Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #251
Suicane75
Coordinator

That was a level of piss poor tackling second to none on that Florida TD.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #252
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
That was a level of piss poor tackling second to none on that Florida TD.

Only matched by our offense.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #253
Suicane75
Coordinator

Seriously, that last guy was right on him, like shoulder to shoulder, could have picked his pocket, and was just like "ehh".
Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #254
tarcone
Coordinator

37 is terrible. Unathletic and slow. But the coaches love him. We have an athletic freshman on the bench. But, as Iowa has always done, if the coaches dont trust you, you dont play.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #255
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Wow. Kiffin out and Sark in as OC before the championship game. I guess Saban really doesn't like Kiffin at all.

This hurts Clemson much much more than Bama.
Make no mistake, Alabama is clearly superior physically. For Clemson to win it will require a level of out-coaching. Brent Venables is one of the best in the country at breaking down tendencies and exposing patterns. That opportunity is now lost with a new play caller.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #256
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't think Bama is going to throw out their offense from this season and replace it this week.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #257
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I don't think Bama is going to throw out their offense from this season and replace it this week.

Nor do I, now was I suggesting as such.
The same plays will be called. A new playbook wont be created. However when you break a playcaller down, you learn some tendencies. I'll give you a concrete example. Go back and find DC Kevin Steele's comments after the Clemson- Auburn game. He lamented the last TD pass and said, charting them we knew Smash/7 was coming in that situation. They were 90+% Smash/7 in that down and distance. We told the players it was coming and they beat us with it anyway.

The OT INT to seal the win against NCSU, Coach Venables said immediately after the game, "We told them exactly the call and who he'd throw it to. They've went there 4 times this year in must have situations. The INT was simply executing at that point."

Those kind of tendencies aren't written in a a game plan. Those are what a given play caller feels most comfortable with in a certain situation. I'm not suggesting suddenly that Bama will come out in a flexbone and look like GT. However on a critical 3rd down play...there will be much more confusion about whats coming than there was this AM.

Believe me, Clemson has been tracking and charting Bama all season. I've seen the notes. I've seen coaches reviewing USC film in the last 10 days from Kiffin's time there to add charting data.

This is a HUGE deal inside the football offices in Clemson.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #258
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

True, but patterns and tendencies could easily be different.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #259
tarcone
Coordinator

Hey, Cartman, want Davis back?

Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the switch may also be in Bama's favor for another reason: Kiffie had "one of those games" on Saturday. His own quote today sums it up pretty good I think

Quote:
He rewatched the Washington game and said, "I was wondering, Was I always there?"

In terms of tendencies, honestly, he seemed out of synch with himself on Saturday. That said, predicting that LK based on the usual one might not have been productive for Clemson either.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #261
lungs
Pro Rookie

Western Michigan much better than the first few drives. But that pick will hurt as I write this post. WI ball in the red zone.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #262
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Fumagalli sounds like the name of an 80s metal band that was liked by all the other bands but wasn't commercially successful.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-02-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #263
lungs
Pro Rookie

Troy Fumagalli with some nice catches today (and one pretty bad drop)
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #264
tarcone
Coordinator

Interesting stat: In Iowas last 5 bowl games, we have scored 10 points in the 1st half, total.

Greg Davis for President.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #265
tarcone
Coordinator

If I won a 500 million dollar lottery, I would offer the University of Iowa $100 million of it to Fire Ferentz.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #266
Suicane75
Coordinator

Corey Davis is a beast.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #267
tarcone
Coordinator

What a piss poor performance. I wish our coaches gave our players a chance to win.

How can a team have 2 1000 yard rushers in a season and only win 8 games?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #268
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
You're right on both accounts. I love how old school CFB fans talk about how every game matters until the results don't fit their preconceived notions. PSU was the best team in the B1G this year, period. They would have at least shown up tonight. USC was the best team in the Pac-12 the moment Darnold was inserted into the lineup going 8-0 with wins over both teams in the Pac-12 title game. They would have put a more competent offense on the field than Washington today.

I still think Bama and Clemson is the final with those two teams there, but the best 4 teams were not in the playoff this year.

I was with you until USC. Not that USC could have been a top 4 team, they could have. Hell, they might beat Penn State by 50 today. I don't know.

Where I agree with you is the "every game matters" garbage. It only matters when it fits a narrative. Ohio State losing to Penn State and Penn State winning the conference meant NOTHING.

I have thought, and have always thought, that in a limited playoff situation, you should have to win your conference. That held true when it was a two team situation (like CU/Nebraska back in 2000) and holds true today.

I know my opinion on this isn't shared by most people. I don't really care. Win your conference or get out. If we go to 8, the power 5 conference champions, the mid major team and then two wild cards. Then if you want to include Ohio State and USC, fine by me. I will have little/no sympathy for the wild cards in that situation. You have your automatic way into the playoff, you don't succeed at doing that, you are at the mercy of the committee.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #269
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What a piss poor performance. I wish our coaches gave our players a chance to win.

How can a team have 2 1000 yard rushers in a season and only win 8 games?

Last time I'll pick Iowa!

Actually my parlay was already fucked by the over on Alabama/Washington.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Where I agree with you is the "every game matters" garbage. It only matters when it fits a narrative. Ohio State losing to Penn State and Penn State winning the conference meant NOTHING.

You're kinda right ... winning conferences doesn't mean much of anything in a lot of cases today & I'm fine with that.

It's really consistent with my take on other things about conferences though (see my comments in past years about GT finish in the ACC vs beating UGA).

Every game does matter, not just the conference ones. PSU and tOSU played 11 other regular season games, those also factor into the eventual assessment of the two teams, not just their head to head.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #271
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I was with you until USC. Not that USC could have been a top 4 team, they could have. Hell, they might beat Penn State by 50 today. I don't know.

I have thought, and have always thought, that in a limited playoff situation, you should have to win your conference. That held true when it was a two team situation (like CU/Nebraska back in 2000) and holds true today.

I know my opinion on this isn't shared by most people. I don't really care. Win your conference or get out. If we go to 8, the power 5 conference champions, the mid major team and then two wild cards. Then if you want to include Ohio State and USC, fine by me. I will have little/no sympathy for the wild cards in that situation. You have your automatic way into the playoff, you don't succeed at doing that, you are at the mercy of the committee.

I share this view. Don't think you can play the bullshit eye test games in a four-team playoff scenario. There needs to be some kind of access benchmark besides subjectivity. We used the computers to get us away from that and we didn't like those either. But hell, at this point, I'd almost prefer to go back to the era where we had multiple national titles and the bowl matchups were better.

Then the bowl do what they want, pick who they want, there are fewer games and we don't have to employ this charade where you can lose head-to-head to a team and somehow leapfrog them in a limit set of data situation. Just defies logic.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-02-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #272
MrBug708
Head Coach

Penn State with a wondrous start
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
We used the computers to get us away from that and we didn't like those either.

Key point you just made right there.

Somebody is always bitching, no matter what.

There were some of us old fogies that tried to tell people that leaving it alone was the best call of all ... nobody listens.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #274
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The more I watch him, the more I think Darnold has a bit of Aaron Rodgers to his game.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #275
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Nittany Lion offense has been McSorely lacking thus far.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #276
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

There were some of us old fogies that tried to tell people that leaving it alone was the best call of all ... nobody listens.

I listened and have said from the very, very beginning that 8 was the best. I would rather the teams that didn't win their conference titles bitch and moan then teams who did and were passed over "because"

To your post above, Penn State and Ohio State had 11 other games? Ohio State passes the eye test because they beat the crap out of that juggernaut Michigan State by 1 point? They lose that game and suddenly the conference title matters and Penn State gets in?

I'm sorry, but no. If you can't win your own conference (or in this case even your DIVISION in your own conference) you do not deserve to play for the title. I don't need an eye test for that.

I still feel 8 is better. But if it is going to be 2 or 4, a conference title should be mandatory IMHO.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #277
tarcone
Coordinator

I like 8 as well. 5 conference champions and 3 wild cards.

Or 4 conference champions and 4 wild cards.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #278
miami_fan
Coordinator

The receivers for both teams in the Rose Bowl are making incredible catches.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #279
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The receivers for both teams in the Rose Bowl are making incredible catches.

Yeah, this has been an amazing game. The deciding factor right now is that when USC had a chance on a tipped ball, they got the INT. When Penn State had the chance on the goal line, they dropped the INT. Without that, USC would be kicking to take a 23-21 lead right now, instead of the chance to go up 9.

Terrific game.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #280
Suicane75
Coordinator

That was an all-time great run.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #281
miami_fan
Coordinator

Incredible cut inside on the run.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #282
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was a hell of a run
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #283
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie
State Penn would have put up a better fight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I don't think you'll have the same opinion after their game tomorrow.

Now I remember why I quit gambling on football. I didn't even have the date of the game correct.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #284
Comey
College Starter

PSU is the second-youngest team in the nation. They return virtually everyone, and all of their skill players. Saquon will be in the discussion for the best RB in the nation next year. The defense is unbelievably underrated.

As much as fans have come to have that lightning-in-a-bottle feel over the years, there might finally be a consistent winner in Happy Valley.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #285
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Rose Bowl: Washington vs Penn State
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Oklahoma
Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs Ohio State
Cotton Bowl: USC vs Oklahoma St

Why does it have to be more complicated or important than that?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #286
RedKingGold
College Starter

This PSU team is freaking magical.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #287
Suicane75
Coordinator

And good.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #288
Suicane75
Coordinator

jEPPERS
Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #289
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #290
tarcone
Coordinator

PsU starting to lay the hammer

Last edited by tarcone : 01-02-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #291
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
This PSU team is freaking magical.

They are good. Very, very, very good. That run was beyond special. Once they caught the momentum, things have went crazy.

Something tells me this isn't over. This is going to end up as a classic, classic game.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #292
Suicane75
Coordinator

This thing could end up in the 60's, and it's honestly not because of bad defenses.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #293
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Because arbitrarily assigned champions are BS and always have been.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #294
TroyF
Coordinator

That was the very definition of the targeting rule. Ejection was the only call they could make there.

I so wish the NFL moved to this system.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #295
Suicane75
Coordinator

The level of tenacity from both these teams is fun to watch. They don't want to go out of bounds, they don't want to go down. Either one of these teams, but especially PSU could just say eff it after getting left out of the playoff, but they are playing with a chip on their shoulder and trying to prove a point and it has made for a great game.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 01-02-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #296
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The level of tenacity from both these teams is fun to watch. They don't want to go out of bounds, they don't want to go down. Either one of these teams, but especially PSU could just say eff it after getting left out of the playoff, but they are playing with a chip on their shoulder and trying to prove a point and it has made for a great game.

Well, it's easy to play with a chip on your shoulder when after you win the championship of your conference and play some of the best football in the country for a two month period and people still put you as over a TD underdogs. I don't think it was all that difficult for the Penn State coaches to get their kids up for this game.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #297
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sugar Bowl gonna be delayed or JIP? At this rate this game could be going till 10.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #298
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, it's easy to play with a chip on your shoulder when after you win the championship of your conference and play some of the best football in the country for a two month period and people still put you as over a TD underdogs. I don't think it was all that difficult for the Penn State coaches to get their kids up for this game.

I agree somewhat. Not giving a shit is also a very real scenario though.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #299
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well damn, kill the momentum of the game why don't ya.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #300
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

These refs are ridiculous.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote