Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #251
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can see both sides of the argument, but the reality is defenders should know how the games are being called and not make hits, bumps, shoves, whatever you want to call it.

That makes sense.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #252
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Finley CAUGHT a pass for a TD.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 09-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #253
Jas_lov
College Starter

I loved the hit by Matthews. It set the tone for the defense, fired up the ballclub and now it's tied. Packers actually should be up 14-10 right now per Mike Peirera. Should have been 4th and 2 on the Niners 2nd TD but the refs gave them a free play. Different year, same incompetent refs screwing over GB.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #254
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can see both sides of the argument, but the reality is defenders should know how the games are being called and not make hits, bumps, shoves, whatever you want to call it.

Yeah, I'm not saying the flag shouldn't have been thrown, the rules are the rules. I'm saying that it's ridiculous that that's a penalty.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #255
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That was bush league. I'm not sure people would like me as a commish. If I were, Mathews would get an immediate ejection and a one game suspension (just like the NCAA) for a cheap shot. There was no need for that.

I mean, are the Packers really trying to get me to cheer for Jim Harbaugh now, really?

Troy, if you were commish, there would be no one left in the world that could referee a game.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #256
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I loved the hit by Matthews. It set the tone for the defense, fired up the ballclub and now it's tied. Packers actually should be up 14-10 right now per Mike Peirera. Should have been 4th and 2 on the Niners 2nd TD but the refs gave them a free play. Different year, same incompetent refs screwing over GB.

Not that I expected anything less here...
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #257
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I guess, if the tone is "We have no clue how to be professional."
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #258
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Not that I expected anything less here...

It all depends upon which side of the aisle one is on.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #259
BillJasper
Pro Starter

That's the Carson Palmer I know!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #260
RedKingGold
College Starter

I had a minimal hope for the side of sanity.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #261
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
well off to fix dinner-Carson Palmer looking good so far 11/15, 156 yards 1 TD, 0 INT. Hopefully he's still looking that good when I get back here.

Palmer throws an INT, almost returned for a TD.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #262
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quite happy I started Reggie Bush today.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #263
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm not one to complain about the NFL being turned into a sissy league. I take the exact opposite position and am all for rules to protect player safety. I simply think the NYJ-TB situation is one where they could've swallowed the flag, because the guy was not yet out of bounds and the hit was not malicious.

The Matthews play is clearly a penalty and I'm not sure how that could even be argued.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #264
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm not one to complain about the NFL being turned into a sissy league. I take the exact opposite position and am all for rules to protect player safety. I simply think the NYJ-TB situation is one where they could've swallowed the flag, because the guy was not yet out of bounds and the hit was not malicious.

The Matthews play is clearly a penalty and I'm not sure how that could even be argued.

Well, if nothing else, you're stock just went up with me.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #265
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Quite happy I started Reggie Bush today.

I wish the Dolphins had started Reggie Bush today.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #266
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I wonder if the Ravens are kicking themselves for trading Boldin?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #267
RedKingGold
College Starter

While I like the addition, it's only one game for Boldin and it seems quite clear the Packers are focusing on the run and forcing Kaepernick to throw to beat them.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #268
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Clay Matthews sacks Colin, but doesn't draw a taunting penalty?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #269
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Clay Matthews sacks Colin, but doesn't draw a taunting penalty?

Bullshit. An offensive player who scores a TD is consistently flagged for things less blatant.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #270
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

1) You celebrate a cheap shot? You can do what you want, but after seeing the impact on concussions, I'm no longer in the "cheering for a cheap shot" mode. It's bush league. In a perfect world, the douche would have been ejected from the game. I have ZERO respect for him as a player. None.

2) GB getting screwed? Seriously? GB started the brawl with the cheap shot and then a shove after the play. Somehow the shove wasn't called on the Packers, but the shove from the Niner was. I know the Packers got screwed royally last year in Seattle and a couple of other occasions, but on the play in question they should feel VERY fortunate that it wasn't 1st and goal 49ers from the 2 yard line.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #271
RedKingGold
College Starter

Hey, but the refs are biased against the Packers, right?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #272
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I picked the Niners to win the SB this year but are Niners fans going to act like this all season long?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #273
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Bullshit. An offensive player who scores a TD is consistently flagged for things less blatant.

Yes this drives me crazy. It's ridiculous that you are allowed to celebrate so much more after sacking the QB than when you score a TD.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #274
RedKingGold
College Starter

Kaepernick needs to learn just to take the check down some times, seems like he's always trying to make the big play too often.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #275
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

That probably depends on how many opposing teams brag during press conferences about all the illegal hits they're going to make.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #276
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
That probably depends on how many opposing teams brag during press conferences about all the illegal hits they're going to make.

This. In a vacuum, the Matthews play is not horrendous, but it is certainly suspicious considering his pregame comments.

I could care less about the taunting, other players do far much more after a sack.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #277
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
If people expect QB to be RB, then they should expect the consequences of being a RB.

I agree with you 1000% If a QB runs, he's treated like a running back. You can hit him low, you can hit him high, you can drill him.

On the two plays in question today, the QB' WAS treated like a running back. They were both late hits and they were treated as such. Again, people just need to look at the definition or the rule. It's unnecessary roughness. In neither case was the hitting necessary.

The idea that someone else said made me laugh. "every inch counted, blah, blah, blah. . . "

The guy wasn't preventing an inch. He wasn't forcing a fumble. He wasn't attempting to throw him in bounds to keep the clock running. No, he decided that he was going to take a two handed shove to a guy who was already out of bounds. Just like with the targeted shots garbage people say can't be prevented, I'll disagree. In fact, next week if the same situation arises, I'd bet money he decides not to give a shove in that situation.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #278
RedKingGold
College Starter

Jordy Nelson is a beast.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #279
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - that was a beaut of a catch
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #280
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Packers return men need to just take a knee.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #281
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I agree with you 1000% If a QB runs, he's treated like a running back. You can hit him low, you can hit him high, you can drill him.

On the two plays in question today, the QB' WAS treated like a running back. They were both late hits and they were treated as such. Again, people just need to look at the definition or the rule. It's unnecessary roughness. In neither case was the hitting necessary.

The idea that someone else said made me laugh. "every inch counted, blah, blah, blah. . . "

The guy wasn't preventing an inch. He wasn't forcing a fumble. He wasn't attempting to throw him in bounds to keep the clock running. No, he decided that he was going to take a two handed shove to a guy who was already out of bounds. Just like with the targeted shots garbage people say can't be prevented, I'll disagree. In fact, next week if the same situation arises, I'd bet money he decides not to give a shove in that situation.

There's no reason to make this personal. Where he pushed Smith was at the point where it would've been a 63 yard FG attempt. Smith wasn't running for the sideline (and not gaining yards while doing it), he was angling towards the sideline, picking up yards (and inches) all along the way. The referee hadn't even blown the whistle, his feet hadn't actually touched out of bound....the hit was clearly not to be a "toughguy" decleating as was suggested above (although you decide not to laugh at that)...it was a shove....to stop the forward progress and keep the FG long. If anything, it's possible that David wasn't aware of EXACTLY where Smith was in relation to the sideline was which is not an excuse, but it's much more probable that he was just trying to stop the forward progress. It has all the look of a play that could've gone either way with the flag, tbh.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #282
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
There's no reason to make this personal. Where he pushed Smith was at the point where it would've been a 63 yard FG attempt. Smith wasn't running for the sideline (and not gaining yards while doing it), he was angling towards the sideline, picking up yards (and inches) all along the way. The referee hadn't even blown the whistle, his feet hadn't actually touched out of bound....the hit was clearly not to be a "toughguy" decleating as was suggested above (although you decide not to laugh at that)...it was a shove....to stop the forward progress and keep the FG long. It has all the look of a play that could've gone either way with the flag, tbh.

Watch the play man. He didn't shove him to stop forward progress. He shoved him FORWARD 6 yards. OK, so it was diagonal, heading the Jets way. Again, watch the play, The play was over, he wasn't saving anything. Unless Smith has some superpowers I'm not aware of, the only thing happening at the end of the play would have been him stepping on the chalk. There was no logic behind the hit at all. he hit a guy who had given up on the play. it was stupid and he deserved the flag he got for it.

Again, if it's so difficult to understand a QB isn't running out of bounds in that situation, why aren't there not more plays like it? Because most guys don't have brainlock and allow it to happen.

The only difference between this guy and Rahim Moore is that Moore's idiocy wasn't illega to the rules of the game, this guy's actions were.

I would have loved the Bucs to win that game so I could laugh my ass off at the Jets. But the Jets won the game fair and square. The Bucs player needs to be smarter there. Of course, I don't know how sorry to be for him, his LB coach is Cox, who was a pure douche bag when it came to cheap shots.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #283
Atocep
Coordinator

Matthews set the tone for the Green Bay defense to hold San Francisco under 500 yards of offense.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #284
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Fantasy League: I started Kaepernick, Reggie Bush, Demaryus Thomas, Jermichael Finley…I have 180 pts. Next team in league has 137.

Way to blow my wad in week 1.

Colts-Raiders: Was at the game. Pryor looked impressive running the ball and made a few good throws. If he learns to look off safeties (although Bethea is great and just read the play well) he might be a good QB for the Raiders going forward. Damn fun game.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #285
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
it seems quite clear the Packers are focusing on the run and forcing Kaepernick to throw to beat them.

Oops. I understand why Baltimore dumped Boldin, but it was painfully obvious what the net result was going to be.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #286
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Watch the play man. He didn't shove him to stop forward progress. He shoved him FORWARD 6 yards. OK, so it was diagonal, heading the Jets way. Again, watch the play, The play was over, he wasn't saving anything. Unless Smith has some superpowers I'm not aware of, the only thing happening at the end of the play would have been him stepping on the chalk. There was no logic behind the hit at all. he hit a guy who had given up on the play. it was stupid and he deserved the flag he got for it.

Again, if it's so difficult to understand a QB isn't running out of bounds in that situation, why aren't there not more plays like it? Because most guys don't have brainlock and allow it to happen.

The only difference between this guy and Rahim Moore is that Moore's idiocy wasn't illega to the rules of the game, this guy's actions were.

I would have loved the Bucs to win that game so I could laugh my ass off at the Jets. But the Jets won the game fair and square. The Bucs player needs to be smarter there. Of course, I don't know how sorry to be for him, his LB coach is Cox, who was a pure douche bag when it came to cheap shots.

Again, the call was right based on the NFL stupid rules regarding QBs, but you honestly believe it's because the LB had been trained to be a douchebag? Seriously, it was a shove to stop his forward progress. Here is where the contact was initiated. And keep in mind that the only thing that ever touched the QB was the LB's hand. It was not some sort of douchebag blasting of the QB. Why doesn't the referee blow the whistle earlier?

Last edited by Dutch : 09-08-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #287
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Fantasy League: I started Kaepernick, Reggie Bush, Demaryus Thomas, Jermichael Finley…I have 180 pts. Next team in league has 137.

Way to blow my wad in week 1.

Colts-Raiders: Was at the game. Pryor looked impressive running the ball and made a few good throws. If he learns to look off safeties (although Bethea is great and just read the play well) he might be a good QB for the Raiders going forward. Damn fun game.

That's unreal given how many points Peyton surely got somebody.

Last edited by rowech : 09-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #288
Dutch
"Dutch"

And here is the infraction in motion. To me and my biased mind, this just looks like a shove to get him out of bounds. Remember, it's a 10 yard gain at this point and the LB is desperate to stop the forward progress...I don't see where he looks to be taking a cheap-shot.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK, all the scrub games are out of the way, time for the main event!!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #290
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I think SNF opening could've used Miley, instead of Carrie for the opening.
Tongue wagging and foam fingers could've been a nice touch.

*I write this in jest though*
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #291
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay have returned and caught up here-all I can do in response to my beloved Cards losing is *sigh* Looks like another long season where they rack up the most sacks given up again. Carson Palmer did a better job dealing with it than the revolving door at the position the past three seasons did, but still had some pretty bad throws in the second half. Mendenhall gave them some semblance of a running game as well.

Honeybadger had some nice plays-that stripping of a sure Rams TD in the first quarter-but got burned too, and was lucky not to be called for a late-hit unnecessary roughness penalty late in the 4th quarter. But the offensive line with the Cooper injury is pretty much the same as it was last season and Levi Brown just should not be a Left Tackle.

And oh look they get to face the Lions next week-over/under on sacks given up?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #292
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

that was not a good begining
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #293
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats more like it!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #294
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow 0 double tos?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #295
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
If people expect QB to be RB, then they should expect the consequences of being a RB.

Did you watch the play, or are you just being cantankerous? He was out of bounds when Matthews left his feet. That is a shit play, no matter what.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #296
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A win is a win, GO RAMS!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #297
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Okay have returned and caught up here-all I can do in response to my beloved Cards losing is *sigh* Looks like another long season where they rack up the most sacks given up again. Carson Palmer did a better job dealing with it than the revolving door at the position the past three seasons did, but still had some pretty bad throws in the second half. Mendenhall gave them some semblance of a running game as well.

Honeybadger had some nice plays-that stripping of a sure Rams TD in the first quarter-but got burned too, and was lucky not to be called for a late-hit unnecessary roughness penalty late in the 4th quarter. But the offensive line with the Cooper injury is pretty much the same as it was last season and Levi Brown just should not be a Left Tackle.

And oh look they get to face the Lions next week-over/under on sacks given up?

6-7?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #298
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
A win is a win, GO RAMS!

Is it KC, Rams or both?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Going to bed now
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #300
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Eli, Tom Coughlin would like to have a word with you.