Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #3201
tarcone
Coordinator

Havent tried that yet.

A boardgame cafe opened up in downtown St Louis a few days ago.

Its called Pieces. It has a big library of games, food and drinks.
Hopefully, I can get there soon.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #3202
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Been trying to build up 2-player options with my wife. Current inventory is:

- Ticket to Ride. I prefer Nordic version for 2 player, she finds that a bit to aggressive compared to America, which I argue is like playing solitaire with 2 players.
- Mr. Jack. Hadn't heard of this game before I stumbled on it. If we created a mutually ranked list, this would probably top it.
- Exploding Cats, usually for drunk or tired nights.
- Arkham Horror. I love, but too much going on and too involved for her to get into.
- Pandemic. Only played 1 game so far. I like it, not sure if it's her style. She likes simple rules, deep strategy, fun themes. Think this is straddling the simple rules line, but we'll give it a few more shots.

Any other reccomendations out there? Skimmed the last few pages, hoping I'm not jerk posting.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-29-2016 at 09:02 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #3203
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Castles of Burgundy is an amazing two-player game, and one of my all time favorite games.

Other great options:
  • Balloon Cup
  • 7 Wonders: Duel (haven't played this enough to know if it will hold up over time)
  • Splendor (though better with 3 players, in my opinion)

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #3204
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

- Ticket to Ride. I prefer Nordic version for 2 player, she finds that a bit to aggressive compared to America, which I argue is like playing solitaire with 2 players.
- Mr. Jack. Hadn't heard of this game before I stumbled on it. If we created a mutually ranked list, this would probably top it.
- Arkham Horror. I love, but too much going on and too involved for her to get into.
- Pandemic. Only played 1 game so far. I like it, not sure if it's her style. She likes simple rules, deep strategy, fun themes. Think this is straddling the simple rules line, but we'll give it a few more shots.

Any other reccomendations out there? Skimmed the last few pages, hoping I'm not jerk posting.

Have you looked into the Arkham Horror card game?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #3205
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'd strongly recommend the following...

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Patchwork
Paperback (a deckbuilding word game)
The Duke or Onitama (simliar abstract games, the Duke is pretty thinky... also if you like abstracts Hive is another option)
Morels / Jaipur / Lost Cities (all card games that involve some sort of set collection but play differently)
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis (a light take on Twilight Struggle)

Other options to explore further...

Takenoko
Viticulture
Memoir '44
Dominion
Star Realms
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #3206
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Castles of Burgundy is an amazing two-player game, and one of my all time favorite games.

Other great options:
  • Balloon Cup
  • 7 Wonders: Duel (haven't played this enough to know if it will hold up over time)
  • Splendor (though better with 3 players, in my opinion)

DOLA: Haven't played Balloon Cup but I would also second Castles of Burgundy and 7 Wonders: Duel.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #3207
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Excellent, thanks for the tips guys, will investigate.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #3208
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I did quickly order Paperback, that looks right up her alley.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #3209
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Definitely posting in the right place.

I have lots of two player games, and my wife doesn't care for complex or conflict oriented games either.

Our favorite is kingdom builder. There is a lot of replay ability built in, and a number of expansions that add even more.

Castles of burgundy is also a lot of fun, but was a bit longer than we typically play.

Machi koro is another one that hits the table all of the time. For this one, the expansions really make a big difference in game play. There just isn't enough to the base game. There are a lot of versions of this one. start with the blue box, and then get the expansions if you think the base game has any merit.

Another one that is new, but I think has lots of potential is Santorini. It is an abstract with simple rules and some pretty satisfying gameplay.

For ticket to ride, the consensus is that the Switzerland map is the best two player TTR map. I haven't tried it, but it may be worth checking out.

For any of these recommendations you should check out videos at BGG.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #3210
PilotMan
Head Coach

So for Christmas I built up our family board gaming list. My wife doesn't like board games that much, so it's been the boys and I. The last year we've played a bunch of Settlers and I added Exploding Kittens.

This year I added Joking Hazard, even though it's mostly inappropriate, I can PG-13 it by getting rid of some of the cards.

Then for Christmas I added:

An expansion for the Magic the Gathering board and miniatures game that we've only played a couple times, but had fun.

Dominion, base game. Which has been a great addition. My youngest started a Yu-Gi-Oh club at school and the teacher advisor tried to get their group into this one. I'm glad I picked it up, it's good with great replay ability.

Risk Legacy. Still haven't broken the plastic on it, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Imploding Kittens. The expansion for Exploding, good addition. New strategy with some the new cards, good for light laughs.

I got the 5-6 player expansion for Catan. Gift from my middle son so we can get all 5 of us in a game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #3211
tarcone
Coordinator

I tell you a game I really like. It is listed 2-4 players. I only played 4.

The game is Samurai.

Samurai | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Just a great game.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #3212
AnalBumCover
College Starter

At Christmas with the family, I just got introduced to Bang! and loved it.

Now I'm looking for more social deduction type games. Quick searches are pointing to The Resistance and Secret Hitler. Any more like these you can point out?
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #3213
tarcone
Coordinator

One night ultimate werewolf?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #3214
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
At Christmas with the family, I just got introduced to Bang! and loved it.

Now I'm looking for more social deduction type games. Quick searches are pointing to The Resistance and Secret Hitler. Any more like these you can point out?

Coup is another great one, by the same folks who made The Resistance. It's a little more structured, which helps introduce it to less "game-y" people. It's a game of bluffing and deduction - each player has two hidden roles (cards) with specific abilities. The catch is that anyone can take any of the possible actions each turn, even if they don't have a card granting them that action. If you get called out and cannot back up your claim with the appropriate role, you lose a card. Likewise, if you call someone out and they DO have that role, you lose a card. Last person standing wins. It's a nice, quick, light strategy game.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #3215
Easy Mac

We finally got around to opening the game of Life and play it with our 7 year old. Brand new, we bought it a few years ago.

I haven't played in 20 years, but how have they still not fixed the spinner that flies out every other turn. You would think they could come up with a better spinner over the life of the game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #3216
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
We finally got around to opening the game of Life and play it with our 7 year old. Brand new, we bought it a few years ago.

I haven't played in 20 years, but how have they still not fixed the spinner that flies out every other turn. You would think they could come up with a better spinner over the life of the game.

It's a spinner, not a Price is Right wheel.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #3217
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I tell you a game I really like. It is listed 2-4 players. I only played 4.

The game is Samurai.

Samurai | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Just a great game.

One of Knizia's best games, it scales well from 2-4 players.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #3218
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I never really got into Samurai. As a matter of fact, on BGG, I met someone from my hometown that wanted to buy it from me. Long story short, he flaked out on about 3 different meetups before I told him to screw off.

I just got Mage Knight over Christmas. I've only soloed it so far, but I'm not sure it is clicking for me. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, or maybe it definitely needs more players, but I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #3219
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I just got Mage Knight over Christmas. I've only soloed it so far, but I'm not sure it is clicking for me. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, or maybe it definitely needs more players, but I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about.

My experience with Mage Knight was very similar.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #3220
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My experience with Mage Knight was very similar.

If you play carefully, you will never make any big moves. The fun is when you level, have a hand of 6-7 cards and can make big plays. Also, the more advanced tactics you have, the better.

I will say it is better with more players. Whether you play coop or competitive, I believe it spices the game up.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #3221
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I need to actually get it to table before rating it, but as a solo-play only experience I am right in line with Umbrella and HB. As someone who LOVES complexity in his games, it almost felt like the game was too complex.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #3222
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just scored a small Craigslist haul of some board/card games. I'd like FOFC's opinions on these if you've played them:

The Resistance: Avalon
For Sale
Incan Gold

(also included in this haul is Bang! which I recently played over the holidays,
and Coup which has briefly been discussed earlier on this page)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #3223
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
If you play carefully, you will never make any big moves. The fun is when you level, have a hand of 6-7 cards and can make big plays. Also, the more advanced tactics you have, the better.

I will say it is better with more players. Whether you play coop or competitive, I believe it spices the game up.

This could be very true. I played two co-op games with two friends. I think the problem I had was that each turn felt so limited. There was a bunch of cool stuff I wanted to do, but I felt like I didn't have the ability to do any of it because of the way the card system works.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #3224
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This could be very true. I played two co-op games with two friends. I think the problem I had was that each turn felt so limited. There was a bunch of cool stuff I wanted to do, but I felt like I didn't have the ability to do any of it because of the way the card system works.

I find that I am a careful player in a lot of games. In Mage Knight, being careful in my mind means taking no wounds. To get started, you have to be willing to take up to 3 wounds (IMO) to get started. Take the wounds, rest the next turn if needed, and then heal them the next round. There are enough healing avenues in the game that it should not be a major factor. Additionally, several of the mages do not care if they have wounds, and one gets stronger with them.

Once I got over this, the game opened up a ton. You can still have the odd bad game, but that is a feature. A game is too easy if you can always beat it.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #3225
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just scored a small Craigslist haul of some board/card games. I'd like FOFC's opinions on these if you've played them:

The Resistance: Avalon
For Sale
Incan Gold

(also included in this haul is Bang! which I recently played over the holidays,
and Coup which has briefly been discussed earlier on this page)

For Sale is a fun filler type game. Incan Gold is a lot of fun as a push your luck game. Both of these are very accessible very solid, fun games and arguably belong in any collection.

Resistance Avalon is an improved version of the resistance, which is a game that Is much loved, but also one that I've only had bad experiences with. It is a social deduction game like werewolf, and I think the Avalon fixes a lot of what ails the resistance.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #3226
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
...the resistance, which is a game that Is much loved, but also one that I've only had bad experiences with. It is a social deduction game like werewolf, and I think the Avalon fixes a lot of what ails the resistance.

What issue(s) did you have with The Resistance? It was on my wishlist before I got Avalon.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #3227
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Resistance can be tough for groups new to the game concept - if no one wants to talk, the game is not only extremely challenging, but the abstract nature of missions and who gets to select whom doesn't exactly intuitively push new players toward conversation or discussion.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #3228
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A got the Oregon Trail card game for Christmas.

It is a nice piece of nostalgia. But it is more like a party game than a strategy game. And the game play is a bit unbalanced insomuch as if you die, you are out and have nothing to do while the rest of the team tries to make it.

We played it with a group on NYE, and we were all drinking, so we managed to have fun with it by making the dead people ghosts and all ball busting each other. But I don't see it coming out of the box again.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #3229
PilotMan
Head Coach

Good review. I had seen that and wondered if there was anything there worthwhile. Nice to see that no time was wasted with it.

Like Steam?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #3230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

We played our traditional game of Arkham Horror on New Year's Eve.

The Great Old One was Shub-Niggurath. We ended up winning with one turn left. It was very tight game with a ton of activity up in Dunwhich, though we managed to prevent the Dunwhich Horror from coming out.

A few months back I decided to buy the painted miniatures that Fantasy Flight released for the game a few years ago. I found some off the FFG site, some off some gaming sites, and some off Ebay. I have all the investigators and most, but not all, of the monsters. I really like them even if it adds yet another component to an already component heavy game.

It was good times as always!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #3231
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What issue(s) did you have with The Resistance? It was on my wishlist before I got Avalon.

The saboteurs know who each other are, and frankly almost have to be brain dead to lose. They just have such an advantage over the rest of the table. It is fun for the saboteurs, but frustrating to everyone else. It is possible for experienced players to even the odds, but honestly the game isn't rewarding enough to make me or my family want to gain the experience.

Avalon adds some roles that seem to even the odds, and adds more interesting elements to the game play.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 01-11-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #3232
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I have an opportunity to purchase TWO core sets of Arkham Horror: The Card Game for $70 on craigslist. One set played only once, and the other still sealed in shrinkwrap. Seller discloses that this type of game wasn't his cup of tea.

Worth a purchase?

I fear the complexity of this game may deter us among my family (still newbies to tabletop gaming) from getting it to the table, but I'm hopeful that they're willing to at least give it a try.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-12-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #3233
Thomkal
Head Coach

I see Mysterium is now out on Steam for PC's. Available for other devices as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #3234
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Star Wars: Rebellion just arrived at my doorstep. So excited about getting this game, but I know it's light years before it gets played with my group. For now, I'll just watch some playthroughs and learn the rules.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #3235
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have an opportunity to purchase TWO core sets of Arkham Horror: The Card Game for $70 on craigslist. One set played only once, and the other still sealed in shrinkwrap. Seller discloses that this type of game wasn't his cup of tea.

Worth a purchase?

I fear the complexity of this game may deter us among my family (still newbies to tabletop gaming) from getting it to the table, but I'm hopeful that they're willing to at least give it a try.

Did you ever bite on this? I play the Lord of the Rings LCG and I'm interested in this one.

On a side note, my wallet would cry if Fantasy Flight Games ever came out with a Star Wars LCG
Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #3236
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Something like, say, this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...-wars-destiny/
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #3237
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Did you ever bite on this? I play the Lord of the Rings LCG and I'm interested in this one.

On a side note, my wallet would cry if Fantasy Flight Games ever came out with a Star Wars LCG

I did. The two sets allow 4-player games. But I haven't opened the sealed box in case the game never takes off among my group and I can sell/trade at full value.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #3238
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I think this is more of a CCG than a LCG.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #3239
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Well, apparently there IS a Star Wars LCG out there. I'm guessing it's not getting the same love as Destiny is, but one does exist.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...the-card-game/
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #3240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SIAP.......has anyone heard anything about this PlayTable? Looks like a fantastic idea for people who like board games but also like the ease of a digital interface.

https://playtable.xyz/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #3241
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, apparently there IS a Star Wars LCG out there. I'm guessing it's not getting the same love as Destiny is, but one does exist.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...the-card-game/

I should have said "soloable Star Wars LCG"
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #3242
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Is there a Boardgamers' Anonymous group? Because I think I may have a problem.

I've entered the Accumulation Phase of my disorder, having picked up a number of games on the cheap on Craigslist since already having bought Arkham Horror LCG (x2) and Star Wars: Rebellion:

7 Wonders
Colt Express (+Horses & Stagecoach Expansion)
Eldritch Horror
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Legendary Marvel (+Dark City Expansion)

I got all this for $110

Legendary was a special treat, because the seller didn't realize there was the expansion included inside the box until just before our meeting time.

All were in excellent condition, only played 1-3 times, the only blemish in the lot being a dent in the Legendary box.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-26-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #3243
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

7 Wonders is a really fun one
Old 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #3244
Umbrella
High School Varsity

One of the things about GMT games is you never know when your order will actually get fulfilled based on the P500 system. So I was pleasantly surprised to get an email saying Churchill had shipped, and it arrived the same day!

I played the solo variant, and I am loving it. I'm going to have to find some players to sit down for a proper session.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #3245
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
One of the things about GMT games is you never know when your order will actually get fulfilled based on the P500 system. So I was pleasantly surprised to get an email saying Churchill had shipped, and it arrived the same day!

I played the solo variant, and I am loving it. I'm going to have to find some players to sit down for a proper session.

Still waiting for my P500 order of 1960: The Making of the President to ship. If they didn't get enough orders during election season, it might be a long wait.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #3246
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I played Deception: Murder in Hong Kong over the weekend. It's a fun social deduction game that requires minimal "lying" as it leans more towards "redirection" of information by the bad guy(s). So it's a good game for individuals who have difficulty keeping an honest face.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-30-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #3247
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
I played Deception: Murder in Hong Kong over the weekend. It's a fun social deduction game that requires minimal "lying" as it leans more towards "redirection" of information by the bad guy(s). So it's a good game for individuals who have difficulty keeping an honest face.

This has hit the table a few times with our group as well. I like it alot.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #3248
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Played machi koro with my wife a few times, it'll be alot more fun with 3+ players.. but it was very enjoyable.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #3249
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Continuing to feed the addiction.

From the monthly bazaar on /r/boardgames I found Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert.

And on OfferUp (a Craigslist-type site) I picked up Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #3250
bob
College Starter

Anyone played V-Commandos yet? Looks pretty cool and like something that can be played solo, but not sure I want to plunk down $65 for it without some good word about it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote