Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #251
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs have an awful bench. They score 6 points on 2-13 shooting playing a total of 61 minutes
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #252
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Budinger out 3-4 months with a knee injury (so basically for the season ...), the crap keeps on piling up for the Wolves this year ...
Barea and Roy missed the game against the Mavs as well and Pekovic left with a sprained ankle.

Another "how did they win that ?" game. Kirilenko with 16/11 and amazing defense against pretty much everybody.

Kirilenko has looked great. I still think they'll be OK once they get Love and Rubio back. Picking up these early wins without both has been great for them.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #253
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cavs have an awful bench. They score 6 points on 2-13 shooting playing a total of 61 minutes

The only guy doing anything off the bench was Zeller really. Gibson caught fire for a brief flash, but outside of that....

I don't know what happened to CJ Miles after the preseason, but dude spent the opening couple of games shooting himself riiiiiight out of the rotation.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #254
Groundhog
Coordinator

(Unfortunately) Least surprising news of the season: Royce White notified he's going to the D-League, skips training, etc.

Ultimate Rockets » Rockets seek answers as White goes missing

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest, in particular the statement from White. It's hard to judge while not knowing the conversations that have gone on between the Rockets and White both pre and post-draft.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #255
bhlloy
Coordinator

Here's the thing - the D-League presumably offers less flexibility, less luxury and probably a million times more concern in general for someone with White's condition. The article notes that the Rockets have a successful history with sending first round picks to the D-League, so they must have planned for this eventuality.

So what gives? Why draft a guy when you know you want to put him in a situation like that? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds like the Rockets were expecting him to just get over it and he didn't, so they are upping the ante. I generally love the way Darryl Morey manages his franchise and think he's a fresh of breath air in the league, but this one doesn't sound right to me. Crappy situation all around.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #256
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I guess flying coach versus charter in the D-League bothers him? Certainly not the same as flying charter with the big club, on the rare chances he chooses to fly.

Though the dudes on NBA deals get to fly first class in the D-League.

Seems like he's going to be out of the league quick. This kid doesn't get that the NBA will dispose of him just as quickly as they got him and if they suspend him with cause, he gets no money.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #257
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So what gives? Why draft a guy when you know you want to put him in a situation like that? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds like the Rockets were expecting him to just get over it and he didn't, so they are upping the ante. I generally love the way Darryl Morey manages his franchise and think he's a fresh of breath air in the league, but this one doesn't sound right to me. Crappy situation all around.

This is why it seems like there's more to it IMO. On the surface it makes no sense.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #258
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Seems like he's going to be out of the league quick. This kid doesn't get that the NBA will dispose of him just as quickly as they got him and if they suspend him with cause, he gets no money.

very likely this has nothing to do with getting it. He can "get it" a million times over, doesn´t change his problems. In fact, knowing it´s "get better, or else ... " would propably detrimental to any progress.

I´ve known enough guys with mental problems (depression more than anxiety) to know that certain things you either work around or leave it be and do something else. In this case he can´t work around it himself but has to hope the Rockets do so for him or he´ll have to leave it be and do sth else...

White is propably taking this agressive stance for a very simple reason, get the Rockets in the spotlight. And i´m pretty sure there have had to be other guys with major issues who quietly flamed out rather than talking about their problems.

Let´s face it, major sports don´t exactly have a great track record dealing with things like mental and/or medical issues. (in German soccer f.e. there´s just now a change with certain things like depression and burnout and it took a National Team throwing himself in front of a train to gain any real traction)

As for on the court stuff : Varejao just submitted one of the best games of this young season. 35/18/3 with just 1 TO, shooting 16-21 and posting a +4 in a 13 point loss.

If he´s healthy come February, every contender not making offers for him should have their GM run out of town.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #259
whomario
Pro Starter

Kirilenko with 26/12, shoots 9-12 but the Wolves loose because they manage to be -10 in the 4 minutes he gets a breather ... Well, i guess playing without 6 of your Top 8/9 players eventually shows.

Grizz with a big win over the Thunder, Clips with one over the Heat.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the Wizards will win a game this month. 0-7 already.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #261
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I wonder if the Wizards will win a game this month. 0-7 already.

They play the Pacers at home on Monday. I bet they win then.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #262
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Strong win for the Clips last night. Took the Heat apart. It will be nice if they can keep doing that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #263
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Pacers look terrible so far, yeah. Their offense is especially bad, their top 6 scorers all have a FG% lower than 42%
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #264
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pacers look terrible so far, yeah. Their offense is especially bad, their top 6 scorers all have a FG% lower than 42%

Who knew Granger and Collison not being there would have such an impact?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #265
Radii
Head Coach

Not sure if this is the best thread for it, but this story on Marv Albert is awesome:

Marv Albert's Brooklyn - Grantland
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #266
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Who knew Granger and Collison not being there would have such an impact?

Collison was their own doing and aparently they figured Augustin could fill that role and other teams have been ok without their lead scorer.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #267
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Collison was their own doing and aparently they figured Augustin could fill that role and other teams have been ok without their lead scorer.

True, but apparently they were wrong (at least with their own roster).

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #268
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
True, but apparently they were wrong (at least with their own roster).

sure looks that way, still surprised me is what i meant Figured they´d still be a playoff team (heck, 9 games in no one is to say they won´t still get there)
But maybe Granger´s impact was a tad underrated just because he´s not a guy who obviously "makes guys better". He was still the guy guarded by the other teams best perimeter player and freed up others to fill in the blanks with their movement off the ball.

Loosing Barbosa also hurt. Especially with that Collison/Augustin swap he´d have been a nice option off that bench.

What irritated me the 2 times i saw them play is how little effort they make to get Hibbert involved. Yeah, he´s also playing subpar on offense, but the guy is a legit scorer down low AND and excellent passer, kind of the logical thing to work those abilities to create open shots for others on a team that doesn´t have many guys who can do that for themselves or others.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #269
whomario
Pro Starter

In the "weird statlines" department, Kyrie Irving manages to play 34 minutes and score 26 points but not record a single assist or rebound

Nuggets struggling much like the Pacers btw. Grizzlies (9-1) and Spurs (8-2) not so much.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #270
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
In the "weird statlines" department, Kyrie Irving manages to play 34 minutes and score 26 points but not record a single assist or rebound

Yeah, it was odd. I watched the entire game and didn't realise that was the case untill I saw the box score after. In fairness to him, he had a few nice dish offs that guys didn't finish on, but overall he is playing more off the ball which is hurting his assist numbers so far.

Waiters is streaky with his shot, but hard to argue at this point that Beal or MKG were better selections ahead of him. Played aggressive today but needs to learn to finish with dunks rather than those scoop layups he loves to pull out... even though they are real pretty to watch.

Gee seems to have found his game again and looks great when attacking the basket, while Caspri also knocked down a few jumpers and looks to be our best backup forward almost by default.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nuggets struggling much like the Pacers btw. Grizzlies (9-1) and Spurs (8-2) not so much.

Two of the three losses they suffered came at the hands of the Clippers (admittedly, at home).

Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #272
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kyrie Irving suffers a hairline fracture on a finger on his non-shooting hand, projected out for 4 weeks. Let the tanking commence.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully we can get the #4 pick and take the 17th best talent again.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #274
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Hopefully we can get the #4 pick and take the 17th best talent again.

As I've said above though, I think at this stage it's hard to argue with the Cavs selection of Waiters. Lillard is the only guy picked after Waiters who has clearly been better at this early stage of the season, and he plays Irving's position. Barnes has stepped up the last couple of games and if he continues might be the only player who should've been looked at over him so far... which, while I felt the same at the time the selection was made, is a far more optimistic view than I had back then.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The guarantee of getting a top #1 pick is so small...it just makes tanking utterly horrible to watch.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #276
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The guarantee of getting a top #1 pick is so small...it just makes tanking utterly horrible to watch.

Agreed. I'd rather watch them fight for the playoffs.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #277
whomario
Pro Starter

Kidd Gilchrist is fun to watch, clearly visible that he´ll be a great player (not a go to scorer, but in that "3rd option who plays kick ass defense" role).
Gets to the line at a nice clip, rebounds the ball really well.

And don´t look now, but the Lolcats just went over .500 at 5-4. Not to say they are good, but even this early it´s rather a big surprise.
And it´s not even really clear why just looking at stats as Biyombo hasn´t claimed a bigger role, Ben Gordon has been ok but not great and Mullens still scores at a 1 Point per Shot clip while hoisting 5 3s a game at 31 percent. Which makes him a better weapong from there as Kemba Walker (4-21 so far) who has definitely incresed his efficiency, from abysmal to slightly below average.

Also, both the Spurs (to the Clips ) and the Grizzlies loose on the same night.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #278
Logan
Head Coach

This made the rounds a bit yesterday, but hadn't seen it posted.

www.nets.com

Last edited by Logan : 11-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #279
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow...starting to be realistic that Bynum may never play for the 76ers.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #280
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

On Sat they play the Bobcats at home(bobcats on 2nd of b2b). This is their only winnable game left this month.

0-10

Last edited by stevew : 11-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #281
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't wait till that piece of shit Reinsdorf sells the Bulls. Bench outscored 56-10 and blow a 27-point lead in the 2nd half to the fucking Bucks. He let go of everyone on that bench to save a few bucks.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #282
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Caught the tail end of that Knicks-Nets derby. Glad to see that series actually means something now, though it seemed the fans weren't quite sure what to make of it.

But really, I just wanted to comment on how bad Brook Lopez looked tonight. Geez that dude is terrible. Replacement level, but not a max contract guy by any standard.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #283
korme
Go Reds

How about MarShon Brooks being completely buried on the bench in favor of players like Stack, CJ Watson & Josh Childress? This guy was arguably a top 5 rookie last year. I know he can't play defense, but man.

Last edited by korme : 11-26-2012 at 10:02 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #284
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
How about MarShon Brooks being completely buried on the bench in favor of players like Stack, CJ Watson & Josh Childress? This guy was arguably a top 5 rookie last year. I know he can't play defense, but man.

A smart team would try to deal for him. Since they won't play him since it's all about the oldsters.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #285
rjolley
College Starter

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bulls try for him. He'd be a nice young 2 to play next to Rose. And maybe they could teach him to play D.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #286
korme
Go Reds

I think it's a bit early for that, plenty of time for him to play his way back onto the court, but yeah, I agree. He's basically Nick Young or Jamal/Jordan Crawford 2.0, not a bad option at 20-24 mpg off the bench
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #287
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Clippers sucking lately. Hopefully they pull out of it soon. Only five days from taking the Thunder to overtime on the road to a four game losing streak capped with a dismal loss to the Hornets at home last night.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #288
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brace yourselves....the first Hasheem Thabeet highlight reel game.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #289
korme
Go Reds

What if Thabeet develops into a solid big man for OKC? Like 20 minutes in the playoffs? That would be huge. I mean he looked really good in that highlight reel.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #290
whomario
Pro Starter

He has looked pretty promising so far this season, especially considering his body of work prior to that. Sure he still fouls a ton, but he is attacking the basket, sets screens and defends reasonably well.

Plus, you know, he´s still 7´3 while being pretty agile for his size.

Timberwolves finally win a game again, Love a cool 23/24.

Rockets with their 3rd straight, now at 7-7. Love that they consistently involve Asik. They know he can defend, really like it that they are giving it a shot to be involved offensively. Sure the results are mixed (he has some shocking misses near the rim and really struggles with TOs) but still promising enough to try it out.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #291
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've always liked Thabeet and thought he got a bad rap. He's limited sure, but he's a huge body who moves pretty well for his size.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #292
Groundhog
Coordinator

In other news:

Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #293
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hey that Kwame dude has awesome potential.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #294
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This whole Kings/VA Beach shit maybe has some legs? I'd hate to see the two fucco brothers benefit though. They're like the Jeffrey Loria of the NBA.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #295
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
In other news:

Every highlight features Brad Miller mailing in some of the worst defense I've ever seen in a highlight reel

Edit: I kinda just said that, kept noticing him, but seriously, every single play features Miller. Here we go:

Highlight 1: Kwame does an out of control half-spin into a pump fake that gets Vlade to bite and jump, Kwame then lays up a soft floater in front of Brad Miller, who watches.

Highlight 2: Wiz PG drives to the lane, Miller comes in on help defense, but before he can get there, the guard (can't tell) shoots, Miller doesn't box out and Kwame gets an easy putback.

Highlight 3: Kwame gets the ball on the lowpost faceup, Miller puts his hands straight up. Kwame does a tiny crossover to his left, Miller doesn't move, Kwame shoots a layup.

Highlight 4: Kwame gets inside position on C-Webb, gets ball lobbed into him, Miller comes to help but isn't in time, easy two.

Highlight 5: Kwame does another half spin on the post, this time his butt knocks Miller all the way to the ground somehow, Kwame hits an easy 4 footer.

Highlight 6: Darvin Ham shoots, misses, it's a tight camera angle but we see Kwame get the rebound right past Brad Miller who forgot how to box out, and Kwame puts it back up uncontested

Highlight 7: Gilbert Arenas misses a runner, Kwame gets the offensive board next to Brad Miller, puts it back up uncontested

Can't believe I just wasted time doing that

Last edited by korme : 11-29-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #296
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, good catch re: Miller, I never picked up on that and I've seen that clip countless times. To be fair to Miller though, if I were defending Kwame I'd probably just stand there too, thinking "There's no way he'll do that again".
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #297
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Rondo's streak ends as he's ejected for going after a Net Player who pushed KG to the ground while he was in midair.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #298
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Rondo's streak ends as he's ejected for going after a Net Player who pushed KG to the ground while he was in midair.

That was an amazing flop by Garnett. A fine should come with it, and KG should pay Rondo whatever salary he loses since he stood up for him as if he got body checked.

Last edited by Logan : 11-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #299
whomario
Pro Starter

Brown was a decent NBA big man for a while and a pretty good (man to man) defender as well, pretty sure the Thunder would be pretty happy getting sth similar out of Thabeet.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #300
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Come on guys, Thabeet is awful, awful, awful. There is no way he becomes even a role player in the NBA. Most of his buckets were wide open dunks against one the leagues worse teams (even if they are getting a little better).

I am surprised the Grizzlies have recovered so well after the Thabeet disaster. The Grizz have drafted very poor as an organization.