Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 AM   #251
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't think he's actually 24, but probably closer to it than he is to 19.

A passport from 2009 shows that he is indeed 19 now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #252
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Noah supposedly going to the knicks for around 18m per year. Good luck with that. I feel like you could do much better for that kind of money.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #253
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A passport from 2009 shows that he is indeed 19 now.

I don't doubt the passport. Last weekend I spoke to someone involved in basketball at a high level in Australia who has known Maker since a few years before he left for the US, and this topic came up. Their opinion was that it's more a question of if he's 19 or 20 given the lack of paperwork when he first came to Australia... Since the influx of Sudanese immigrants there's been a few cases over here of associations being burnt because of guys lying about their age, but he doesn't think he was one of the guys that did that, and if his age is wrong it's just due to oversight.

My wife was a Vietnamese immigrant and when she arrived here, her mum put down a particular date as her date of birth because the numbers were lucky - she has no idea what day she was actually born, but it was probably roughly around that date. That's the kind of 'oversight' he thinks it is.

As much as I'd love for him to be great as an Aussie, I don't have particularly high hopes, but probably not a bad draft to try and swing for the fences given how underwhelming a lot of the 10-30 picks were.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #254
nol
Banned

BOLD FREE AGENT PREDICTIONS:

Kevin Durant will take a few days to meet with teams and decide where he wants to play, but somehow it won't be indicative of him being a prima donna trying to make everything about him (also if the Thunder sign Al Horford that would more than make up for trading Ibaka, whereas now it's more of a break-even deal on their part).

The Sixers will be aggressive in offering 22-24 year old restricted free agents a lot of money, which will be spun as them starting to try now when this was the year they were going to do it all along.

Almost everyone who signs for more than $15 million will be regarded as a massive overpay for six months or so until people realize that those players are getting paid properly and the players who were free agents 2-3 years ago are actually massive bargains.

Last edited by nol : 06-30-2016 at 08:46 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #255
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I agree on the 76ers. I'll even go with they will sign Barnes, Clarkson (overpay because he plays 2) and Lin. Lin gives them just another "international" player to become a version of Team World.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #256
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I agree on the 76ers. I'll even go with they will sign Barnes, Clarkson (overpay because he plays 2) and Lin. Lin gives them just another "international" player to become a version of Team World.

What's going to be crazy is that Barnes and Clarkson could agree to max offer sheets from a team like the 76ers and it would still make financial sense for the Warriors/Lakers to match those deals.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #257
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Not so sure the Warriors want to match the offer. I really think Colangelo tries to bend the Lakers over with a near max to Clarkson. And with Lin I just think he fits them perfectly to energize the fan base.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #258
nol
Banned

If the Warriors don't sign Durant, matching any offer on Barnes surely would be the best way to go unless there's some unprecedented amount of players willing to take huge discounts to sign with a contender (ask David West how that went).

It's important to note how different the cap is. In 2011, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all had to take below-market deals just so the Heat would be able to fill out the roster with the mid-level exception plus minimum-salary ring chasers. Now, Bismack Biyombo is going to get more in annual salary than what LeBron got those years.

Last edited by nol : 06-30-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #259
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
If the Warriors don't sign Durant, matching any offer on Barnes surely would be the best way to go unless there's some unprecedented amount of players willing to take huge discounts to sign with a contender (ask David West how that went).

It's important to note how different the cap is. In 2011, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all had to take below-market deals just so the Heat would be able to fill out the roster with the mid-level exception plus minimum-salary ring chasers. Now, Bismack Biyombo is going to get more in annual salary than what LeBron got those years.
\

Aren't they high up there right now? I mean I know they want to move Bogut but if anyone offers 15+ to Barnes then trading Bogut still has them over 90M(assuming it's not Bogut for picks). McAdoo felt like he was getting an audition to let Barnes go during the playoffs.

I guess another option is letting Livingston (partial) and Festus (qual) go but that's not freeing up enough to bring back Barnes if you lose those two players. I wonder if they are getting Jamal Crawford to sub in Livingston's role if it comes to that.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #260
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Another off the wall question, how much do the Warriors brace for the 20 million a year increase Curry will get in 17-18? I know the cap goes up again but everyone falls off after this year minus Green and Thompson. Why not let Barnes go and try to find some "bargins" to keep this thing rolling?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #261
nol
Banned

Quote:
Another off the wall question, how much do the Warriors brace for the 20 million a year increase Curry will get in 17-18? I know the cap goes up again but everyone falls off after this year minus Green and Thompson. Why not let Barnes go and try to find some "bargins" to keep this thing rolling?

Curry's raise is nothing compared to the amount of money/prestige they've gotten from him. If they get Durant, they're a dynasty no matter who the 5th-12th players are. Otherwise going into the luxury tax for once in exchange for a team that's won 85 percent of its regular season games the past few years is a pretty fine deal.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #262
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Curry's raise is nothing compared to the amount of money/prestige they've gotten from him. If they get Durant, they're a dynasty no matter who the 5th-12th players are. Otherwise going into the luxury tax for once in exchange for a team that's won 85 percent of its regular season games the past few years is a pretty fine deal.

They aren't getting Durant.

But what do the Dubs do if Barnes gets offered 40 for 2 with the 2nd being a player option(and no Durant)? Do they really want to go into another year of free agency with Barnes having already turned down 4/64. He'll want a Tristan Thompson deal+20 million and if the Warriors can't afford it then he takes the chance on the 2 year option deal and plays for a max with even more cap room the following year.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 06-30-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #263
wustin
College Prospect

GSW was 10M over the luxury tax this past year. I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying the tax if it means Curry stays. Oracle Arena currently has 175 consecutive sell out games, you bet Curry has everything to do with that.

If the Warriors are looking to clear cap space, there's no reason to move Livingston. His team option had to be picked up because it's literally pennies, otherwise other teams would gladly overpay him. I personally don't think Warriors should trade him off but he's probably their most attractive asset, they could easily deal him for draft picks to a playoff team.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #264
nol
Banned

Quote:

But what do the Dubs do if Barnes gets offered 40 for 2 with the 2nd being a player option(and no Durant)?

They pay it unless they think they can sign another player who can replicate his production for about $3 million per year. Otherwise they're just heading into the season hoping that a worse version of last year's team can attract a big name free agent after this year's team couldn't.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #265
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:

But what do the Dubs do if Barnes gets offered 40 for 2 with the 2nd being a player option(and no Durant)? Do they really want to go into another year of free agency with Barnes having already turned down 4/64. He'll want a Tristan Thompson deal+20 million and if the Warriors can't afford it then he takes the chance on the 2 year option deal and plays for a max with even more cap room the following year.

He would be dumb for wanting to sign a 1+1 deal because 2017 free agency is loaded with players better than he is or have higher upside. Might as well and just sign a 3-4 year deal. As horrible as he played during the finals he better take full advantage this offseason and try to get as much money as possible.

Last edited by wustin : 06-30-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #266
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
He would be dumb for wanting to sign a 1+1 deal because 2017 free agency is loaded with players better than he is or have higher upside. Might as well and just sign a 3-4 year deal. As horrible as he played during the finals he better take full advantage this offseason and try to get as much money as possible.

Right. This is the fantasy but then the fact of the matter is that the Warriors won't find suitable discounts to replace Barnes. I don't think a team that just went 73-9 is terribly concerned about high upside players who may very well be worse than Barnes.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #267
Zinto
College Starter

Another team cannot sign Barnes to a 1+1. Restricted free agents have to sign at least a two year deal with no option years if they are signing with another team. (At least I think that is the case)

Last edited by Zinto : 06-30-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #268
Zinto
College Starter

I am not sure how the Warriors can let Barnes walk if they do not get Durant. He is an important piece to their best lineup and he will be really hard to replace. At worst they sign him and work out trade him away later.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #269
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinto View Post
Another team cannot sign Barnes to a 1+1. Restricted free agents have to sign a two year deal with no option years if they are signing with another team. (At least I think that is the case)

Why would Barnes sign such a deal when other teams will offer him the max or very close to the max right off the bat?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #270
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:
Why would Barnes sign such a deal when other teams will offer him the max or very close to the max right off the bat?

He wouldn't. I was just saying that a team couldn't give him a 1+1.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah it has to be 2+1 for a restricted FA I believe(re: Parsons)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #272
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Barnes is going to sign a RFA sheet with the Sixers, the Warriors can probably dump Bogut on them as well to clear cap space for Durant(not that it will happen)

Durant basically has to sign a 1+1 or he's going to lose a bunch of money by doing a long term deal
Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #273
MrBug708
Head Coach

@DanDuangdao

Lakers and Timofey Mozgov are working on four-year, $65 million deal according to @WojVerticalNBA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #274
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, the Warriors' options this off-season are essentially Durant or Barnes. There will be other minor pieces, but that's the whole shebang in terms of meaningful moves.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 AM   #275
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mozgov 4/65
Noah 4/70

This is going to be a NUTS free agency market.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #276
wustin
College Prospect

Didn't think Noah would still command that much money. New York's gonna be exciting to watch next year.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #277
wustin
College Prospect

Parsons to Blazers for 94.7M/4 years

Almost max money. Barnes will probably be offered the same amount if not more.

Edit: I can't into math, that's a max deal lol

Last edited by wustin : 07-01-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:20 AM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from @billbarnwell

Quote:
Lakers: "We'll give you $65 million over four years."
Mozgov's agent: "Wait, seriously?"

LOL
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #279
Atocep
Coordinator

Not at all surprising that they jumped on that offer the minute free agency opened.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #280
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The cap situation has just blown things up.

The Lakers are signing Mozgov to more than the max contract Boogie signed two years ago.

Cousins must be steaming right now. :P

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-01-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #281
wustin
College Prospect

16M/year isn't too bad, they probably overpaid a million or two since they wanted him immediately. Mozgov didn't really play much this season so it's kind of questionable to sign a 29 year old for 4 years.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:27 AM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Didn't think Noah would still command that much money. New York's gonna be exciting to watch 5 years ago.

Fixed.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #283
Izulde
Head Coach

Ugh. WHY, LAKERS, WHY?!?!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #284
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Lakers busy.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 20m20 minutes ago
Can confirm Jordan Clarkson back to the Lakers on a four-year, $50 mil deal. @ShamsCharania first reported.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:48 AM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems low for Clarkson. Was he an Arenas provision guy?

I.E. was that his max?

Last edited by stevew : 07-01-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #286
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Seems low for Clarkson. Was he an Arenas provision guy?

I.E. was that his max?

He's an Arenas provision guy, yeah.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #287
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So will Mozgov just pull off the Dwight Howard mask at his press conference or will he wait until he gets his second foul three minutes into his first game as a Laker?

I am just assuming the Lakers don't actually know who Timofey Mozgov is.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-01-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #288
heybrad
Norm!!!

Hibbert was the 76th rated center in the league last year. Mozgov is the 75th rated center so it's definitely an upgrade.

heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #289
nol
Banned

Whiteside is staying in Miami on a four-year max deal. Interesting that this is the guy they break the bank for after years of getting Wade to take discounts.

Last edited by nol : 07-01-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #290
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So will Mozgov just pull off the Dwight Howard mask at his press conference or will he wait until he gets his second foul three minutes into his first game as a Laker?

I am just assuming the Lakers don't actually know who Timofey Mozgov is.

They just paid a guy more per year than his point total in the entire playoff run this year(15 points in 13 games) or total defensive rebounds in the playoff run (16).

Bazemore will get 20 million a year based off this.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #291
wustin
College Prospect

Bazemore was the Hawks' best perimeter defender and is a decent shooter. His stats are impressive for someone who plays less than 30 minutes a game.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #292
nol
Banned

Jeremy Lin signed a downright sensible contract of 3 years, $36 million with Brooklyn. The only better PG deal than that is going to be whichever team trades for Ricky Rubio.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #293
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jeremy Lin signed a downright sensible contract of 3 years, $36 million with Brooklyn. The only better PG deal than that is going to be whichever team trades for Ricky Rubio.

So Brook-Lin? I'll see my self out.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #294
nol
Banned

I'm sure the fact that he can dish off assists to Brook Lopez and create the Brook-Lin Brooklyn combo played a large part in his decision.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #295
Logan
Head Coach

Brooklinsanity.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #296
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm sure the fact that he can dish off assists to Brook Lopez and create the Brook-Lin Brooklyn combo played a large part in his decision.

Sounds a lot better than wanting to reunite with Atkinson.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #297
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

OJ Mayo kicked out of the league for 2 years with his violation of the drug policy.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #298
whomario
Pro Starter

Mozgov from the season before would be a decent get. Itīs not guaranteed heīll recover fully, but itīs pretty telling people donīt even consider he was rushing back last season from surgery and basically never had a window to get his legs back under him, quite literally ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #299
whomario
Pro Starter

But yeah, its as if teams not realize while they can certainly afford these signings under the new cap, they will eventually have to resign (or newly sign) better players who are still on the old-cap bargain contracts ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2016 at 12:57 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Memory lane, courtesy of O.J. Mayo