Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #3001
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

So I made the mistake of watching Fox News this morning and I think those guys don't like Obama. Some of the stories they discussed came off as being a bit prudish especially the one about the donuts.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #3002
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Her kids graduated college and would no longer be covered under her health insurance plans. With no one hiring, a lot of kids graduating college are going uncovered.

Kansans also wanted to teach our kids that the Earth is 6,000 years old. We aren't talking about the brightest bulbs in the box.

No one is hiring? I'll grant you that you may have to take a job for a few thousand less than what you're looking for or may have to move to a different market to land a job, but there's still jobs available. I'm currently employed and have got 3 offers from other companies over the past month. I have two relatives graduate from college this year and they both had jobs long before they had left school.

You'll never get an argument from a Mizzou fan as to the relative stupidity of Kansans. But let's not pretend she was the only beacon of light in a box of burnt-out bulbs.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #3003
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Oh, by the way, does anyone want to agree with Earl Ofari Hutchinson's belief that this spoof of Obama is somehow "dangerous"?

Naw, I remember how outraged the left was when this picture was used in an article last year in Vanity Fair.........

George W. Bush: Comic-Book Villain?: Vanity Fair | Vanity Fair

What's that you say? They weren't outraged?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #3004
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm a huge fan of Andrew Sullivan, but he's tossing out some major hypocrisy in this post.........

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Quote:
Note that in this video, posters of the congressman literally with devil's horns are waved about. Chris Good has more. This is the debate the GOP wants us to have and the tone they wish to have it in.

Tell you what, Andrew. You stop pretending that only the right-wing idiots put horns on the pictures of politicians and then we'll have an honest conversation.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #3005
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

WAIT ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE DISCUSSING POLITICS ARE HYPOCRITICAL
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #3006
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
WAIT ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE DISCUSSING POLITICS ARE HYPOCRITICAL

On occasion, yes.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #3007
Flasch186
Coordinator

So Andy Sullivan is the godsend when it comes to Iran and his spin that you regurge all the time but now that it doesnt jibe with your opinion on a different topic it is BS? 2 posts above that you go anecdotal to sort out something that is a national average?

your spin-ness skills are vast, hypocrisy is long, and your blinders are tight. Good for you.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-05-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #3008
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This recess is quickly becoming a disaster for Democrats.

If I was better at using the search function I think it would be interesting to find out how many posts of yours follow this format:

"This {noun} is quickly becoming a {negative adjective} for {Democrats/The Democratic Party/Obama}."

I wouldn't mind except that you continue to paint yourself as a neutral third party. Give up the fiction and we'll all respect you a lot more.

Quote:
1. She makes $250,000 between her and her husband and they're worried about covering their kids? What a terrible situation that's indicative of the general public and their insurance plight. We can only hope and pray that her sons are covered under the new bill.

If the kid goes uncovered for a few months and has the bad luck to develop, say, a random serious heart condition (the treatment of which will now never be covered by insurance because it's a pre-existing condition) that requires incredibly expensive surgery and rehab, who's going to pay the bill? The bankruptcy courts are littered with cases like these. This is basic stuff here - on how health insurance works in the U.S. today.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #3009
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I wouldn't mind except that you continue to paint yourself as a neutral third party. Give up the fiction and we'll all respect you a lot more.

I've never painted myself as neutral in any way. I'm probably best described as party-confused. On social issues, I'm pretty liberal. On economic issues, I'm as conservative as they come.

Everyone paints my opinions with a broad Republican brush, mainly because I disagree with nearly all of Obama's economic policies and, let's face it, the negative comments are often what stirs the pot. I only get responses to the comments where the majority of the people disagree (which on this board in this thread usually involves non-liberal support). My posts supporting the legalization of marijuana, pro-choice, and stem cell research amongst other issues supported by President Obama barely got noticed. Why? Because the thread generally leans liberal. No one blinks when it's something they support. But when I blast the incompetence of this administration on multiple economic topics, the broad brush filled with Republican paint is whipped out in an instant.

I don't expect any sympathy for my openness to both sides of the fence and the obstacles it provides when you are supposed to be on one side of the fence or the other in a thread such as this one, but let's not pretend in any way that I'm an economic AND social right-winger. That's simply false.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #3010
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If the kid goes uncovered for a few months and has the bad luck to develop, say, a random serious heart condition (the treatment of which will now never be covered by insurance because it's a pre-existing condition) that requires incredibly expensive surgery and rehab, who's going to pay the bill? The bankruptcy courts are littered with cases like these. This is basic stuff here - on how health insurance works in the U.S. today.

Or Mom could cut a check for $500-600 to cover them for 4-5 months until they have a job if they're so worried about it.

I don't doubt that there are bad circumstances in other familes, but the Sebelius kids will NOT go without insurance in the scenario she provides. She has the ability to cover them for a couple of months and will do so. It was an extremely poor example to choose to illustrate her point.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #3011
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's an excellent example that resonates very well with many middle-class families unable to afford the $500/$600 a month until the kid gets a job.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #3012
Flasch186
Coordinator

Im having a bad day so Im going to avoid this thread today, or at least posting in it so that my vitriol doesnt get the best of me.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #3013
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It's an excellent example that resonates very well with many middle-class families unable to afford the $500/$600 a month until the kid gets a job.

If you're paying $500-600 a month for a college-age kid, you need to shop for a new plan. My $500-600 number was for 4 months. Shouldn't take much more than that.

I don't have a problem with her making a statement similar to yours, regardless of whether it's indicative of the general public or not. I have a big problem with her attempting to portray her family in some sort of health crisis. Her kids won't go a day uncovered.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-05-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #3014
Flasch186
Coordinator

I guess other than my own racial sensitivities I dont have a problem with the picture of the Joker on Obama or Bush for that matter. The word underneath is a simple scare mongering tactic we've seen used time and again (luckily in failure). Perhaps my own sensitivities towards race are getting in the way of a strictly political judgment or opinion.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #3015
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Who had 37 minutes in the pool?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #3016
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you're paying $500-600 a month for a college-age kid, you need to shop for a new plan. My $500-600 number was for 4 months. Shouldn't take much more than that.

I don't have a problem with her making a statement similar to yours, regardless of whether it's indicative of the general public or not. I have a big problem with her attempting to portray her family in some sort of health crisis. Her kids won't go a day uncovered.

Bullpuckey.

Back when I was unemployed (2003-04 area, I would say), I was paying $350 a month in Cobra as it was.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #3017
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Who had 37 minutes in the pool?

Oh, sorry, it wasnt directed at anyone but myself so I felt alright about it, considering it took me a day or two to figure out where I stood on the picture posted that initially sent shudders up my spine due to my own racial sensitivities but I dont think that that is the intent of the pic. I hope anyways.

Regardless, I am unsuccessful.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-05-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #3018
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Where in the heck do you shop for health insurance? $500 is a monthly rate- actually more like 2; it won't get you 4 months anywhere

EDIT: We're also not talking what you pay out of pocket for your job since your employer is also paying a significant portion and we're talking about people who don't get insurance from their job or don't have a job (the example of a kid right out of college)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-05-2009 at 10:02 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #3019
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Where in the heck do you shop for health insurance? $500 is a monthly rate- actually more like 2; it won't get you 4 months anywhere

EDIT: We're also not talking what you pay out of pocket for your job since your employer is also paying a significant portion and we're talking about people who don't get insurance from their job or don't have a job (the example of a kid right out of college)

SI

Alright, we'll assume your number and say 4 months of insurance at $1,000.

1. Sebelius will STILL be able to afford that with relative ease given her income and her husband's income.

2. If anything, it's an excellent incentive for that kid to give them a deadline of 3-4 months to get a job. It's really not that difficult to do so if you're a college educated person, even in today's economy. You may not get your ideal job, but you'll get something with health coverage and some sort of salary. I don't think that's too much to ask of a kid in similar circumstances. And once again, it's the dumbest example I've seen of why this bill is important.

Sebelius: Just look at the poor college graduate from a home with an income of $200K+. Where will he find health insurance??????????????

Use a homeless guy with a broken leg who can't get treatment or an elderly person who can't afford his meds. It's a much better illustration if you're trying to play the sympathy angle as she did. Some kids never have insurance and we're supposed to be concerned about the plight of a man who is graduating from college with opportunities galore who had nothing but time to apply for jobs knowing that he'd need one in May?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-05-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #3020
Flasch186
Coordinator

Poll indicates generational split over health care - CNN.com

Looks like the young are for 'Obama's Health care plan' while the 'older' generation are against, and polling is about 50/50. While 7 out of 10 say 'something needs to be done 8 out of 10 say theyre happy with their insurance (obviously that last point is a bit skewed since this is really a discussion about haves and have nots but it is what it is).

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-05-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #3021
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Factory orders unexpectedly increase in June - Boston.com

Looks like things are actually working, again, the jobs # needs to improve, but this is a good sign, that things are going better then expected
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #3022
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Factory orders unexpectedly increase in June - Boston.com

Looks like things are actually working, again, the jobs # needs to improve, but this is a good sign, that things are going better then expected

Quote:
Ford Motor Co. said this week that its sales rose 2.4 percent in July from the same month last year, its first year-over-year increase since November 2007. Chrysler Group LLC posted a smaller year-over-year sales drop compared with recent months, helped by "clunkers" deals. GM's sales fell 19.4 percent, a slower pace than earlier this year.

Good to see GM thriving under new management.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #3023
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good to see GM thriving under new management.

Did you expect something different?

(not saying you did, just askin')
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #3024
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Did you expect something different?

(not saying you did, just askin')

I expect my GM ownership dividend checks to be flowing into the mailbox any time now.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #3025
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Considering GM has closed two brands and sold off two others in the past 12 months, is a drop comparing July '08 to July '09 that unexpected?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #3026
Flasch186
Coordinator

Faux unexpected

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #3027
King of New York
High School Varsity

Having an employer-based insurance system in a capitalist economy is madness. One of the strengths of a capitalist economy, at least as regards productivity, is that it encourages entrepreneurs to take risks and experiment with new and potentially better ways of doing things. It tries to create a workforce that is as mobile and flexible as possible, so that new industries and companies can emerge quickly.

Employer-based health insurance, though, works against entrepreneurialism and mobility. No small, start-up company owner is going to be able to get as good a deal on health insurance as a large corporation, and if you leave your employer's health plan and then find out that you have a pre-existing condition as you try to join a new one, you're screwed.

The employer-based health system hinders labor mobility and discourages economic innovation. (Not to mention the fact that companies, I think, now regard their health-insurance obligations the same that they regarded their pension plans--as something to be gotten rid of asap so that they can be more competitive globally.)

I'm not sure whether single-payer or individual health accounts is the way to go, but I feel pretty confident that either would be better than what we have now: the single-payer system because it would enable the government to dictate costs to medical providers, and individual health accounts because it would cut down on the glut of unnecessary tests and procedures.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #3028
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My dream scenario:
People start exercising, eating right, and taking care of themselves. Then premiums are based on these decisions. We have an auto insurance and life insurance industry that is based on good decision making why not on health insurance? (And before I get shelled. I drink, don't eat great and would not expect to pay the same premium as the person who really takes care of themselves. But I also would expect to pay less than the 400 pound woman who can't understand how she got diabetes and why she is so sick all of the time)

Since that is probably not plausible:
Individual health savings accounts with catastrophe coverage. This is what I have right now. (And I am a teacher so I guess this would technically be government coverage) I get $2000 a year to either spend on health costs or save for future health spending. I am responsible for the first $3000 in any year and then a percentage up to a certain point. (I think my max loss in one year is $5000) The result is that I get estimates on tests and make decisions like it is my money. A lady I work with used to go to the doctor and take her kids all the time and then she switched to this and started researching on the internet and thinking before calling him up. Wouldn't this be the best way to save the system? People are cheap when it is their own money and don't give two shits when it is someone else’s. See: Cash for clunkers.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #3029
Calis
College Starter

I have nothing much to add but to say I'm one of the 'idiot' Kansans and I also supported Sebelius. She was far from great but when I look at Sam Brownback running for Governor next election I'd love to have her back.

Although the insanity of Kansans really was brought down a few notches after I spent 4 years living in Utah. I don't feel so bad about us now.

Carry on.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #3030
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I have nothing much to add but to say I'm one of the 'idiot' Kansans and I also supported Sebelius. She was far from great but when I look at Sam Brownback running for Governor next election I'd love to have her back.

Although the insanity of Kansans really was brought down a few notches after I spent 4 years living in Utah. I don't feel so bad about us now.

Carry on.

Just to clarify, I never called any Kansans 'idiots'. I said they were stupid.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3031
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Just to clarify, I never called any Kansans 'idiots'. I said they were stupid.

Well no need to specify Kansans either way, you just mean Conservatives.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #3032
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well no need to specify Kansans either way, you just mean beaker/mildcats.

Fixed.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #3033
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
So I made the mistake of watching Fox News this morning and I think those guys don't like Obama. Some of the stories they discussed came off as being a bit prudish especially the one about the donuts.

If you are looking for news that supports your point of view, I'd suggest CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, PBS, Comedy Central, and MTV.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #3034
Flasch186
Coordinator

CNN = unwatchable. I dont care what ZeroFab123 has to say via twitter.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #3035
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If you are looking for news that supports your point of view, I'd suggest CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, PBS, Comedy Central, and MTV.

What, no ESPN?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #3036
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
2. If anything, it's an excellent incentive for that kid to give them a deadline of 3-4 months to get a job. It's really not that difficult to do so if you're a college educated person, even in today's economy. You may not get your ideal job, but you'll get something with health coverage and some sort of salary.

Oh, how I wish this were true
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #3037
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or Mom could cut a check for $500-600 to cover them for 4-5 months until they have a job if they're so worried about it.

I don't doubt that there are bad circumstances in other familes, but the Sebelius kids will NOT go without insurance in the scenario she provides. She has the ability to cover them for a couple of months and will do so. It was an extremely poor example to choose to illustrate her point.

First of all, you are correct on prices. A young, healthy college aged male should be able to get a decent health insurance plan for under $150/month. A female though looks at over $300 and possibly more if they are married.

Two big problems with it though. Those are the rates if the person is 100% healthy. If they have diabetes, it won't be covered (or they'll be rejected). Same can be said for any other health issue they have. So your statement should say that Mom could cut a check for them if they didn't lose the genetic lottery and have some uninsurable issue.

The other problem is that individual health insurance is different than group. Besides the pre-existing conditions issue listed above, an individual plan renews every year. The provider is allowed to cancel your plan for any reason they see fit to. If you happen to come down with cancer 9 months into the year, you can say goodbye to your insurance in 3 months. There are much stricter laws on group plans (also why they are more expensive) and it's one of the reasons why individual plans are a really shitty option if you are looking for security.

I'm sure Sebelius could probably afford her kids health insurance IF they are healthy and remain healthy. But it's an issue that a lot of middle class families face and that is what she was pointing out. While in your world, jobs are everywhere, most other people are having trouble. Unemployment is nearing 10% and rising. Most major companies that do offer benefits have freezes on hiring. Many jobs that are available don't offer benefits at all. If they are lucky to get a job with benefits, those don't usually kick in for 3-6 months. If it takes a few months to get hired, you could be looking at almost a year without health insurance. Many young graduates are also taking unpaid internships instead of flipping burgers so that they'll have some experience when the economy gets back on track.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #3038
miked
College Starter

Heh, my mom was let go from her job a year ago. She is in good health, but 62 years old and on some thyroid meds. The quotes she was getting were in the 500-900 range per month, and that was with fairly large deductibles and small maximums. She collects unemployment of about $250/week and has mortgage + condo fees of around $800-900. She doesn't qualify for Medicare and doesn't have the money for a shitty plan. Plus, she supports my sister who is taking classes at college and borderline disability.

I'd love more options. It's quite obvious that the poor lady from Kansas can afford to cover her children. It's also quite obvious that many people out there who don't qualify for programs CAN'T afford to cover themselves and/or kids. I'm sure Lynch will defend the insurance companies, and he's right, they are businesses and not charities. They can't afford to insure people they might actually have to pay claims on, but where can these people turn?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #3039
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Heh, my mom was let go from her job a year ago. She is in good health, but 62 years old and on some thyroid meds. The quotes she was getting were in the 500-900 range per month, and that was with fairly large deductibles and small maximums. She collects unemployment of about $250/week and has mortgage + condo fees of around $800-900. She doesn't qualify for Medicare and doesn't have the money for a shitty plan. Plus, she supports my sister who is taking classes at college and borderline disability.

I'd love more options. It's quite obvious that the poor lady from Kansas can afford to cover her children. It's also quite obvious that many people out there who don't qualify for programs CAN'T afford to cover themselves and/or kids. I'm sure Lynch will defend the insurance companies, and he's right, they are businesses and not charities. They can't afford to insure people they might actually have to pay claims on, but where can these people turn?

See, that's the thing. I doubt you'll find many people that disagree with you that something should be available in this instance. But as a politician, you can't just point at a person in need as a reason why legislation has to be signed, regardless of whether the bill addresses the specific needs in the system. Someone has to pay for that coverage. Everyone agrees that it's needed, but no one wants to pay for it when push comes to shove.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #3040
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More information that confirms previous reports that stimulus money hasn't necessarily been targeted to the places that needed it most as the President indicated when it was passed. This is what happens when you rush a bill through Congress.

ProPublica: Stimulus Spending Fails to Follow Unemployment, Poverty

Obama has now dropped to a 50% approval rating.

Terms of Service

The democrats continue to make a big miscalculation attempting to demonize these protests. It's never a good idea to criticize the actions of engaged voters whether you disagree with them or not.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Pelosi: Town Hall Protesters Are "Carrying Swastikas"

So organization of protests and being 'well-dressed' at said protests is now a bad thing? Well done, Mrs. Boxer.

YouTube - Barbara Boxer Objects To Health Care Protesters' "Attire"

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #3041
Flasch186
Coordinator

More information that confirms.....blah blah blah

Morgan Stanley paid back their Tarp money + 20% interest to you.

I'd say at least in regards to those that have paid the monies back PLUS interest MBBF would have to say, "I was wrong." He wont of course and the entire post above is just a huge regurge and spin. Well done MBBF, you never let us down with your vomit.

This page in itself is not only filled with innaccuracies that are debunked where MBBF comes around by saying, "Lets assume..." then he flops around thrashing about that the entire country is up in arms over this or that, and then says that everyone knows change is needed and then finished it off with the best part yet which is that everyone needs coverage they just dont want to pay for it. Put that on top of his assumption that jobs are just being handed out all over the place, oh yeah, jobs that are pay cuts but jobs nonetheless, you should have no problem tacking on that unassumed premium that he got from fiction land in his first anecdotal example that was debunked later.

MBBF = Dreidel

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-06-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #3042
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well no need to specify Kansans either way, you just mean Conservatives.

I think Mizzou B-Ball Fan must now host a beer summit at his house for FOFC members to discuss this issue.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #3043
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I think Mizzou B-Ball Fan must now host a beer summit at his house for FOFC members to discuss this issue.

Duly noted.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #3044
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
First of all, you are correct on prices. A young, healthy college aged male should be able to get a decent health insurance plan for under $150/month. A female though looks at over $300 and possibly more if they are married.

I'm sure Sebelius could probably afford her kids health insurance IF they are healthy and remain healthy. But it's an issue that a lot of middle class families face and that is what she was pointing out.

It should be noted in regards to your first point that emergency coverage is an excellent option for younger people in between jobs or school and a job. It covers the worst-case scenarios at a much cheaper price than full coverage, which often isn't needed at that age.

I agree with your second point that it's an issue that some families face. My point doesn't disagree with that. My only point was that she should have cited the plight of those families, not her kids who don't have any of those needs. It was a very poor selection as far as examples go.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #3045
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Ill bring the Hebrew National Hot Dogs.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #3046
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
It should be noted in regards to your first point that emergency coverage is an excellent option for younger people in between jobs or school and a job. It covers the worst-case scenarios at a much cheaper price than full coverage, which often isn't needed at that age.

I agree with your second point that it's an issue that some families face. My point doesn't disagree with that. My only point was that she should have cited the plight of those families, not her kids who don't have any of those needs. It was a very poor selection as far as examples go.

However youre discounting the plight due to her specific citing. The situation remains the same and is horrible for millions and millions of Americans and her not fitting into your box doesnt change that or minimize it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #3047
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Obama has now dropped to a 50% approval rating.

Full Disclosure

Quote:
The democrats continue to make a big miscalculation attempting to demonize these protests.

Besides, the teabaggers are doing enough to demonize themselves. When will their actions bring about a Cindy Sheehan-level of opprobrium, one wonders?

Quote:
So organization of protests and being 'well-dressed' at said protests is now a bad thing?

Yes, according to these same people and their enablers at Fox News, at least if you're protesting the Iraq War, warrantless wiretapping or torture.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #3048
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It should be noted that poll showed a higher approval rating a week or two ago similar to the ones cited on that website. We'll have to wait for updated polls on those other ones to see if a similar drop occurs. The decline of his approval rating has been steady of late, so it's certainly no surprise that it's going down again this week. More interesting is the numbers on his handling of the economy and the health issue. They're not good at all and they continue to go the wrong way. Anyone who pretends otherwise is fooling themselves at this point.

Quote:
Besides, the teabaggers are doing enough to demonize themselves. When will their actions bring about a Cindy Sheehan-level of opprobrium, one wonders?

Yes, according to these same people and their enablers at Fox News, at least if you're protesting the Iraq War, warrantless wiretapping or torture.

While not fully agreeing with your characterization of all the protesters as 'teabaggers' (you're better than that.....don't get lazy), I agree that they are generally not behaving well and are doing themselves a disservice if you look solely at their actions. With that said, the Democrats are making a big misstep with some of their comments and reactions. Let the people at the protests stand on their own merit. If you start attacking them, it's not going to end well as you correctly cited with similar reactions during the Bush Administration. It lends legitimacy to what may not be all that legitimate. They should follow Obama's lead concerning the birth certificate situation. Let the blowhards keep blowing.

The reason they're reacting is because polling numbers are moving the wrong way on this issue and it appears the public is turning against this bill. It's all the more reason why the Republicans politically speaking should toss any bipartisan agreement to the curb and let the Democrats pass whatever bill they want to do. Democrats believe they know what the public wants. Let them give it a try with a vote along partisan lines.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #3049
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
It should be noted that poll showed a higher approval rating a week or two ago similar to the ones cited on that website. We'll have to wait for updated polls on those other ones to see if a similar drop occurs. The decline of his approval rating has been steady of late, so it's certainly no surprise that it's going down again this week. More interesting is the numbers on his handling of the economy and the health issue. They're not good at all and they continue to go the wrong way. Anyone who pretends otherwise is fooling themselves at this point.

Quite so. Thus the difference between the statement "Obama's approval rating is now below 50%" and "We now have a poll with Obama's approval rating below 50%".

You'll also note that Gallup showed an uptick in Obama's approval rating last week.

A full aggregation of the polls shows Obama's support dropping from mid-60s to mid-50s over the course of February to July. While that's certainly a trend, it's not Armageddon.

Quote:
While not fully agreeing with your characterization of all the protesters as 'teabaggers' (you're better than that.....don't get lazy),

I wasn't being lazy, I was being intentionally pejorative. Having said that, these folks have been pretty open about being from the "Tea Party" organizations and since they appear to like the phrase....
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #3050
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I wish we would get away from a 2 party system.

Granted, while I'm at it I should just wish for chocolate rivers, gum drop rain and unicorns.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote