Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #251
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some help, please?

I have signed up for the Blackdagger forums, I can see my name on the "membership list," but am unable to sign on. I suspect they sent me an emil, but I either missed it or did not receive it.

When I request to haev my password resat and mailed to me, I am told:

Sorry, but your password cannot be retrieved because your account is currently inactive. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

At this point, I have searched in vain for a "forum administrator."

Does anyone here know whom I need to contact about this? I cannot read the "in character" forums without being signed in, and currently stil cannot do so. It's getting a bit silly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:17 PM   #252
Bee
Pro Starter

I think you can email avlis AT blackdagger.com
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:59 PM   #253
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I was traveling in the outer sewers when my PC partner taunted one of the clerics, who then initiated combat. Since he was then attacking us, we fought him, and then took his (valuable) stuff. There were other clerics around later on, but we did not get in their way.

Clerics have NO sense of humor.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:22 PM   #254
Daimyo
College Starter

FWIW, I read somewhere that a taunt is considered an act of combat equal to an attack.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #255
QuikSand
lolzcat

Regardless of "class" Fritz is always a hooligan.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #256
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

An update on my fine and punishment:

Well Hornace had to pay 5000 gold for trespassing and has another punishment yet to be determined.

The servers have had some trouble lately and it seemed it was getting cleared up then boom it happened again.

I personally dont mind the XP thing and I also spend a lot of downtime roleplaying Hornace. I made a simple character background for Hornace which goes something like this:

Hornace was a member of the Dola tribe which was a group of miners in a land far east. The tribe was ambushed and killed by vampires but Hornace was spared. Since I enjoy mining anyways, it suits me fine.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of "gods" to worship but I havent decided which one yet. They are minor deities, one of them is the god of warriors I forget his name at the moment. I figure the more I learn about the world, then I will make an educated decision. Some of the few orcs I see on the server serve Valok(?) but it doesnt suit Hornace's persona.

I think eventually I will join the Tnanshi army when I get some more levels which will take a long time.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #257
Daimyo
College Starter

Is ingame Fritz chaotic neutral? I love the way you play him if he is.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #258
KWhit
Coordinator

I have often been a member of the dola tribe myself.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #259
QuikSand
lolzcat

Went to the wilderness this evening... when visiting The Way, I went into the building with the merchants, and when I was done, the door wouldn't work to get out. So, I'm trapped.

Cannot do anything in the wild, cannot sign on to another server for an hour... guess I take the night off. They're making it tough to keep the faith here.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:13 PM   #260
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey GB,

Saw your post here and on the Avlis board about Sh'ael being really dead. As in quit the game dead? Lovely. I think what I should do is to go run up to everybody at that meeting they are going to have about the lich. Give them something to really worry about.

The cure requires eating 25 (or more) of a particular seed and 25 (or more) of something else-don't have my notes with me here. To the best of my knowledge you can only get these things from a vendor or whomever in the thief tunnels. I've never been there or know how to get into them nor do I know the prices. Don't worry about it, sooner or later someone will give me the cure. Though I have to say I'm a bit peeved that only one person out of the "established" players has offered to help. By established I mean players who've been there longer than us FOFC'ers and love to post on the boards all day about how good they are.

Thanks for offering to help, I appreciate it.

Quik,
Any update on your forum situation? I'll be glad to post for you on the board to ask for help for you if that will help at all.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:15 PM   #261
Daimyo
College Starter

Go to the Temple of Gorethar and hang out there until someone cures you... they're LG, they have to cure you right?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:15 PM   #262
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Is ingame Fritz chaotic neutral? I love the way you play him if he is.

I picked NG, but have been playing him more of a NG/CG. Sometimes you don't know how you are going to play until you do. The server is not flexible enough to deal with that.

I haven't really done much of a back story, but I do have one for the green beard.

The "Fritz" character takes a little from here and there. He likes bright colors, and frequently comments on peoples dress. He likes bad jokes, is spontaneous, and is curious. He is prone to exaggeration (have not played this up yet) but has a good heart. He generally approves of law and order, but not THIS law and order (Mikona). He rejects the current power structures as illegitimate (OoG) because they seem to have lost their way.

holy shit. I'm playing me!
Old 05-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #263
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
I went into the building with the merchants, and when I was done, the door wouldn't work to get out. So, I'm trapped.

This happens when the server is having problems.

yes, the fait his getting hard to keep...
Old 05-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #264
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Go to the Temple of Gorethar and hang out there until someone cures you... they're LG, they have to cure you right?

You would think that wouldn't you?

I finally got fed up with sitting outside town and only have one person with the cure willing to help. (GB was willing too of course). So I decided to run into the City Gate Inn screaming frantically about the Spite being after me. There was a good five or more players in there at the time. I ran right through the middle of the main room screaming that the Spite was after me...and people just kept right on talking as if I wasn't there, except for one person who "cocked an eyebrow".

So I kept hollering and finally a player or two came up to me, the one who cocked an eyebrow I believe, and someone who was talking to Gloknall (the high mucky-mucky of Gorethar) cast a spell to increase my endurance so I could make more of my saves. The guy who cocked an eyebrow told me I needed to seek out Timo Karr for the cure. Gloknall said, "Is that man infected?" and then went back to his conversation. I sent a tell to Timo, but I got no response, I think he might have lost his connection though as he logged off shortly after I sent the message and came back on a couple minutes later.

So Fritz how's that for roleplaying? Someone runs in screaming about the Spite, a highly infectious disease, and no one made a move to get away from me, and for a couple minutes or so, to help me either. I'm beginning to think we should all create elf characters and reduce Mikona to steaming piles of rubble.

There my character may not feel better, but I do now that I got that off my chest.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:36 PM   #265
ACStrider
High School JV

Fritz...I find your character compellingly funny...though we would probably be at odds on MANY issues (Arena that is of course)

Last edited by ACStrider : 05-19-2003 at 11:40 PM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:16 AM   #266
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
Hey GB,

Saw your post here and on the Avlis board about Sh'ael being really dead. As in quit the game dead? Lovely. I think what I should do is to go run up to everybody at that meeting they are going to have about the lich. Give them something to really worry about.

Sh'ael sent me a PM saying that once his character really dies he stops playing him/her, and starts a new one. Hardcore. So he's still in the game, but apparently will start from level one again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
The cure requires eating 25 (or more) of a particular seed and 25 (or more) of something else-don't have my notes with me here. To the best of my knowledge you can only get these things from a vendor or whomever in the thief tunnels. I've never been there or know how to get into them nor do I know the prices. Don't worry about it, sooner or later someone will give me the cure. Though I have to say I'm a bit peeved that only one person out of the "established" players has offered to help. By established I mean players who've been there longer than us FOFC'ers and love to post on the boards all day about how good they are.

Post the types of stuff to eat if you can find out. What thief tunnels? Godbolt has nothing important to do, so maybe he can help. Maybe the stuff can be found naturally, in which case I can go try to pick some. Hell, maybe we could have an FOFC herb-picking party.

I'd offer the services of my elf wizard Godwillian, too, but he had to flee Mikona; I almost got in two or three fights with other PCs (all in character and well done, I thought). The war really has them on edge.

I ended up taking a boat to the TNanshi shoreline, then joining up with a powerful wizard who tried to get me through the woods to the town. I'm such a rookie though. I ran off the trail to pick some kind of berry, and got jumped by some nasty Druid thingies. Fireworks started flying everywhere, and I hightailed it out of there, but the wizard jumped in to fight. I realized that honor required I turn back to help, but then I got hit again with a game freezing, two-time reboot system crash, and when I logged back in I was in the town of TNanshi and no other players were on the server. Major bummer. I felt bad, too. The guy must have blown 1,000gp on potions and scrolls to make me invisible. Couldn't even find him to say thanks, and now I forgot his character's name.

Four major crashes tonight and lots of lag time-outs. I think I'll update my video card drivers tomorrow to see if that helps. The game is great, but two-plus crashes an hour would get old fast.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:38 AM   #267
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Remember, you have an actual thief among you.

If anyone needs something from the thief tunnels that I can sneak out or that is not in area I am too weak to go into, I can get it for you. If it is with the black market merchants, though, I have to admit I don't recall seeing much in the way of seeds or plants or berries or what not.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #268
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, I believe the "thief tunnels" are the underground passages that travel from the Rompin' Romini's bath houses (and perhaps from other places as well). I've tried everything I can, and cannot get down there - but I saw someone else go there, and I know he had at least some rogue levels.

Chief Rum, if you're volunteering, I suspect you'd find a number of us interested in black market purchases from down there. Any light you can shed on what's there would be helpful... I have cash to spare for useful items.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #269
NAIWF
College Prospect

I'm guessing I may have accidentally deleted the e-mail I've been waiting for, but I can't seem to find the application again, if one of you guys could kindly direct me to that link, I'd really appreciate it. Yes, I am that stupid
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #270
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

avlis.blackdagger.com
Old 05-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #271
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

taking lalaland too seriously

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=14249
Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #272
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm certainly not against helping you guys with that, but in reality there's not much available down there that you can't find anywhere else. There are a handful of really (and I mean REALLY) pricey magic items with one dealer, but most of the rest are selling stuff you can get above ground. The thing I use them for most is buying potions, which they seem to have a ton of. That helps a lot on quests and such. There is also a guy down there I haven't foiund anywhere else which sells thiefly items--no interest to you guys, of course. And then there's a little tavern down there, too (no one ever in it except for a bartender), and the bartender sells illicit drinks and drugs.

Also, going down there may be a risk to my health. I am not a member of the rogue's guild yet, and I have already been told by a member that they consider the area guild territory and warns of "repercussions" if I go down there a lot. So I am very careful when I am down there, and would not want to make repeated trips a lot (I try to doa lot of spree shopping ).

Anyway, if it's a critical item or one that can't be found elsewhere, I'll help you out, but if it's something relatively common, I would recommend you stick to above-ground sources.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #273
Bee
Pro Starter

I have a character who is currently living down in the thieves tunnels...if anyone needs something from down there I'd be willing to get it for you (for a small profit ).
Old 05-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #274
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thomkal: Do you know what you have to eat to get rid of the disease?

Anyone having any luck getting onto the Elysia server? I've had no luck getting on for the past two days.

Patched my graphics card drivers and that may be helping. No crashes in an hour spent exploring Le'Or T'Nanshi this afternoon.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #275
Thomkal
Head Coach

GB,

They are apparantly having massive problems with some of the servers today.

As for Thomkal's (and Pollio's) continual plight, I have kept in contact with Sha'el the player who was going to give me the cure. He has an alt and wants to give me the cure, but prefers it stay all IC. He asked who he might give the cure to in case I wasn't online at the time. I mentioned both you and Chief Rum, so if you encounter or get a tell from a Sh'Arlemayne or Tsuomaa, its because he has the cure for me and hopefully Pollio.

The cure is 25 (or more) of Brownsmoke seeds, to be eaten first followed by 25 (or more) bloodfury crystals. 25 may not be enough, you won't know until after you've taken the additional doses. This appears to be a human only disease-there is a very small chance a non-human will catch it. I don't know if these seeds or crystals can be acquired elsewhere (and possibly created through alchemy). The only reliable place to find them that I know them is from a vendor in the tunnels.

Thanks for your help in this,
Dan
Old 05-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #276
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

pretty sure the brownsmoke seends can be found up by Elysia.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 PM   #277
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thomkal,

See the IC thread.

Pollio has the disease too?

Damn. I'll see what I can do.

Had a blast tonight in Elysia trying to find a cure. Played Godbolt (level 3 human fighter) in Elysia. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Like being in a Indiana Jones movie. Went from one near death experience to another out in the wilderness (level 3 fighters should not be in the wilderness alone), and just made it through them all. Kept running into obstacle after obstacle, and managed to just get around them, mostly with the very timely help of others. This game rocks. The elves are giving my character a hard time, but overall they're not as nasty to humans as the humans are to elves in Mikona. Godbolt has got a better sense of humor than my elf character, so that seems to help.

Patched drivers may help to stop the crashes (only one time-out in three hours tonight after patching this afternoon). Great gaming.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:06 AM   #278
ACStrider
High School JV

GB - We should team up sometime in the wilderness. I just joined the AKN guild (alchemy in case you didn't know) so I'm going to start wanting to work on my potion making skills. If you're familiar with the area, you can show me around. Nearly all of my time to this point has been in Mikona with a little bit in the Wilderness. When I went in the Wilderness, I had some guides, though, so I didn't really see where we were going. I'm now pretty familiar with Elysia after spending an entire day basically making a map. I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a level 5 bard to help you out on your journeys.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #279
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

getting rid of healing potions?

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=14331
Old 05-21-2003, 11:08 AM   #280
NAIWF
College Prospect

I just re-submitted my application. Hopefully I'll be up and running by the weekend as I have a Stats Final on Friday that I should probably study for
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #281
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
getting rid of healing potions?

Nah, but there are some pretty good points in that thread.

I agree generally, that the two biggest "balance" problems with NWN generally and Avlis specifically are:

-relative ease of acquiring healing (potions, kits, and especially rest)

-relative strength and duration of summoned creatures and companions
Old 05-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #282
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I dont agree that either are ballance issues. The summoned creatures do not create a serious advantage, and healing products are pretty darned essential.

I think their is a issue with the ease with which some magic items flow. Look at most standing characters and they seem resistant to most things. This is so common as to be almost a function of character level.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #283
QuikSand
lolzcat

I guess I just make comparisons back to PnP games. I recall spending lots of time marhcing around with half my HP and low on spells... because resting to get healthy was a real chore. Clerics were ever-important for that reason.

In this milieu, anyone can sit down for two minutes and fully heal themselves of all wounds and totally refresh spells. I know Avlis restricts resting in many areas - but to me, that's just too easy. If you can continually recharge (even with the four hour limit) it just takes the edge off any sense of economizing.

Same with Avlis' sense of "lots of gold, but very little magic." When you can just go up and buy potions for 30-60gp at a time - why not buy and hold 10 or 20 or more of them. Again - playing PnP, I corralled my potions, and used them sparingly, because there was never a wide open market to simply walk around and buy them for modest cash. (Not to mention healing kits, making everyone with a few gold pieces into a cleric)

As for summoned creatures - how long does the creature stay around in the PnP game? A few turns? Long enough for one combat, perhaps? In the NWN computer game, it's basically forever. So, every spellcaster character (supposedly having their powers offset by the inability to be effective in combat) gets a perpetual and solid combatant at his side. I guess it's a matter of starting point, but when compared to the PnP game, this just seems like a huge shift. It may or may not be good for playability in the computer world, but in my view it really lessens the value of characters who don't benefit from these skills.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #284
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Sure, but this off sets abstraction in terms of time, distance, range to encounter, respawn, etc... In PnP I am stingy as both a player and DM, but NWN moves at a different tempo.

In 3rd ed PnP you recover 1hp + const bonus per DAY spent doing nothing but resting. Obviously something has to change for playability.

Quote:
I guess I just make comparisons back to PnP games. I recall spending lots of time marhcing around with half my HP and low on spells... because resting to get healthy was a real chore. Clerics were ever-important for that reason.

In this milieu, anyone can sit down for two minutes and fully heal themselves of all wounds and totally refresh spells. I know Avlis restricts resting in many areas - but to me, that's just too easy. If you can continually recharge (even with the four hour limit) it just takes the edge off any sense of economizing.

Most "summons" are for a round per level (I think). I think the druid and ranger's animal friends are more like the game.

The PnP game also lets you bring multiple summons, or have multiple animal friends. More importantly, the duration was increased so that spellcasters could adventure alone. I hardly feel for the melee type characters who don't benift from this. The mage types get few HP, little to no AC adjustment, and can do minor damage in combat. For playability they must have some sort of "hitter." The BG series is closer to PnP than NWN in terms of summoning, but then the BG series was designed for a 6 man party while playing the solo campaign.

I just don't see it as a problem.

Quote:

As for summoned creatures - how long does the creature stay around in the PnP game? A few turns? Long enough for one combat, perhaps? In the NWN computer game, it's basically forever. So, every spellcaster character (supposedly having their powers offset by the inability to be effective in combat) gets a perpetual and solid combatant at his side. I guess it's a matter of starting point, but when compared to the PnP game, this just seems like a huge shift. It may or may not be good for playability in the computer world, but in my view it really lessens the value of characters who don't benefit from these skills.

to be fair, we all have our gripes. My big one has to do with magic items.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:41 PM   #285
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ACStrider
GB - We should team up sometime in the wilderness. I just joined the AKN guild (alchemy in case you didn't know) so I'm going to start wanting to work on my potion making skills. If you're familiar with the area, you can show me around. Nearly all of my time to this point has been in Mikona with a little bit in the Wilderness. When I went in the Wilderness, I had some guides, though, so I didn't really see where we were going. I'm now pretty familiar with Elysia after spending an entire day basically making a map. I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a level 5 bard to help you out on your journeys.

That would be fun, but if you're at level 5 you're going first. I'll be right behind you with my level 3 fighter.

I would love to get some people together to explore the wilderness. I'd also like to try to get a few people together to try for some of the more difficult signature quests, which it sounds like you've already done. There is some boar dung I need to get in a cave south of Elysia, and some ore from a cave north. I'm guessing that those would be fun to do in groups of two or three, and I don't think imagine they are too dangerous. However, I really don't know much about the wilderness, despite spending a couple of hours there last night. I pretty much spent the whole time in four sectors, either fighting/running for my life or talking with people that just saved it. So I don't have a good idea for where stuff is. A mapping expedition would be fun, though.

Along the lines of making the game more interesting, I've been trying to play my characters more along the lines of "if you're dead, you're dead", as in "game over for that character", so I've been really cutting things on the conservative side. If I see something that might kill me, I run to fight another day, unless it would be out of character to abandon companions. So far so good. I've only gone under three times, and all three managed to get revived without going to a death corpse. Quiksand got me pretty close to total death, though, when he punched that fairy. Playing this way really has made the solo ventures into the wilderdness pretty tense.

Also, how do you join the AKN? I need more alchemy knowledge if I am going to try and make the Spite cure.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:47 PM   #286
Daimyo
College Starter

In all the PnP games I played I don't think any of my DM's ever had healing potions for sale in stores... we would find a few here and there and they were always a treasured thing! In PnP, doesn't each potion require some cleric or mage type spend a full day + XP loss to create? Are there factories in Mikona full of migrant cleric workers slaving away producing all these potions?

In PnP, my friends and I certainly didn't use them in the way they're used in Avlis either... I can't imagine in PnP gulping down a potion in the middle of a fight! "Okay, I'm going to try my best to avoid the Ogre's sword while I reach in my backup, grab one of the 30 potions of cure serious wounds and gulp it down" (wouldn't that at least grant the opponent an attack of opportunity?) When we used them it was always between combat to recoup from the last battle....

Then again, I also never once soloed in PnP...
Old 05-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #287
Daimyo
College Starter

How does crafting/alchemy work? I don't see any skill related to it... can druid/fighters not learn it at all?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #288
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
How does crafting/alchemy work? I don't see any skill related to it... can druid/fighters not learn it at all?

The little I know is this...

You'll want to buy a "Book of Tradeskills" (or something like that). When you "use" that, it shows you your experience at a number of trades. I think the bookstore in Elysia sells them.

I'm not sure how all the skills work, but it seems that they center around dropping things into the related crafting item, closing the screen, and selecting the thing you would like to make from the pop-up dialog box. For example, for alchemy, you click on an alchemist's workshop table, put a few items in it, and close it. A dialog box springs up, asking you what you want to try to make, and giving an approximate difficulty for making that particular item. You select an item, then you get another dialog box that tells you whether you've succeeded or failed. If you don't have the correct items, they'll still be on the table, so there's no risk to failure, except when you have the correct items and fail due to incompetence. In that case, you do lose your items.

I'm guessing all the general skills work this way. Carpentry must use the sawhorse. Blacksmithy must use the forge, etc. The other skills, I'm not so sure.

The hard part seems to be getting all the combinations correct, and building up enough skill to actually make useful things.

I did find a book on weapons crafting that lists lots of good combinations for weapons, but have yet to find anything similar for potions, etc.

Some other confusing things...

There seems to be two tools (table and a bath) in the alchemist's shop, and I'm wondering if some things don't require a two-step process, or different equipment makes different things. Same thing with the blacksmith.

Also, from conversations with other players, it seems that the combinations to make certain items gets changed every once in a while, making it necessary to keep studying to keep your skill useful.

All in all, it looks like a pretty interesting game within a game.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #289
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
In PnP, my friends and I certainly didn't use them in the way they're used in Avlis either... I can't imagine in PnP gulping down a potion in the middle of a fight! "Okay, I'm going to try my best to avoid the Ogre's sword while I reach in my backup, grab one of the 30 potions of cure serious wounds and gulp it down"

Actualy, no. NWN is HARSHER on potion use than PnP (3ed). Drinking a potion is a partial action, which means you can still make a partial move or perform any other partial action like swing a weapon (not multiple attacks though). The requirement is for the potion to be handy. The example shown in Swoed and Fist has a fighter with one tucked into a belt. I am guessing the potion is about test tube sized. NWN makes it a full round action.

The NWN problem is the quickbar/invantory access system. In NWN you can pretty much do anything in a single combat round but change clothes.

The easiest thing to do in NWN would be to make potions have a .5 of 1 lb weight and to only allow 1 in a given quickbar slot. Also, items in containers should not be allowed slotting. I keep almost everything in bags and slot from them.

In the old AD&D days having more than one potion in your system was a setup for ill things. That might help with the "buff up" potions.

Last edited by Fritz : 05-21-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:33 PM   #290
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
The little I know is this...
All in all, it looks like a pretty interesting game within a game.

IMHO this is poorly implemented.

Item crafting is a FEAT in 3rd ed and one of the reasons that Wizards get so many feat slots. Depending on the item, there are SKILLS that may also be required. In PnP chosing feats and skills that allow item creation means you must sacrifice others.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:52 PM   #291
Daimyo
College Starter

So anyone can craft in Avlis, and everyone starts equally (with 0 XP in that skill)? Does it cost real XP (as opposed to tradeskill XP) to make powerful items? Do you get real XP for making things?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #292
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Fritz: Please keep in mind that I'm speaking from largely a position of ignorance. I'm sure there's more to it than I understand. I can see your point though. Never having played PnP, I'm coming at if from a different perspective, I guess.

One of the things that I've always found limiting though, in some role-playing systems, is the boundaries of classes, and the blocking of certain types of weapons, armor, skills, to certain classes of characters. I really enjoyed Daggerfall and Morrowind's skill-building systems though, which give advantages at certain attributes to certain types of characters, but basically allow a character to take all paths. The more you perform a certain action, the better you get at it. Want to make your wizard proficient at archery? Get him a bow and arrow and start using it in combat. In this sense, I like the apparent freedom of Avlis' skill system: the more you mess with alchemy, the better you get at it, and anyone can give it a go. There are enough trades, and enough complexity to each one, that getting good at them all is probably very difficult, but I like the idea that my fighter can dig in at an alchemist's table and try to figure things out. I think that could lend to a greater variety of characters.

Daimyo: As far as I understand it, I think you're right on your first question. It doesn't seem to cost XP to make something, but I'm not sure on this one, as I was only able to make one basic item. I got 4xp for making grainshot, and my alchemy skill went up by four points as well. If I remember correctly
Old 05-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #293
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

GB - understood. I love the daggerfall/morrowind system. My only complaint is that higher level players are every class, more or less.

With Avlis - not sure if the tradeskill system rely on things like INT, but they should.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #294
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
GB - understood. I love the daggerfall/morrowind system. My only complaint is that higher level players are every class, more or less.

Good point. I can see how omnipotent characters would be even more of a problem with multiplayer games.

Quote:
With Avlis - not sure if the tradeskill system rely on things like INT, but they should.

This is an excellent idea. To make it even more interesting, maybe each skill should be dependant on an appropriate attribute? Blacksmithy should be strength, carpentry could be dexterity, etc. That would in essence give certain characters advantages over others, but allow anyone to pursue any path. I wonder if the system actually works this way now? Be interesting to see as we learn more.

I found the thread on blackdagger about the AKN, and have asked to join.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #295
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey GB,

Saw your posts here and on the Avlis boards. You may have come up with an alternate cure, but just wanted to let you know that if so its one nobody knows about or at least has posted about. I hope it works. Sha'el's player is on the lookout for both you and Chief Rum, and noted that he's seen Chief be in the game at the same time as him a lot, so be on the lookout Chief.

I'm glad you are getting some quality roleplaying and fun out it all though.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:45 AM   #296
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

AC: Sorry, kept crashing at the end there. I gave up.

Um, PM me if you don't hear from that person about that stuff.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:29 AM   #297
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

On the AKN

I was invited to join but have decided against it. My reason is fairly simple: In a world with finite mysteries, an organization like the AKN takes away some of the joy of discovery. I would like to know how to make more things, but tracking down that information will be part of the process. The AKN is like a metagame spoiler.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:36 AM   #298
Bee
Pro Starter

I think Fritz mentioned before about the roleplaying being a little stereotypical and stale. I have to agree. I've spent the entire time online trying to find people to "roleplay" with, but it seems there isn't anything like that going on. Every encounter with other players seems to go along the same lines. Introduction. Offer to join group. Go kill stuff until I grow bored and leave.

Maybe I just haven't met any of the folks who actually do anything other than the obligatory roleplaying required to justify their leveling. Perhaps the higher level players are more into the "roleplaying" part since they've already accomplished much of the leveling?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:55 AM   #299
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

shoot, I feel like I have topped out at 8th level. So hard to get exp....

I may create another character and complete base his personality on the comic book version of the Tick.

Wet One? Want a Wet One? How about a Wet One? You look like you could use a Wet One.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:59 AM   #300
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

more on roleplaying

a few days ago I was with HFP and some mid to high levelers in the underdark. While at a resting point I went to partake of a mellowsmoke leaf. Instead of making me blow smoke the leaf "confused me."

My 8th level gnome mage started to punch (no weapons in hand) one of the 14th level ish OoG types. She nicely hacked me to bits. Lawfull good paladin my ass....