by a wide margin then you make sure you get a ton back in return, or else you don't do the deal at this point in the scenario. He can get the same single uber prospect deals down the road.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #3377
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Chris Shelton. 9 HR in the first 13 games, then by August he was in AAA.

Delgado hit 8 in his first 13 of 2004. Went 1 month and 11 days before hitting his 9th and was sent down.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #3378
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't blame Ricciardi one bit. If you're going to give up your best by a wide margin then you make sure you get a ton back in return, or else you don't do the deal at this point in the scenario. He can get the same single uber prospect deals down the road.

Exactly. The Jays still have him under contract for next year so there's no good reason to settle for less than an ideal package at this point.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #3379
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hochevar continues his great run of late and breaks the long Royals losing streak. 7 innings, 13 strikeouts, 5 hits, 2 runs and 0 walks. Really happy to see him finally panning out as the prospect the franchise saw when they selected him.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #3380
samifan24
Pro Starter

Nick Cafardo is reporting that it was the Indians that turned down Clay Bucholz for Victor Martinez, not the other way around as was previously reported. The Sox countered with Masterson, Bowden and an outfield prospect for Martinez and were also turned down.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #3381
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nick Cafardo is reporting that it was the Indians that turned down Clay Bucholz for Victor Martinez, not the other way around as was previously reported. The Sox countered with Masterson, Bowden and an outfield prospect for Martinez and were also turned down.

good...i'm glad they were turned down. That's far too much for a 30+ year old catcher who realistically is probably better suited to 1B/DH when those are not the positions you're trying to fill

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-26-2009 at 12:35 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #3382
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Phils are now talking to the Pirates about Zack Duke.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #3383
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Vent:

How many fcking times do you have to throw Wellemeyer out there to know HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!???????????
Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #3384
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Vent:

How many fcking times do you have to throw Wellemeyer out there to know HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!???????????

.340 ave against LH hitting and the Phils put out 7 LH today in the lineup. Ouch.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #3385
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
good...i'm glad they were turned down. That's far too much for a 30+ year old catcher who realistically is probably better suited to 1B/DH when those are not the positions you're trying to fill

Wow I know V-Mart's defense leaves a lot to be desired but I think most teams would ask for Bucholz and more in a package for a player of Martinez's caliber.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #3386
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow I know V-Mart's defense leaves a lot to be desired but I think most teams would ask for Bucholz and more in a package for a player of Martinez's caliber.

right. but i don't think Martinez is a player that the Sox ought to be chasing after if that's the price. he doesn't necessarily fill a need that they need that much.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #3387
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Are we talking about the same 30 year old 1B/DH with a career 118 OPS+? He's a good player, and I'd love to have him, but he's not in the upper echelon of hitters. Regardless of who turned down Buchholz for Martinez I'm glad it was turned down.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #3388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Are we talking about the same 30 year old 1B/DH with a career 118 OPS+? He's a good player, and I'd love to have him, but he's not in the upper echelon of hitters. Regardless of who turned down Buchholz for Martinez I'm glad it was turned down.

+1
Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #3389
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

His bat is probably the best available in the market, poor defense or otherwise. He's a massive offensive upgrade over Varitek and would be great in that Sox lineup. Yes 1B/DH is crowded in Boston but that's a luxury to have when you're as talented as the Red Sox.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #3390
samifan24
Pro Starter

dola-

Martinez is a career .297 hitter who averages 20 HR and 102 RBIs each season over an 8 year career. That is very good production from a weak position no matter how bad his defense may be.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #3391
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed.

But if you're seriously trying to craft a deal, you don't make stupid offers that take both of a team's SSs or take too many form one area. Ask for the same talent but spread it around. Ask for a SS and a CF. Or a C and a 3B. Etc. Etc.

My issue with his Angels' proposal had nothing to do with the talent requested but the lack of thought put into the likelihood the Angels would accept a deal that, because of the way it was constituted, would cripple them too much in one or two specific area. It's a deal designed to be turned down, which tells me that Ricciardi isn't interested in dealing Halladay at all. This is all just some farce he's running.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #3392
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is Ricciardi gone at the end of the season regardless of whether or not he deals Halladay?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #3393
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed.

But if you're seriously trying to craft a deal, you don't make stupid offers that take both of a team's SSs or take too many form one area. Ask for the same talent but spread it around. Ask for a SS and a CF. Or a C and a 3B. Etc. Etc.

My issue with his Angels' proposal had nothing to do with the talent requested but the lack of thought put into the likelihood the Angels would accept a deal that, because of the way it was constituted, would cripple them too much in one or two specific area. It's a deal designed to be turned down, which tells me that Ricciardi isn't interested in dealing Halladay at all. This is all just some farce he's running.

i agree
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #3394
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Exactly. The Jays still have him under contract for next year so there's no good reason to settle for less than an ideal package at this point.

He's going to get considerably better offers right now than this time next year. A team that trades for him now gets him for a playoff run this year plus all of next year. Next year the only thing the teams really have to do is beat the value of 2 draft picks.

He doesn't have to move him right now, but considering the team is destined for another 4th place finish next year I don't see why you wouldn't take the maximum value you could get from him.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #3395
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't take the maximum value you could get from him.

Because you're probably going to run off a big chunk of your fan base this season as well as season ticket sales next year once you deal him.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #3396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My issue with his Angels' proposal had nothing to do with the talent requested but the lack of thought put into the likelihood the Angels would accept a deal that, because of the way it was constituted, would cripple them too much in one or two specific area.

That is, of course, IF what we're hearing about the deal is even accurate.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #3397
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Because you're probably going to run off a big chunk of your fan base this season as well as season ticket sales next year once you deal him.

They could probably offset those losses by firing JP.

I get that and I completely understand why a team would think that way, but a team taking that approach in the AL East will NEVER finish better than 3rd.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3398
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is, of course, IF what we're hearing about the deal is even accurate.

Doesn't matter. That is what we're specifically discussing. If you want to introduce other hypotheticals, go for it.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #3399
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't matter. That is what we're specifically discussing. If you want to introduce other hypotheticals, go for it.

Okay fine.

If that's what you want from somebody then you ask for it. If they don't like it then they don't have to do the deal. The likelihood of whether the Angels would go along has zero bearing on what you want from them in return unless they're both your only potential trade partner and you actually want the deal.

The Angels have nothing resembling any sort of divine right to get a deal that suits them to a T -- which is precisely what you sound like you expect in your post -- and it's downright absurd to suggest otherwise.

edit to add: Given the situation, I find it highly doubtful that the call was placed from Toronto to Anaheim, err Los Angeles, err wherever saying "Hey, we'd love to send you Halladay if you'll just give us X,Y, and Z". Far more likely that the call was placed from the west coast asking what it would take and the Blue Jays answered the question. If the Angels or anyone else doesn't like the answer that's really not Toronto's problem.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-26-2009 at 03:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #3400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay fine.

If that's what you want from somebody then you ask for it. If they don't like it then they don't have to do the deal. The likelihood of whether the Angels would go along has zero bearing on what you want from them in return unless they're both your only potential trade partner and you actually want the deal.

And that's why I said Toronto doesn't want to make a deal, and called it a farce.

Quote:
The Angels have nothing resembling any sort of divine right to get a deal that suits them to a T -- which is precisely what you sound like you expect in your post -- and it's downright absurd to suggest otherwise.

You're as usual reading into it what you want, and not what's being said. I never say the Angels have some divine right to a deal. That's a ridiculous poor misread on your part. I am saying if Toronto wants to do a deal, they should offer one they think has a chance to be accepted. Since they did not, I propose they didn't want to do a deal at all.