Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #3251
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
One thing you can say about McCain is that he does have the best interest of the country at heart.

Who's interests does Obama have at heart? Typical conservative bullshit.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #3252
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
how is mccain talking about limiting the size of government. didn't he say in his speech last night (i didn't watch, but i heard this) something about giving the federal government the power to hire and fire teachers at a local level??

who's going to do that?? the magical teacher-fairy who doesn't get paid?? NOPE...it's going to be an appointed position with a nice cushy salary. that's going to result in an INCREASED bureaucracy, not a decreased one!

WAKE UP!

I am awake. Obama's going to do his part to shrink government? That's news to me.

You think Obama is going to bring change, then why did he make a 35 year vet of Congress his running mate? WAKE UP!

Let's face it, you want any change you can get and are willing to vote for the least qualified Presidential candidate in history. I on the other hand, want the Republicans to go back to the days of 94-96 and reduce government.

I would much rather have what you described above, than the snake oil that Obama is peddling. Someone who has never had to get anything done in his life. Every single position he has had, none of it was about leadership. The community organizer stuff is the closest he can come, and that sounds just like social work. I have several friends that do that sort of thing, and I don't think any of them are qualified to be President.

Obama is talking about expanding the government much more than McCain is. I believe many of his policies are untenable and are either doomed to failure, or will wind up screwing the country over in the long run. Not to mention his lack of foreign policy experience.

McCain is not my ideal candidate. That said, he showed good judgement in selecting Palin as his running mate. Whatever his reasons may have been to make that choice, she is a strong candidate and I really like what I have found out about her. She is the most qualified EXECUTIVE candidate in the field. She has run a town, and she has run a state. That's more than Biden, Obama, or McCain can say for themselves. Now, don't get me wrong, she has holes in her resume as well, but at least she has run something and has brought change and reform to the state she is from.

Now others have mentioned that Alaska is a small state and that Wasilla is a small town. You're right. But guess who else came from a small state. Bill Clinton. While I might not have liked the guy, he could have done a lot worse.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #3253
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Today's electoral-vote.com polls

Alaska: McCain 54-35
Indiana: McCain 45-43
North Dakota: Obama 43-40

They currently have Obama with a 301-224 lead.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #3254
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I am awake. Obama's going to do his part to shrink government? That's news to me.

You think Obama is going to bring change, then why did he make a 35 year vet of Congress his running mate? WAKE UP!

But wait! I thought it was more important who was at the top of the ticket than who was at the bottom of the ticket. Now it changes?

You guys are so cute.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #3255
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
That video makes a great case for Obama being a Supreme Court Justice, it does nothing about making me think he is qualified to be President.

Lawyers are great for understanding what can and what cannot be done. It is my experience, that they are not the best candidates to lead. It also explains why he is such a great speaker. He has had plenty of experience doing that. However, speaking and debating is a different skill from getting the job done. Speaking and debating is a great skill to have in Congress. It would help in the White House, but I want someone who has experience in getting stuff done. He doesn't have it. The closest experience he has to that is his community organizer work, which sounds a lot like a social worker to me (the way he explained it).

I heard an interview the other day with a person who claimed to be a community organizer working for the Chicago political machine in the mid 70s. Basically, he canvassed homes and churches, making sure everyone was registered to vote - and worked to get the vote out. Apparently there were certain blue collar jobs you could only be considered for if you had a letter of recommendation from the local ward's alderman. He was the one who submitted recommendations to the alderman on which people in the community he worked should get those letters.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 09-05-2008 at 12:04 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #3256
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Who's interests does Obama have at heart? Typical conservative bullshit.

Way to take it out of context...

Statement: I believe most people in Washinton are there not for the good of the country, but for the good of themselves.

Belief: McCain passed McCain-Feingold not for himself, but an attempt to reform campaign financing.

Now, the fact that the bill was not the success he hoped it to be, I think it was an honest effort on his part to effect reform.

Because of that, I think he is different from the other Republicans on the Hill. Not saying I am crazy about him, but I believe him when he talks about change.

Regarding Obama, I have no clue whose interests he has at heart. He doesn't have a long enough record or really developed and pushed through any major legislation that I am aware of.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #3257
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But wait! I thought it was more important who was at the top of the ticket than who was at the bottom of the ticket. Now it changes?

You guys are so cute.

Never said it didn't matter. My point there is that he is all about change, yet the most important appointment he has had to make to date is all about remaining the same. Do I need to explain everything to you guys?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #3258
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
I heard an interview the other day with a person who claimed to be a community organizer

How do you get past this point and still think continuing the post is a good idea?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #3259
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Never said it didn't matter. My point there is that he is all about change, yet the most important appointment he has had to make to date is all about remaining the same. Do I need to explain everything to you guys?

Just your hypocrisy.

McCain was all about experience, and then he appointed Palin. However, that was explained away because the top of the ticket is more important than the bottom of the ticket. We got comments like, "We welcome a debate between the Pres nominee and the VP nominee on this issue."

Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #3260
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
How do you get past this point and still think continuing the post is a good idea?

Well, he was a friend of the host who vouched for him and currently is sales manager working in Tampa. However, it WAS a Clear Channel owned station, so that probably blows any credibility he might have with you right there.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 09-05-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #3261
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Just your hypocrisy.

McCain was all about experience, and then he appointed Palin. However, that was explained away because the top of the ticket is more important than the bottom of the ticket. We got comments like, "We welcome a debate between the Pres nominee and the VP nominee on this issue."

It all goes both ways (especially this year).

With Obama supporters, it was "experience is overrated", and then Obama picks Biden and they attack Palin's experience. (Of course they frame it as "you say experience is important and then you pick Palin!")

With McCain supporters, it was "experience is important", and then McCain picks Palin and they criticize Biden being an "insider" (Of course they frame it "you say you're about change and then you pick Biden).

That's why I don't really listen to someone's political opinion unless it goes against their standard broad view. Otherwise it's just a reflex reaction, not really an opinion.

Like when Democrats were suddenly against the electoral college after 2000 (And I have no doubt Republicans would have done the same if the situation were reversed).

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2008 at 12:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #3262
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm surprised that conservatives have taken such a negative view of community organizers, since it seem to fit in nicely with what they view people should do. It's all about people taking responsibility for themselves and working to improve the lives of people in their area. It kind of baffles me that they would attack someone for participating in that, since it seems like that's what they would want someone to do instead of waiting for a government handout.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #3263
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'm surprised that conservatives have taken such a negative view of community organizers, since it seem to fit in nicely with what they view people should do. It's all about people taking responsibility for themselves and working to improve the lives of people in their area. It kind of baffles me that they would attack someone for participating in that, since it seems like that's what they would want someone to do instead of waiting for a government handout.

Who does a community organizer work for? If it's for a charity or a church, rather than the government, than I'm sure Republicans would be all for it (though they may have different opinions on how it qualifies one to be president).

I hadn't heard any direct community-organizer bashing until Palin's speech, which I assumed was just in response to the Obama camp's critisms of her experience.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #3264
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just your hypocrisy.

The whole premise of presidential elections is to find the best candidate for the job. We use a variety of methods to accomplish this. They vary from person to person.

That said, I have issues with McCain and I have issues with Obama. I actually considered voting for Obama at the start of the primary season. I remembered his 04 DNC speech, and I heard his message early on in the races. I looked into what he stood for and realized that he is for most of what I am against.

That was one strike, and a pretty big one at that. But another thing that I look at is who people associate themselves with. Who they appoint, what type of people they surround themselves with, etc. Again, Obama has failed here as well. The whole Jeremiah Wright issue. I'm not crazy about his wife, but I gave him a pass on that. Then we get Biden as his VP pick. Let's put it this way, 3 people that I've seen him make choices to associate himself with, and 3 people I don't like.

So yes, the top of the ticket is more important that what is below it, but it does give some insight into the candidate. Obama took a low risk candidate. McCain took a high risk one. One that I still think was not his best choice, but I have grown to like it the more I have learned about her. For the record, I would have preferred Joe Lieberman, but that would make the far right much less enthusiastic about McCain than they were.

What else do I need to explain to you guys?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #3265
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Like when Democrats were suddenly against the electoral college after 2000 (And I have no doubt Republicans would have done the same if the situation were reversed).

Actually, Democrats were against the electoral college before that. It was Republicans who told me that it was all about states rights. And I'm still against the electoral college if Obama loses the popular vote and wins the electoral vote.

Not saying you don't have a good point about how people change their arguments for political reasons, but I don't think this is necessarily a good example of that.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #3266
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

To me, not speaking for anyone else on the right on this, it is not so much that he was a community organizer. It was more that he was listing this as reasons why he should be President. What I find funny is that looking at his resume, this is the most pertinent experience he has in his past. I just don't think it qualifies him as Presidential material.

The speeches given at the RNC were not to bash the profession, because you are right. That is the type of stuff we want to see done in communities. However, that does not mean that he is Presidential material. When that is best job experience you have that pertains to the Presidency, and you attack another candidate because they were only governor for two years, you're asking for a riposte.

EDIT: Again, as I mentioned before, I do not think legislative experience is a prerequisite for the Presidency. It helps, but I prefer a candidate that has executive branch experience. I understand McCain lacks this experience as well.

Last edited by Warhammer : 09-05-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3267
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The speeches given at the RNC were not to bash the profession, because you are right. That is the type of stuff we want to see done in communities. However, that does not mean that he is Presidential material. When that is best job experience you have that pertains to the Presidency, and you attack another candidate because they were only governor for two years, you're asking for a riposte.

They may not have been to bash the profession, but that's certainly how they came off. There was no qualifying statement about the good that community organizers do before ripping Obama for his service. It came of as, well, elitist.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-05-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #3268
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It came of as, well, elitist.

Like mocking someone's service as mayor because of the population of the town?

Maybe she should have taken the higher road there and just let the Obama camp attack her because she's "country". It was a calculated risk.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #3269
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Like mocking someone's service as mayor because of the population of the town?

Maybe she should have taken the higher road there and just let the Obama camp attack her because she's "country". It was a calculated risk.

Quote please. I believe you're referring to the bloggers and not the Obama campaign. did anyone from the campaign say anything like this? Did they do it at their national convention? I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #3270
Warhammer
Pro Starter

For those who are wondering about why Palin is so appealing to conservatives, this is a pretty good piece.

hxxp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4677799.ece

I disagree that they will not hit Obama on experience. I think they will. Palin will sit there and say that she did more for her state in 2 years in the governor's mansion than Obama has done in his career. She can then sit there and say, "And I'm the part of the ticket that is lacking in experience." She makes two points in one statement.

The other reason why this excites the base is that we have been looking for the next great conservative to come along, and she just might be it. She still has a ways to go, but she might be it.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #3271
Flasch186
Coordinator

religious fever has nothing to do with it.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #3272
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I know she's great on social issues for the base, but how are you with her fiscal record? She left Wasilla with 20 million in debt, enacted a windfall tax on Alaska oil companies and bragged repeatedly about all the earmarks she was bringing in. Does her pro-life, pro-gun stance nullify a pretty poor fiscal record?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #3273
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

Let's face it, you want any change you can get and are willing to vote for the least qualified Presidential candidate in history. I on the other hand, want the Republicans to go back to the days of 94-96 and reduce government.

Obama is talking about expanding the government much more than McCain is. I believe many of his policies are untenable and are either doomed to failure, or will wind up screwing the country over in the long run. Not to mention his lack of foreign policy experience.

You're both going to be severely disappointed.

BTW, If anyone is truly serious about cutting the size of government, they'd start with the 700+ foreign military bases we're currently operating. Maybe that Iraq war thing too.

Of course, no politician is actually going to suggest such a thing.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #3274
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post

BTW, If anyone is truly serious about cutting the size of government, they'd start with the 700+ foreign military bases we're currently operating. Maybe that Iraq war thing too.

The guy I want isn't running. I'm going with the best that is offered. There are plenty of other programs besides military which we can cut. Of course we can afford some cuts there as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #3275
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The guy I want isn't running. I'm going with the best that is offered. There are plenty of other programs besides military which we can cut. Of course we can afford some cuts there as well.

Military cuts in the middle of a war on terror???!!!! Be careful. You don't want to be called unpatriotic.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #3276
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I wouldn't worry very much. Obama was against Iraq before he was for it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...hRI&refer=home
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #3277
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Quote please. I believe you're referring to the bloggers and not the Obama campaign. did anyone from the campaign say anything like this? Did they do it at their national convention? I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency" said Bill Burton, Obama Campaign Spokesman.

Not as much as a "mocking" as the Obama blogs, yes, but this was the very first response of the Obama campaign to the news (it was quoted in all of the first articles about Palin).

It's like referring to Obama first as a "former community organizer", which while true, is hardly his entire experience.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #3278
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post

If the Dems were really serious about ending the war, they could have cut the funding in Congress at any time the past several years. Then they could make a really strong argument that they are the anti-war party.

The fact that they haven't indicates - a) they are gutless, preferring the status quo rather than sticking to their principles, or b) they have internal polling showing that such a move isn't the win-win scenario for their party that they claim it is.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 09-05-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #3279
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
If the Dems were really serious about ending the war, they could have cut the funding in Congress at any time the past several years. Then they could make a really strong argument that they are the anti-war party.

The fact that they haven't indicates - a) they are gutless, preferring the status quo rather than sticking to their principles, or they have internal polling showing that such a move isn't the win-win scenario for their party that they claim it is.

Obama stopped talking about Iraq and withdrawing pretty much immediately after his trip there. Which I give him credit for. Though I think he was tricky about it - he wanted to tell the truth about the realities he came to, without his base figuring out there is now really no difference between him and the Republicans on this.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #3280
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know she's great on social issues for the base, but how are you with her fiscal record? She left Wasilla with 20 million in debt, enacted a windfall tax on Alaska oil companies and bragged repeatedly about all the earmarks she was bringing in. Does her pro-life, pro-gun stance nullify a pretty poor fiscal record?

I admit that I am not crazy with the oil tax, I admit. But, I am not completely against them either, provided, they go towards alternate fuel research.

From what I understand about the earmarks, it was when she was mayor of Wasilla. My view on this is that as mayor, she is responsible for improving the town. It makes a ton of sense that in her role as mayor, she should try and get as many as she can.

The way I look at it is this. If a program is in place, you need to take advantage of it. However, that does not mean that if you are against it you shouldn't seek to change it.

Now before anyone goes nuts and says this is hypocritical, it shows her able to react to the role she is in. I do not think this is any more hypocritical than going to work for a competitor. Especially in sales, you might not have a choice. The greatest thing since sliced bread might be product X, but Monday you might have to sell product Y because you got laid off by X. The other thing is that it shows that she can adapt to her constituents. Her constituents in Wasilla are different from the ones she has in the entire state (well, out side of the 9000 they share in common).
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #3281
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not going to go back and find quotes in the thread to quote, but on the subject of experience: nobody is ever "qualified" or "prepared" to be president of the united states. it's arguably the most stressful, important job in the world (at least from an American POV). The closest you can maybe come is having been VP, or governor of one of the more populous & diverse states (California, New York).

Being a senator doesn't prepare you, although senators try to argue that it does in some ways (and maybe it does in certain ways). Being a former community activist and lawyer doesn't prepare you. Being mayor of a town of 7k people and former governor (for a half-term) of one of the richest & least-diverse & least populated states in the country doesn't perpare you.

As a Democrat the most "prepared" or "qualified" Presidents we have had recently have been Regan and Bush I. Not saying I agreed with either of them, or was happy with them, but if you wanted to look for who was more "prepared" by virtue of their resume, it'd be those two guys.

It's all bullshit. I'm a firm believer that nothing out there can really "prepare" someone for the job.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #3282
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

she got 27 million in earmarks for wasilla...a town of 7k people. that's more per-capita in earmarks than the city of Boise!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #3283
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I don't think conservatives have a negative view of community organizers, nor did they attack someone for merely participating in that. The mention of it by Palin was just a comparison of her political experience versus Obama's. Sure, it may have been said sarcastically, but the same argument can be said about Burton's comments regarding her time as mayor.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #3284
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Military cuts in the middle of a war on terror???!!!! Be careful. You don't want to be called unpatriotic.

Sometimes I wonder why I get into these threads. Anyway, there are intelligent ways of cutting spending. Do we need the 700 bases around the world? No, I am sure that many can be consolidated without compromising our ability to project power anywhere on the globe.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #3285
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Who does a community organizer work for? If it's for a charity or a church, rather than the government, than I'm sure Republicans would be all for it (though they may have different opinions on how it qualifies one to be president).

I hadn't heard any direct community-organizer bashing until Palin's speech, which I assumed was just in response to the Obama camp's critisms of her experience.

FYI, Rudy bashed it in his speech earlier the same night.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #3286
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I don't think conservatives have a negative view of community organizers, nor did they attack someone for merely participating in that. The mention of it by Palin was just a comparison of her political experience versus Obama's. Sure, it may have been said sarcastically, but the same argument can be said about Burton's comments regarding her time as mayor.

I didn't like Burton's comments about her time as Mayor, just like I didn't like Rove's comments about Tim Kaine's experience, but I think most people will remember what the VP nominee said in one of the most watched speeches of the campaign than what Rove or Burton said.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #3287
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder why I get into these threads. Anyway, there are intelligent ways of cutting spending. Do we need the 700 bases around the world? No, I am sure that many can be consolidated without compromising our ability to project power anywhere on the globe.

My comment was in jest. You're banging your head against the wall? Well, that's what liberals have been doing for a while when conservatives have accused us of being unpatriotic, not supporting the troops, wanting them to fight with spitballs, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #3288
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
she got 27 million in earmarks for wasilla...a town of 7k people. that's more per-capita in earmarks than the city of Boise!

If I'm a resident of Wasilla, I think she did a great job. As a resident of Tennessee, that's insane!

It depends on what you're constituency is. In her case, she did a great job as mayor.

Quote:
I'm a firm believer that nothing out there can really "prepare" someone for the job.

You're right to an large extent. However, I am all for being as prepared as you can be. Just because you can't ever be entirely prepared, that doesn't mean we take Joe Blow off the street and give him the job.

Its kind of like minimizing your risk. If I am a creditor, who am I going to give money to, the guy who has successfully started up 5 companies, or the guy who just came in off the street with his latest get rich quick scheme? Do I give it to the guy that has started up 3 companies, or the guy that has been the CFO for 10 successful startups? That is where things get harry. I don't think we are at that point though. This race is one where a guy has been on the board of 5 startups, not all entirely successful (Congresses McCain has been a part of), against a guy that has been one the board of one unsuccessful one (Congresses Obama has been a part of).

I think that this really points to the uniqueness of the current situation. Given the state of the Republican party, Obama, if he was virtually any other candidate, would be crushing them. Conversely, give the candidacy of Obama, if it was any other year, the Republican candidate would be crushing him.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #3289
Flasch186
Coordinator

...or humvees made of paper.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #3290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
FYI, Rudy bashed it in his speech earlier the same night.

And as I recall, it went over very well with the audience in the room.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #3291
Flasch186
Coordinator

it was a very good speech.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #3292
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
My comment was in jest. You're banging your head against the wall? Well, that's what liberals have been doing for a while when conservatives have accused us of being unpatriotic, not supporting the troops, wanting them to fight with spitballs, etc.

Don't lump me in with the other conservatives. My only beef regarding the talk about the war is this:

Prior to war, we should discuss, protest, do whatever you deem necessary within the bounds of the law to make yourself heard. Once we are involved in a war, we should all be working towards resolving the war as quickly as possible, by bringing all our forces to bear, keep our mouths shut, and provide a unified front to the world.

War is hell. War is unpleasant. Many people die from war. We should use every set of means short of war to resolve our differences, but if it is necessary to go to war, let's get it done. Once we have talked, we should all be on the same page. When we criticize the manner in which a war is conducted, we are aiding and abetting our enemies. They can use that knowledge to put our boys in worse danger, and ulitmately make their sacrifice in vain.

Additionally, I think it is ridiculous to discuss cutting military funding during a war. Unless it is a specific cut, that is mandate, for example, shutting down all facilities on Christmas Island, etc., etc. Even then, only if it is not essential to the war being fought. That said, most cuts can probably wait until the end of the war anyway.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting non-denial denial by Oprah concerning the Drudge Report rumor. She says they haven't discussed a Palin appearance and they'd be happy to have her on the show after the campaign is over. In other words, she can come on my show when she's not campaigning against my candidate anymore..........

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417523,00.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3294
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't lump me in with the other conservatives. My only beef regarding the talk about the war is this:

Prior to war, we should discuss, protest, do whatever you deem necessary within the bounds of the law to make yourself heard. Once we are involved in a war, we should all be working towards resolving the war as quickly as possible, by bringing all our forces to bear, keep our mouths shut, and provide a unified front to the world.

War is hell. War is unpleasant. Many people die from war. We should use every set of means short of war to resolve our differences, but if it is necessary to go to war, let's get it done. Once we have talked, we should all be on the same page. When we criticize the manner in which a war is conducted, we are aiding and abetting our enemies. They can use that knowledge to put our boys in worse danger, and ulitmately make their sacrifice in vain.

Additionally, I think it is ridiculous to discuss cutting military funding during a war. Unless it is a specific cut, that is mandate, for example, shutting down all facilities on Christmas Island, etc., etc. Even then, only if it is not essential to the war being fought. That said, most cuts can probably wait until the end of the war anyway.

I'd agree with this POV more if Congress actually got off their asses and declared war. As it stands the executive has far too much authority to commit our troops to battle and in your way of thinking all of those decision become immune to criticism once the fighting starts. There has to be room for criticism of the engagement itself, especially when the President can and in many cases since Vietnam, has committed troops without a debate that a declaration of war would force.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #3295
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

I think this excerpt from a recent column addresses your question:

Nobody is mocking community organizers in church basements and community centers across the country working to improve their neighbors' lives. What deserves ridicule is the notion that Obama's brief stint as a South Side rabble-rouser for tax-subsidized, partisan nonprofits qualifies as executive experience you can believe in.

What deserves derision is "community organizing" that relies on a community of homeless people and ex-cons to organize for the purpose of registering dead people to vote, shaking down corporations and using the race card as a bludgeon.

Full Text of Column
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #3296
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, sorry, but that's ridiculous. If a President has a fucked up military strategy, the people have a duty to to let him know it. If the President is sending people to die for suspect reasons, then the people have a duty to let him know it. I will exercise my duty no matter what kind of accusations people throw at me.

Quote:

I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we stifle dissent, which makes us look like hypocrites when we talk about the "freedom" we want to spread to the rest of the world. I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we let a President continue a disastrous military policy without really challenging him on it. I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we don't question a President for misdirecting our resources and potentially letting our greatest enemy to get away.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #3297
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting non-denial denial by Oprah concerning the Drudge Report rumor. She says they haven't discussed a Palin appearance and they'd be happy to have her on the show after the campaign is over. In other words, she can come on my show when she's not campaigning against my candidate anymore..........

You can't really blame her, as she's obviously got a vested interest and huge investment, since she kicked off Obama's 19 month campaign on her show.

Oprah might have also noted that the ratings for Palin's speech were close to Obama's, despite the fact that it was carried on four fewer networks.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #3298
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

FOXNews.com - Oprah Denies Report She's Balking at Having Palin on Show - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Um, "they haven't discussed a Palin appearance" seems like a direct denial to the Drudge report. Also, "her candidate" was only on the show once, before he was a candidate. None of the four have been or will be on her show during the election. Not sure why people have a problem with that.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #3299
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That wasn't per capita, it was total value. A city of 7K got as much as one of over 200K.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #3300
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, but that's ridiculous. If a President has a fucked up military strategy, the people have a duty to to let him know it. If the President is sending people to die for suspect reasons, then the people have a duty to let him know it. I will exercise my duty no matter what kind of accusations people throw at me.

I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we stifle dissent, which makes us look like hypocrites when we talk about the "freedom" we want to spread to the rest of the world. I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we let a President continue a disastrous military policy without really challenging him on it. I think we are aiding and abetting our enemies when we don't question a President for misdirecting our resources and potentially letting our greatest enemy to get away.

Well said. And I know my cousin and his friends (ex-West Pointers) would agree privately.

It doesn't mean that we don't support the troops. In fact, if you think about it, questioning the conduct of the war and the rationale for the war, and the handling of the war, is THE MOST patriotic thing you can do. Both from a standpoint of exercising your freedom, and because you are doing it in the hopes of saving the lives (or limbs) of some of these young men+women, instead of just sitting-down and shutting-up.

Shit - I make nowhere near enough money right now, but if I'm out eating/drinking and I come across someone in uniform, you can be damn sure I pick up their check. I support the troops themselves to the fullest -- support them so much I would like to not see another one die.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-05-2008 at 02:16 PM.