Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Now the question is, will they talk him out of going on his mission? He turns 18 he is eligible to go now. He is taking about going right out. If so, I doubt he signs a letter for anyone and heads out. Doesn't mean much for BYU because if he is going to choose USC now, he will when he gets back.

UCLA will probably encourage him to go on mission actually. They have shown with Xavier Sua Filo that they are fine with players going on mission, and have made the same indications to Mama throughout his recruitment. Keep in mind, it actually works out pretty well for UCLA for Mama to go on mission, either right away or after 2014, because they have very limited scholies for a deep 2015 class in the West, and they already have plenty of depth on the line and in the interior in particular.

USC, on the other hand, has always worked hard to convince its recruits to pass on their mission, and it has been suggested that their continued efforts to do so with Mama has at least put the nugget in his head to consider other options (BYU, UCLA).

All that said, it is my belief that this is actually bad for UCLA. Because I don't think Mama will actually go full bore and decide to commit to UCLA, and he won't commit to BYU if he doesn't officially visit there. So he will end up at USC, regardless of the mission issue. BYU was the best chance, IMO, that UCLA had of getting the 5 star guard out of the hands of the Trojies.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #252
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quick likely won't be taking his UCLA visit this weekend.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #253
MrBug708
Head Coach

Possibly. He has an in home visit still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #254
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I thought that was last week?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #255
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I thought that was last week?

UCLA WR coach Eric Yarber is going to see him today.

You can have more than one in home. Only the HC is restricted from more than one visit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #256
vex
Grizzled Veteran

So, Tee Shepard may sign with Mississippi State, somehow.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #257
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Boise State has lost 12 commitments so far and BYU, we have lost several as well as the guys we targeted early were then recruited last minute by some of the bigger programs. The fan boards are not nice about it.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #258
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So funny story making the rounds with UCLA and LSU.

UCLA is bringing out three Louisiana recruits, Scout #1 WR Malachi Dupre, 4 star LB Kenny Young and soft LSU commit 4 star DE Davon Godchaux out for an official visit this weekend (the last one before the dead period and NSD next Wednesday).

The three of them fly out together for the OV--and find LSU QB coach Cam Cameron in the seat next to them. That's right, LSU tracked down their flight and out Cameron on the flight, too. They also scheduled his return flight to match the recruits.

Ostensibly, he's going out to SoCal to visit Adoree Jackson. Realistically, of course, LSU is trying to go creeper level to get these recruits to pick/stay with LSU.

Another funny recruiting story...

The #1 OLB Rashaan Evans out of Auburn, Alabama is naturally being heavily recruited by both Auburn and Alabama. His family is having a massive family/friends party for his grandfather's birthday on Saturday, right before the start of the dead period. Malzahn and Bama DC Kirby Smart will apparently both be in attendance. Can you say awkward?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #259
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
The Admin on the OU board is up to 99.9% on Quick to OU. He never gives odds like that. Almost wonder if he's a silent commit.
Kelly flew out for an in-home visit with him, so he must think he still has a chance. Not that WR is an area of need, but never hurts to add a talent like that.

Apparently we're also going head to head with OU for DT Courtney Garnett. His name basically surfaced for the first time Tuesday, he committed to OU Wednesday, and then scheduled an official visit to Notre Dame on Thursday.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #260
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Boise State has lost 12 commitments so far and BYU, we have lost several as well as the guys we targeted early were then recruited last minute by some of the bigger programs. The fan boards are not nice about it.

The sad part is, Boise probably got a better class overall because of it. I am not too concerned about our losses outside of Cedric Dale. Happy that it is down to us and USC for Damien Mama, though BYU is still an obvious long shot. If we could steal him and land former Oregon commit Devon Blackmon at WR it would make it all better.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #261
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Awesome story Chief.

Odd that UCLA is recruiting Louisiana. Has this always been the case? I knew they were heavy in Texas but LA is surprising to me.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Awesome story Chief.

Odd that UCLA is recruiting Louisiana. Has this always been the case? I knew they were heavy in Texas but LA is surprising to me.

7th in terms of producing D1 signees over the last 6 years (08-13)

Maybe they're just trying to tap a new resource for them, their current roster lists 0 players from the state (I also checked USC's roster, they have 1, their punter)
Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #263
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Mora is a name that resonates in the South a bit, it seems, because of his father as the Saints coach for so long, and for his own time with the Falcons. He still has a lot of connections out there.

Like Jon says, Lousiana is a sneaky good source of elite talent, and since UCLA is already so heavy in Texas, it's not too much of stretch for them to jump over to LA. Dupri and Young go to powerhouse school John Curtis Christian, as well, which is a good school to get in good with and a school UCLA got some lower end recruits from way back in the Dorrell days.

UCLA has gone national for many of its recruits under this staff, when you think of it, so that seems to be a staff directive.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #264
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Speaking of, CR and Bug, either of you thinking of making the trip in September to the Texas-UCLA game at Jerry's World? I hoping to get tickets through my uncle, since Cowboys season ticket holders can get tickets to other events at the stadium.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #265
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
The sad part is, Boise probably got a better class overall because of it. I am not too concerned about our losses outside of Cedric Dale. Happy that it is down to us and USC for Damien Mama, though BYU is still an obvious long shot. If we could steal him and land former Oregon commit Devon Blackmon at WR it would make it all better.

Well, I was surprised Mama decided to keep the visit this weekend.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #266
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Speaking of, CR and Bug, either of you thinking of making the trip in September to the Texas-UCLA game at Jerry's World? I hoping to get tickets through my uncle, since Cowboys season ticket holders can get tickets to other events at the stadium.

I have certainly thought about it, but haven't gone much further than that. It would be fun to get a group going though. And I have never been to Dallas.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #267
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I was surprised Mama decided to keep the visit this weekend.

Did he go back to his BYU visit plan?

UCLA pretty much found out Mama wasn't all that serious about UCLA and pulled his OV offer (Mama got wind of the big plans UCLA had for this visit, and wanted to partake). He had cancelled his BYU trip when he first said he would go to UCLA this weekend, but I didn't hear anything else after UCLA turned him away.

Everything I have heard continues to be that he is a strong USC lean.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #268
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The sad part is, Boise probably got a better class overall because of it.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure the star ratings are lower now for the class; plus, you think Harsin is a better evaluator of talent than Petersen?

Quote:
I am not too concerned about our losses outside of Cedric Dale. Happy that it is down to us and USC for Damien Mama, though BYU is still an obvious long shot. If we could steal him and land former Oregon commit Devon Blackmon at WR it would make it all better.
Biggins is reporting that USC and Washington are both strong threats to flip Fred Warner.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #269
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Thought about it. Also the Virginia game but I have a feeling I might just go to the Arizona state game
Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 PM   #270
MrBug708
Head Coach

Any more info on Baker? Some talk he could commit to ucla today
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #271
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Any more info on Baker? Some talk he could commit to ucla today
Radio silence. Someone yesterday on the boards claimed to be the father of a teammate of his, and the word was Baker didn't know yet and was 50/50.

I saw where Huffman and Biggins are both predicting him to UCLA, but I haven't seen yet whether that's just a guess or if they're hearing things and have some level of confidence in their predictions.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #272
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Biggins is reporting that USC and Washington are both strong threats to flip Fred Warner.

From everything he is saying, he is still strong BYU, the chance to replace KVN is big.

We have a few players we are solidifying and a couple we are trying to flip. (One from Stanford and Mama)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #273
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure the star ratings are lower now for the class; plus, you think Harsin is a better evaluator of talent than Petersen?

BSU has lost a lot, but Harsin has pulled in 6 very solid recruits in January. Talent evaluation is more a staff thing anyway and the BSU staff has always been solid in finding under the radar guys. Harsin was a big part of that in the past, just like CP was, who I think is one of the best coaches in the game and will do great things at Washington.

USC is probably tempting to Warner, but as Dennis said, he has continually reaffirmed he is a solid BYU commit. I really don't think Washington ever had him wavering. Nothing is 100% until that LOI comes in, but I would be shocked is BYU lost Warner.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #274
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Radio silence. Someone yesterday on the boards claimed to be the father of a teammate of his, and the word was Baker didn't know yet and was 50/50.

I saw where Huffman and Biggins are both predicting him to UCLA, but I haven't seen yet whether that's just a guess or if they're hearing things and have some level of confidence in their predictions.
Huff had him to UW til the official to ucla
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #275
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
USC is probably tempting to Warner, but as Dennis said, he has continually reaffirmed he is a solid BYU commit. I really don't think Washington ever had him wavering. Nothing is 100% until that LOI comes in, but I would be shocked is BYU lost Warner.
Greg Biggins talked with his coach today and was passing along what Warner had told him - both Washington and USC really have him thinking. That said, he's got his official to BYU this weekend, so that could solidify him to the Cougars.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #276
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Greg Biggins talked with his coach today and was passing along what Warner had told him - both Washington and USC really have him thinking. That said, he's got his official to BYU this weekend, so that could solidify him to the Cougars.

This weekend trip for the recruits generally solidifies a lot of them. It's a snowmobiling excursion and complete campus tour. It brings about camaraderie with them and they feel a sense of team as they get together. Several of our past recruits that were wavering have said, this weekend is what brought them together.

But then, you can have the exact opposite, when family hosts family as was the case with Manti. There was a lot of things that went on and when Manti was asked about he, he was honest, and that is when he and Bronco decided BYU wasn't the right fit for him.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #277
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hale to UW. I think he is a bit overhyped but good name/star combo for Petersen
Old 02-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #278
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, almost all of the rivals analysts have 5 star Adoree Jackson, Juju Smith, and Damien Mama picking USC on signing day. I am home watching again on signing day and am looking forward to see if this comes to fruition.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #279
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
FWIW, almost all of the rivals analysts have 5 star Adoree Jackson, Juju Smith, and Damien Mama picking USC on signing day. I am home watching again on signing day and am looking forward to see if this comes to fruition.

Typically, we have bad luck on signing days, I do like the look of the fact we may have flipped the Stanford guy.

I would like to see Mama flipped, but he doesn't seem to into BYU from all things I have heard from his trip.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #280
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting weekend for some Georgia HS players with Clemson UGA and Tennessee all having junior day productions this weekend.

Eagle Lake Christian Academy has a DE Andrew Williams who I think is the most under rated player in the country. Williams isn't flashy and certainly isnt brash but his technique is very advanced for his age and he just doesnt mess up. IVe yet to see a single bust in reviewing every HS game film he has played. Others have better measurables, more potential but no one is better suited to step in and contribute IMHO. He has long been considered a Clemson/Auburn battle. Those close to him really wanted him to consider UGA but he has never shown anything more than a cursory interest. New DC Jeremy Pruitt got Andrews in this weekend and that may have changed. UGA is a real player here...but as long as Auburn has its Bag Men I'll never count them out.

DE/OT Corey Thomas grew up in GA but recently moved over into Bama to complete his last 2 years of HS. He holds a high 3 or mid 4 star ranking depending on which service you follow. A long time Tennessee commit both Clemson and UGA have moved in on him. The decision hasn't been rendered but if NSD was today I think he would flip to Clemson (who's coaches privately consider him an OT prospect long term).

Jr

North Gwinett OT Mitch Hyatt. He drew attention when as a Sophomore he shut National #1 Robert Nkemdiche out in a state playoff game holding big Bob without a single tackle and recording 4 pancakes of him. He still has a year left of HS but should make it official that he is a Clemson pledge this week.

DT Trenton Thompson named National Junior of the year.

FL, TX, CA all have great HS football. But I think far too many sleep on the state of GA.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-03-2014 at 10:20 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #281
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW, Justin Hopkins just switched his prediction on Budda back to Washington after a 247 update on him.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #282
MrBug708
Head Coach

Justin Hopkins a UW guy?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #283
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Justin Hopkins a UW guy?
Nope - he's an Oregon guy, but I think he's also now the PNW regional guy for 247Sports. Ruth Robbins (aka Queen Crazy) and Lars Hansen are the UW guys for 247.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #284
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And now Biggins & Huffman have changed their predictions on Baker to Washington.

Also, Kaleb McGary picked Washington today over Wisconsin & WSU (he'd been offered by USC, Oregon & Nebraska among others) - terrific pick-up for Petersen in his first class here, nabbing the #2 in-state prospect. If he can close with Baker, he'll have grabbed the top-two guys and ensured a pretty damn good class, especially considering how few commits he was left with.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #285
MrBug708
Head Coach

I saw that. UCLA needed him to firm up this weekend and he didn't. The away from mom factor is just going to be too much.

UCLA had a visit from Joe Mixon this weekend.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #286
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
UCLA had a visit from Joe Mixon this weekend.
Sounds like he reconfirmed his Oklahoma commitment afterward.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #287
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Crazy part is that USC was expected to get them all regardless of what was coach and now it's hoping it comes to fruition. If Sark loses Juju to Oregon, they should just fire him now considering his uncle is on staff at USC.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #288
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fire Seven Win Steve? Gawd, I hope not.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #289
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like mom wins out with Baker.

Adoree Jackson is at usc right now during a dead period. What a surprise
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Baker announced for UW today at the Seahawks' parade.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #291
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Baker announced for UW today at the Seahawks' parade.
The parade is tomorrow. He announced tonight so as to not take away attention from his teammates at their signing ceremony tomorrow morning.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #292
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wonder if Sark can flip Patrick Porter of WSU?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #293
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I LOVE the NSD holiday...
Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #294
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Solomon Thomas to Stanford. DB Lamont Simmons to USC! Good way to start the day.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #295
MacroGuru
Coordinator

This will be my post for BYU for the day (Updated as they come in)

EE -

WR Nick Kurtz, 6'6" 205 JR, El Cajon, CA, Grossmont College, Top WR from the JUCO class. 4* Prospect, was recruited by USC, Oregon, LSU and held about 9 other offers.

DB Michael Shelton, 5'8", 170, Raleigh, NC. Wakefield HS. 3* prospect, beat out Auburn for him, he enrolled in January.

Incoming Freshman

DL Jaterrius Gulley, 6'3", 325 lbs, Hoover, AL, Hoover HS. I think he is a 2* prospect, was recruited by Louisville, UAB, Hawaii, Memphis, Western Kentucky, Central Arkansas and Southeastern Louisiana.

WR Trey Dye, 5'9", 175 lbs, Abilene, TX, Cooper High School. 3* prospect and son of former Cougar James Dye. He was ours to lose and most schools backed off when he solidified his verbal with us.

DB Kavika Fonua, 5'11", 185 lbs, Syracuse, UT, Syracuse HS. 3* Recruit and top safety in Utah. He committed early to BYU but Utah come on towards the end to try and get him to switch.

DL Zac Dawe, 6' 4", 280 lbs, Pleasant Grove, UT, Pleasant Grove HS. 3* prospect, 5th overall from the state and 52nd rated DE in the nation. Was recruited by Utah and Utah State.

TE Matt Bushman, 6' 5", 215 lbs, Tucson, AZ, Sabino High School.3* prospect, 14th rated TE in the nation. recruited by AZ, ASU, Colorado, Duke, Nevada, Penn, SDSU and Utah.

DB Isaiah Kaufusi, 6'2", 175 lbs, Salt Lake City, UT, Brighton HS. 3* prospect, recruited by Hawaii, Utah and Utah State. His dad was a former Utah player, even though his Uncle coaches and cousin plays at BYU. They were not sure he would choose us.

WR Devon Blackmon, 6'1", 185 lbs, Fontana, CA, Riverside Community College. 4* JC prospect Devon originally signed with Oregon and then left the program and went to a JUCO. He was recruited by AZ, CA, Colorado, Fresno State, Illinois, Kansas State, Utah and Washington. He was a big win for us.

WR Jordan Leslie, 6'3", 210 lb, Houston, TX, UTEP. Graduated with his degree in Mechanical Engineering is transferring to BYU for a masters. Is able to play right away. We picked him up due to our WR's coach.

LB Tyler Cook, 6'3", 220lbs, Murrieta, CA, Vista Murrieta HS, 3* prospect that was recruited by AZ, ASU, Boise, CA, Colorado, Colorado St, Duke, Fresno State, Hawaii, Kansas State, Miami (FL), Nevada, SJSU, UCLA, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Washington, Washington State and Yale.

DL Tico Fugo, 6'1", 280 lbs, Huntington Beach, CA, Edison HS. 3* prospect. Recruited by Boise, Utah, Utah State and Washington.His brother was former Cougar Romney Fuga.

OL Austin Chambers, 6'5", 297 lbs, Shawnee Mission, KS, Shawnee Mission West HS. 3* proespect, recruited by Arkansas, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska and Notre Dame.

OL Trejan Koroma, 6'0", 255 lbs, Allen Texas, Allen HS. 3* prospect, recruited by Air Force, Arkansas State, Army, New Mexico and Utep.

OL Chandon Herring, 6'7", 270 lbs. Gilbert, AZ, Perry High School. 3* prospect, recruited by Air Force, Arizona, ASU, SJSU and Washington State.

LB Fred Warner, 6'3", 210 lbs, San Marcos, CA, Mission Hills HS. 4* prospect, had committed early to BYU. Was recruited by AZ, ASU, Boise, CA, Nebraska, New Mexico State, USC, Utah, Washington and Washington State.

DL Isaia Nacua, 6'3", 250 lbs, Provo, Utah, Timpview HS. 4* prospect. Recruited by ASU, Utah and Utah State. Good to see a player from my alma mater sign again at BYU. With Utah's brother coaching at Timpview I was worried he would try and funnel as much as he could to Utah.

LB Sione Takitaki, 6'3", 240 lbs, Fontana, CA, Heritage HS. 3* prospect recruited by Arizona, Boise, Nevada, SDSU, SJSU, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.

DL Earl Mariner, 6'4", 300 lbs, Topeka, KS, Washburn Rural HS.

DL Uriah Leiataua, 6'3"245 Lbs, Compton, CA, Dominguez HS. 3* prospect that had verbaled Stanford and BYU was able to flip him.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 02-05-2014 at 02:35 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #296
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Former ND commit (and expected Clemson signee) Richard Yeargin 3 has just contacted the Clemson coaching staff an told them new Texas coach Charlie Strong called him last night and he is now seriously considering the Longhorns,

He has pushed his announcement back an hour to decide.

The interesting thing? He has never been to Austin or visited the campus.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #297
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Weird one here.
Fax machine rings and in comes NLI from Yeargin...minutes after he texted his Clemson recruiter and said "Sorry"

Me thinks maybe the kid just likes drama...this will be fun for a few years
Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #298
MrBug708
Head Coach

Notre Dame at it again

Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #299
MrBug708
Head Coach

This ESPN/SEC marriage is bad for college football
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #300
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Weird one here.
Fax machine rings and in comes NLI from Yeargin...minutes after he texted his Clemson recruiter and said "Sorry"

Me thinks maybe the kid just likes drama...this will be fun for a few years

Maybe he was just apologizing for the delay.