Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #3001
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How many times has the hitter in question bunted this year?

damn hard stat to find, I know the kid has some speed though, but I'm looking it up.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #3002
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
New unwritten rule regarding no hitters:

In the 9th inning of a no hitter the defense must allow any ball hit into foul territory to land without making a play on it to prevent a cheap out from being made.

If the team being no hit has to "earn" their hits then the team in the field should have to "earn" their outs.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #3003
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ahh its too much work to find, but hes had at least a few
Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #3004
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

6 infield hits, 1 via bunt in 99 PAs
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #3005
RedKingGold
College Starter

Wow, one of the more improbable Phillies victories in awhile. Down four runs in the bottom of the ninth, Stairs hits a homer to bring it to 7-4, then Rollins and Utley get on base for Howard to hit a game-tying bomb to center-field. Ibanez hits a double on the very next pitch, intentional walk to Werth, and base-hits by Feliz and the game winning hit by Bako. Great win (glad I didn't stop watching).

Florida down 5-1 too. If we can win tomorrow, and Arizona can hang on tonight and win tomorrow, the Phils will have a five-game lead heading into the All-Star break.

Not bad considering a little over a week ago we had lost 13-of-18 and had three teams less than two games behind us.

Wow.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #3006
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Matt Craps is pretty good about throwing BP fastballs on non save situations.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #3007
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Wow, one of the more improbable Phillies victories in awhile. Down four runs in the bottom of the ninth, Stairs hits a homer to bring it to 7-4, then Rollins and Utley get on base for Howard to hit a game-tying bomb to center-field. Ibanez hits a double on the very next pitch, intentional walk to Werth, and base-hits by Feliz and the game winning hit by Bako. Great win (glad I didn't stop watching).

Florida down 5-1 too. If we can win tomorrow, and Arizona can hang on tonight and win tomorrow, the Phils will have a five-game lead heading into the All-Star break.

Not bad considering a little over a week ago we had lost 13-of-18 and had three teams less than two games behind us.

Wow.

I had put the game on mute, as I was disgusted mainly with the terrible pitching by the Phillies tonight.

I stepped outside for the bottom of the ninth, and saw that Stairs hit a solo homer to make it 7-4. Then saw that Howard had a chance, and low and behold, Howard crushed one.

I came inside all giddy(in disbelief mostly), then estatic when the unlikely hero, Paul Bako?!? wins it with a single.

I always watch the Phillies 'til the end whenever they are losing, cause I never know when they'll pull out an amazing rally in the ninth inning.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #3008
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

dola,

Hamels was awful early, but settled down some later.
3 homers early didn't help though.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #3009
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just saw the Phils-Pirates highlights on MLB Tonight on MLBN. Very nice

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #3010
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dear Pirates,

Fuck You.

Sincerely,
Larry

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #3011
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice win for the O's tonight, too

(do we have any O's fans here?)

SI

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #3012
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dear Georgia.

Fuck you for producing Matt Capps.

He's like Todd Jones without a pron stache.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #3013
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I follow the O's and the Nats...not as closely as I do my Red Sox, but I do try to support and know what's going on for my hometown teams (and as long as they're not playing Boston, they're who I cheer for).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #3014
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

SI

They are the team I pull for in the American League.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #3015
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awesome. Can't say enough about this Angels team. They have had injury and death attack them through out this year. They missed three-fifths of their rotation through two months, and now they're missing perhaps their three best hitters. Their bullpen has been a shadow of what it was in the past.

Despite all that, they sweep the Yankees and are certain to finish the first half in first place in the AL West.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #3016
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Another choke job by the Braves.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #3017
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Awesome. Can't say enough about this Angels team. They have had injury and death attack them through out this year. They missed three-fifths of their rotation through two months, and now they're missing perhaps their three best hitters. Their bullpen has been a shadow of what it was in the past.

Despite all that, they sweep the Yankees and are certain to finish the first half in first place in the AL West.

thanks Angels!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #3018
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
thanks Angels!!

Heh...obviously, helping you guys isn't high on the Angels' to-do list. That said, you're welcome!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #3019
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

heheeh
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #3020
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Just got back from the Phillies game. Had an absolute blast.

Anyone watching the futures game?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #3021
samifan24
Pro Starter

Exciting finish to the Futures Game. Too bad it was shortened to 7 innings though.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #3022
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Sean Marshall just played Left Field for a batter in the cubs game. it was awesome.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #3023
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Jim Riggleman gets to play the Dick Motta role this year, huh? Find the guy who has tons of experience managing crappy teams and give him the crappy team who just fired their manager. Enjoy!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #3024
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, that was a banner weekend

1) The GM made a really stupid ass trade that makes everyone question if he even knows what he's doing. You don't take on someone else's payroll problem *and* give them prospects for doing it. As has increasingly become the cliche this weekend, we needed a SS before the trade and we still have a need for a SS after the trade.

2) Meche is now officially hurt, tho he's actually been hurt ever since being thrown 115 and 132 back to back.

3) Greinke's great season gets bypassed for Halladay to start the All Star Game. Yes, Halladay would be deserving in any other season but Greinke has been better this season. By no measure is Halladay better except less losses and a couple more BB in over 100 IP.

Halladay: 10-3 2.85ERA 123.0IP 106K 17BB 1.10WHIP 2.86FIP 4.2 WAR 39.0VORP
Greinke: 10-5 2.12ERA 127.1IP 129K 21BB 1.08WHIP 1.97FIP 5.8 WAR 45.5VORP

4) Our GM was on the radio this morning, repeatedly talking about his payroll constraints for the first time. It's a problem- we get it and we've heard it. But you can't come to us, as a fanbase, and expect that to wash as an excuse right now when you just added payroll.

SI

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #3025
samifan24
Pro Starter

I can't believe the Royals traded prospects and took on Betancourt's salary. He's terrible but I didn't realize how terrible until I read Poshanski column about him.

FWIW Joe Maddon said he gave Holladay the AL starting nod because of his "body of work," which I guess is Maddon's way of saying Halladay's been a top flight starter longer than Greinke. I wished Greinke would get the start, especially because Halladay is likely to switch leagues very soon after the game.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #3026
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I can't believe the Royals traded prospects and took on Betancourt's salary. He's terrible but I didn't realize how terrible until I read Poshanski column about him.

Between Posnanski referencing Neifi and Rany referencing Berroa, it's just been a traumatizing trade and weekend for Royals fans.

SI

Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #3027
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My friend calls me and says, "I have HR derby tickets".. I say.. nice! ..expecting a free ticket.

He tells me you can go, the cost is $205. Damn you!

Think I'll stay home and watch it on TV..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #3028
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Well, I don't think firing Acta really makes a difference at this point in the season, particularly if you're pulling in someone already in the clubhouse. But, we'll see. With the record the Nats have, what does it really matter?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #3029
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Well, I don't think firing Acta really makes a difference at this point in the season, particularly if you're pulling in someone already in the clubhouse. But, we'll see. With the record the Nats have, what does it really matter?

I think it's pretty stupid to fire Acta now. What does it accomplish?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3030
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think it's pretty stupid to fire Acta now. What does it accomplish?

Appeasing the critics is it. But it does nothing, IMO. Even if they have a 50% better record, does that really mean it's because Acta is gone? I doubt it. I think the manager DOES play a role, but to fire a manager who was out at the end of the year (his contract was up) and replace him with his bench coach, that just seems silly.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #3031
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Appeasing the critics is it. But it does nothing, IMO. Even if they have a 50% better record, does that really mean it's because Acta is gone? I doubt it. I think the manager DOES play a role, but to fire a manager who was out at the end of the year (his contract was up) and replace him with his bench coach, that just seems silly.

I guess it gives the impression that something is being done to turn the franchise around when, in my opinion, nothing is actually being done. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports pointed out in a column today that until Rizzo and Kasten are given more power the franchise will continue to drift aimlessly. Washington has many long term deep rooted problems that stem from the front office, problems which could never be corrected by firing the on-field manager.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #3032
Schmidty
Coordinator

Curtis Granderson is probably my favorite MLB player, but why in the heck is he in the All-Star game? Inge should have been in before him.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #3033
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Curtis Granderson is probably my favorite MLB player, but why in the heck is he in the All-Star game? Inge should have been in before him.

You're gonna be real excited when you watch the HR derby tonight.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #3034
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You're gonna be real excited when you watch the HR derby tonight.

Yeah, Inge is more out of his element in the derby than Damien Easly was in it back in the early 2000's. I mean he has power, but not like Prince and Puljos, etc.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #3035
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess it gives the impression that something is being done to turn the franchise around when, in my opinion, nothing is actually being done. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports pointed out in a column today that until Rizzo and Kasten are given more power the franchise will continue to drift aimlessly. Washington has many long term deep rooted problems that stem from the front office, problems which could never be corrected by firing the on-field manager.

Rosenthal kinda bugs me. But, anyway...

Having said that, is that all the Lerners fault? I'm not saying they're not a problem, but can those deep rooted problems be cured in 2.5 years?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3036
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL..........As much as Zack has struggled personally with media and fan attention, he can be a quote machine at times..........

Quote:
This is before the All-Star Game, underneath the Busch Stadium stands and away from public attention. Barack Obama walks into the visitors’ clubhouse to shake hands with all the players, and everyone’s got a thought about the free world’s leading White Sox fan.

Curtis Granderson wants to talk about their Chicago connection. Ichiro Suzuki asks for an autograph on a baseball.

And the Royals’ ace pitcher is hoping to get cussed by the President.

“Because none of the White Sox guys like me,” Greinke says. “So I was hoping that he’d (Obama) recognize me, and be like, ‘You punk, I hate you.’ But he didn’t do that.”

And regarding being lifted for a pinch hitter, the eventual MVP:

“I was like, ‘Crawford? Are you serious?’ ” Greinke says. “But he got a base hit, so it’s acceptable. And he robbed a homer, so I guess that worked out all right. It could’ve been me. That pitch was probably right down the middle. I would’ve crushed it.”
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #3037
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I would have crushed it, LOL!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #3038
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I would have crushed it, LOL!!

He's only had 18 plate appearances in the major leagues, but he does have two doubles and a homerun in those appearances. He's by far our best hitting pitcher during intraleague games. He's got a pretty good swing.

But yeah, the dripping sarcasm is a regular feature of Zack interviews. I've never missed a post-game show after a Greinke start for that reason. I watched one post-game interview where Olivo was standing next to Greinke after a win and the interviewer ask Zack how important Olivo was to keeping the opposition to 3 hits. Zack proceeded to say that Olivo was personally responsible for two of the three hits based on the pitches that Olivo called. He said he was only personally responsible for one of the hits.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #3039
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That SI article about Greinke talked about when he started having his issues a few years back, he seriously considered (not that the team agreed) dropping pitching and becoming a hitter, to the point where he was sometimes preoccupied by it. Sounds like he's still pretty enthusiastic about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3040
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That SI article about Greinke talked about when he started having his issues a few years back, he seriously considered (not that the team agreed) dropping pitching and becoming a hitter, to the point where he was sometimes preoccupied by it. Sounds like he's still pretty enthusiastic about it.

He still takes batting practice quite a bit even outside of intraleague play. He was a helluva hitter in high school. Honestly, he'd be a great NL pitcher for that reason. He'd fill the 9 hole very well.

You definitely know when Greinke steps into the batting cage. The early arrivers love it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #3041
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He still takes batting practice quite a bit even outside of intraleague play. He was a helluva hitter in high school. Honestly, he'd be a great NL pitcher for that reason. He'd fill the 9 hole very well.

You definitely know when Greinke steps into the batting cage. The early arrivers love it.

Ok, is this intentional? You did it twice now.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #3042
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

Born and raised baby. I'm displaced out here in Giants land, and I've been following them for a few years. I've become attached, but I'm still an Oriole fan to the bone.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #3043
molson
General Manager

Pedro Martinez is a Philly. Or is it Phillie?

Phillies sign 3-time Cy Young winner Martinez - Boston.com

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #3044
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I think one of the articles posted here earlier in the year had the story about Zack showing Alex Gordon a video of his home run and saying "do that" or something to that effect.

SI

Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #3045
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Born and raised baby. I'm displaced out here in Giants land, and I've been following them for a few years. I've become attached, but I'm still an Oriole fan to the bone.

Seems like a pretty cool fan base from what I've seen. Camden has become my new favorite place to see a game (at least in the non-Wrigley/Fenway category) after going a couple of months ago. I still haven't seen one at Fenway but Wrigley is its own beast and I imagine Fenway is the same.

I'll be visiting Baltimore again here in about a week and a half

SI

Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #3046
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
LOL..........As much as Zack has struggled personally with media and fan attention, he can be a quote machine at times..........

I really like Greinke as a player but he can be a little strange.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #3047
MikeVic
Head Coach

So does the NL suck or what? This is a long All Star Game dry spell.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #3048
Atocep
Coordinator

Some comments by Kevin Goldstein about Bryce Harper that caught my eye.

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein: I imagine he'll be pretty damn good. Here's the thing, he's WAY overrated. He's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's probably the best player in next year's draft, but he's not a historic talent. The hype machine is just way out of control.

I've talked to a lot of scouts, scouting directors and front office people who have seen Harper. His power is absolutely friggin' unreal, no doubt about it, but there are questions about his barrel control, the length of his swing, and his ability to be anything more than a 1B down the road. Again, top player in the draft next year, but not a once-a-generation type.

If he's limited to 1B then his value goes waaaaaaaaaaay down.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #3049
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Saw this on Red Reporter and wanted to make sure the Cincy contingent knew:

Quote:
Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips are going to make sandwiches at Subway on Saturday from noon to 1. The Subway they will be gracing is at 6491 Bridgetown Road
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #3050
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

At least Olli hasn't walked anyone yet
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote