Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #30601
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
i believe you should have to read a book before you get a library.

Let's be honest - it would have the Gideon Bible he stole out of the White House in his photo op where he gassed protesters and a whole wing about The Art of the Deal.

Or it'll just look like this:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-05-2020 at 01:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #30602
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I don’t want him to run, but forcing his GOP enablers to deal with him in the 2024 primaries would be the punishment they so richly deserve. I mean, now that I think about it, isn’t this the obvious answer to my poll? Whenever it becomes clear that his court challenges aren’t going to work, he just claims fraud, announces his 2024 candidacy against the rigged, corrupt system, and starts doing rallies as early as December. Heck, why wouldn’t he hold a rally at the same time as the inauguration?

Please have cameras on Cotton, Rubio, Hawley, Haley, etc. when he announces that he's not going to stop running. I really want to see the moment they realize what is happening.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #30603
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rubio so desperately wants to be President and is trying to thread the needle of a Trumper and a non-Trumper. I think the problem is Trumpers see through this so stiill don't think he's one of them and he hasn't sufficiently distanced himself from Trump for the general electorate.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #30604
Atocep
Coordinator

The GOP isn't the same party that it was when Rubio was a rising star. He has no shot at a GOP nomination as it stands.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #30605
JediKooter
Coordinator

Yet, they cry, bitch, moan and complain about the 'intolerant left'...

Steve Bannon Says He’d Like to See Dr. Fauci, FBI Director Wray Beheaded

Flomaton Police captain placed on administrative leave, could be fired after “put a bullet in their skull” comment about elections

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #30606
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Rubio so desperately wants to be President and is trying to thread the needle of a Trumper and a non-Trumper. I think the problem is Trumpers see through this so stiill don't think he's one of them and he hasn't sufficiently distanced himself from Trump for the general electorate.

His comment over the weekend saying he loved the Trump caravan surrounding the Biden bus is going to stick with him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #30607
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is sad that I sort of liked Rubio one time. That feels like a lifetime ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #30608
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is sad that I sort of liked Rubio one time. That feels like a lifetime ago.

He was the generic go to name I'd use whenever I'd use the construction: "If it was President Rubio right now instead of Trump, would this be happening?"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-05-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #30609
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I used to at least think he'd be a respectable leader. Same with Pence.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #30610
molson
General Manager

We were wondering where the Republican party would go after this, and I think the closeness of this election answers that question - they'll stick with the Trump way of doing business, whether that be through him directly, or those converted by the example he has set. They're not jumping ship.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #30611
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah I used to at least think he'd be a respectable leader. Same with Pence.

I dunno. I always pictured Pence as the country leader in Civ when you switched to Fundamentalism for government ("Our words are backed by nuclear weapons!" with no science and crazy loyal followers).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-05-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #30612
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We were wondering where the Republican party would go after this, and I think the closeness of this election answers that question - they'll stick with the Trump way of doing business, whether that be through him directly, or those converted by the example he has set. They're not jumping ship.

This, the extremists and maybe a dictator is ok with us, wing of the party will be even louder.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #30613
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
This, the extremists and maybe a dictator is ok with us, wing of the party will be even louder.

There is no voice of reason in the Republican party.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #30614
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Donating to Trump's legal fund for recounts includes fine print that says 50% of each donation goes towards paying off campaign debts. I bet the campaign "owes" the Trump Org a lot of money.

Everything's a con.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #30615
Edward64
Head Coach

Acosta said his WH contacts said Rudi was "enabling" Trump in his current craziness.

From America's mayor to this.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #30616
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Acosta said his WH contacts said Rudi was "enabling" Trump in his current craziness.

From America's mayor to this.

It keeps his Boat scene out of news.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #30617
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ummm, what's going on behind the scenes.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #30618
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Twitter is saying Mark Meadows has covid.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:18 PM   #30619
molson
General Manager

The one thing Trump managed not to do in his 1 term was provoke a foreign nation to war. That's something. I don't even know who he'd randomly nuke on the way out the door.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #30620
Ksyrup

That's because there was nothing in it for him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #30621
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ummm, what's going on behind the scenes.

I think he's just purging anyone who he feels has crossed him.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/06/polit...aid/index.html
Old 11-07-2020, 03:41 AM   #30622
GrantDawg

North Korea? Iran? Most likely Iran. Would he pick a fight to try to justify breaking the constitution and staying in power? I really hope not.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #30623
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
North Korea? Iran? Most likely Iran. Would he pick a fight to try to justify breaking the constitution and staying in power? I really hope not.

Bridge too far IMO. Yes, I can see him starting a war but that won't stop the transition of power.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-07-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #30624
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Even if he tried, I don't think the military would let him. This is one of those aspects that I admit really frustrates me. For Trump's entire term people have been saying he's going to start a nuclear war, esp. during the Bolton nomination but it's just been a constant thing. He didn't, and there's nothing credible that even indicates he tried. He seems to have legitimately been someone who wanted to keep the US out of wars.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #30625
GrantDawg

And I hope that continues. The as ominous thing about the Secretary of Defense sudden departure is the fear of trying to use the military at home.
Of course, there is something else as a possibility. He could be trying to ram home as many defense contacts as he can to his friends. Or even moving defense money into his family pocket. The only thing I know is that it is not for the betterment of America. There has to be a self-serving reason. There always is.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #30626
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I don't know for sure, but I think Romney enjoys sticking it to Trump almost as much as John McCain used to.

Quote:
Romney, now a senator from Utah, said Trump was within his rights to request recounts and call for investigations where evidence of irregularities exists.

But Trump “is wrong to say the election was rigged, corrupt and stolen,″ Romney said on Twitter. Trump’s claim “damages the cause of freedom here and around the world ... and recklessly inflames destructive and dangerous passions."

Romney: Trump’s election fraud claim wrong, ‘reckless’
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #30627
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Bye, Felicia
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #30628
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Even if he tried, I don't think the military would let him. This is one of those aspects that I admit really frustrates me. For Trump's entire term people have been saying he's going to start a nuclear war, esp. during the Bolton nomination but it's just been a constant thing. He didn't, and there's nothing credible that even indicates he tried. He seems to have legitimately been someone who wanted to keep the US out of wars.

Well except when he said the United States government had identified 52 sites for retaliation against Iran if there were a response to Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani’s death. Some, he tweeted, were of “cultural” significance. On the flip side, he does lie a lot so that may not be considered credible.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #30629
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think Romney enjoys sticking it to Trump almost as much as John McCain used to.

Romney: Trump’s election fraud claim wrong, ‘reckless’

One of the few Republican senators with integrity.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 11-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #30630
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
One of the few Republican senators with integrity.

If I recall, Romney compromised his integrity some over the past 4 years. Better than many others but I wouldn't put him up on a pedestal.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-07-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #30631
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If I recall, Romney compromised his integrity some over the past 4 years. Better than many others but I wouldn't put him up on a pedestal.

Yeah, he's still a Republican but he did things to challenge Chump...can't say that for any of the others.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #30632
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
xcept when he said the United States government had identified 52 sites for retaliation against Iran if there were a response to Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani’s death. Some, he tweeted, were of “cultural” significance. On the flip side, he does lie a lot so that may not be considered credible.

I'd be shocked, and think the military in grave dereliction of their duty, if we didn't have a similar list of sites for retaliation against any country we are even slightly concerned about. Contingencies are a must. If he actually attempted to act on those, that is/was/would be a horse of a totally different color.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #30633
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

This is the concession speech from the last incumbent President that lost his bid for re-election. Somehow, I don't think we'll be hearing anything like this from the current President.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #30634
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That would require him to care about doing things like 'upholding the honor of the Presidency of the United States'.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #30635
whomario
Pro Starter

Having looked that up earlier as well i noticed that a 3rd Party candidate got like 19% of the vote that year. Did not know that this was a thing not thaaaat long ago.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-07-2020 at 01:40 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #30636
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Having looked that up earlier as well i noticed that a 3rd Party candidate got like 19% of the vote that year. Did not know that this was a thing not thaaaat long ago.

That was the year of Ross Perot

SI

Old 11-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #30637
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

pretend not even we most commited europeans find the time to cover 90s american politics at the dinner table or in schools
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #30638
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
pretend not even we most commited europeans find the time to cover 90s american politics at the dinner table or in schools

And many of us might have been too young, too. But here's what I remember (with some assist from Wiki)

President Bush (41 not 43) was viewed as mostly unbeatable coming off the popularity of the Gulf War but then his tax policy and a recession really cut into his lead. All the while, many popular Dems didn't run and small state Bill Clinton and his neoliberalism platform won the Democratic primary. So this left an opening for Ross Perot, a Texas businessman who campaigned on running the government like a business. By summer, he was arguably the front runner. He would buy 30 minute chunks on national TV and lay out his plans in graphs and charts - I still think he went a long way to popularizing that style of PowerPoint management in people's minds (remember: this is still mostly pre-computer era). But then the opposition research caught up with him and he was getting drug down into the mud. I also seem to remember rumors about how the parties conspired to bring him down but they never really seemed credible. He dropped out of the race in late summer and that mostly killed the credible part of his candidacy. He re-entered in October, didn't have many good VP options, and still snagged 20% but wasn't really a factor - he peeled off 20ish% of the vote in most states but never enough to win any electoral votes.

I've always wondered what would have happened if he had actually stayed in the race the whole time and had been willing to build a political machine to support his candidacy. But maybe the latter isn't even possible, which goes to our "first past the post" system of government and why there will always, at most, be 2 parties (if a 3rd forms, it will just displace one of the other two and there will be a realignment). It's the only time in my lifetime that there's been a credible 3rd party candidate with any real chance of anything.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-07-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #30639
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

By Monday basically all of the GOP players will have abandoned Trump. Even my Trumper friends are starting to move on to predictions for how the country will end during the Biden presidency.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #30640
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

And the Admiral!

GRIDLOCK!
Old 11-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #30641
GrantDawg

Lockbox!!

Old 11-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #30642
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

While we're at it ...

It's the economy, stupid!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #30643
AlexB
Pro Starter

Exclamation

Quote:

If you’ve ever read On Wings Of Eagles you know who Ross Perot is
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #30644
Thomkal
Head Coach

Matt Goetz has contracted the coronavirus
Old 11-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #30645
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
By Monday basically all of the GOP players will have abandoned Trump. Even my Trumper friends are starting to move on to predictions for how the country will end during the Biden presidency.

Not mine! One who literally said "Don’t worry-when all the voter fraud is uncovered and SCOTUS has the final say, Biden and his criminal enterprise will be locked up." That's from a self-described, "not a nutter".

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #30646
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Not mine! One who literally said "Don’t worry-when all the voter fraud is uncovered and SCOTUS has the final say, Biden and his criminal enterprise will be locked up." That's from a self-described, "not a nutter".

Does he think that gives him more credibility? I thought that guy was a nut, but it says right here that he's not.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #30647
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am giving the governor the benefit of the doubt on the timing of this announcement.

Gov. Gary Herbert declares state of emergency for hospital overcrowding, case surge | coronavirus
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #30648
Ksyrup

I'm going to guess MAGA Country isn't going to give Pfizer the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #30649
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Interesting to see these two posts side-by-side. Team Trump did appear to take it seriously for a short time ("15 days to flatten the curve," was it?) and Cult45 was with him for that short time, but after a few weeks, when Hannity, Ingraham, F&F, et al started calling for the country to re-open, he did likewise. He didn't admit he was wrong; he just said "ok, we've done enough," and acted like it was just time to reopen. I tend to lean toward Brian's point of view here: much of the right would have been furious with him if he hadn't switched gears.

Just seeing this post. Two points:

1. As to the last point, that's called leadership. Sometimes it requires taking unpopular positions. Who cares if they would have been furious with him? I understand he takes his governing cues from Fox News, but we also understand how crazy that is. Early on, he had plenty of time to pivot.

2. He never took it seriously. The 15 days thing was just humoring the nation - it was 15 days because it ended on Easter. The entire "serious" strategy was a Christian-themed "resurrection of the country." If Easter had been 26 days away, he'd have pushed for 26 days. There was no science, no rhyme or reason to it. I can't even imagine the discussions around the strategy built on this narrative that must have been going on. And for each marker thereafter, they did the same thing - this will be gone by Memorial Day, the country will be rocking by July 4th, school will start, FB can come back and everyone can lead normal lives by Labor Day. It was all a con.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #30650
Racer
College Benchwarmer

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/healt...ive/index.html

Dow Jones Futures are now up over 1,100 points regarding this news.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote