If my social media is any indication
a) very few people were watching but
b) Trump may have just found that claymore his foot has been looking for

If so, it's Cruz or nothing I guess.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #2952
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

dola

The moderaters really need a mute button they can use on the candidates.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #2953
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Also, I wish the moderaters would've asked the candidates to vow not to appoint a supreme court justice in the last 10 months if their term if president. That way we know that they truly want to respect the wishes of the American people and that stalling an appointment isn't political bullshit.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #2954
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not the intended audience, but it seems to me that Rubio is having a good night.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #2955
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoying the Cruz-Rubio exchanges.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #2956
Easy Mac

Rubio just seemed there before the exchange, he got the better of Cruz.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #2957
Easy Mac

You get them down to six and they get a lot more catty.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #2958
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
dola

The moderaters really need a mute button they can use on the candidates.

ESPN should host a debate.

(Though I did say to my son that when the time is up, they should just turn the mic off.)

This is really devolving now, isn't it? Of course that does make for better tv.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #2959
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think Ben Carson should be replaced by a link pointing to his website.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #2960
cuervo72
Head Coach

Rubio pimped his website earlier too.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #2961
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
ESPN should host a debate.

(Though I did say to my son that when the time is up, they should just turn the mic off.)

This is really devolving now, isn't it? Of course that does make for better tv.

At some point I hope the crowd just starts chanting "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! " which of course is followed by the candidates trying to physically attack each other only to be restrained by security. And during the course of all this someone punches Ted Cruz in the face.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #2962
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, I wish the moderaters would've asked the candidates to vow not to appoint a supreme court justice in the last 10 months if their term if president. That way we know that they truly want to respect the wishes of the American people and that stalling an appointment isn't political bullshit.

Any of "the American people" that want a lifetime appointee from the other side* are of no consequence afaic. The more, and harder, they can be fucked over the better.

And I'd shit upon any candidate who felt otherwise frankly.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #2963
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump is getting killed.

But do his supporters give a damn?
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #2964
Easy Mac

The internet polls say Trump is winning this debate. How? He's being destroyed. The people in this country are so stupid and deserve whatever happens.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #2965
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump is getting killed.

But do his supporters give a damn?

If we just pick a number out of the air, say 33% currently, he'll hold 22% of those easily.

Where the other 11 percent go is critical. Honestly, I suspect several points worth will simply go away entirely.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-13-2016 at 09:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #2966
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jeb just used a not being able to afford a 500$ car payment as an example of what's wrong in America.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #2967
Edward64
Head Coach

Jeb-Trump exchanges are also entertaining.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #2968
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

"I'll ask the question and you do what you want."

Dickerson has given up.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #2969
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Jeb just used a not being able to afford a 500$ car payment as an example of what's wrong in America.

I think he was referring to headlines like these which have been making the rounds the past few days.

Americans’ Car Loan Debt Cruises to Record High | Money Talks News
Old 02-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #2970
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well I think Kasich came through this debate the cleanest.

Carson was desperate to get attention.

Everyone else seemed liked petulant children.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #2971
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But 500 is a lot and likely impossible without serious inflation. I just bought a nice used sedan in December and my payment is a little more than half that. I'd probably have to buy a 35-40k car to get to a 48 month 500$ payment.

I know loan terms can vary, but most people aren't going to ever be able to afford 500$ a month for a car. Nothing any president can do will change that.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #2972
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well I think Kasich came through this debate the cleanest.

Carson was desperate to get attention.

Everyone else seemed liked petulant children.

I've seen a lot of Kasich bashing from conservatives for perceived arrogance.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #2973
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think my favorite moment tonight was Carson's get rich scheme calling for more inflation so people could have bigger savings accounts.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #2974
Edward64
Head Coach

Mine was when Rubio said Cruz didn't speak spanish. That got a reaction.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #2975
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
But 500 is a lot and likely impossible without serious inflation. I just bought a nice used sedan in December and my payment is a little more than half that. I'd probably have to buy a 35-40k car to get to a 48 month 500$ payment.

I know loan terms can vary, but most people aren't going to ever be able to afford 500$ a month for a car. Nothing any president can do will change that.

car payment calculator - Google Search

Loan Amount: $25k
Interest: 3.11%
Period: 60mos

Monthly Payments: $450
Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #2976
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's a pretty high interest rate, but probably in line for a lot of folks. But even this is probably a 30k car or more after trade and down payment.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #2977
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That was pointless.

And an illustration why Trump should stay in real estate and keep out of politics.

Did he go too far tonight? I thought he was so far over the line that even his hard-core supporters should give some pause, but that's probably not what happened. I guess we'll find out in a few days. My sense is that this debate didn't change the landscape.

A few months ago, I maintained that Trump had no chance of winning the nomination. I can't ignore the national polls or the fact that the polls were fairly accurate in New Hampshire. This is not an impossibility. But every time he opens his mouth, the Democrats get a little closer to maintaining the White House. What would have been an easy home run for the Republicans is more a 50/50 shot.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #2978
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll just copy & paste from my social media

I'm going to make a political prediction. I'm not saying I'm 100% on board with the prediction personally -- my vote is still unsettled -- and you don't have to like anything about the prediction, but I'm still going to put it out there:
If Ted Cruz manages to become the face of GOP opposition to seating any SCOTUS appointment by Obama & the effort is successful through the nomination process, he's the Republican nominee. Politically, he's been handed an opportunity to be not only the face of an issue but also to get a win on an issue. This is that big, it's a game-changer ... if he pulls it off.

edit to add: With great opportunity also, perhaps, comes great risk. If he does become that face & the failure is rapid, his candidacy is finished.

I think you are dead on here. The question is whether he will need to be the face of the fight. The Senate GOP has always been a pretty soft group, but it is going to take a huge amount of pressure/bribing to get them to confirm a nominee this year. I won't say it can't happen, but it will be a real political struggle.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-14-2016 at 08:26 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #2979
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
That was pointless.

And an illustration why Trump should stay in real estate and keep out of politics.

Did he go too far tonight? I thought he was so far over the line that even his hard-core supporters should give some pause, but that's probably not what happened. I guess we'll find out in a few days. My sense is that this debate didn't change the landscape.

A few months ago, I maintained that Trump had no chance of winning the nomination. I can't ignore the national polls or the fact that the polls were fairly accurate in New Hampshire. This is not an impossibility. But every time he opens his mouth, the Democrats get a little closer to maintaining the White House. What would have been an easy home run for the Republicans is more a 50/50 shot.

To me, he definitely looked bad. He had to sound very democrat to many republicans, blaming GWB for all ills. Not saying he was completely wrong, just not wise to do that in South Carolina where people have long defended Bush.

He also took a shot at Lindsey Graham, who the state has elected several times. He is angry over the Graham endorsement of Jeb and the attack ads in the state. To me he came off looking like petulant child. If it were anyone else, I'd say this will severely hurt him in South Carolina. But nothing has hurt him yet, let's see if this does.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-14-2016 at 08:35 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #2980
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
That's a pretty high interest rate, but probably in line for a lot of folks.

Must be. I tell people my car loan was at 1.9% and they thought that was really good.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #2981
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Must be. I tell people my car loan was at 1.9% and they thought that was really good.

That was my rate as well, and I had multiple offers for that rate.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #2982
Easy Mac

I've looked at about 7 or 8 polls from conservative sites, and they all have Trump in the 60s as far as winning the debate. I honestly don't think there's anything that can hurt him at this point.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #2983
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I've looked at about 7 or 8 polls from conservative sites, and they all have Trump in the 60s as far as winning the debate. I honestly don't think there's anything that can hurt him at this point.

It's an Internet poll. It's useless. He will not lose his 30-35%. He will also not add to it.

Last edited by rowech : 02-14-2016 at 10:29 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #2984
rowech
Pro Starter

How many of those votes are from Democrats trying to make sure Trump gets the nomination?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #2985
digamma
Torchbearer

Maybe this is selective on my part, but I don't remember a Presidential debate where candidates referred to each other by first name so much. And not respectfully.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #2986
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
He also took a shot at Lindsey Graham, who the state has elected several times.

Which makes one wonder how many actual conservatives there are in the state anyway. But maybe it was Ds that kept electing that p.o.s., he was certainly cozy enough with 'em.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #2987
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Maybe this is selective on my part, but I don't remember a Presidential debate where candidates referred to each other by first name so much. And not respectfully.

And normally followed the first name with, "is a liar."
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #2988
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ben Carson's Fake Stalin Quote Came From a Right-Wing Facebook Meme

I thought that the entire tone of debate was sour. Not only were the candidates disrespectful, the crowd was awful. The total disrespect for the candidates is born from this building disrespect for the office of the President in general that started back in the early 90's. It demeans our government and our entire country.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #2989
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I thought that the entire tone of debate was sour. Not only were the candidates disrespectful, the crowd was awful. The total disrespect for the candidates is born from this building disrespect for the office of the President in general that started back in the early 90's. It demeans our government and our entire country.

There's no respect left for the office, in large part because it no longer deserves any respect.

We have a shitty form of government that has tipped so far into pandering to the lowest common denominator that we're unlikely to recover.

At this point, why pretend?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #2990
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
There's no respect left for the office, in large part because it no longer deserves any respect.

We have a shitty form of government that has tipped so far into pandering to the lowest common denominator that we're unlikely to recover.

At this point, why pretend?

You can burn it all down, or you can improve what you've got. The former simply love to bitch and rant that it's not the way they want it, and the latter bust their ass to get something out of it.

It's no surprise that your bitchy ass is in the former. You might as well gtfo now. It's always easier to throw stones than pick up a hammer.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #2991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You can burn it all down, or you can improve what you've got.

Nothing short of burning it down may be sufficient at this point. But improving it may very well begin with stopping all the bullshit, all the phony posturing, the faux politeness.

For crying out loud, LOOK at what's made Trump candidacy's to this point, LOOK at who is leading the race. The bulk of his appeal has been the willingness to set aside some of the obvious bullshit that gets parroted.

It's actually central to this race (note the topic of the thread). It's all quite on point honestly ... which is kind of amusing.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #2992
Dutch
"Dutch"

No change will help if you can't perform the basic process of any form of government. Well, it's not basic, any government would need to be highly complex. But just changing the overall philosophy and still squandering away $6 trillion dollars in taxes each year will result in the same.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #2993
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
That's a pretty high interest rate, but probably in line for a lot of folks. But even this is probably a 30k car or more after trade and down payment.

While in between jobs, I worked as a car salesman. That would be considered an incredibly low interest rate for us. I'd say at least half the deals I completed were above 6% and that might be a conservative estimate.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #2994
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #2995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eh, when there isn't a "good person" the chart fails.

And it kinda fails on the bad person/no vote one too honestly, or would if Presidential was the only thing on the ballot. I endured the line last cycle, voted in the downballot stuff.

In all seriousness, I think everyone faces races where their conscience simply doesn't allow a vote. I'll ding someone for not investigating their options, but no longer could I ding them in good conscience if they made an informed decision to bypass a specific race.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #2996
digamma
Torchbearer

Rubio can't seem to get out of his own way.

New Rubio 'Morning in America' Ad Apparently Uses Stock Footage of Canada - NBC News

The quote in that article has to be taken out of context, right? "We're not going to make Canada an issue in this election"? Huh?

As an aside, I thought the commercial was pretty poor disjointed, and then went back and watched the Reagan original. The original does explain the Rubio one (it is a scene for scene knock off), but the Reagan one actually makes sense.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #2997
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One of the factors that makes Iowa and New Hampshire so powerful is that they both react instantly to the debates. As we can see from polling in South Carolina, that's not the case there. The results in Iowa and New Hampshire influence South Carolina, but debates do not, and ground game and endorsements mean a lot. Governor Nikki Haley has not made an endorsement, but she appears to dislike Trump while her lieutenant governor has endorsed him. Rubio has several important endorsements there and looks like he could well take second.

I think Haley is on many short lists for the VP, so she might be reluctant to endorse when it's unclear who will end up head-to-head with Trump.

Bush has money and Lindsay Graham's endorsement, which is important in South Carolina (the Trump booing at the last debate really didn't start in earnest until he dissed Graham). But he's still polling 5th or 6th, and I think a below-10 finish should mean the end of his campaign. America just doesn't want another Bush. Not sure if he'll drop out, because he doesn't have to. But he should.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #2998
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Rubio can't seem to get out of his own way.

Arguably not any worse than Bush people failing to secure the JebBush.com domain.

It's bad, don't get me wrong, a creative director in charge of approving the images ought to be on the unemployment line by sundown for this gaffe ... but the Bush screwup is funnier.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #2999
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Arguably not any worse than Bush people failing to secure the JebBush.com domain.

It's bad, don't get me wrong, a creative director in charge of approving the images ought to be on the unemployment line by sundown for this gaffe ... but the Bush screwup is funnier.

I agree. The Rubio mess up is a little more subtle, JebTrump.org is just can't make it up funny.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #3000
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, Jeb Bush's campaign is like an episode of "Veep".