Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #3301
Schmidty
Coordinator

I always find it funny that the people arguing against this stuff, don't have kids.

Anyway, I do agree that the sex thing is way less harmful than the violence thing.

On that note, I'm out of this conversation.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #3302
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Umm, I have a kid.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #3303
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I always find it funny that the people arguing against this stuff, don't have kids.

Anyway, I do agree that the sex thing is way less harmful than the violence thing.

Yeah, you better run.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #3304
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Seriously? I'm going to go ahead and argue that you are a prude, with the evidence of such prudery quoted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Jaws, Gremlins, and Poltergeist were all PG.

No way Jaws was PG.

Plus, I think a distinction needs to be made about movies that were PG before PG-13 came along.

I wasn't horrified, or mortified. We're pretty open-minded with the kids, honestly. I'd say the more accurate term is "mystified," as in, "Why the hell is that necessary?" There were plenty of scenes where we both looked at each other with the "WTF?" face.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #3305
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

As stated before, Jaws was PG.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3306
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Bad examples...Gremlins was one of the movies that caused the PG-13 rating to be created.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3307
boberot
High School Varsity

I stand corrected. Jaws was PG.

DAMN.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3308
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Not to tell you how to raise your kids but personally I would be much more concerned with the end of Marley and Me and my kids then some scene implying sex between married adults.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #3309
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Umm, I have a kid.

Congrats!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #3310
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Not to tell you how to raise your kids but personally I would be much more concerned with the end of Marley and Me and my kids then some scene implying sex between married adults.

I suppose I should have anticipated that this would snowball. The whole beginning and ending of my observation was, "Damn. Seems like an awful lot of innuendo for a PG movie."

That's all. I'm not against sex. I'd rather have my kids see suggestions of romantic love than violence any day. No question. Now that I explore further, I'm obviously WAY off base with what I thought PG stood for:

A PG-rated motion picture should be investigated by parents before they let their younger children attend. The PG rating indicates, in the view of the Rating Board, that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, and parents should make that decision.

The more mature themes in some PG-rated motion pictures may call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated motion picture.

Funny how drug use becomes the awful taboo in this equation, but I now admit that everything in the movie was well within the expressed range of PG movies.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #3311
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I wasn't horrified, or mortified. We're pretty open-minded with the kids, honestly. I'd say the more accurate term is "mystified," as in, "Why the hell is that necessary?" There were plenty of scenes where we both looked at each other with the "WTF?" face.

But this is why I think you're a prude. Those scenes are harmless. Your reaction to them is prudish behavior. Non-prudes think nothing of it, and enjoy the little joke, then move on to bawling their eyes out for the remainder of that movie.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #3312
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

We all complain on here what team a or team b should do and none of us are owners, commish, or coaches of sports teams. So think it's perfectly fine for those of us that don't have kids can argue about this type of stuff.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #3313
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post

Funny how drug use becomes the awful taboo in this equation, but I now admit that everything in the movie was well within the expressed range of PG movies.

Too bad the alcohol companies have the MPAA around their finger since it should be in that same area...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #3314
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Even The Goonies was PG, and that was after PG-13 was created. That movie had tons of sexual references, innuendos and implied sex.

That's why I loved that movie so much as a kid.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #3315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Maybe he should have investigated why the movie is rated PG.

Quote:
Title: Marley & Me (2008)
Rating: PG
Rating Reason: Rated PG for thematic material, some suggestive content and language.
Distributor: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #3316
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Maybe he should have investigated why the movie is rated PG.

No no, it's much better to just haul the kid along and then complain about the content afterward.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #3317
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i rate this conversation a 1/10.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #3318
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i rate this conversation a 1/10.

does that mean it rated G?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3319
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
does that mean it rated G?

No I think 1/10 is pure and utter crap...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #3320
Swaggs
Coordinator

Am I really the only one who has seen Year One?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #3321
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

I have kids too, and I think it's not a big deal.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #3322
boberot
High School Varsity

OK, I'm going to defer my lengthy response so as not to derail the entire thread.

In the meantime, I'll bask in that good ol' FOFC smugness that we've all come to know and love so well.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #3323
RainMaker
General Manager

Changeling (4 out of 10) - Really long movie that seemed to never really fixate on the direction it wanted to go. Bounced around from missing child to police corruption to grief to hope to friendships and on and on. Never really stuck to a theme and dragged itself out too far with too many unnecessary scenes (movies was 2.5 hours).

I thought Jolie's performance was overated. She was good in the role but nothing spectacular. The supporting cast was strong with Malkovich and Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice) stealing the show. The scenery was perfect for the 1920's but that's it. A pretty movie with good acting that had a horribly written screenplay.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #3324
rowech
Pro Starter

Munich (5/10) -- Parts of it I liked, parts of it dragged a long time. I think sometimes movies can't appreciate that the audience can understand how their characters feel with only a couple of scenes...this one keeps driving home the mixed emotions of the characters...unfortunately, it detracts (in my opinion) what is at the core a good movie. As it is though, I felt it was way too long.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #3325
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Even The Goonies was PG, and that was after PG-13 was created. That movie had tons of sexual references, innuendos and implied sex.

That's why I loved that movie so much as a kid.

The Goonies had tons of sexual references, innuendos and implied sex? Seriously? The Goonies?

I need to re-watch that movie, I dont remember anything like that.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #3326
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Of course. There were characters called Chunk, Mouth and Wang and they all gang banged Andy in the well.

No one touched Stef though because, who would want to fuck Martha Plimpton.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-27-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #3327
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Shawshank Redemption - 10/10. Been awhile since I saw the unedited non-TBS/TNT version. It was on one of the movie channels and I stayed up til 2 AM watching it. It's just good.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-27-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #3328
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The Goonies had tons of sexual references, innuendos and implied sex? Seriously? The Goonies?

The kid adjusting the rear view mirror to look down her shirt and Haim and Plimpton making out are 2 I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #3329
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
The kid adjusting the rear view mirror to look down her shirt and Haim and Plimpton making out are 2 I can remember off the top of my head.

I remember the kissing scene, but that was pretty innocent and I dont qualify as sexual innuendo, etc.

I forgot abot looking down the shirt. Still pretty tame.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #3330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There was also all the gay innuendo between Chunk and Sloth
Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #3331
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There was also all the gay innuendo between Chunk and Sloth

Sloth love Chunk. Sloth wish quit Chunk
Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #3332
Lorena
Unregistered

Gymkata - 6.5 / 10

so bad, so good
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #3333
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Gymkata - 6.5 / 10

so bad, so good

lol...there are few movies as golden as the crap that is Gymkata. I used to watch that whenever it came on late, late at night at 2 a.m. or whatever.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #3334
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Holy shit...I still need to see Gymkata. I'm not sure how, though.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #3335
thesloppy
Pro Starter

THE SKILL OF GYMNASTICS, THE KILL OF KARATE!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #3336
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Gymkata actually saved my life once, as I wandered into an eastern European crazy-town (apparently they just stick all the nutso folk in a single village, it's easier to manage that way) and I would've never been able to fend them off single-handedly without my newly hardened hybrid skillz. And the omnipresent town pommel horse. Crazy euros fucking love the pommel horse (lucky for me, but really, who doesn't love the pommel horse?) and even the smallest or craziest of villages keep five or six scattered about town in central outdoor locations for spontaneous horsing of pommel, and such.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #3337
rowech
Pro Starter

Notorious (10/10) -- As the classics go, this one is tough to beat. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Raines. Directed by Hitchcock. I've wanted to see this for a long time.

Grant convinces Bergman to become a spy in Rio de Janiero by re-introducing herself to Raines' character after knowing each other previously. This happens after a small trist between Grant/Bergman. They argue about some things and Bergman, in an effort to become more convincing in her role, marries Raines' character. (Grant is not happy about it) The spy work continues on Raines and what are believed to be Nazis in Brazil after the war. That's as far as I'll go...

I think the one thing Hitchcock does more than any other director in the black/white films is play with lighting. There are some shots with different lighting in this movie that are so unique. There are a couple of others that just the look of the scene will be something you've never seen before.

With those three actors, you know you'll get good performances and you do. It's not Casablanca but its at least a little of the same mold.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #3338
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was a huge Bergman fan after seeing Casablanca. That movie blew me away, thanks in no small amount to the massive crush on Ingrid. Notorious was good too.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #3339
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I was a huge Bergman fan after seeing Casablanca. That movie blew me away, thanks in no small amount to the massive crush on Ingrid. Notorious was good too.

I think she very well could be the best looking actress ever.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #3340
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Max Payne (5 / 10): I was a big fan of the original video game on PS2 (gotta love bullet-time), but this one ended up being a bit of a disappointment. While there was some enjoyable gun-play choreography involved here, Wahlberg was mis-cast as Max and the supporting cast was weak and one-dimensional. Overall a very 'meh' way to spend an hour and forty minutes.

Night Watch (7.5 / 10) and Day Watch (8.5 / 10): If you like movies that are a little "different," and you haven't seen these yet, I recommend them. They're directed by Timur Bekmambetov, before he directed Wanted. The acting is good and the special effects / photography are really different than anything else I've ever seen (if you have the option, watch the subtitled version...Bekmambetov does some neat things with the subtitles). The premise is that there are "others," people who have supernatural abilities (witches, vampires, lycanthropes, etc) that are split into two camps, the light others and the dark others. A truce has existed between these two groups for a thousand years, but the truce is tenuous, and legend says that when war is renewed between the two factions, it will mean the end of the world.

I only have two real criticisms of these two movies: one is that things seem a little disjointed at times, and I wasn't quite sure where some of the scenes and characters came from, but they are foreign moveis (Russian) so perhaps some things were just lost in translation. My second knock is that supposedly this is planned as a trilogy with the 3rd installment in the works, but things were wrapped up quite nicely at the conclusion of Day Watch...I'm not sure how they turn this into a third movie. But that doesn't mean that I won't check it out when it is released.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #3341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Notorious (10/10) -- .

When I first saw this I though you were talking about the notorious BIG bio movie out right now, I thought you had gone insane.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #3342
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Max Payne (5 / 10): I was a big fan of the original video game on PS2 (gotta love bullet-time), but this one ended up being a bit of a disappointment. While there was some enjoyable gun-play choreography involved here, Wahlberg was mis-cast as Max and the supporting cast was weak and one-dimensional. Overall a very 'meh' way to spend an hour and forty minutes.

I actually enjoyed it. Could they have done better? Yes. Could they have done worse? Much worse actually. I thought Wahlberg did a good job as Max Payne. I wish they would have made him a little more bad-ass though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #3343
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I wish they would have made him a little more bad-ass though.

Shooter bad ass or The Happening bad ass?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #3344
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Never seen either of these, so I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #3345
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

I haven't seen The Happening yet, but some more Shooter bad-assness would have definitely been a help.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #3346
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I think she very well could be the best looking actress ever.

Loved her accent too.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #3347
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but I just watched The Happening, and I didn't hate it. This movie got some pretty awful reviews, but other than some really horrible acting, I rather enjoyed the story and the tension. The movie felt a lot like The Andromeda Strain with the people at the complete mercy of nature. Overall, I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Last edited by BrianD : 06-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #3348
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

UP - 6/10: It was ok, but not nearly as good as the hype. It was a sweet movie about a man trying to do good by his late wife, finding a son he never had. But after "Wall-E", "Finding Nemo", and "The Incredibles" was expecting more. The 'enemy' struck me as very dull and I find myself thinking this movie is dragging in the mid 3rd, and it's only 90 minutes long!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #3349
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Notorious (10/10) -- As the classics go, this one is tough to beat. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Raines. Directed by Hitchcock. I've wanted to see this for a long time.

Grant convinces Bergman to become a spy in Rio de Janiero by re-introducing herself to Raines' character after knowing each other previously. This happens after a small trist between Grant/Bergman. They argue about some things and Bergman, in an effort to become more convincing in her role, marries Raines' character. (Grant is not happy about it) The spy work continues on Raines and what are believed to be Nazis in Brazil after the war. That's as far as I'll go...

I think the one thing Hitchcock does more than any other director in the black/white films is play with lighting. There are some shots with different lighting in this movie that are so unique. There are a couple of others that just the look of the scene will be something you've never seen before.

With those three actors, you know you'll get good performances and you do. It's not Casablanca but its at least a little of the same mold.

Amazing movie - it still gives me chills in a way no horror movie ever could. That final scene ... just wow.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #3350
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
UP - 6/10: It was ok, but not nearly as good as the hype. It was a sweet movie about a man trying to do good by his late wife, finding a son he never had. But after "Wall-E", "Finding Nemo", and "The Incredibles" was expecting more. The 'enemy' struck me as very dull and I find myself thinking this movie is dragging in the mid 3rd, and it's only 90 minutes long!!!

I was starting to wonder if I'm the only person that wasn't blown away by this.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote