Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #251
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

That list was amusing. Although, the money Texas can throw at a coach is pretty outrageous.

I'll throw it out there again - Todd Graham. Obviously not an "A-lister", but he has Texas roots and was hired by Patterson at ASU.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #252
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You had me at Mike Tomlin.

fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm not going to try to add legitimacy to my post by adding "my sources say" or any of that. My gut feeling, if indeed Mack is stepping down, is that there are two names on the list after Saban. First is Mike Gundy at Okie State, and second is Art Briles at Baylor. I think Gundy is the more attractive candidate, since he is 46, nearly the same age as Brown when he came to Texas. If it clicks, they could get a similar 15-16 years out of him. With Saban or Briles, you'll get likely 7 or 8 seasons max.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #254
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah those make a lot of sense to me, although I haven't gotten the impression that Briles is the type that would really want to deal with all the off the field stuff associated with being the Texas HC. But I admit I'm real far away from his situation to know...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #255
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the problem with Briles is it will take him a few years to bring his guys in and by then he will be even older and will Texas be willing to wait that long. I can see it being similar toe Rich Rod at Michigan, but not as bad.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #256
Logan
Head Coach

Narduzzi turned down the UConn job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #257
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm not going to try to add legitimacy to my post by adding "my sources say" or any of that. My gut feeling, if indeed Mack is stepping down, is that there are two names on the list after Saban. First is Mike Gundy at Okie State, and second is Art Briles at Baylor. I think Gundy is the more attractive candidate, since he is 46, nearly the same age as Brown when he came to Texas. If it clicks, they could get a similar 15-16 years out of him. With Saban or Briles, you'll get likely 7 or 8 seasons max.

Texas money versus T. Boone Pickens would be interesting.

I can't believe it has already been six years since Gundy was a man.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #258
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Gundy makes some sense I guess since there is friction between him and the AD. My feeling is that the dude bleeds Cowpoke Orange and Black and it will be very hard to go to a team that plays his heart and soul every season and he will likely be contending against them for Little12 titles. He is set in Stillwater and I just dont know if a grudge is enoug for him to torch his entire past.

The Briles ship sailed when he re-upped with Baylor. Unless the NCAA finally comes sniffing around Waco, I think him leaving is unlikely. Besides, Danny Boy Snyder may be after him to get RG3 back to Heisman-play

I've said it before but I think hiring Graham would be an absolute disaster for texas. Long-term he hasnt proven shit, except how to take premiere talent from Allen HS and win some state titles.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #259
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...-darkhorse.ece

Insert "not sure if serious" Joker image.

Haha.
Dabo?
ha.

There is a huge chunk of the Clemson fan base that would rejoice if that were to happen (I am not one of them, and a big fan btu lets be honest. Uhhh No)
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #260
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola
My biggest fear here is that it is Briles and the resulting dominoes lead Chad Morris back to the state of Texas.

Finally.
Graham...haha uhhh... no.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #261
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, but if Saban ends up at Texas, does Alabama end up interested in Dabo? I find it hard to believe that he would turn them down, but I also don't know if he is a big enough name to satisfy the Bama fan base.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #262
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ASF wins Mackey award as nations top tight end. Well deserved. Dude is going to be a beast at the next level. If the Pats get a holdof him he can out up number better than Gronk.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #263
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yes, but if Saban ends up at Texas, does Alabama end up interested in Dabo? I find it hard to believe that he would turn them down, but I also don't know if he is a big enough name to satisfy the Bama fan base.

I think Carolina fans would hate Dabo leaving Clemson more than Clemson fans would.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That list was amusing. Although, the money Texas can throw at a coach is pretty outrageous.
If you're gonna go 18 deep, might as well throw Belichick, Chip & Brian Kelly, Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin on while they're at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ASF wins Mackey award as nations top tight end. Well deserved. Dude is going to be a beast at the next level. If the Pats get a holdof him he can out up number better than Gronk.
He does seem to be the most similar to Gronk among the top TE propsects where he's actually a good blocker (Feidorowicz from Iowa could be a darkhorse there in a later round.) Eric Ebron is basically an Aaron Hernandez clone, so if wonder if the Pats would go with him over ASJ and hope Gronk stays healthy. (This is of course assuming the Pats go TE over DT or trading down again this year.) Jace Amaro looks like just a TE in name only, and I'll love it if he really is picked 1st and ASJ/Ebron slide. TE was always the position where guys come out of nowhere for the NFL though, so maybe one of the Lynch/Grimble/Jenson groups is better than people think. (And of course Lyerla is floating around as a potential UDFA stud.)

Fwiw, I'm shocked at ASJ winning it considering this was easily his worst season stats-wise - it must be some guys who really love blocking voting for it. Seems weird to have Amaro on the semifinalist list and not amongst the finalists (or winning it).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #265
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think Carolina fans would hate Dabo leaving Clemson more than Clemson fans would.

Everyone says Bama would just promote Kirby Smart anyway, but I wondered if the utter failure of Will Muschamp makes them rethink that strategy.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #266
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Everyone says Bama would just promote Kirby Smart anyway, but I wondered if the utter failure of Will Muschamp makes them rethink that strategy.

Aren't the situations completely different though? Smart will be taking over a national powerhouse and won't need to change schemes and knows most of the coaching staff. The Florida cupboard was pretty bare when Muschamp came aboard and was essentially rebuilding.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #267
digamma
Torchbearer

And Muschamp went 11-2 last year, with some of the spare parts left behind. This year was obviously a disaster, but I'm not sure it's fair to call him an utter failure just yet--though he may certainly turn out that way.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #268
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
And Muschamp went 11-2 last year, with some of the spare parts left behind. This year was obviously a disaster, but I'm not sure it's fair to call him an utter failure just yet--though he may certainly turn out that way.
Yeah. I feel like the worry is that it would be like Solich taking over for Osborne at Nebraska or Coker for Davis at Miami, where Smart experiences great initial success but cracks start showing by Year 3 and by Year 5-6 when you're looking for a new coach you're really not an elite team. Anyone expecting things to fall apart at Alabama with Smart coming in hasn't looked at that depth chart.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #269
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'll throw it out there again - Todd Graham. Obviously not an "A-lister", but he has Texas roots and was hired by Patterson at ASU.

can't happen. The written agreement between Patterson & ASU with him leaving is that he cannot hire anyone from ASU or bring anyone from ASU with him to TX this year. That would open Patterson up to a lot of litigation
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #270
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If Texas is looking for a coach, I hear Lane Kiffin might be available.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
can't happen. The written agreement between Patterson & ASU with him leaving is that he cannot hire anyone from ASU or bring anyone from ASU with him to TX this year. That would open Patterson up to a lot of litigation

That, as I heard on the radio this morning, all comes down to money. Pay ASU enough money and they will void that provision.

That said, I do believe Texas will look elsewhere for their coach.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #272
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Fwiw, I'm shocked at ASJ winning it considering this was easily his worst season stats-wise - it must be some guys who really love blocking voting for it. Seems weird to have Amaro on the semifinalist list and not amongst the finalists (or winning it).
Feels like a "career-achievement/make-up for last year" type of vote to me. ASJ's blocking improved quite a bit this year, but he had a harder time fitting in with the offense as a receiver as the Huskies went a lot more horizontal and a lot of WR's stepped up this year allowing Price to spread the wealth.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #273
Jon
High School Varsity

Bob Diaco to UConn for a 5 year deal starting at 1.5 million per.

Notre Dame has lost both coordinators to HC gigs.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #274
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

What does this mean? He's healthier than Gronk, but Gronk is a beast and was in college too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #275
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently Tosh has been recruiting for USC. If you don't know who he is, he left Cal (he's an alum) for UW and before the contract became official, he was recruiting for UW. Now he's an employee of UW and is recruiting for USC.

Classy guy
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #276
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Apparently Tosh has been recruiting for USC. If you don't know who he is, he left Cal (he's an alum) for UW and before the contract became official, he was recruiting for UW. Now he's an employee of UW and is recruiting for USC.

Classy guy
It's a bullshit report from a site trying to generate some new paying customers. The original report was already rather vague, and it's been amended to be even more vague. Tosh (through the Scout.com site) has strongly denied any such thing.

And no, he wasn't recruiting for Washington until he had been hired here.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #277
MrBug708
Head Coach

He called up Shaq Thompson and told him he was going to UW and he should join him.

And what is Tosh going to say? He's already polarized quite a few fan bases. "I only play X-Box, not cheat"
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #278
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Bob Diaco to UConn for a 5 year deal starting at 1.5 million per.

Notre Dame has lost both coordinators to HC gigs.
As a fan of New England football, I question the obsession that teams up here have about going after DC's and a smashmouth style of play. As a Notre Dame fan... I feel bad for UConn that Narduzzi turned them down. In all seriousness, I did like Diaco a lot more than OC Martin (and Molnar), but when assistants do move up the ladder with a head coach like that, it's basically impossible to identify which of the two is the successful one.
Quote:
What does this mean? He's healthier than Gronk, but Gronk is a beast and was in college too
Gronk had 75 catches for 1197 yards in 2 years of college. I don't think ASJ (or, really, anyone ever) is going to be another Gronk, but ASJ matches up really well as far as college profiles and production go.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #279
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Aren't the situations completely different though? Smart will be taking over a national powerhouse and won't need to change schemes and knows most of the coaching staff. The Florida cupboard was pretty bare when Muschamp came aboard and was essentially rebuilding.

They are somewhat different, though I would argue that in today's college football at a program like Florida you should never be worse than 6-6. They lost to Georgia Southern, that's basically inexcusable.

Last edited by Butter : 12-12-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #280
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Shaq Thompson

Hey I know that guy! 0-39 37K in rookie ball for the Red Sox.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #281
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

It means I think he has the potential to be a better player than Gronk. Not sure how else that could be interpreted.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #282
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He called up Shaq Thompson and told him he was going to UW and he should join him.
Not sure when you're alleging this. He had an in-home visit with Shaq the night before he accepted the UW job. Cal fans insist he was recruiting Shaq to UW. Shaq denies it.

Quote:
And what is Tosh going to say? He's already polarized quite a few fan bases. "I only play X-Box, not cheat"
And he's any less credible than a 3rd place recruiting network trying desperately to attract business?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #283
digamma
Torchbearer

Being reported that Saban agreed to a contract extension and that Mack Brown is staying at Texas.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #284
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Being reported that Saban agreed to a contract extension and that Mack Brown is staying at Texas.

Are you saying MBBF's sources in regards to what's going on in Texas might be wrong? I'm shocked.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #285
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Are you saying MBBF's sources in regards to what's going on in Texas might be wrong? I'm shocked.

I'm sure he's just worried about how Brown staying at Texas is going to affect PS4 sales.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #286
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure when you're alleging this. He had an in-home visit with Shaq the night before he accepted the UW job. Cal fans insist he was recruiting Shaq to UW. Shaq denies it.

And he's any less credible than a 3rd place recruiting network trying desperately to attract business?

I don't see how either you or Bug know jack about what actually happened, so what exactly is the point in arguing it?

Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #287
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm sure he's just worried about how Brown staying at Texas is going to affect PS4 sales.

Haha +1
Old 12-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #288
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

It wasn't my source. I posted a post from a source in Texas from his Twitter account. If you're going to laugh, laugh at the idiots in Texas who thought there was ever a chance that they could land Saban.

It's actually an amazing story being told by Paul Finebaum at ESPN and the guys over at the Birmingham newspaper. Crux of the story is that Saban's agent played the UT leadership for nearly a year to get him a higher paying contract at Alabama. Finebaum said yesterday that Texas should be thanking Mack Brown for the loyalty he's shown. He said the fact that Mack Brown hasn't left only makes it embarrassing for UT. If he left, they would have been a national laughing stock above and beyond the mistakes they've already made of late. Finebaum stated that Texas should be aware that they're the third best program in their state and start acting like it.

Death of the story that wouldn't die: How rumors of Nick Saban's exit from Alabama never came to pass | AL.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #289
tarcone
Coordinator

Mack Brown to resign

Mack Brown resigns as coach of Texas Longhorns - ESPN

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

That didn't take long. They're now in a very weakened position. It'll be interesting to see who decides they want to take on that 'challenge'.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #291
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

If Saban had held out another couple of days, he would have gotten $9 million a year from Alabama.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #292
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That didn't take long. They're now in a very weakened position. It'll be interesting to see who decides they want to take on that 'challenge'.

Yeah, um, no. The single most profitable program in the entire country with a considerable amount of talent and in one of the most talent-rich states for recruits.

Hardly a "very weakened" position.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #293
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yeah, um, no. The single most profitable program in the entire country with a considerable amount of talent and in one of the most talent-rich states for recruits.

Agreed.

I think Brown stuck around because the Saban rumors pissed him off and he wasn't going to be kicked to the curb quietly. I did think he would coach one more year while Texas figured out which way they wanted to go.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #294
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I think we'll be surprised how relatively low on the totem poll the selected candidate ends up. As noted before, they're currently the third best program in their state. I'd think a hire like James Franklin at Vandy would be a success at this point and just about as well as they could do. Only possible home run hire available to them would be the Auburn coach, but if they wait until after the NC game and it doesn't work out, they're going to be even further behind the eight ball.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #295
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think we'll be surprised how relatively low on the totem poll the selected candidate ends up. As noted before, they're currently the third best program in their state. I'd think a hire like James Franklin at Vandy would be a success at this point and just about as well as they could do. Only possible home run hire available to them would be the Auburn coach, but if they wait until after the NC game and it doesn't work out, they're going to be even further behind the eight ball.

I think in the long run they will be fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #296
duckman
Pro Starter

Put the crack pipe down, MBBF!
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Put the crack pipe down, MBBF!

Want it back?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #298
duckman
Pro Starter

BURN!
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”

Last edited by duckman : 12-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #299
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

So, who is the frontrunner for the job? Not really anyone in college available that would be seen as much of an upgrade. Maybe Vandy or Louisville coach? Or will they wait for Ark.St. to hire someone, then poach them?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #300
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
BURN!

I tried to deliver it at a level equal to the one given.

Here's the early options from over at UT's Rivals site. Out of the 'medium' interest options, I think only Fisher or Meyer might be interested. The candidate will most likely come from the 'low' options IMO. We'll see.

Coaching Hot Board