Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #3151
Bee
Pro Starter

Wait a second...

Daivd is lazy, doesn't think other countries know what they are doing, and blames everyone else for his problems? Holy crap, he's an American!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #3152
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Wait a second...

Daivd is lazy, doesn't think other countries know what they are doing, and blames everyone else for his problems? Holy crap, he's an American!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #3153
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
And he is 100% accurate about unintended impacts. If he can't replicate, it will be very difficult for him to fix. That doesn't mean he can't examine the code to see what would cause this, but he is correct that he'd just be guessing if it were fixed or not.

I get what you are saying, but I think what cartman is trying to imply is that he seems to be using it as an excuse to not fix the problem. Regardless of what may occur while he fixes it, he still has to fix it. Otherwise just let those people get a refund that continue to experience this problem on their systems.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #3154
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I think the situation with the kick off bug highlights what spcd was saying earlier about the difficulty of fixing a game where the frame rate affects the play outcomes.

Until you fix that problem and get play results stable across all frame rates, it must be incredibly difficult to debug the gameplay. The kick off bug could be affecting only players within a small range of frame rates. Fix their problem and you introduce another bug for players in a different set of frame rates. And on and on it goes. It's like trying to debug an entire set of interdependent games.

Seems to me the first thing you do is fix the frame rate problem, but then again, I may just be misunderstanding the situation.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #3155
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i still fail to understand how a game where the frame rate affects gameplay that drastically can have anything remotely approaching...i don't even know what the word is...appeal...statistics that are relevant to anybody not playing at that particular framerate?

wonky-ass grade-school design
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #3156
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well it looks like they will not be offering refunds to anyone. Sorry EagleFan, but he says you need to trade it with someone who wants the game:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1088546

Oh and the good news is that if anyone was waiting for the physical copy, it is now available for the fair price of $49.99. So let's see, Oblivion comes out on Monday at the same price. This is going to be a freakin' tough decision.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #3157
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is elmerlee one of us? His subtle, backhanded compliments are brilliant.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #3158
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oddly enough, oblivion will be where the world is before I consider spending a red cent on this game.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #3159
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Well it looks like they will not be offering refunds to anyone. Sorry EagleFan, but he says you need to trade it with someone who wants the game:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1088546

Oh and the good news is that if anyone was waiting for the physical copy, it is now available for the fair price of $49.99. So let's see, Oblivion comes out on Monday at the same price. This is going to be a freakin' tough decision.

No problemo. I'm just through purchasing Matrix games unless they have glowing reviews from many many people I trust.

Edit: I just realized you were addressing the other EF, but my comment stands

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-17-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #3160
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I tried to post a message over there commenting on the refund policy, and I can't reply to a thread or start a thread over there. Are other people having problems posting on Matrix's board right now, or have they banned me in some way for my few comments?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #3161
rkmsuf
Head Coach

donkeydong12 reports no problems posting
Old 03-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #3162
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
he says you need to trade it with someone who wants the game

For some reason this made me laugh more than just about anything else in this thread. I guess it was the image of EF walking the streets trying to find someone foolish enough to want the game.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #3163
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was just able to do a fast reply, but my post reply and new thread buttons aren't working. I fast replied to a non-related thread since that was my only chance for the Matrix people to see my post.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #3164
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I was just able to do a fast reply, but my post reply and new thread buttons aren't working. I fast replied to a non-related thread since that was my only chance for the Matrix people to see my post.

maybe they can do an on site at your friends house
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #3165
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

What is going on over at Matrix, playing hard ball like this?
They must know they screwed everyone who bought the game.
The bad PR could hurt them for years.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #3166
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt
What is going on over at Matrix, playing hard ball like this?
They must know they screwed everyone who bought the game.
The bad PR could hurt them for years.

What do you mean? People are loving the ability to create classic rosters and uniforms, and sometimes be able to create plays for the POS (or is it "in the PDS"). It has to be true, I read it over there. Some people are actually happy with their purchase. Now if you want to actually play a game where you field kicks, and have penalties marked off correctly, well you'll just have to wait for Vic and Eric to evolve from board moderators to developers. It's clear that this game is based on evolution, because there is not a shred of intelligent design to be found.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #3167
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

it's on now, beotch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Winter
Matrix Elite Guard

this game clearly does not deliver on previously promised features

I've heard this twice now. Advertised features (and feature sets) not in the game.

What features were not delievered? Yes, there are bugs with the existing feature set that I'm addressing, but as far as I know, the featureset, as advertised, is there.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-17-2006 at 12:54 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #3168
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
It's clear that this game is based on evolution, because there is not a shred of intelligent design to be found.

I disagree
I think god told Daivd which football rules to include.
It is all based on faith, do not attempt to use reason.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 03-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #3169
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I disagree
I think god told Daivd which football rules to include.
It is all based on faith, do not attempt to use reason.

I tried to channel Knute Rockne and Pop Warner using my Ouija Board to get a ruling on this, and here was their response:

A-W-9-moon-Yes-N-2-Good Bye
Old 03-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #3170
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I tried to channel Knute Rockne and Pop Warner using my Ouija Board to get a ruling on this, and here was their response:

A-W-9-moon-Yes-N-2-Good Bye

Are you sure that was Knute and Pop? That sounds like something Ronald Reagan would say.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #3171
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Are you sure that was Knute and Pop? That sounds like something Ronald Reagan would say.

Must have got the Gipper, close.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 03-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #3172
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Must have got the Gipper, close.

ah

that makes sense

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #3173
rkmsuf
Head Coach

eagle is 2-2 in getting threads locked over there.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #3174
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
What features were not delievered? Yes, there are bugs with the existing feature set that I'm addressing, but as far as I know, the featureset, as advertised, is there.

The first feature not delivered would be that it was advertised as a football simulation. From my understanding it's impossible to accurately simulate ANY known league.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #3175
spcd
n00b

Come on, a refund?

MF may be crap, but it's not crap because it's spectacularly buggy, just spectacularly crap, right up there with this: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/b...ml?sid=6086528

Anyone who thought the arcade/customizability/league/career/stats features of the game could possibly be any good is either one of the three delusional fan boys on the MF board, or the type of person who picks up Battlecruiser 3000 and thinks "hmmm this looks great!"

One of these days, a publisher is going to get a real kick up the arse when it's hit with a serious class action law suit, not by the blowhards that go into fora on release day and claim they're going to do it, but when a smart lawyer realizes that a rich holding company would make a nice target for a shakedown, and that day isn't far off.

But, IMHO, Matrix doesn't deserve to be slammed for not giving refunds, no one gives them. Usually any mention of such talk would be slapped down by fanboys, but alas, the MF ones are too busy trying to figure out how to cover the tight end, or why some field goals are worth 4 points, and Bubba Wheels dropped it like it was his two-headed baby. So there's none of the usual "you can't make comparisons to a car" , "wait until the next patch" or "it runs perfectly on my PC, you need to defragment your hard drive" circular arguements to defend the game, but surely that doesn't make it more a candidate for refund than most games within 2 weeks of release.
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #3176
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
The first feature not delivered would be that it was advertised as a football simulation. From my understanding it's impossible to accurately simulate ANY known league.

Again, Bee, you just have to customize the rules of your league to how the game plays on your system.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #3177
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Again, Bee, you just have to customize the rules of your league to how the game plays on your system.

I heard if you can get your framerate to be exactly 30.1285, you get a pretty good recreation of Danny White as a punter for the Memphis Southmen of the WFL.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #3178
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Really have to take everything here with as much a grain of salt as those things said over on the MF board. So many here are as pre-disposed to hate the game as they hate its creator that if and when the game is finally patched to be half-way decent it won't matter.

BTW, I haven't 'dropped' it yet, just waiting to see if it will become 'half-way decent.' Big difference.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #3179
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I give them credit for supporting the game through these first couple of weeks after release, but I wonder what happens when sales dry up, most customers have moved on to other games, and there is still a lot of work to do to finish the game.

That will be the real test of support for the game, both for Matrix and the developer.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 03-17-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #3180
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
eagle is 2-2 in getting threads locked over there.

Actually, the other EF got the other thread locked.

We are each 1 for 1.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #3181
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually, the other EF got the other thread locked.

We are each 1 for 1.

I couldn't figure out where this general forum was they kept talking about.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #3182
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It is NOT true that no other developers give refunds. I've gotten refunds on two different text sims that I've purchased in the last 2 years. I've also gotten a refund on a non-text sim from an independant developer.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #3183
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola (or maybe not) -

I have continued to purchase games from the companies that gave a refund on horribly buggy products because of their customer support. If they took Matrix's (and most bigger developer's policy) of not giving refunds, I would have stopped buying from those companies as well.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #3184
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

The no refunds policy would have better legs to stand on if they had a demo out where people could test the game first before buying it.

The policy is wrong since there is no demo.. and people should continue to stay away until there is a demo for people to see for themselves, instead of punishing the folks that have bought the game believing it would be as promised or advertised.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #3185
cartman
Death Herald

Also, people, don't forget that tonight is Daivd's developer chat at the Matrix website.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #3186
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, people, don't forget that tonight is Daivd's developer chat at the Matrix website.

What are the odds that it starts on time?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #3187
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
What are the odds that it starts on time?

My guess is that it turns into a computer game version of one of Bush's "Town Hall" meetings.

Question one: "Mr. Winters, I just want to congratulate you on this wonderful game you've given us"

DW: "Why thank you, non-FOFC troll. What is the question you have for me?"

Q1: "How can I help you make this perfect game even better?"
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #3188
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola (or maybe not) -

I have continued to purchase games from the companies that gave a refund on horribly buggy products because of their customer support. If they took Matrix's (and most bigger developer's policy) of not giving refunds, I would have stopped buying from those companies as well.

Yeah, what gets me about this whole situation is that you are purchasing this game blindly. There are currently no reviews for the game and no demo. You would think with the reputation of Matrix that it would be a decent game.

What bothers me even more is that they thought this game was worth $40 at the point where it had "gone gold". I have a hard time believing that Erik didn't see any of the issues that everyone is seeing now. In fact, they have even said they knew of a number of bugs, that the customers had come across, themselves. I'm sorry, but that just sounds shady.

The only way I will purchase anything from Matrix is if I know the developer has a good track record. Shaun Sullivan seems to be the only person that I know of as a developer and I will trust anything he puts out there. I don't think you can go by any reputation that Matrix had built for themselves over the years. And you know what, it actually not David's fault, because Matrix doesn't want to the do the right thing in this case. They just want to prove to themselves that they didn't make a mistake.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #3189
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I hope he has a lot of Irish customers.
Could be fun.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 03-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #3190
spcd
n00b

Quote:
It is NOT true that no other developers give refunds. I've gotten refunds on two different text sims that I've purchased in the last 2 years. I've also gotten a refund on a non-text sim from an independant developer.

Three indies, probably a fraction the size of Matrix, don't make a trend, they are notable exceptions. I've returned a game to Best Buy, that doesn't mean that their non-refund policy is a myth, just that there are exceptions.

Quote:

Then you too are most probably an exception. Either that, or Matrix, along with almost every publisher, are running a business model which is losing them money.

I have to ask, what did you expect when you bought the game? It's a version 1.0 from a single developer which overran by several years it's target release, and making a demo was deemed either impossible (by the developer and his hillarious description that the game is "too open source") or too time consuming (the publisher.) There's enough warning signs alone, even without being aware of this thread, and others, which were another sign that this game was a grave risk to buy. In future, if a game developers doesn't understand what open source means, then treat it as a warning a siren to hold off purchasing until it's been reviewed

I think you should be able to get your money back, for this game and for all software, but it's not going to happen while so many people are in a rush to give their money away for the promise of games. The best chance you have is to make some form of stink which Matrix deal with by giving a refund.
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #3191
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd
...The best chance you have is to make some form of stink which Matrix deal with by giving a refund.

Hmmmm...if I were EagleFan, I would delete it from my hard drive and send the game to be reviewed at Gamespot. Then trade back for the game and send it to another place to be reviewed.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #3192
Chris Jones
n00b

Just wanted to add and to clarify:

I was one of the retards that purchased the game after listening on how great the game would be. I'm not going into details but this is perhaps the worst simulation of football I've ever played. I was very upset that I paid 40 bucks for it. I then began researching the Matrix website for a refund policy and found a statement claiming a 14 day refund policy.

After a little aruging with the customer service, I did receive a full refund.

Just wanted people to know it is possible.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #3193
MJ4H
Coordinator

A Maximum Football success story! See folks, your dreams can come true, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #3194
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones
Just wanted to add and to clarify:

I was one of the retards that purchased the game after listening on how great the game would be. I'm not going into details but this is perhaps the worst simulation of football I've ever played. I was very upset that I paid 40 bucks for it. I then began researching the Matrix website for a refund policy and found a statement claiming a 14 day refund policy.

After a little aruging with the customer service, I did receive a full refund.

Just wanted people to know it is possible.

After reading this, I had to check it out for myself and damn....you are right. Here is the link to the return policy. Why would they lie about something like this?
https://www.digitalriver.com/dr/cs/e...=10342&pn=1#q1
Old 03-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #3195
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
For some reason this made me laugh more than just about anything else in this thread. I guess it was the image of EF walking the streets trying to find someone foolish enough to want the game.

No takers yet. Came close with one drunk bum on the street but he thought I said Maxim Football and thought it was a football game using the Maxim cover babes. Once he heard Maximum Football he just pointed at me and laughed (I don't get it ).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #3196
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wow. They must be checking out the site, because they changed that link quick. It now shows that all "sales are final".
Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #3197
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and it didn't used to? you didn't take a screenshot? quick...someone grab the google cached version of that page!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #3198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. They must be checking out the site, because they changed that link quick. It now shows that all "sales are final".

Very disappointing.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #3199
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. way to piss me off Matrix by pansying out and changing your return policy in response to a scandal involving a poor game released by you.

wow. just wow.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #3200
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you have a screenie Antmeister. I think you should post it over there. Blast the motherfuckers. Not that they don't have a right to change their return policy whenever they want, but that is REALLY weak IMO. And an "all sales are final" policy is a surefire way to lose me as a customer.