Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #3101
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Most of the Chinese apps are less about copyright and more about government censorship and control of content.

They've also been around for quite a while. Alibaba started in 99.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #3102
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Isn't the scale is different? There is more foreign government subsidies to their airlines.

There's no comparison. The middle eastern airlines are state supported, have been getting money directly from the coffers of the country to operate. As a result, they have eroded European and US carriers market shares.

There is no government subsidy that comes to US airlines. Those carriers have been supported an average of 4bln per year, before all the attention came. That's above bar money. If the government gave any of the US carriers that much we'd be able to fly around half empty, on unprofitable routes too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #3103
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sure, but by very publically announcing we are only blocking flights from very specific locations (and in many cases not locations right next door) surely we've just allowed that 1% risk to migrate somewhere else? If I've been planning this out of Tunis, I'm not just going to do it out of Algiers instead?

Each country has different tracking and security measures (in addition to the US), so the reasoning may be that they are more comfortable with one area over another for screening and passenger information. Additionally, the number of flights from that part of the world to the US is fairly small. It's not like we're talking Rochester NY instead of Buffalo with all the flight opportunities. Only direct flights.

There aren't any US carriers that operate directs from those countries to the US anyway. There's a lot of tracking of passengers that goes on behind the scenes. If someone had a ticket, changed a ticket to avoid the rules, I'm guessing that would be flagged somewhere in the system. You're talking about only direct flights to the US from these countries. So maybe 15-20 flights a day total? If you figure 2 flights per day from each (total guess), but it illustrates that it's a little easier to find people when you're looking at a few flights vs. hundreds that we have domestically in the US.

Like Steam?

Old 03-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #3104
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP House Intel members spent all day Monday demanding the FBI prosecute leakers and today the GOP chair told Trump and the press about the secret targets of FISA warrants.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #3105
Edward64
Head Coach

This was a surprised to me, not sure if its some sort of gamesmanship/bluff but actually okay with it. Easy to see Trump moving on, hard to see Ryan and other GOP letting it go though ...

If it loses the vote tomorrow, my vote is move on to other things. I'm more interested in changing up tax reform, immigration etc.

Live updates: Freedom Caucus members still oppose repeal bill - POLITICO
Quote:
Spicer says no Plan B if House bill fails. White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Wednesday expressed confidence that the House will approve Obamacare repeal and suggested there are no alternatives if the bill fails. Spicer said Trump will move on to other items on his legislative agenda. Asked if the White House has a Plan B if the House bill fails, Spicer said, "This is it. This is the only train leaving the station.”

He added that the White House feels "very good" about the bill's prospects. "But I just want to be clear, we have a robust agenda including tax reform, trade, immigration ... there's a lot of other things that need to get done," he said.

Trump on House bill: 'We’ll see what happens.' House Republican leaders have dubbed Trump the “closer” in negotiations over the Obamacare repeal bill. But the president himself is sounding less than confident about the legislation’s prospects in the House Thursday.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #3106
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think the bill will be pulled if they don't have the votes. They seem to be 7-8 votes short based on reports I've seen. The freedom caucus doesn't really have any incentive to support it. They won't be primaried from the right. I hope it fails and they move on. Tax reform would get bipartisan support.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #3107
miked
College Starter

Regardless of the house, it is dead in the senate. Not sure why they would want to vote on something that will fail the senate.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #3108
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Regardless of the house, it is dead in the senate. Not sure why they would want to vote on something that will fail the senate.

My guess is so they can blame it on the Senate during election time.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #3109
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The GOP House Intel members spent all day Monday demanding the FBI prosecute leakers and today the GOP chair told Trump and the press about the secret targets of FISA warrants.

The same GOP chair that doesn't seem to understand the difference between incidental and targeted collection.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #3110
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

They passed a bill a couple of years ago that repealed Obamacare only and it was never getting past the Senate. If they bothered then....

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #3111
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, considering the last twelve months, I've learned to say "Never say never", but if Trump has pulled a rabbit out of a hat before, this may be pulling a hat out of a rabbit. Much messier.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #3112
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, considering the last twelve months, I've learned to say "Never say never", but if Trump has pulled a rabbit out of a hat before, this may be pulling a hat out of a rabbit. Much messier.

You just grab the rabbit by the pussy. He can do it, he has tiny hands.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #3113
Logan
Head Coach

Still nothing to see:

US officials: Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Last edited by Logan : 03-23-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #3114
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So the House is expected to vote on a healthcare bill today.

A bill which no one has a clear idea of what's included
Will have no CBO score
Includes special deals for individual states
Is planned to be passed by reconciliation
Will only be passed(if at all) on a partisan vote
etc....

It's enough to make me think the process arguments against the ACA weren't sincere.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #3115
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Well. I'm headed to New York in April for the office to meet the staff in NY. Via Etihad Airways, Manila to Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi to New York. This should be fun.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-23-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #3116
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Well. I'm headed to New York in April for the office to meet the staff in NY. Via Etihad Airways, Manila to Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi to New York. This should be fun.

I guess you won't be playing the newest FOF on the plane.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #3117
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I guess you won't be playing the newest FOF on the plane.

Indeed. I hope the in-flight entertainment is good.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #3118
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So the House is expected to vote on a healthcare bill today.

A bill which no one has a clear idea of what's included
Will have no CBO score
Includes special deals for individual states
Is planned to be passed by reconciliation
Will only be passed(if at all) on a partisan vote
etc....

It's enough to make me think the process arguments against the ACA weren't sincere.

So you are just now concluding that America's plutocracy is corrupt? Or is it still a partisan thing where the GOP is corrupt and the Democrats are trying their darnedest to clean everything up?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #3119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

We should have a poll to see how many of us think you will be detained when you reach America
Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #3120
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

No, I simply think he was simply highlighting the hypocrisy. And the irony.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #3121
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
No, I simply think he was simply highlighting the hypocrisy. And the irony.

No doubt. And yet the two parties will still pull 95%+ of the vote in the next election. Maybe the politicians aren't so dumb? Maybe it's the American people who not only vote for them but debate back and forth on message boards about them for four years and then still think they can only pull one of two levers so as not to "waste" their vote.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #3122
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #3123
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
No doubt. And yet the two parties will still pull 95%+ of the vote in the next election. Maybe the politicians aren't so dumb? Maybe it's the American people who not only vote for them but debate back and forth on message boards about them for four years and then still think they can only pull one of two levers so as not to "waste" their vote.

A billion different political parties aren't going to suddenly stop the corruption or oligarchy. Anarchy isn't the answer either.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #3124
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
A billion different political parties aren't going to suddenly stop the corruption or oligarchy. Anarchy isn't the answer either.

No doubt. Just amused by the hoard of posters here who not only incorrectly think this just started in 2016 (though Trump's admin seems to not give a crap about hiding it) or that something is going to actually change in 2018/2020.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #3125
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
No doubt. Just amused by the hoard of posters here who not only incorrectly think this just started in 2016 (though Trump's admin seems to not give a crap about hiding it) or that something is going to actually change in 2018/2020.

And I think that's the crux of the argument here. You can't have someone in power who so totally gives no fucks about what his actions are. The Republicans are trying really hard to let him have leeway, but at some point they can't allow this man to simply bandy about flaunting everything in their faces. He isn't larger than the office. His support will crumble if even 5% more of the public drops away from him. Congress will be forced to act "for the good of the counrty" or whatever that means to them, but it'll be to preserve the support at home that pushes them to do it.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #3126
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
We should have a poll to see how many of us think you will be detained when you reach America

I hope not. that would suck.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #3127
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope not too
Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #3128
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Let me be the dummy who raises his hand to admit that he does not think the supposed leaders of our government were working together with the Russians that much prior to around 2016.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #3129
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Your posts in these threads are SO HELPFUL. Thank you for showing us all the light.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #3130
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Your posts in these threads are SO HELPFUL. Thank you for showing us all the light.

I apologize for interrupting the circle jerk of the same 5-6 posters saying over and over how awful Trump is and thinking that the corrupt Congress is actually going to do anything about it. Back to your regular complaining about Russia and how "We got him dead to rights this time guys!"
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #3131
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope not. that would suck.

I'm sure you fit a profile somewhere. Remember, don't act up or throw a fit, just go with it.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #3132
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I apologize for interrupting the circle jerk of the same 5-6 posters saying over and over how awful Trump is and thinking that the corrupt Congress is actually going to do anything about it. Back to your regular complaining about Russia and how "We got him dead to rights this time guys!"

Better than a 1 man Libertarian circle jerk. Apology accepted.

Sorry, I mean "Libertarian".

Last edited by Butter : 03-23-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #3133
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you are just now concluding that America's plutocracy is corrupt? Or is it still a partisan thing where the GOP is corrupt and the Democrats are trying their darnedest to clean everything up?

What's the point in complaining about posts because they aren't the right thing to complain about? Be a libertarian, that's fine, but most people don't want to be libertarians, not because they are too dumb, but because they genuinely think there are better alternatives.

For all the, IMO, overblown talk of Dems being condescending, there's really no equivalent to the common complaints of two party voters are sheeple!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #3134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Be a libertarian, that's fine, but most people don't want to be libertarians, not because they are too dumb, but because they genuinely think there are better alternatives.

Co-signed +1
Old 03-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #3135
PilotMan
Head Coach

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features.../?ex_cid=538fb

Very cool numbers and Math and science enclosed.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #3136
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No vote today, and no Ryan press conference either. Sounds like they couldn't get the HFC to bend.

edit: I do feel bad for Sean Spicer, who has roughly the same job that the Iraqi Information Minister had.. to stand there with a straight face and pretty much try to convince everyone that things are fine, that there was no iceberg, the ship isn't sinking... Reminds me of "Man" in this bit from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-23-2017 at 03:30 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #3137
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features.../?ex_cid=538fb

Very cool numbers and Math and science enclosed.

the_Donald - politics results are so incredibly telling, and also completely unsurprising.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #3138
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
No vote today, and no Ryan press conference either. Sounds like they couldn't get the HFC to bend.

Delayed till Fri. Seems to me they need more time than that but we'll see ...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #3139
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
edit: I do feel bad for Sean Spicer, who has roughly the same job that the Iraqi Information Minister had.. to stand there with a straight face and pretty much try to convince everyone that things are fine, that there was no iceberg, the ship isn't sinking... Reminds me of "Man" in this bit from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The difference is Baghdad Bob actually believed what he said till the very end.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #3140
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

The difference is Baghdad Bob actually believed what he said till the very end.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #3141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They want the bill to fail in the Senate so they can use it against all the Dems running in the Senate in 2018. Isn't it 20-22ish?

Then if they can get 60 senate Seats, they'll pass a real motherfucker of a bill in 2019.

Right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #3142
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The bill is polling at 17-56. Democrats aren't the ones that need to fear their vote.

And that poll was before whatever changes happen tonight.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #3143
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They want the bill to fail in the Senate so they can use it against all the Dems running in the Senate in 2018. Isn't it 20-22ish?

Then if they can get 60 senate Seats, they'll pass a real motherfucker of a bill in 2019.

Right?

They've run on repealing Obamacare for 3 elections now. If they can't when they have both houses and the presidency, there is no way Republicans go into the next election looking good.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #3144
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm sure you fit a profile somewhere. Remember, don't act up or throw a fit, just go with it.

I'm not too concerned about Immigration, I've got proper documents and I've been to and fro the US the last half-decade or so. Just a little bit inconvenienced. It's an 8 hour flight to Abu Dhabi, then a 14 hour flight to New York. Not having my PS Vita or Ipad will suck.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #3145
Easy Mac

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about Immigration, I've got proper documents and I've been to and fro the US the last half-decade or so. Just a little bit inconvenienced. It's an 8 hour flight to Abu Dhabi, then a 14 hour flight to New York. Not having my PS Vita or Ipad will suck.

Is a Vita larger than a cell phone?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #3146
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

A little bit yeah, think 6-7 inch tablet size (not as wide but about as long).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #3147
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Right?

Breitbart is now referring to it as Ryancare and attacking it. So Trump knows it's not going to pass and it's now a competition between Trump and Ryan as to who takes responsibility.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #3148
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

I have learned that with airline and TSA regulations, erring on the safer side of things saves much headache and hassle.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #3149
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Breitbart is now referring to it as Ryancare and attacking it. So Trump knows it's not going to pass and it's now a competition between Trump and Ryan as to who takes responsibility.

More like RyanDontCare amirite... huh...

Old 03-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #3150
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Indiana Restaurant Owner To Be Deported Friday | News - Indiana Public Media

Quote:
During an interview earlier this month, Helen said she voted for President Donald Trump because she supports his immigration policies. She said criminals should be deported, but she didn’t think her husband would face that fate.

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked,” Helen said.

I think that this gets to something about President Trump's appeal. There's a simplicity to him (and Bernie for that matter) that I missed. Most politicians put out policies or outlines of policies that create winners and losers.

Trump just said "I'll help the good and hurt the bad" without any clarification. And, because most people assume that they are good, he won.

I mean, someone whose husband was here illegally voted for Trump because Trump said that the good people wouldn't have to worry. Her voting for Trump makes no sense if you think of the policies on which Trump campaigned. It makes perfect sense if she believed that Trump would, personally, help anyone who needed it.

For all of my attempts to try and make things about policy, this era of politics has nothing to do with policy. I'm still coming to grips with that.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote