Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3101
Flasch186
Coordinator

Ok, assuming all the speeches are written by pros on both sides...this speech just isnt very good and this past 2 weeks we've seen some spectacular speeches, truly. Obama's and Palin's were masterful....

this one is the worst of them all I think. Granted Im sure I didnt see ALL of the speeches of ALL of the days but this seems to be the most disconnected, most interrupted (unfortunately), most poorly executed, etc. This writer needed help, apparently. Now perhaps its a better speech on paper but he needs to understand his deliverer and if it's a known struggler than he needed to tweak it for that....you have to know your audience...but you also have to know who's at the podium.

sorry, thats my opinion

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3102
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yep, it's a good thing McCain has Palin because he's really dull.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #3103
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That was an odd section. We messed this up...we messed that up...and now we're going to fix it.

The Republicans screwed up government, vote Republican, argument seems really difficult to pull off.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #3104
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dull and awkward up front, but he seems to be hitting his stride in talking about core GOP positions.

I really don't see Americans going for the veteran senator offering reform/change in Washington.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #3105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Ok, assuming all the speeches are written by pros on both sides...this speech just isnt very good and this past 2 weeks we've seen some spectacular speeches, truly. Obama's and Palin's were masterful....

this one is the worst of them all I think. Granted Im sure I didnt see ALL of the speeches of ALL of the days but this seems to be the most disconnected, most interrupted (unfortunately), most poorly executed, etc. This writer needed help, apparently. Now perhaps its a better speech on paper but he needs to understand his deliverer and if it's a known struggler than he needed to tweak it for that....you have to know your audience...but you also have to know who's at the podium.

sorry, thats my opinion

He's coming off worse than W would've right now. I mean, McCain is better unscripted anyway. He is, if nothing else...being specific enough to clarify the difference between the Dems and the GOP. And he's been way less technical in his speech than Barry. Though Obama is getting way better at it.

He's improved this whole cycle, I can't see him slaying the Clintons and choking on a guy who W beat in 2000. It'll be close from now 'til November, but the GOP sales pitch is a moving target just like the Clintons was. Even if they slime, I can't see how they emerge from this thing with a win.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #3106
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
They'll get their ATM machine fired up again for the last stretch of the race. No way the people they've stoked up are gonna quit now. The last 45 days of this race are gonna be nothing like we've seen before.

That's crazy talk, why...wait, what's that?

Quote:
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - After Palin speech, Obama has record $10 million day « - Blogs from CNN.com

After Palin speech, Obama has record $10 million day
Posted: 08:50 PM ET

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign for president has raised $10 million since Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin spoke Wednesday night, the campaign announced, calling it a "one-day record."

Palin, the governor of Alaska, launched harsh attacks on Obama, accusing him of being two-faced and a political lightweight with no significant legislative accomplishments.

"Coverage of the Palin attacks on the news this evening just pushed us over $10 million," Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in an e-mail to reporters Wednesday night.

The Republican Party announced earlier in the day it had raised $1 million in the wake of Palin's speech.

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #3107
Flasch186
Coordinator

Wow, his description of what he'll do is scaring me, and I would think, scaring middle class Americans.

Whew, Either McCain's Stamina rating is in the 30's (2k7) or it seems he's getting worse as we go along and the audience is getting lost. Holy shit he's struggling now.

nice closeup of the kid yawning in the audience.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #3108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

as i've said in the past flasch - according to Romney, McCain simply is NOT capable of delivering a prepared speech. I have no doubt his handlers and writers tried their asses off (they don't want to fail after all), but there's only so much they can do.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #3109
Jas_lov
College Starter

This is just terrible. It's past McCain's bedtime. He doesn't even look interested.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #3110
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea for the McCain campaign to start talking about change? That's an incredibly stupid thing to start focusing his campaign on.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #3111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I can't see how they emerge from this thing with a win.

The formula for that will actually be simple: just keep reminding voters who McCain is running against. That ought to be just enough to do it. Hardly anybody voting for McCain is particularly happy about it, but if he doesn't screw up majorly being "not Obama" should pull him through.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #3112
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow... I'm not liking his educational philosophies.

I guess he doesn't realize that there is already a teacher shortage and that there are not a whole lot of charter school spots available in all areas.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #3113
sabotai
General Manager

I feel like I've heard about this policy plan of his 8 years ago...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #3114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea for the McCain campaign to start talking about change? That's an incredibly stupid thing to start focusing his campaign on.

EXACTLY!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #3115
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The formula for that will actually be simple: just keep reminding voters who McCain is running against. That ought to be just enough to do it. Hardly anybody voting for McCain is particularly happy about it, but if he doesn't screw up majorly being "not Obama" should pull him through.

Yeah, but how did that work for Kerry in 2004? Look, I have no doubt this election is about Obama, but it seems to me the McCain has every incentive to try and change it to at least try and sell his own story - push his way into the limelight.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #3116
Flasch186
Coordinator

wrap it up with Al Qaeda.....recipe for success.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #3117
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think I just saw Rudy, on the sidelines, mouthing "Don't forget to mention 9/11!"
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #3118
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Did he just say Obama doesn't have scars?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #3119
Flasch186
Coordinator

Well to follow up on my opinion of this:

Im sure it's good enough for his base BUT I wonder if he didnt lose some of the middle with his performance tonight. It was truly a below average performance for any public speaking and Im not saying its fair to judge specifically on these nights but we've given credit where it was due so it's only fair to lay blame when it's called for too. It almost feels like a High School Gymnasium motivational speaker.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #3120
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That was an odd section. We messed this up...we messed that up...and now we're going to fix it.

The Republicans screwed up government, vote Republican, argument seems really difficult to pull off.
As a liberal I'll gladly admit my group has its own shortcomings but the inherent contradiction of most conservative arguments just drives me up the wall -- McCain railed against Obama for promoting bureacracy, then launched into how he wants the federal government hiring and firing teachers in my local school.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #3121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yeah, but how did that work for Kerry in 2004?

I started to make reference to that but I figured the difference would be obvious: McCain is running against Obama 08, not Bush 04.

Besides, what other choice for strategy does McCain really have? Even most of the people who are planning to vote for him aren't very happy about it. There's nothing he can do to significantly change that without alienating the voters he already has. If he doesn't run "against Obama", he's toast. If he does, I genuinely believe he's got a very good chance of winning in spite of himself. And if he doesn't then we'll get exactly what we deserve.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #3122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well to follow up on my opinion of this:

Im sure it's good enough for his base BUT I wonder if he didnt lose some of the middle with his performance tonight. It was truly a below average performance for any public speaking and Im not saying its fair to judge specifically on these nights but we've given credit where it was due so it's only fair to lay blame when it's called for too.

McCain is a horrific speaker, but he is probably the most moderate of the 4 republican/democrat president/VP candidates. His message and intentions didn't lose me (mr. Moderate voter). His choice of backing down to the religious right and choosing their candidate along with her beliefs is what lost me previously. McCain could have won this election I think if he (or someone) finally realized that there is a large number of centralist that want a candidate to speak to their interest for once. Not cater to the left or the right for a change. Out of the presidents in my life time, Clinton was the closest to achieving this goal.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #3123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I would've voted for McCain 2000 over Obama. Now, I vote third party because I can choose an idealist, pragmatic and charismatic liberal who wants to help me save myself over a war hero who seems to think that wrapping his own ambition in the cloak of the American flag is worthy enough of my vote.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #3124
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
McCain is a horrific speaker, but he is probably the most moderate of the 4 republican/democrat president/VP candidates.

To be fair, when the other 3 are Obama, Biden and Palin, it's not exactly difficult to be the most moderate of the group.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #3125
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
McCain is a horrific speaker, but he is probably the most moderate of the 4 republican/democrat president/VP candidates. His message and intentions didn't lose me (mr. Moderate voter). His choice of backing down to the religious right and choosing their candidate along with her beliefs is what lost me previously. McCain could have won this election I think if he (or someone) finally realized that there is a large number of centralist that want a candidate to speak to their interest for once. Not cater to the left or the right for a change. Out of the presidents in my life time, Clinton was the closest to achieving this goal.

Yeah, but McCain probably wouldn't have been able to get the nomination and I think he realized that. Clinton did run a centrist campaign, but he had superior campaign skills and a much weaker field to run against. That Dem 92 field was horrific. It basically came down to him, Tsongas, and Jerry Brown.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #3126
Flasch186
Coordinator

McCain's telling us what to do to help our country, "...feed a homeless person, teach an [illiterate] to read,..." I gotta ask if that is as a community organizer?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #3127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was truly a below average performance for any public speaking

So in other words it was about the norm for McCain (I truly can't think of five people in my lifetime I thought were actually worse speakers if you actually listened to them, something I discovered long before this campaign started)
Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #3128
Logan
Head Coach

This final pump-up part of the speech is laughable given how poorly he is selling it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #3129
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
McCain's telling us what to do to help our country, "...feed a homeless person, teach an [illiterate] to read,..." I gotta ask if that is as a community organizer?

Heh, nice.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #3130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This final pump-up part of the speech is laughable given how poorly he is selling it.

I felt bad for the guy- it was painful to watch. McCain 2000 would have been fired up but he's just tired now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #3131
ace1914
High School Varsity

That was brutal.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #3132
Jas_lov
College Starter

The crowd is cheering that it's finally over. McCain inspired no one tonight.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #3133
ace1914
High School Varsity

McCain is just too damn old. I think he was going the wrong way on the stage and Palin had to pull him in the correct direction. He was the absolute worst speaker at his own convention.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #3134
Flasch186
Coordinator

Heart's Barracuda is truly a nice touch, I love Heart.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #3135
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pappy O"Daniel: "We need a shot in the arm. You hear me boys? In the goddamn arm! Election held tomorrw, that son of bitch Stokes would win it in a walk!"

Junior O'Daniel: "Well' he's the reform candidate, Daddy."

Pappy O"Daniel: "Yeah."

Junior O'Daniel: "A lot of people like that reform. Maybe we should get us some."

Pappy O"Daniel: "I'll reform you, you soft-headed son of a bitch. How we gonna run reform when we're the damn incumbent?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #3136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Take this FWIW ... my wife, very fiscal conservative, more socially moderate than any of you would ever believe possible just told me that I really missed it, that McCain just gave the speech of his life. As you might expect, my reaction included the phrase "that ain't saying much".

Fair notice, he had her vote regardless of what he said/did tonight, but she certainly seems more satisfied with that eventual vote than she was before the convention.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #3137
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But Clinton didn't run as a moderate in 1992, that was a reaction to the asswhipping the Dems got in 1994. Clinton ran saying he'd raise taxes, balance the gap between rich and poor and add significant government control to healthcare. Sure he said he was a New Democrat and had the DLC, but his policies were fairly liberal.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #3138
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
After Obama got slammed by some here for not giving any details on how he planned to do the stuff he mentioned in his speech, I was sure glad that McCain gave details.

Oh, wait, he didn't either? Damn.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #3139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

McCain was never considered a great speaker, but at least he articulated policy positions and economic plans.

Though it was funny when he was telling the crowd that the Republicans failed the people, the place got reeeeeeal quiet.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-04-2008 at 10:15 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #3140
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
McCain was never considered a great speaker, but at least he articulated policy positions and economic plans.

Heh.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #3141
Flasch186
Coordinator

you guys need to talk and get on the same page.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #3142
ace1914
High School Varsity

Its amazing how different points of view, see the same event. Reading these comments, I feel like I'm reading "Vantage Point" script on FOFC.

Last edited by ace1914 : 09-04-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #3143
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post
Its amazing how different points of view, see the same event. Reading these comments, I feel like I'm reading "Vantage Point" on FOFC.

I'm disappointed in you. Rashomon would have been a much more elitist reference.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-04-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #3144
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But Clinton didn't run as a moderate in 1992, that was a reaction to the asswhipping the Dems got in 1994. Clinton ran saying he'd raise taxes, balance the gap between rich and poor and add significant government control to healthcare. Sure he said he was a New Democrat and had the DLC, but his policies were fairly liberal.

That might be so. I was 17 in the 1992 election and didn't vote until the 96 election when I did vote for Clinton (my first election voting).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #3145
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
After Obama got slammed by some here for not giving any details on how he planned to do the stuff he mentioned in his speech, I was sure glad that McCain gave details.

Oh, wait, he didn't either? Damn.

John McCain gave the detail that mattered, POW.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #3146
ace1914
High School Varsity

Palin and Guiliani fucked him with those great speeches yesterday.

And then we had those idiots in the crowd. Protesting is cool, but that was completely uncalled for.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #3147
SFL Cat
College Starter

Reverse the GOP ticket...now!

OT...we need a surge in Chicago

Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer - Total Is About Double The Death Toll In Iraq
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #3148
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

McCain won't drop Palin, but can Palin drop McCain?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #3149
Flasch186
Coordinator

Ill take that as an SFL in agreement that McCain's speech wasn't very good...at least in comparison to Palin's.

Jeffrey Toobin on CNN says it was the worst speech by a nominee since Carter which I didnt hear obviously.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #3150
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Reverse the GOP ticket...now!

OT...we need a surge in Chicago

Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer - Total Is About Double The Death Toll In Iraq

I'm so glad, I went to college.