Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #3051
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Is that from movies or music, or where exactly does this usage usually get used out of curiosity? It obviously is from something that I Have very little exposure to.

history
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #3052
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Is that from movies or music, or where exactly does this usage usually get used out of curiosity? It obviously is from something that I Have very little exposure to.

No.

It's from actual people, who used the term in reference to black folks who weren't in their proper place. Who thought they were better than white folks and in some cases, black folks using it to other black folks who think they're better than "ordinary" black people.

It's not as say, a common term now as it was. But that's due to the verbal judo that occurs in modern lexicon. But the term still has applicable and usage among some sectors, depending on where you go...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3053
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Main Entry: up·pi·ty ne·gro
Pronunciation: 'up + -ity 'nE-(")grO
Function: proper noun
: a fearless black person who by social definition is "not in their place”
:a Black person who is committed to reversing the crimes of self-refusal, self-denial, and self-hatred that are endemic to the Black community and detrimental to the Black psyche
: UNAPOLOGETIC. VAINGLORIOUS. MULTIFARIOUS. JUST AUDACIOUS.

how is that a bad term then?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #3054
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
history

Thanks for being helpful here Some people are trying to do a bit more than just push agendas around in this thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No.

It's from actual people, who used the term in reference to black folks who weren't in their proper place. Who thought they were better than white folks and in some cases, black folks using it to other black folks who think they're better than "ordinary" black people.

It's not as say, a common term now as it was. But that's due to the verbal judo that occurs in modern lexicon. But the term still has applicable and usage among some sectors, depending on where you go...

Fair enough. I've heard and read where people were called "Uncle Toms" or such, so it sounds like from this usage, it is just a less familiar method of calling someone the same. I don't think I would find many reasons to call someone "uppity" myself, but I guess I would perceive it as an insult either way (racial meaning or not)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #3055
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think it was definitely used in a racial context, but he'll be able to dodge any serious scandal because of plausable deniability and representing a district that probably doesn't much care.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #3056
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Quote:
Main Entry: up·pi·ty ne·gro
Pronunciation: 'up + -ity 'nE-(")grO
Function: proper noun
: a fearless black person who by social definition is "not in their place”
:a Black person who is committed to reversing the crimes of self-refusal, self-denial, and self-hatred that are endemic to the Black community and detrimental to the Black psyche
: UNAPOLOGETIC. VAINGLORIOUS. MULTIFARIOUS. JUST AUDACIOUS.

how is that a bad term then?

It's bad from the perspective of the person calling someone that term, but the definition given here is a way of turning that term around and making it a compliment. I think most African-Americans would probably consider it a good thing to be called this, but would not like the person that said it.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-04-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #3057
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
in common usage it pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the n-word. as in "uppity n*(#$#"

Once again, my soul weeps.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #3058
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
. I think most African-Americans would probably consider it a good thing to be called this, but would not like the person that said it.

No, they wouldn't. You don't have to understand why. Just trust me. It's not a complement.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #3059
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
No, they wouldn't. You don't have to understand why. Just trust me. It's not a complement.

It's not about a lack of understanding. I completely understand why it wouldn't, but I can also understand why someone could turn it around and take it the other way. Maybe "most" was not the right word to use, though.

I'm certainly not defending Westmoreland here. I think he's a racist fuck.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-04-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #3060
cuervo72
Head Coach

:facepalm:
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #3061
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There was a thread about "uppity" a while back, brought about by the former Rep. McKinney's camp, where they called the blacks in her district that did not support her 'uppity'.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #3062
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There was a thread about "uppity" a while back, brought about by the former Rep. McKinney's camp, where they called the blacks in her district that did not support her 'uppity'.

sounds like a compliment then
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #3063
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Well, the Obama kids held some microphones and talked on-stage. At least his youngest daughter knew the difference between Kansas City and St. Louis.

Is there a difference?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #3064
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I had to read Westmoreland's quote about three times to figure out what he was trying to say (almost looked like it was putting Palin & Obama in the same category the first couple of times I read it).

As written, it seems to me he was searching for something that meant "they think they're big shots"; i.e. "they think they're better than everyone else" or in some other regions maybe the colloquialism would be "they think they're hot shit" or "they think their shit don't stink".

As I've run across the word over time, I believe it can be used with more of a class distinction than a racial one although the most common usage is historical & racially connected.

Lynn isn't, in my estimation, isn't exactly the most refined guy in the world (although he tries to appear that way at times) and I suspect he was trying to avoid using some variation of the colorful phrases I mentioned and boil it down to a single word. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't exactly the best choice he could have made. I think he was largely trying to make the same criticism that Jesse Jackson made at one point but being a white guy, picked the wrong word to do it with, and should have stuck with "elitist" instead.

As for the impact of it all, well let's see. His district is 57% white but he pulled 75% of the general election vote last time. I'd be surprised if this changed those margins significantly this November.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2008 at 04:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #3065
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
history

lol

I am guessing if you are african american you know exactly what it means.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-04-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #3066
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Barack Obama: Portrait of a pragmatist -- chicagotribune.com
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #3067
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

ST. PAUL -- The McCain campaign must be giddy with this news, just out from Nielsen: Sarah Palin's speech generated 37.2 million viewers, just 1.1 million viewers fewer than watched Barak Obama's Invesco Field acceptance speech. As Nielsen notes, only six networks carried Palin's speech compared with ten for Obama's.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-04-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #3068
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME

According to Nicole Wallace of the McCain campaign, the American people don't care whether Sarah Palin can answer specific questions about foreign and domestic policy. According to Wallace -- in an appearance I did with her this morning on Joe Scarborough's show -- the American people will learn all they need to know (and all they deserve to know) from Palin's scripted speeches and choreographed appearances on the campaign trail and in campaign ads.

So does this mean know interviews or press conferences the entire campaign from Palin?

That's pretty disheartening if so. I understand she's being hounded by the media, but an act like this doesn't really instill my confidence in someone's ability to be VP of our country.

Last edited by Calis : 09-04-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #3069
Flasch186
Coordinator

unfortunately i wont be watching anything tonight that doesnt involve a pigskin.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #3070
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I could've posted this in the NCAA thread. I told my wife I Baracked Kansas State today. She asked me what did that mean. I told her that it meant that I beat them around like an old white woman.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #3071
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

CBS Poll: McCain, Obama Tied, McCain Closes Eight-Point Gap From Poll Taken Last Weekend - CBS News

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #3072
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Palin's children should take priority over being Vice President » Brazen Careerist by Penelope Trunk

Penelope Trunk saying what barely anyone else would ever bother to say.

Quote:
Okay. Look. I wasn't going to tell you what I think of Sarah Palin, but so many people are asking, so fine. Here it is. She is nuts. And the Republicans are nuts for putting her on a ticket. She has a five-month-old kid with Down's Syndrome.

Why is no one writing about this? I have a special needs kid. I have two. Here's what happens when you have a special needs kid. You are in shock. You love the kid. I loved my first one so much that even though there was something like an 80% chance of having another kid with autism, I had a second kid.

And guess what? The second kid had a different disability than the first. Amazing. Statistically phenomenal, really. But my point here is that I'm very qualified to tell you what it's like to be a breadwinner mom of a five-month-old special needs kid. And, it's not just from my perspective. I am a magnet for breadwinner moms. They constantly write to me. And when I write about this topic—being the breadwinner and having a special needs kid—women come out of the woodwork. They all say exactly what I'm telling you now: it's insane. It's insanely hard.

Here's what's insanely hard. You go through a mourning period. Don't tell me about love and how everyone is different. Because everyone is the same about their kids: They love their kids no matter what, and they didn't plan on having a special needs kid, no matter what. So you need adjusting time.

And here's more I know from both statistics and first-hand experience: It's nearly impossible to keep a marriage together with a special needs kid. And it's nearly impossible to keep a marriage together when the husband quits his job to take care of the kids (which Palin's husband just did). And Sarah needs her marriage to stay together pretty badly right now.

And who will take care of the newest member of the family? Certainly not the 17-year-old daughter who is pregnant with the newest kid. So the dad now has three teens at home and soon two kids under one year old at home and one has special needs. This is not a reasonable job. For anyone.

I know that I'm going to be reminded me that I have a nanny, a house manager, and a cleaning woman (who actually shows up every day). But I also have a job that allows me to leave at 2:30. It's a compromise for me. Because every parent in the world has had to compromise, and it's fair to judge public figures on the choices they make.

It's really hard to know where to compromise. Here's what I was doing when my kid was five months old: I was at home. Hating it. Telling myself that I was not cut out to be at home. I was sort of a columnist and sort of a mom and sort of a psychopath. Because having a five-month-old with special needs is very very hard. Not just learning to take care of the baby, but mentally coping.

Why is no one talking about this? The Republicans should dump Palin. She's got too much responsibility at home.

Don't tell me that this is not fair to women. Because you know what? People should have railed against John Edwards running for President when he had two young kids at home and a wife fighting cancer. Fine if she wants him to run for office while she fights the cancer. I get it. But I don't get how the President of the United States was going to have time to console two school age kids about their mom's death while leading the country. It's irresponsible.

I know it's not cool to tell people how to parent. I know it's not cool because every day someone asks me how I run my company when I have two young kids and what they are really saying is "you suck as a parent." It's hard to hear every day, so I have empathy for the idea that everyone should shut up about how other people parent.

But it's absurd how extreme these presidential-wanna-be cases are. I don't want someone in the White House who has kids at home who desperately need them. I don't want to watch that scenario unfold on national TV. So at some point, it must be okay to speak up. At some point we have to say that we have standards for parenting and we want the community to uphold them.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #3073
Logan
Head Coach

Obviously Palin's family has some unusual stuff going on which will make "being a family" pretty hard.

But I don't see what the difference is between what Palin would be doing and what Obama would be doing. Do you think his two daughters would have a normal life? Get to spend the time with their parents that me, you and millions of others had? Will Barack and Michelle be as intimately involved in their lives while running the country? Of course not.

Sure, these kids don't have any special issues, but they still need their parents. I don't see how anyone could attack Palin for leaving her family and not attack Obama in the same way.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #3074
DanGarion
Coordinator

This is my impression of Sarah Palin. She appears to be a nagging, annoying bitch. My god her speech yesterday was teeth grinding. Wife agrees as well. I'm not really sure who is more annoying. Palin, Sanchez, H. Clinton, Fienstein, or Boxer. GAH.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #3075
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I don't see how anyone could attack Palin for leaving her family and not attack Obama in the same way.

Or the other 43 presidents and their VPs.

If she wasn't a woman this wouldn't even be a talking point. Edwards' wife had cancer (which to me is worse, not to minimize down syndrome but I'd hate to spend the potential last months of my wife's life away from her constantly), and nobody was crying about him being VP.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #3076
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Obama is on O'Reilly. Initial thoughts, he's certainly not rolling over for Bill. O'Reilly is trying to press him to say something they can soundbite.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #3077
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At first I thought he was bloviating. O'Reilly broke the whole thing up into three more episodes. Cute. Nothing crazy and not likely to turn heads on either side.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-04-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #3078
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you and I grew up in the south (that is if you consider the metro-Atlanta area "south" which many wouldn't.) I had always viewed the word "uppity" more along the lines of hmmm.. how Hugh Grant acts in every one of his boring movies.

I guess I would view calling someone "uppity" as an insult and something to be offended at being called.. just never viewed it as racial at all.

What he said.

In fact, I looked at my posting history and I have used it 4 times on this board. It was to describe Falcons fans, Canadians, women, and Steve Francis. I guess I missed the "it's supposed to the racist" memo.

Quote:
uppity negro

Yeah, see- you have to add that second part for it to be racist.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #3079
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Palin's children should take priority over being Vice President » Brazen Careerist by Penelope Trunk

Yeah, she's right. Just like Gore should be taking care of his kids instead of screwing around with alarmist global warming BS. Andy Reid should also stop worrying about cheese steaks and concentrate on his kids as well.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #3080
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Who is Penelope Trunk and why do we care what she has to say?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #3081
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Is there a difference?

Hey! I refuse to have the good people of KC lumped in with those awful Cardinals fans!

SI

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3082
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The Daily Show last night was on top form. First they juxtaposed GOP talking heads from a year ago (attacking Hillary Clinton on being a woman) and defending Palin during the last week (from attacks on her because she's a woman). A typical example was people a year ago saying Clinton was "whining" when she complained about the "boys" ganging up on her in the Democratic debates, and then the same people saying how disgraceful it was that anyone was attacking Palin now, and that they were doing so just because she was a woman.

Also good was comparing Bill O'Reilly's response to Jamie Spears' pregnancy to Bristol Palin's. Pretty much a word-for-word contradiction of himself. I'm sure he's not the only talking head to be doing a 180 this week.

I got the impression Jon Stewart was pretty pissed last night. He was in rare form.

SI

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3083
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What he said.

In fact, I looked at my posting history and I have used it 4 times on this board. It was to describe Falcons fans, Canadians, women, and Steve Francis. I guess I missed the "it's supposed to the racist" memo.

I laughed my ass off at his inclusion.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #3084
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I laughed my ass off at his inclusion.

I was just going by my posting history

SI

Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #3085
Flasch186
Coordinator

Troopergate plods along:

Palin aides peeked into trooper's files, union says - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
From Matt Smith and Scott Bronstein
CNN
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Aides to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin improperly obtained her former brother-in-law's state police personnel files and cited information from those records to raise complaints about the officer, the head of Alaska's state police union said Thursday.
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has put an aide on leave during a probe into the firing of the public safety commissioner.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has put an aide on leave during a probe into the firing of the public safety commissioner.

"It's apparent to us that the governor or someone on her staff had direct access to his personnel file, as well as his workers' comp file, and those are protected," said John Cyr, executive director of the Alaska Public Safety Employees Association.

Palin, now the Republican candidate for vice president, is battling allegations that she sacked her public safety commissioner in July because he refused to fire Trooper Mike Wooten, her sister's ex-husband.

The governor has denied any wrongdoing.

State police union files ethics complaint against Palin

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #3086
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Protesters speak out at the RNC, crowd chants USA back.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #3087
Jas_lov
College Starter

LOL! The puke green background has returned!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #3088
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #3089
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This thing is like watching a pep rally for...I dunno.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #3090
Flasch186
Coordinator

When it comes to Public Speaking, McCain's no Palin

Protestors are getting a lot of attention tonight in the hall. Moreso than I can remember in years past no?

Wow, its as if they strategically placed themselves to wait for one to get caught and then they'd start a new protestor or something.

"She's worked with her hands and nose..." huh? Nose?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-04-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #3091
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

interrupted again.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #3092
Logan
Head Coach

That guy threw that thing down WITH AUTHORITY!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #3093
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I can't look at the damn screen! Did they give ANY thought to how the background would look on TV?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #3094
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

"Change is Coming" - McCain.

This shit is hilarious.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #3095
Jas_lov
College Starter

At least they changed it to blue. I don't know what the hell they were doing in the opening with the puke green turning into a swirling forest green.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #3096
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This reminds me of the old John McCain a little. Tho he seems older and more tired now.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-04-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #3097
Flasch186
Coordinator

did he just rail on union bosses? Isn't Mr. Palin a member of the Oil Workers Union? Im just saying the union workers and community organizers are gonna be pissed

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #3098
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Mccain isn't quite as charismatic as Palin was, that is for sure.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #3099
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I love how all of the hand written signs were done by the same person.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3100
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ooh...tough talk. lol