Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #3251
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I saw a poll that puts Harris up by 8 in NE-2. That severely limits Trump's electoral path. It requires him (at minimum) to win one of the three rust belt states (WI, MI, PA).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 10:42 AM   #3252
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old high school friend on Facebook was going through all of the Democratic slogans and putting them next to Nazi slogans to show that they are the exact same.

She, of course, then emphasized that she's an Independent because she thinks there are problems with both parties.

Always amazing to me how these Independents are always neither a Democrat nor a Republican but actually a third thing (still basically a Republican).

(I actually think that this board is a bit of an exception with some of the few actual independents I've encountered online).
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 11:31 AM   #3253
Atocep
Coordinator

We haven't heard much about Hunter Biden over the past month. It's almost like that entire thing was politically driven.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 12:16 PM   #3254
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

They are going to get the truth about Obama's birth certificate.

Gamechanger

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-21-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 12:39 PM   #3255
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Old high school friend on Facebook was going through all of the Democratic slogans and putting them next to Nazi slogans to show that they are the exact same.

She, of course, then emphasized that she's an Independent because she thinks there are problems with both parties.

Always amazing to me how these Independents are always neither a Democrat nor a Republican but actually a third thing (still basically a Republican).

(I actually think that this board is a bit of an exception with some of the few actual independents I've encountered online).

They're just Republicans who are embarrassed to admit it. It's a fool's errand chasing those votes. No matter how much you give in to them, they'll still find a reason to vote Trump.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #3256
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They're just Republicans who are embarrassed to admit it. It's a fool's errand chasing those votes. No matter how much you give in to them, they'll still find a reason to vote Trump.

100%, a guy I know from the gym identifies as an independent, yet has a Trump flag on his Harley, acts and dresses like somebody with a front row seat at 21 straight Trump rallies. I basically told him the same, why don't you just register as a republican, independent is not worshipping the far right.

As an example of the dress thing, a few of us went to a spring training game this year and I noticed when we went to get adult beverages, his T-Shirt said "I comfortable with violence" on the back. It pretty much led to me needling him the rest of the game, lamenting that I did not have a "Badass" section in my closet like he apparently does.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:03 PM   #3257
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just watched the Rollcall from last night. That's all I could make it through. I swear the DJ is just a puppet/marionette and wonder who's running the strings. Who was that rapper from Georgia . It reminded me of the scene from Idiocracy.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:03 PM   #3258
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I think it's more they call themselves Independents to try to convert people into Republicans.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:09 PM   #3259
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just because one considers themselves an independent doesn't be they don't have strong opinions about issues or that can't lean strongly toward a certain ideology.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:19 PM   #3260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just because one considers themselves an independent doesn't be they don't have strong opinions about issues or that can't lean strongly toward a certain ideology.

Yeah, that’s a special third thing
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:24 PM   #3261
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

There are people who are independent that fall to the left or the right of the current parties. But I don't think there are many who fall in the middle. The parties are so close on most issues that the idea that there is some moderate candidate in the middle they'd vote for is kind of silly.

I think Trump is embarrassing to many from a social perspective, so they just pretend to be independents so they don't have to openly support him even though they will vote for him.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:29 PM   #3262
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Has anybody ever met a self-declared independent that favors dem policies (pre-Trump I guess, to make a distinction) ? I'm sure they exist, but I've coincidentally never met one.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:34 PM   #3263
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Not much for convention speeches but good lord Michelle Obama carved up Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Michelle Obama's speech was really, really impressive. I read it was only 21 minutes long, but it was heartfelt and just super concise with messaging.

There is a reason why there are constant rumors she is going to run for president that come from both the right and the left. She is just so good orator and comes across so real. Unfortunately, she also hates politics in general. If she ever decides to run for office, or take a cabinet level role in an administration, watch out.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:34 PM   #3264
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Who was that rapper from Georgia .
This is a bannable offense.

Old 08-21-2024, 01:37 PM   #3265
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I just watched the Rollcall from last night. That's all I could make it through. I swear the DJ is just a puppet/marionette and wonder who's running the strings. Who was that rapper from Georgia . It reminded me of the scene from Idiocracy.

I watched it and enjoyed it. It actually caught my kids' interest (for a bit) and they asked questions about the process of states nominating candidates and what happens if x, y, z happens instead or if it isn't unanimous. The DJ actually took time to curate an individual song or songs for each state. I had never heard of him before and, while it was cheesy at times, one of the big goals of these conventions is to get the most ardent supporters fired up and excited about candidates and their platforms, so they can turn around and go home and have something to take back to voters to be excited about. I think it achieved that goal in a pretty remarkable way and I'd be surprised if the GOP and future Dem conventions don't use it to build off of in the future.

It's hard to believe that you are anywhere in the age range of most of the folks that post on this board and have never heard of Lil' Jon. He's a Grammy winning rapper and producer that has been around for more than 20 years. He is very well known for being a part of the Atlanta music scene (along with guys like Ludacris and Usher) and has had like half a dozen top 10 songs. Also, he literally performed at the Super Bowl last year.

Most of the responses about the roll call that I have seen were pretty positive, since it is typically a boring and formal piece of business. The fact people are talking about today is pretty wild.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:44 PM   #3266
GrantDawg

Old 08-21-2024, 01:53 PM   #3267
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm an independent, but identify as very liberal on social policies and moderate on the economy. My state has gotten so conservative, it is better to be able to vote for the best Republican in the primaries, since the GOP winner is more than likely going to win the general election. I voted in the Dem primary this year because there were actually some candidates I wanted to vote for and support, but most years it is trying to find the best Republican candidate (which to me is typically the one that I think will act more like a Libertarian).
Old 08-21-2024, 01:54 PM   #3268
HerRealName
College Prospect

I don't know how to function in a world where the Democratic party is so competent. The Milwaukee rally integrated with the roll call was... ingenious?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 01:58 PM   #3269
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm an independent, but identify as very liberal on social policies and moderate on the economy. My state has gotten so conservative, it is better to be able to vote for the best Republican in the primaries, since the GOP winner is more than likely going to win the general election. I voted in the Dem primary this year because there were actually some candidates I wanted to vote for and support, but most years it is trying to find the best Republican candidate (which to me is typically the one that I think will act more like a Libertarian).

I check in on WV politics every now and then and it's gotten so crazy. The obsession with raw milk was something I had to look into because I didn't understand why so many people wanted the right to buy raw milk and so many politicians wanted to allow it.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:05 PM   #3270
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I don't know how to function in a world where the Democratic party is so competent. The Milwaukee rally integrated with the roll call was... ingenious?

The party is filled with competent people. They've been crushing it in the midwest and rust belt with Governors of late. Just needed the old guard who still thought it was 1984 to step aside.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:15 PM   #3271
GrantDawg

Quote:
The party is filled with competent people. They've been crushing it in the midwest and rust belt with Governors of late. Just needed the old guard who still thought it was 1984 to step aside.

Meanwhile, the Republican party is trying to return to 1860.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:20 PM   #3272
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I can’t stop thinking about the planners discussing having Lil Jon there during of ALL of things….the roll call. PLEASE tell me that they at least joked about the possibility of him doing a rewrite of “Real Nigga Roll Call” for the event. I’m gonna need Roy Wood Jr to discuss this one, y’all.

Side note: today I learned that RNRC once held the Guinness Book record for most swears in a single rap song. Kinda makes me proud that that specific song was my hard stop on putting in effort to pay attention to the latest hip hop. �� I was sooooooo disappointed with Cube for being a part of that nonsense.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-21-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 02:43 PM   #3273
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Has anybody ever met a self-declared independent that favors dem policies (pre-Trump I guess, to make a distinction) ? I'm sure they exist, but I've coincidentally never met one.

My brother falls into that category. I suspect he is registered as independent because of his job, but his views are definitely toward the left side of the political spectrum.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 02:47 PM   #3274
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

It's hard to believe that you are anywhere in the age range of most of the folks that post on this board and have never heard of Lil' Jon. He's a Grammy winning rapper and producer that has been around for more than 20 years. He is very well known for being a part of the Atlanta music scene (along with guys like Ludacris and Usher) and has had like half a dozen top 10 songs. Also, he literally performed at the Super Bowl last year.

I’ve heard of Li'l Sebastian, but not Lil John. I haven't listened to much radio since the early 90s, and don't listen to rap for the most part. And I tend to skip the halftime shows for the Super Bowl. I am at least aware of Ludacris and Usher, even though I couldn't identify a song for either one. I know Ludacris was in some commercial that I saw recently.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-21-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 03:04 PM   #3275
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am sad for those of you that have apparently never seen the masterpiece that is the 'Turn Down for What' video:

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-21-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:12 PM   #3276
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 03:18 PM   #3277
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I’ve heard of Li'l Sebastian, but not Lil John

WHAT?!
Old 08-21-2024, 03:30 PM   #3278
thesloppy
Pro Starter

OKAY!
Old 08-21-2024, 03:35 PM   #3279
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know how to function in a world where the Democratic party is so competent.

For the first 45 years of my life the GOP were always an immovable, consolidated force, and it seemed like they would always be that way via gerrymandering and ruthless maneuvering, while the Democrats were always a herd of good-intentioned cats that could never quite get it together. It IS a trip to finally see those tables turn...though the deck is still stacked for the GOP.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:36 PM   #3280
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I check in on WV politics every now and then and it's gotten so crazy. The obsession with raw milk was something I had to look into because I didn't understand why so many people wanted the right to buy raw milk and so many politicians wanted to allow it.

It's pretty remarkable how different it is. When I was in high school, West Virginia had 4 US Representatives and the 2 longtime senators (Byrd for the entire time and then Jennings Randolph and Rockefeller) and they were all democrats. Now, we are down to just 2 US Reps (both GOP and not competitive) and the 2 senators will be GOP with Manchin retiring. It is hard to imagine any of those seats going back to the democrats, maybe in my lifetime. And there is barely any bench for the dems now, either. They have 3 (out of 34) in the state senate and 11 (out of 89) due to all the gerrymandering. It's pretty odd - the last four governors have all been elected as Dems (with Justice switching parties after being elected, but he is kind of like Trump and just goes with whatever he thinks is popular), but I doubt we will see another statewide Dem elected in quite some time.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:41 PM   #3281
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

I was just thinking about that monologue that Eastwood did at the RNC in 2012, where he had an empty chair on stage and pretended it was Obama talking with him. These guys really are weird and have been for awhile now.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:58 PM   #3282
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
WHAT?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
OKAY!

Old 08-21-2024, 04:04 PM   #3283
Bobble
College Prospect

I was really hoping the roll call would be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B4GbwySRzY

Last edited by Bobble : 08-21-2024 at 04:04 PM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 04:06 PM   #3284
GrantDawg

In the immortal words of Curly Bill Brocius "Well.....bye."

Old 08-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #3285
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’ve listened almost exclusively to punk and metal my whole life, with Taylor swift mixed in, and even I know who lil John is.

Ban hammer.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #3286
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that dropping out helps Trump. The dem-leaning Kennedy supporters already came home when Biden left the race.

I don't think that endorsing Trump really matters one way or another.

Though Trump/Vance/Kennedy does not really do much to counteract the "weird" attack.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:25 PM   #3287
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I saw a poll that puts Harris up by 8 in NE-2. That severely limits Trump's electoral path. It requires him (at minimum) to win one of the three rust belt states (WI, MI, PA).

Michigan is going to be a tough ask for Democrats.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:39 PM   #3288
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Michigan is going to be a tough ask for Democrats.

NC is Michigan's EVs plus one.

If she were to win NC, she could lose Michigan and Nebraska could play shenanigans with the Omaha EV, and it would be a wash.

There's a reason that Trump was down here today.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:51 PM   #3289
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

NC is interesting. It's shifting like Virginia did a decade ago. Still think it's too early for a flip but who knows? Michigan should be an easily winnable state but they've made it much more difficult.

Another option might be Nevada/Arizona. Republicans have disastrous Senate candidates in both states which isn't helping Trump. The union support should help Harris win Nevada in my opinion. Arizona is such an odd state to predict.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:59 PM   #3290
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Mass Arrests As Protesters, Chicago Police Clash At Israeli Consulate | Chicago, IL Patch

It's weird that apparently Mike Lindell is outside arguing with protesters and the article doesn't even mention it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 05:14 PM   #3291
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Mass Arrests As Protesters, Chicago Police Clash At Israeli Consulate | Chicago, IL Patch

It's weird that apparently Mike Lindell is outside arguing with protesters and the article doesn't even mention it.

Huh? The article mentioned him and even showed a picture

Old 08-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #3292
Passacaglia
Coordinator

There's a picture with a caption mentioning him, but the article doesn't. Probably nitpicky, but I still found it weird.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 05:51 PM   #3293
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that dropping out helps Trump. The dem-leaning Kennedy supporters already came home when Biden left the race.

I don't think that endorsing Trump really matters one way or another.

Though Trump/Vance/Kennedy does not really do much to counteract the "weird" attack.
Yeah, the D-leaning Kennedy folks mostly already came home, but I'm sure a sizable percentage--probably the majority--of his remaining supporters won't vote for either major party and will either go Libertarian or just stay home, so my guess is that it's a really minor bump for him.

That said, it feels like the overall impact of a handful of little things that "don't really matter" may well end up deciding this election. A few hundred people in PA switch to Trump because of this. A few hundred switch to Harris for some other other "inconsequential" reason. A few hundred stay home because it's too hot/cold/rainy or the babysitter gets sick on election day and it happens that the hot/cold/rain/sickness spike happens to hit in a part of the state that is more heavily red or blue. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old 08-21-2024, 08:31 PM   #3294
GrantDawg

Bill Clinton just taking that jab at Trump saying he is the oldest man in his family of four generations, and he is still younger than Trump.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2024, 08:41 PM   #3295
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Bill Clinton just taking that jab at Trump saying he is the oldest man in his family of four generations, and he is still younger than Trump.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

This speech was a little rough at the start much better as he got going.

The energy of this convention compared to the RNC is night and day. Trump has beat the party down so much using fear and scare tactics that they have nothing to be excited for.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:42 PM   #3296
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
The parties are so close on most issues that the idea that there is some moderate candidate in the middle they'd vote for is kind of silly.

I don't think this is true at all. I agree with each party on a fairly equal number of issues, and they have become more alike in some ways, but there are still big differences between them and there's plenty of room in the middle.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 08:56 PM   #3297
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Totally agree with the idea that some Independents are pretty transparently ... not, and just like calling themselves that. One of the most annoying trends to me in social media is people linking posts that clearly have an axe to grind and just saying 'not looking for a debate, just food for thought, blah blah blah'. It's definitely not isolated to the right wing, but if you are going to stand for something, stand for it. If not, don't post it.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 09:06 PM   #3298
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think this is true at all. I agree with each party on a fairly equal number of issues, and they have become more alike in some ways, but there are still big differences between them and there's plenty of room in the middle.

Outside of some social issues, what issues is there a wide gap on? They are nearly identical in terms of economic and foreign policy.

There's a reason neither campaign is really touting policy.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:16 PM   #3299
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The Democrats would be able to call Trump a pedophile if they didn't have to continue supporting the Clintons for some insane reason.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:27 PM   #3300
Flasch186
Coordinator

I especially love it when someone says that they’re doing their own research but they wouldn’t know research if it sat on their face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote