Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #3254
Logan
Head Coach

What was the big play?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #3255
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Wait a sec...gamecenter said Kaplar doubled at first. Was it actually close to a double or were they just making that up?
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #3256
kingfc22
Head Coach

CF Wise robbed a home run, running into the wall and juggling it to the ground. At least that is how Jon Miller described it on the Giants radio broadcast.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #3257
Jas_lov
College Starter

It was a long drive deep to CF and Wise leaped up at the wall and made the catch. If he didn't, the ball was going out of the park.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3258
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Was that the final out?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

holy shit, that was the craziest catch ever.

edit) first out of the inning. Basically robbed a homer, and then almost dropped it on the way back in, and then more or less barehanded it to control. Insane.

Last edited by stevew : 07-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3260
Logan
Head Coach

Impressive.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3261
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah, his glove was at least a foot over the top of the fence and then he juggled it on the way down before securing it with his non-gloved hand. Pretty awesome.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #3262
MikeVic
Head Coach

Didn't Wise just come in as a defensive replacement too?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #3263
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

MARK BUEHRLE I LOVE YOU
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #3264
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The play was the first out of the inning.

Seriously one of the best plays I've ever seen. On the way down he bobbled it and basically had to catch it with his bare hand.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #3265
TheNorm
Mascot

That was a great play by Wise, ah well, tip of the hat to Buehrle. Hopefully that's the highlight of the rest of the week for the White Sox.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #3266
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I didn't post here earlier, didn't want to jinx it. but an AMAZING PLAY, and some amazing pitching today. oh yea

NICE TRY DETOX
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #3267
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Reminds me of the Otis Nixon play against the Pirates, except that one preserved a victory.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #3268
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm very happy for Mark Buehrle, Dewayne Wise and the White Sox. What an impressive feat.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #3269
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This play apparently happened 15 minutes ago, and I'm increasingly annoyed that I haven't seen the video anywhere.

I love the internet age.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #3270
Logan
Head Coach

Almost sounds like Endy Chavez in the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, at least the dead run part (as opposed to having a chance to plant and time the leap).

Enough talk...there's gotta be a link to share.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #3271
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
This play apparently happened 15 minutes ago, and I'm increasingly annoyed that I haven't seen the video anywhere.

I love the internet age.

Hahaha me too. Where the hell is a video already!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #3272
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hahaha me too. Where the hell is a video already!
Seriously. What am I, amish? Let's go!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #3273
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

espn people.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #3274
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

its amazing, but even more amazing that it was to preserve a perfect game in the 9th inning.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #3275
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

also video is on front page of mlb.com
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #3276
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #3277
Logan
Head Coach

Bunch of people won't be able to tell their boss that they saw a perfect game.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #3278
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks, finally!

Good catch.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #3279
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I couldn't be having a better day! OMG
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #3280
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just watched it on the iphone mlb app.

Unreal play, especially given that that would have been the first play Wise was in for I'm assuming? Nice move by the skipper and Buerhle is probably buying them both an awfully nice dinner.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #3281
Logan
Head Coach

I can't believe Ramon Castro caught the fuckin thing.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #3282
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

It's my girlfriends birthday, and she woke up to me screaming and yelling some nonsense about how I'll love dewayne wise for the rest of my life.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #3283
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola damn these people are quick! from Wise' wikipedia page

Quote:
On July 23, 2009, Wise made a spectacular home run robbing catch in the 9th inning to preserve a perfect game thrown by Mark Buehrle.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #3284
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Awesome.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #3285
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
If I'm the player in question I would be thinking about passing up whatever deal is on the table now and then what could happen when I throw my arm out pitching for some independent league team who doesn't give two shits about what happens to me so long as I'm on the mound as often as possible so tickets get sold.

I might be thinking about what might happen if I don't pitch as well as I have been lately and after re-entering the draft I could slide a few spots...or rounds. Whoops.
So you take the first offer the team pushes your way? You don't try to negotiate at all? That's your right, and as the client it's ultimately your call. But are you really telling me you wouldn't want someone to help you negotiate to see if you can do better than what you'd get on your own?

As for specific points you bring up, in particular this one stands out:

Quote:
I'm also thinking about the fact that I'm going to hit free agency one year later because I'm holding out for a extra mil or two (no idea what Stras has been offered/is expecting) now meanwhile I could be giving up 10's of millions of dollars for what would've been my first year of free agency.
The difference between what Strasburg appears to be asking for right now and what the Nats are probably offering is far more than a mil or two. And with the fragile nature of pitchers and the frequency that they blow their arms out, it's hardly a sure thing that he'll hit his free agency years as a guy in demand. Strasburg knows he's in heavy demand now - there's a decent chance he won't be in demand by the time he'd hit free agency. For pitchers, there's a big incentive to maximize your payday now, because you may not ever see another big one.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #3286
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
So you take the first offer the team pushes your way? You don't try to negotiate at all? That's your right, and as the client it's ultimately your call. But are you really telling me you wouldn't want someone to help you negotiate to see if you can do better than what you'd get on your own?

There's negotiating and then there is demanding...Bora$ uses the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The difference between what Strasburg appears to be asking for right now and what the Nats are probably offering is far more than a mil or two. And with the fragile nature of pitchers and the frequency that they blow their arms out, it's hardly a sure thing that he'll hit his free agency years as a guy in demand. Strasburg knows he's in heavy demand now - there's a decent chance he won't be in demand by the time he'd hit free agency. For pitchers, there's a big incentive to maximize your payday now, because you may not ever see another big one.

So the team needs to take ALL the risk on whether he even makes the team at some point, is able to even play for the majority of his contract, and is worth every penny of the deal?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #3287
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So the team needs to take ALL the risk on whether he even makes the team at some point, is able to even play for the majority of his contract, and is worth every penny of the deal?

Every contract is a balancing act of risk vs. reward. If they don't like the balance then they don't have to sign him.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #3288
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wtf? Demanding? Tell you what, I want you to work for min wage. And if you complain, that's "demanding." This just comes across as petty jealousy; "oh my gawd, how dare a player demand big money for his services."

The team gets 6 years of cost-controlled major league service. A marginal win is worth about $4M on the open market; 6 ML years of Strasburg will far exceed the value of whatever contract he signs. If the team does not believe Strasburg is worth it, they are free to draft someone else. If he was on the open market, he would get $50M; easily. For him, this may be the only contract of his life, and he's only allowed to negotiate with one party; I'd damn well get every $ I can.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #3289
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And it works for him. He's a huge success, and his players are successful because of him.

I'd love to see it all crash down upon him, have a couple of high profile failures where his aggressive tactics backfire on him - but it doesn't really happen. He's obviously not an idiot, he knows where that line is.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #3290
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think the problem is that MLB contracts are guaranteed. that seems to be somewhat of a consensus?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #3291
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Wtf? Demanding? Tell you what, I want you to work for min wage. And if you complain, that's "demanding." This just comes across as petty jealousy; "oh my gawd, how dare a player demand big money for his services."

The team gets 6 years of cost-controlled major league service. A marginal win is worth about $4M on the open market; 6 ML years of Strasburg will far exceed the value of whatever contract he signs. If the team does not believe Strasburg is worth it, they are free to draft someone else. If he was on the open market, he would get $50M; easily. For him, this may be the only contract of his life, and he's only allowed to negotiate with one party; I'd damn well get every $ I can.
Crapshoot gets it. johnnyshaka doesn't.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #3292
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

CS, not sure why you are getting so irritated as this is the second time you've quoted me and started with "wtf"...huh? And I'm not jealous of these guys at all, in fact, if it weren't for them I couldn't enjoy the great game of baseball so I'm thankful for them.

I have no problem working for minimum wage when I have no experience and I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole...and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's done it, and I won't be the last.

Quote:

So a team that can't afford to miss on that magnitude (need players and don't have the scratch to gamble it away) is left with a pretty big decision...put all the eggs in one basket and hope to God he doesn't get hurt...is as good as advertised...and hope he doesn't get hurt. But on the other hand, some of the more well off guys can take that risk any day of the week and twice on Sundays. If he doesn't work out, that's OK, it's just money and we'll go sign the best guy on the market to take his place...oh well. That's why it bugs me...this system only works for about half a dozen teams...and that's stretching it.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #3293
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Having seen the replays a few times, I'm not sure that the Wise play would have been a Home Run. It looks like it was coming down at a pretty steep angle and would've hit just below the top of the fence.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #3294
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Having seen the replays a few times, I'm not sure that the Wise play would have been a Home Run. It looks like it was coming down at a pretty steep angle and would've hit just below the top of the fence.

Still would've ended the bid for a perfect game, though.

And for those keeping score at home, Garrett Jones knocked in a couple of runs (so far) tonight without hitting a homer.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #3295
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Still would've ended the bid for a perfect game, though.

And for those keeping score at home, Garrett Jones knocked in a couple of runs (so far) tonight without hitting a homer.

Definitely. I'm certainly not suggesting it wasn't a great play.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #3296
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah-Garrett Fuckin' Jones was 3-4 tonight.

The pirates chase Haren in 5, then proceed to give up 10 unanswered runs. Not a good day today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #3297
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I have no problem working for minimum wage when I have no experience and I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole...and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's done it, and I won't be the last.

The difference is that when you are hired at minimum wage you are not required to work for minimum wage for six years, have a high chance at injury/failure, and are not barred from working at any other company in your field.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #3298
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can the White Sox get that buffoon off the microphone!

Great performance is almost tainted by that horrendous radio call.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #3299
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Can the White Sox get that buffoon off the microphone!

Great performance is almost tainted by that horrendous radio call.

Radio call? You mean you're referencing a buffoon White Sox announcer and it's NOT Hawk Harrelson? How many can they have over there?

I'm trying to avoid watching the Wise play with the sound on for fear of having to hear the uncomfortable sounds of the explosive multiple hillbilly orgasms coming from Hawk. Poor Stoney... I hope he had already bailed out of the booth at that point...
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #3300
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Radio call? You mean you're referencing a buffoon White Sox announcer and it's NOT Hawk Harrelson? How many can they have over there?

I'm trying to avoid watching the Wise play with the sound on for fear of having to hear the uncomfortable sounds of the explosive multiple hillbilly orgasms coming from Hawk. Poor Stoney... I hope he had already bailed out of the booth at that point...

No it was Hawk. Heard the call on the radio this morning on my way into work. Wasn't sure if he just did TV or radio for the Sox.

But he is embarassing.