Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #251
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
That looked like a possible fumble on that sack. I would've had that reviewed.

I agree 100%. It looked like a fumble. It was also clearly holding on the guy who got the eventual sack. I don't care about this, so long as they ref it the same way the rest of the game for OSU. It will actually favor the Cowboys if they call Mizzou for grabbing WR down the field. They've been doing it to Stewart all game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #252
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

To me, it seems the Clemson/OSU game is being officiated well.. The penalties I have seen aside from the roughing have been legit calls.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #253
kingfc22
Head Coach

What an excellent play call. Had everyone fooled on that TD.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #254
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Excited to see what Watkins and Boyd do at the next level.

I think Watkins will be a beast, I think Boyd makes too many mistakes.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #255
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Then Watkins tosses a softball out there, or Clemson is up 7.

FUCK EA
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #256
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

I'm in this camp. Watkins is going to be a playmaker in the NFL.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #257
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hated the play call on the conversion. Looked like Dabo got too clever for his own good.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #258
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I guess the reason I asked about the officials is I have never seen a sideline penalty called without a warning first issued and Clemson has had two called in this game. The second gave LSU a 1st after a 3rd down stop.

Plus the late hit on the 4th down in the first half...I *thought* in college late hit on a ball carrier was a continuation play.

The Shuey roughing on the td looked suspect.

And while it moot now, Tajh was in on that 2nd down rush there. We are 5 rows off the field on the goal line. They showed it on the jumbo and every LSU fan around us groaned and then the play stood as called.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #259
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

I think he does make mistakes, but I would take him over Geno Smith I think. I feel like he can grow into a starting job somewhere where they already have a guy who is nearing the end of his career. I think Arizona would be the perfect landing spot for him.

FUCK EA
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #260
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Somebody please unplug Millen's mic.

Take a shot for every "buckaroo" mention.

All buckaroos are hurtin.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #261
TroyF
Coordinator

That was some big boy football at the goal line there. So much freaking time left. Both of these games. You have 4 offenses who can score at will and 5 minutes or so left in each game. We may see four or five more scores tonight between the two games.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #262
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Miller probably ought to be out of the game.

FUCK EA
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #263
TroyF
Coordinator

Wow, what a hit. Miller is hurt. I think collarbone just went bye bye.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #264
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's the game.

At least OSU played well. If Brown had made a fair catch I wonder f it would have turned out differently.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #265
BillJasper
Pro Starter

As much as I admire Braxton Miller wanting to gut it out, they should've pulled him for Guiton when Shuey drove him into the turf.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #266
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's the game.

At least OSU played well. If Brown had made a fair catch I wonder f it would have turned out differently.

It really did turn at that point. I thought Clemson was done until Brown fumbled.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #267
TroyF
Coordinator

Franklin keeps throwing horrible passes over the middle of the field. Two on this drive. The last one should have been an INT. OSU may regret missing that last one. A few years ago with OU driving, an OSU player dropped a sure gimmee INT and OU threw a TD pass two plays later to win the game. OSU drops one and Mizzou throws one for 20. We'll see if the OSU D can stiffen up here.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #268
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

What a throw by Franklin!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #269
TroyF
Coordinator

Two plays later, TD. gonna have to put together a drive.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #270
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Ha...Millen looks like a damn Yeti with that white goatee.

Also, Boyd wtf.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #271
BillJasper
Pro Starter

What was Boyd thinking there?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #272
kingfc22
Head Coach

A pass play? Yikes. Horrible throw.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #273
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

That was kind of prophetic. good job.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #274
TroyF
Coordinator

Holy shit. Seriously? OSU WR gets a bump 10 yards down the field, no call. Nice of the refs to decide the game. I wouldn't have cared about the other call if it was equal. It isn't equal and that's garbage.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #275
kingfc22
Head Coach

And an even worse throw by Miller.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #276
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That was kind of prophetic. good job.

I just got lucky.

Still don't understand why they kept sending Miller out there when he was obviously hurt?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #277
TroyF
Coordinator

That's not a catch for OSU. Clear drop. Refs won't miss that one.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #278
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not completely paying attention, was the on screen scoreboard wrong? Did Ohio State not have 2 timeouts left?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #279
TroyF
Coordinator

Are you serious? OSU builds momentum, gets a play that isn't a review, they stop the game and let Mizzou rest. This crew is having a wonderful fourth quarter. . .
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #280
kingfc22
Head Coach

If you're gonna call back the pick six, then that is PI in the end zone. Way more contact on that play.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-03-2014 at 11:23 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #281
TroyF
Coordinator

game over. Proud of the guys. If not for a dropped INT and a couple of garbage calls, they win the football game. Now I just have to hope Texas doesn't exhaust all their options and goes after Gundy. It wouldn't shock me.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #282
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
game over. Proud of the guys. If not for a dropped INT and a couple of garbage calls, they win the football game. Now I just have to hope Texas doesn't exhaust all their options and goes after Gundy. It wouldn't shock me.

Sounds like Strong is taking that job.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #283
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
If you're gonna call back the pick six, then that is PI in the end zone. Way more contact on that play.

Like I said earlier, I don't care that they called the PI on that if it's equal. It wasn't equal. They missed a clear PI on Mizzou to start that drive and the one in the end zone is PI if OSU's was a PI. Not to mention the 2 minute rest they gave the Mizzou defense to do nothing to the clock. I did not expect OSU to win the game or to even be in it. I'm happy they played Mizzou to a draw.

Love Pinkel and I like Mizzou and their players. Not unhappy at their success at all, but they were very fortunate to win that football game. Karma is a bitch. They'll pay for it next year sometime.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #284
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

LOL

SEC!!!! SEC!!!! SEC!!!!

MIZ-ZOU!!!!!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #285
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I continue to dream that one day I can gloat in the CFB week 16 thread about IU.

FUCK EA
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #286
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
LOL

SEC!!!! SEC!!!! SEC!!!!

MIZ-ZOU!!!!!

Yeah wasn't the board up in arms earlier about how all the SEC schools make excuses when they lose? LOL. Ten point loss is on the officiating.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #287
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I continue to dream that one day I can gloat in the CFB week 16 thread about IU.

Right there with you. Right there with you.

At least I can enjoy Ohio State's loss.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-04-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #288
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah wasn't the board up in arms earlier about how all the SEC schools make excuses when they lose? LOL. Ten point loss is on the officiating.

Oh, for God's sake, a ten point loss? Is that what you saw? A game where OSU had a pick six called back on something that was no more PI than the play in the end zone and a fumble return for a TD as OSU is in field goal range for the tying score? OK, you obviously believe every call was correct and that your boys earned the win. Congrats on you and your university, but to act all smug and act as though that were a double digit, dominating win is just a little over the top, don't ya think?

I stated I was happy for Mizzou, liked the coach, liked the players, liked the program. I happen to think the calls were poor. (I also typed here that it should be a catch and a first down for Mizzou and that the OSU player dropped the ball, but I guess I just have orange colored glasses on and only saw what I wanted to, right?

At the end of the day, what cost OSU the W was the dropped INT. The LB holds on to a gimmee INT, I think OSU holds on and wins the game. I think that was a monumental play and it was all in OSU's control. Am I especially happy a Pick six gets called back and then Mizzou has one obvious PI call and a fifty/fifty PI call and neither one get called for OSU? No, I'm not. Not even a little bit.

It's because of how good I thought Mizzou was that I didn't believe OSU had a chance in the game, no matter what the line said. So, if you think I'm some Mizzou hating, SEC hating (I wasn't involved in any of that discussion by the way) jack ass, you didn't really read my posts all that accurately.

Congrats on your blowout win. You're right, despite getting outgained by 75 yards and your QB going 15-40, OSU was clearly dominated and should go back to Stillwater ashamed at getting throttled by double digits. Good call.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #289
chadritt
High School Varsity

When the SEC fans do it theyre making excuses, when anyone else does theyre giving an explanation? Is that it?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, for God's sake, a ten point loss? Is that what you saw? A game where OSU had a pick six called back on something that was no more PI than the play in the end zone and a fumble return for a TD as OSU is in field goal range for the tying score? OK, you obviously believe every call was correct and that your boys earned the win. Congrats on you and your university, but to act all smug and act as though that were a double digit, dominating win is just a little over the top, don't ya think?

I stated I was happy for Mizzou, liked the coach, liked the players, liked the program. I happen to think the calls were poor. (I also typed here that it should be a catch and a first down for Mizzou and that the OSU player dropped the ball, but I guess I just have orange colored glasses on and only saw what I wanted to, right?

At the end of the day, what cost OSU the W was the dropped INT. The LB holds on to a gimmee INT, I think OSU holds on and wins the game. I think that was a monumental play and it was all in OSU's control. Am I especially happy a Pick six gets called back and then Mizzou has one obvious PI call and a fifty/fifty PI call and neither one get called for OSU? No, I'm not. Not even a little bit.

It's because of how good I thought Mizzou was that I didn't believe OSU had a chance in the game, no matter what the line said. So, if you think I'm some Mizzou hating, SEC hating (I wasn't involved in any of that discussion by the way) jack ass, you didn't really read my posts all that accurately.

Congrats on your blowout win. You're right, despite getting outgained by 75 yards and your QB going 15-40, OSU was clearly dominated and should go back to Stillwater ashamed at getting throttled by double digits. Good call.

LOL

41-31.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #291
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I disagree on a different argument: Alabama couldn't win its DIVISION, let alone its CONFERENCE, so how can they play for the national championship? It's a worse travesty than Nebraska playing for the national championship after getting destroyed in their conference championship game.

And yes, I know the NFL let's non division winners play for the championship, but only after it lets all the division winners in first. Alabama should not have been involved unless they had an 8-game playoff, in which case you can argue they should have been one of the 2 wildcards (there were still 6 AQ conferences then if I remember).
Just to clarify, you think the following 3 teams

- a 2-loss Oregon team LSU beat by 13
- a 3-loss West Virginia team LSU beat by 26 @ WVU
- a Clemson team that lost 3 of its last 5 games by 14+ points

were all more deserving of a title game shot than an Alabama team LSU beat by 3 in OT (and who didn't have a single other game closer than 16 points)? Sorry, but until conferences are remotely comparable or we do get that 8+ team playoff putting a "conference championship" over a teams whole resume is dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What about Auburn?
Btw UGA was ranked 5 when they lost to Clemson. Top 5 is elite by any standard.
I should've included the winky face for sarcasm. But that Georgia game is a perfect example of the SEC double standard. I think judging wins by the teams ranking at the time is silly - does LSU get less credit for beating Auburn because they were unranked in September? - but I do think the Georgia team Clemson beat was at least a legit top 10 team, but then injuries decimated its season and it finished unranked - so SEC partisans will overlook that game when looking at big games between conferences.

Auburn's an extreme case - you could easily make the argument that with Malzahn they're elite, but come on - they went 3-9 last season. Heck, even Florida stumbled this year and lost the Elite moniker, even though they were a play away from the title game last year. Same with Georgia. I really do think at the NC level* it's not an SEC bias, but an Alabama (and to a lesser extent LSU) bias. Texas A&M was considered an elite team and NC contender because they beat Alabama... Auburn instantly gained credibility as an NC contender because it beat Alabama. Even if Missouri had won the SEC title game I'm certain people wouldn't be giving them the same respect because they didn't have to beat Alabama (or even LSU) along the way. (In fact, I could've seen Alabama sneaking into the title game over Missouri under that scenario... which would've made gstelmack's head explode )

* - there is a 2nd level of SEC bias, where ESPN pumps up its mid-tier teams so they're in/around the top 10/top 25 because it broadcasts so many SEC games, but that doesn't matter as much to me.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #292
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
When the SEC fans do it theyre making excuses, when anyone else does theyre giving an explanation? Is that it?

Exactly. Like I said earlier every fanbase makes excuses and blames the refs when they lose but the board was about 98/2 that wasn't the case and it was an SEC thing.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kony Ealy declares he's going pro. Hate to see him go.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #294
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
* - there is a 2nd level of SEC bias, where ESPN pumps up its mid-tier teams so they're in/around the top 10/top 25 because it broadcasts so many SEC games, but that doesn't matter as much to me.

And I think this "2nd level" is the "small but significant" point I take issue with.
Because every loss it to "a top 10 team"...

That was kinda my whole bitch from the beginning.
Bama is the Elite Program, no doubt, and if you beat them well you must be elite EVEN IF you lost somewhere else along the way.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #295
SackAttack
Head Coach

Good game from OSU. I thought they had Mizzou beat.

That said, the Sugar Bowl can join the Orange Bowl in the "Go Fuck Yourself" Bowl, as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad the BCS is gone after this year, but for the playoff, they really need to make sure there's a rule, written or otherwise, that if you don't win your fucking division, you don't get to even be considered for a chance to play with the final four, or whatever number it is.

Because if there's a scenario where Alabama, or USC, or whoever-the-fuck gets a playoff bid despite not winning their conference or playing in the conference title game (and even allowing the runner-up in if it's a four-team playoff would be bullshit), then the playoff, too, can preemptively go fuck itself.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #296
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Just to clarify, you think the following 3 teams

- a 2-loss Oregon team LSU beat by 13
- a 3-loss West Virginia team LSU beat by 26 @ WVU
- a Clemson team that lost 3 of its last 5 games by 14+ points

were all more deserving of a title game shot than an Alabama team LSU beat by 3 in OT

Yes.

I don't care if the conferences aren't comparable. Hell, that's part of the point. Conference Championships exist. You win your conference and then you can play other Conference Champs and then you can have a (small sample size, yes) comparable competition among conferences.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #297
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Isn't time for Meyer to start spending more time with the family?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #298
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Isn't time for Meyer to start spending more time with the family?

Fake a health issue and take a cushy job on the SEC Network!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #299
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Stat of the night before I load up and pull into traffic.
In 116 years of Ohio State football they are now 285-1-1 when scoring 35 points.

That is the first loss in 287 games where Ohio State scored 35 points
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #300
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yes.

I don't care if the conferences aren't comparable. Hell, that's part of the point. Conference Championships exist. You win your conference and then you can play other Conference Champs and then you can have a (small sample size, yes) comparable competition among conferences.
Guess we'll just agree to disagree then. I'd agree with this if there were absolutely no conference overlap, but there is, and I think out of conference games do matter, and a 1-loss SEC West (or PAC-12 North, or Big 12) team should be there over a hypothetical team that went 0-4 OOC, and dropped a couple in-conference games but snuck into a title game and won it - like 2012 Georgia Tech if they could have scored 1 more TD. After that it's just a matter of where to draw the line and how much value a conference championship should have.

Just curious - would it change your mind at all if Alabama had been the one to beat Oregon and West Virginia head to head in 2011, thus giving them a better record and an H2H win?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote