Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #3201
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Price cuts in Asia on the PS4. Will be interesting to see if Sony has something similar planned for their fall event just before the holidays in Europe or NA.

At this stage I am not going to pull the trigger on a PS4 until the price cut.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #3202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sad to see, but you knew it was in the cards. It's a great system, but the mobile devices have taken too big of a chunk at this point.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor • Eurogamer.net
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #3203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
At this stage I am not going to pull the trigger on a PS4 until the price cut.

I think there's a lot of people who are at that point. I think it's a matter of whether they do it before or after the holidays. I think they're fine with doing a lot of bundle discounting during this holiday season. My guess is that they pull the trigger just after the holidays. They'll be able to take advantage of the gift cards/return sales. It will also be a great time to do that with the Uncharted 4 release just around the corner.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #3204
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Sad to see, but you knew it was in the cards. It's a great system, but the mobile devices have taken too big of a chunk at this point.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor • Eurogamer.net

It doesn't help that Sony basically pretended the Vita didn't exist almost from the moment it launched. It's easy to, with hindsight, go "sorry, folks, smartphones ate our lunch"

but when you lay out the spread before them and invite them to eat their fill, well...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #3205
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I've had a Vita gathering dust at home for awhile now, waiting for a reason to turn it on.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #3206
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, I've had a Vita gathering dust at home for awhile now, waiting for a reason to turn it on.

It's an excellent piece of technology with nothing to do on it.

Even Sony isn't developing games for it. Why should anybody else?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #3207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only game I play on my Vita is Disagea. But, my DS has a lot of games I enjoy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #3208
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Some are thinking that the PS4 price drop is going to be limited to Japan for the foreseeable future.

Is the PS4 due for a price drop in the West? Maybe not | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #3209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
It's an excellent piece of technology with nothing to do on it.

Even Sony isn't developing games for it. Why should anybody else?

I mainly use it for the PS4 remote play. Works really well in my house. You can pick up cheap games now too if you didn't play them when they came out.

Most games coming out are just cross-play indie games that you eventually get for free on PS+.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #3210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Counterpoint article to Sony's comments.

Mobile Gaming Didn't Kill The Vita -- Sony Did
Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #3211
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

Counterpoint article to Sony's comments.

Mobile Gaming Didn't Kill The Vita -- Sony Did

That article pretty much nails it. It seems like Sony gave up on it as soon as it was released. Gaming on a Vita blows gaming on a phone away, except Sony never gave people a reason to choose the Vita.

It's like they took all of their stupid from the PS3 launch and dumped it over to the Vita.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #3212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting acquisition by MS. Though I did chuckle a bit that they couldn't get through a press release without including 'The Cloud' in part of it.

Havok to join Microsoft - The Official Microsoft Blog
Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #3213
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting acquisition by MS. Though I did chuckle a bit that they couldn't get through a press release without including 'The Cloud' in part of it.

Havok to join Microsoft - The Official Microsoft Blog

What's humorous about "The Cloud"?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #3214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
What's humorous about "The Cloud"?

It's a mantra that's been the butt of many jokes since the introduction of the X1.

Crackdown 3 Devs Confirm Cloud Makes Xbox One More Powerful « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog
Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #3215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Looks like Target may have provided the first indication that a PS4 price drop is on the way.

Video Games : Xbox, PS3, PSP, Wii, Nintendo : Target
Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #3216
Mota
College Benchwarmer

i hate the cloud for gaming.

It's basically Games As A Service, and pretty much guarantees that these games will be unplayable in 5-10 years if you ever want to go back to them.

I still have the old Final Fantasy games and want to play through them. Thankfully it's still an option at this time.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #3217
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Cloud does offer some cool features. Like in Forza, where they gather racing styles of actual players, process them, then send them back to use as the computer controlled opponents in the game.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #3218
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PS4 price cut is on the 500 GB version. One would assume that the 1 TB version would be $399.

The PlayStation 4 Is Getting a Price Cut in North America
Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #3219
Mota
College Benchwarmer

People are so excited about that $20 price drop in Canada. The lineup has got to be huge!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #3220
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
People are so excited about that $20 price drop in Canada. The lineup has got to be huge!

Yeah I still don't have a next gen system. Or current gen I guess. Play PC games here and there, nothing out on consoles that makes me want to spend $500.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #3221
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah I still don't have a next gen system. Or current gen I guess. Play PC games here and there, nothing out on consoles that makes me want to spend $500.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #3222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Target offering the Uncharted PS4 bundle for $349 with a $50 gift card included, effectively making the price $299.

PlayStation 4 500GB Uncharted: The Nathan Drake ... : Target
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #3223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Phil Spencer gets brutally honest about how badly his executive team botched the X1 release and how he isn't sure if the X1 will be able to win this generation.

Spencer: I don't know if Xbox One can beat PS4 - VideoGamer.com
Old 10-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #3224
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

Phil Spencer gets brutally honest about how badly his executive team botched the X1 release and how he isn't sure if the X1 will be able to win this generation.

Spencer: I don't know if Xbox One can beat PS4 - VideoGamer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Spencer
Whether it's always-on, used games, whatever the feature was, we lost the trust in them that they were at the centre of our decision-making process. Were we building a product for us, or were we building a product for the gamers? And as soon as that question came into people's minds and they looked at anything, whether it was the power of our box, our launch line-up, microtransactions, any of the features that you talked about, what you find is very quickly you lose the benefit of the doubt. You lose your customer's assumption that the reason you're building your product is to delight them and not just build a better and more maybe manipulative product.

Xbox One launch in a nutshell. I love my PS4, but let's be real for a moment here: I am exactly the customer Microsoft should have had in a lockbox for the next generation. Over 100 Xbox games, over 100 Xbox 360 games, and, finances permitting, without that debacle of a pre-launch period, I would have been a launch day owner of an Xbox One.

And they lost me for the foreseeable future with that debacle. It's conceivable I get an Xbox One at some point, if for no other reason than to serve as a Rock Band platform, since that DLC won't cross over to PS4, but, I mean, we're at the point where the scenario doesn't exist that has me owning 100 games for the Xbox One.

For all that MBBF has some, uh, special ideas related to the superiority of PlayStation over Xbox, that quote from Phil Spencer knocks it out of the park. Microsoft made a bunch of assumptions focused around what would be best for their bottom line, and by the time they walked those assumptions back, they had lost the trust and mindshare of a significant portion of their prospective userbase.

I thought the PS3 launch was a case study in how to take dominance in a particular market and turn it into a smoking crater, but Xbox 360 to Xbox One would have to at least be an addendum to that study.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #3225
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PS4 price cut is on the 500 GB version. One would assume that the 1 TB version would be $399.

The PlayStation 4 Is Getting a Price Cut in North America

So Sony is getting desperate right?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #3226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So Sony is getting desperate right?

Interesting analysis.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #3227
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting analysis.

And yet, that's been your analysis exactly whenever Microsoft proffers a price cut.

Maybe, just maybe, the Microsoft price cuts should be viewed as business and not desperation?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:52 AM   #3228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
And yet, that's been your analysis exactly whenever Microsoft proffers a price cut.

Maybe, just maybe, the Microsoft price cuts should be viewed as business and not desperation?

It's not even desperation if MS cuts the price at this point. Spencer has already admitted defeat. It's just a case of minimizing losses in this generation.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #3229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Yeah but you have to upgrade a gaming PC every 6months with the latest and greatest video card or games are unplayable.

Or so I've heard.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #3230
Ned Doolittle
Banned

At what point does it make sense to start considering MBBF as some kind of PS employee or at least someone with a vested, compensated interest in the PS vs MS debate? His pushing of his PS agenda far surpasses what a fanboy would do. This is going on for yrs now. I say he be banned from making any mention of PS outside of saying "I like this PS game" or "it looks better on PS". There's something malicious behind his PS posts and it's really time to curtail it. There's been posters in the past who have been banned from making certain kinds of posts (I'm sure) and he should be prohibited from any further PS rhetoric.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #3231
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not even desperation if MS cuts the price at this point. Spencer has already admitted defeat. It's just a case of minimizing losses in this generation.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #3232
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

There does not need to be a spin put on every story. There's a big difference between Microsoft admitting that they might not catch up to the competition in terms of unit sales, as opposed to admitting defeat. Microsoft can still have a very successful console cycle and be profitable even if they don't win the unit race. The last time I checked, public companies are judged on profits. It definitely affects them negatively, but the way you put it, they might as well just fold the company right now. That is just you projecting your own fantasies into a story that never went there.

If you want to be the news reporter of this thread, then be it. Or if you want to be the Sony fanboy of this thread, then be that. But don't try and pretend you're objective while putting your fanboy spin into every word that you say. It is fake, transparent, and we all see through it.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #3233
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

In other news Pepsi should have just given up decades ago and lead a pointless existence.

Reebok. RIP.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #3234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There does not need to be a spin put on every story. There's a big difference between Microsoft admitting that they might not catch up to the competition in terms of unit sales, as opposed to admitting defeat. Microsoft can still have a very successful console cycle and be profitable even if they don't win the unit race. The last time I checked, public companies are judged on profits. It definitely affects them negatively, but the way you put it, they might as well just fold the company right now. That is just you projecting your own fantasies into a story that never went there.

If you want to be the news reporter of this thread, then be it. Or if you want to be the Sony fanboy of this thread, then be that. But don't try and pretend you're objective while putting your fanboy spin into every word that you say. It is fake, transparent, and we all see through it.

No one is being fake or transparent. I gave a stupid post an equally stupid response. It was a total troll of a response and I responded in kind.

People like you, SackAttack and a few others put far more thought into your responses and I appreciate it. I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #3235
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Difference is, we can tell when others are trolling. You....not so much. The line on that one is truly transparent.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #3236
CraigSca
Pro Starter

So yeah - let's suppose I'd like to purchase Playstation Plus. It's $50 a year. Is there a time of year when that's discounted? Or, do I wait for PS Bucks (or whatever it's called) has a BOGO or something so I can use those to buy a year?

Basically, is there ever a time where Playstation Plus is discounted/what's the best route to save a few $$$?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #3237
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
So yeah - let's suppose I'd like to purchase Playstation Plus. It's $50 a year. Is there a time of year when that's discounted? Or, do I wait for PS Bucks (or whatever it's called) has a BOGO or something so I can use those to buy a year?

Basically, is there ever a time where Playstation Plus is discounted/what's the best route to save a few $$$?

Around Black Friday there's usually a deal for a year for $30 to $40. That's typically when I buy another years subscription.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #3238
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will be interesting to see the Nx concept when it debuts. A unifying Nintendo platform will be interesting. It almost sucks they're about to abandon the WiiU cause it's finally interesting to me
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #3239
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Around Black Friday there's usually a deal for a year for $30 to $40. That's typically when I buy another years subscription.

Yep. Amazon usually prices it at $30 and allows you to buy two of them. It's just a code, so they never run out of stock. $60 for two years is a great deal.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #3240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No real changes on the hardware front with PS4 still leading the way. But big changes in the software end as the NBA 2K franchise has a great release month.

September 2015 NPD: NBA, NFL games have big month as hardware sputters | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb
Old 10-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #3241
mckerney
Coordinator

Speaking of black Friday deals

Dell Home & Home Office Black Friday Ad for Dell Home & Home Office Black Friday 2015 at BFAds.net

Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #3242
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So I have an admittedly really stupid question.

I tend to only play games traditionally, not online and not multiplayer. Over the last few years I've just played games like Uncharted and Skyrim. For a game like Battlefront, which I see is only multiplayer, how does that work exactly?

Do you still progress through "levels?" I guess I am just not sure how a story progresses in a game when you have to play multiplayer with strangers online.

Appreciate the patience for this dummy.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 10-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #3243
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
No real changes on the hardware front with PS4 still leading the way. But big changes in the software end as the NBA 2K franchise has a great release month.

September 2015 NPD: NBA, NFL games have big month as hardware sputters | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

Nowhere in the article did it say that the PS4 was still leading the way. In fact, it specifically stated that the manufacturers provided no specific numbers.

Quote:
Hardware
We’ve asked the hardware manufacturers for the data about their systems, and most declined to provide anything specific. But it’s obvious, according to the NPD, that Xbox One and PS4 are both still selling extraordinarily well.

“After 23 months on the market, combined PS4 and Xbox One sales are 40 percent higher than the combined 23 month totals for PS3 and 360,” said Callahan.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #3244
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

I tend to only play games traditionally, not online and not multiplayer. Over the last few years I've just played games like Uncharted and Skyrim. For a game like Battlefront, which I see is only multiplayer, how does that work exactly?

Do you still progress through "levels?" I guess I am just not sure how a story progresses in a game when you have to play multiplayer with strangers online.

You might get an answer here, but since this thread is almost entirely mbbf doing free marketing for Sony and others reacting to that, lots of people avoid this thread. You're sure to get an answer if you post in 2015 Video Games Thread - Page 6 - Front Office Football Central that thread.

I don't know anything about how Battlefront handles story/levelling/progressing given that its multiplayer only, sorry!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #3245
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Short answer: Battlefield, like most games of this nature, WILL have a single player mode, but it'll be nearly token. Very short, mostly tutorial in nature to prep users for online play.

Once you go online, the sort of "levels" you're progressing through are more like RPG levels than world levels. You play on different maps, but there's no continuity. Your progression is marked via your character's "leveling." As you play, you earn XP or something like it, which is then used to purchase various perks and unlocks to allow you to do more and cooler shit than you could do before.

But this isn't Super Mario Bros, where you start at 1-1 and work your way to 8-whatever.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #3246
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Battlefront is multiplayer only. No story mode at all.

Your character levels up with experience gained from playing matches which leads to new permanent weapon and item unlocks. The game will not really have a story to follow. The levels are there simply as a gateway to unlocking new items.

I think the closest comparison I've seen to how Battlefront plays is counterstrike. Battlefront has vehicles, Vader, Luke, ect. However, the game has no story, is fairly accessible for people starting out, but has a ton of depth because of the complexities of some of the maps.

In short, you jump into a match on a map (lets say Hoth) then you play that until one side wins or loses based on the objectives on that map. Then after the match your character receives XP and you're able to unlock new weapons/items and you're free to jump into another match. Rinse, repeat.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #3247
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nowhere in the article did it say that the PS4 was still leading the way. In fact, it specifically stated that the manufacturers provided no specific numbers.

Quit posting facts.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #3248
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Clearly Microsoft is done
They :-( they are throwing it n the towel.
Sony wins.
After they liquidate existing inventory they will be discontinuing X1
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #3249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Quit posting facts.

Ignoring the facts doesn't change the facts.

PlayStation 4 outsold Xbox One once again in September | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #3250
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Battlefront is multiplayer only. No story mode at all.

Your character levels up with experience gained from playing matches which leads to new permanent weapon and item unlocks. The game will not really have a story to follow. The levels are there simply as a gateway to unlocking new items.

I think the closest comparison I've seen to how Battlefront plays is counterstrike. Battlefront has vehicles, Vader, Luke, ect. However, the game has no story, is fairly accessible for people starting out, but has a ton of depth because of the complexities of some of the maps.

In short, you jump into a match on a map (lets say Hoth) then you play that until one side wins or loses based on the objectives on that map. Then after the match your character receives XP and you're able to unlock new weapons/items and you're free to jump into another match. Rinse, repeat.

That's killed my enthusiasm a great deal...