Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #251
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I love the screen and it's really fast. I had some issues where it was crashing every time I tried to cut and paste, but those have seemed to subside. It feels so plastic-y though.

I'm also really pissed that it still doesn't have the freaking jelly bean update yet...it should have been out 2-3 months ago. Verizon is retarded.

Yea. I'm coming from a Droid Bionic who just got ICS a couple weeks ago...
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #252
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone know what the best phone to go for before the Christmas holiday if you have Verizon? Note II is a little big and it seems like the DNA is a little bigger than standard phones too (might be wrong on that).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The DNA seems only marginally larger than the Samsung Galaxy SIII. When I can get a new phone (Dec 25), I am looking forward to getting the DNA.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #254
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone know what the best phone to go for before the Christmas holiday if you have Verizon? Note II is a little big and it seems like the DNA is a little bigger than standard phones too (might be wrong on that).

Your options for "Best" are the Note II, S3, DNA, and one that gets little mention on here is the horribly named RAZR Maxx HD. The HD will give you the best battery life of any phone on the market. It doesn't have the camera of the S3, or the screen of the DNA, but it's battery life is incredible. Everything I have read says it is solid elsewhere (screen, speed, etc) except maybe the camera being subpar but if you do not want to worry about battery at all then that is your best bet. I'm still waiting to see DNA battery life in the wild before making any decisions on that phone.

Edit: Although, if size is a concern, it is a hefty device. It's has a larger bezel that makes the already large screen seem even larger.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #255
AnalBumCover
College Starter

T-Mobile Galaxy S3 owners should now be able to update their OS to Jelly Bean. I just did mine last night and it does feel a bit snappier.

I'm unrooted BTW.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #256
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quite update on my experience with the iPhone5:

Positives:
* Well it works and its an iPhone so it integrated with iTunes etc. where all my music etc. is.
* Very decent battery life, lasts easily for several days without charging and I can play FMH for an entire day without any battery hassles at all.
* Nice and slim/light

Negative:
* Not a great fan of the 'stretched' screen myself, especially as many things just leave 'black' borders.
* Came with iOS6 which means faulty maps, no YouTube application etc. - the YouTube app especially means my kids hate the iPhone5, yes you can download a replacement app but according to them its not as good as the original one.
* I've now got loads of chargers I can't use with my phone and have had to fork out a fair few bucks just to get a charger for my car. I don't think Apple realise quite how much one of the positives of the iPhone was being able to use it with all the various 'i' devices in the house (ie. iPad, iPhone, iTouch etc.) .... its like an Android device releasing without a standard USB charger, its just annoying.
* Not sure if its just 'me' - but the screen in sunlight doesn't seem as usable as it was on my old iPhone4 (ie. far more glare).

Overall its a decent enough phone and I'm happy using it (apart from the charger issues) - but tbh if my wife hadn't hated it so much that she swapped it for my iPhone4 I wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #257
Icy
Pro Starter

Thanks for the quick review Marc.

I'm also on the fence of picking a 5 for Christmas to upgrade from my 4 (non S) but the taller screen is not something useful at all for me, i would have preferred it to be wider.

I have moved back from a Galaxy Note to Iphone after 4 months with the Note. Loved it for web surfing, but it was so big for my pocket, to use it for running with runkeeper while playing music etc, so i moved back to the Iphone.

The first days were hard, the small iphone screen compared with the huge one in the Note hurt my eyes for web surfing, reading mail etc, but i'm getting used to it now.

Also love how apps work in the iphone, after some stability issues with Android. I find also that the apps for Iphone are better designed, even the ones that are available in both systems, as i guess are developed first for iphone and then ported to Android.

I have reached the conclusion that the perfect phone for me would be the Galaxy III screen and size, with Apple OS.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #258
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Finally got the 4.11 update for verizon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #259
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I ended up going with the note 2. Yes, it's huge, but it is fantastic.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #260
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Whats the battery life like? - I liked the original Note but the battery life was non-existent if you used applications or wanted a 'bright' screen when looking at it.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #261
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Whats the battery life like? - I liked the original Note but the battery life was non-existent if you used applications or wanted a 'bright' screen when looking at it.

Ive been sick all day. Add on to that that I have a new phone so ive been on the couch all day so my phone is seeing the most use its ever going to see. On battery for 12 hours and 30 minutes with a screen on time of 4 1/2 hours. Battery is at 52%.

Using the auto brightness setting.

Edit: it idles really well to. The first hour and a half it wasn't used once and it was still at 99%

Edit2: I also browse the SomethingAwful forums. Somebody there created a really nice app to browse with. It is a big battery hog tho. On my bionic it would chew it up. That has a cpu use total of 1 hr 28 min as well.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #262
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

I LOVE the Note 2. I've gotten 42 hours between charges with light usage and 19 hours on heavy usage.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #263
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I LOVE the Note 2. I've gotten 42 hours between charges with light usage and 19 hours on heavy usage.

This on all aspects.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #264
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
T-Mobile Galaxy S3 owners should now be able to update their OS to Jelly Bean. I just did mine last night and it does feel a bit snappier.

I'm unrooted BTW.

Oddly, the Galaxy S3 and the Atrix HD (my mother's phone and my phone, respectively) have different feature sets on Jelly Bean with AT&T. There's stuff her phone does now that mine doesn't and vice versa.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #265
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If anyone is interested in a used Motorola Droid X with accessories, drop me a PM before I have to try and E-Bay it or something...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #266
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Picked up a htc Droid Incredible 4g lte today. I have bought screen protectors before (kindle fire, my 2 year old Incredible 3g, etc) but wonder what the members here think.. Is there really much difference between the expensive or cheap protectors? Hell Verizon has a one count package for $35. Maybe I'm cheap or naive but seems a bit steep. Nice living though for anyone that can sell a 1.5X4" piece of plastic for that Recommendations? Is the $6- 3pak from Amazon as good as the $15- 2pak?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Buy the cheap ones. Verizon is literally the most expensive option.

Ebay probably has some good options too.

Last edited by stevew : 01-18-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #268
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Buy the cheap ones. Verizon is literally the most expensive option.

Ebay probably has some good options too.

Thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #269
molson
General Manager

Phone upgrade time.

DNA ($199) v. Windows Phone 8X ($99) v. Galaxy Note II ($299) v. Droid Razr Maxx HD ($249)

I'm no phone tech junky, I'm probably a "casual user", but I do like big screens, and every factor that goes into a purchase decision does matter at least some to me (camera, speed, battery life). I'm coming from a Droid X 2 which I liked, but which had huge issues at the end as far as stuff just not working (I could only talk on speakerphone, which is a surprisingly common issue from what I've read). I don't have a tablet, so the phone will serve that purpose.

I guess the Note II is the best but its the priciest, I'm intrigued by the simplicity of the 8X after having some android headaches, and I guess the 2 Droids are pretty similar to what I have.

Last edited by molson : 01-24-2013 at 10:52 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #270
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

of the android selections (i dont have enough knowlege on the current state of Windows phones to pass judgement) i honestly think the Note is for you. i have it and the only reason i would advise somebody against it is if they think the size is an issue which for you it apparently would not be. it's battery life is fantastic (the HD is better but that is its selling point. best in all phones. the Note is great though. i never worry about lasting the day.) I doubt any of the phones you listed have a better camera. speed? i don't know. it's never not been fast enough? i don't know how to compare it to the others though.

Honestly, if somebody says the size is not an issue for them then i can't recommend the Note enough. it is by far the best phone I've owned.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #271
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
of the android selections (i dont have enough knowlege on the current state of Windows phones to pass judgement) i honestly think the Note is for you. i have it and the only reason i would advise somebody against it is if they think the size is an issue which for you it apparently would not be. it's battery life is fantastic (the HD is better but that is its selling point. best in all phones. the Note is great though. i never worry about lasting the day.) I doubt any of the phones you listed have a better camera. speed? i don't know. it's never not been fast enough? i don't know how to compare it to the others though.

Honestly, if somebody says the size is not an issue for them then i can't recommend the Note enough. it is by far the best phone I've owned.

Agreed. Best phone I've ever owned as well. Well worth the cost.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #272
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

DNA has the best specs (1080p screen, quad core, etc). Razr Maxx has a ridiculously good battery (I've read easily 2 days).

Galaxy Note is just tooo big for me. The DNA is 5in and its on the big side IMO.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #273
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
DNA has the best specs (1080p screen, quad core, etc). Razr Maxx has a ridiculously good battery (I've read easily 2 days).

Galaxy Note is just tooo big for me. The DNA is 5in and its on the big side IMO.

I would be curious about the DNAs battery life. I've read conflicting reviews and haven't seen one in person to ask about real world usage. I'd be concerned with its battery once I started to use it for media, but that concern is purely based off the size of its battery. For all I know HtC worked some magic and it easilly lasts all day.

The Maxx HD battery is crazy good. Good phone. It was on my short list before i got this. I just decided that other than battery it didn't do anything else better than the Note (size was not an issue for me.) I was pleasantly surprised though to find out how good the Notes battery is, though. Heavy usage never drains it. Also, yesterday I was really busy and barely used my phone at all. i then came home and passed out on the couch at 730 and forgot to plug it in. I'm now at 48% with 23 hours of discharge (very light usage).

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #274
molson
General Manager

Thanks for the input, I'm leaning towards the Note 2. I see the size as a plus, so in that sense its probably a no-brainer. It does appear though, that this upgrade will be the end of my Verizon unlimited data plan. 2GB/month will cost me $20/more a month than what I pay now for unlimited. I don't ever go over 2GB/month, but this will be a new today, and I've never had to think about rationing use in the past.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you are spending $300 already for the Note2, you might consider paying full price and keep unlimited data if you can still do this

Last edited by stevew : 01-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #276
molson
General Manager

It looks like I can pay $20/month less for unlimited data with Sprint if I get a 450 minutes plan (which is plenty). $100/month for 2GB data and unlimited talking with Verizon v. $80/month for unlimited data and 450 minutes with Sprint (before taxes and fees). Activation/upgrade fees appear to be the same....But damn it, checking now my Verizon contract isn't up until May. I can't go that long with my current phone. Maybe paying full price from the Note might make sense. It looks like I'd save maybe $150 over two years, assuming they don't take away unlimited over that whole time. Not sure if that's worth it.

This is going to be a whole thing to figure out.

Last edited by molson : 01-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #277
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would be curious about the DNAs battery life. I've read conflicting reviews and haven't seen one in person to ask about real world usage. I'd be concerned with its battery once I started to use it for media, but that concern is purely based off the size of its battery. For all I know HtC worked some magic and it easilly lasts all day.

According to the forums at Androidcentral.com, the DNA has pretty good battery life and lasts fairly long. Apparently the quad core allows for better battery management and when idle it barely uses any battery at all.

Here is a thread on the aforementioned forums.androidcentral.com:

We're probably done talking about battery life, but... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I had to hunt to Page 3 to find any discussion on battery life (if it sucked, there would be no way it'd be buried).
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #278
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

i probably did a dumb way but i added a new line and used that. i put an old dumb phone on that line after getting the Note. it's 10 bucks a month for the dumb phone line. I really wanted to keep unlimited. Also didn't have to pay 30 or 40 for the upgrade fee. And I'll space the lines out for a yearly upgrade.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #279
HerRealName
College Prospect

I just upgraded to a Note 2 from an Iphone 4 two weeks ago. This was after reading Scoobz posts above and more reviews after. This phone is incredible. My biggest concern initially was the size and feel in my front pocket. That hasn't been an issue at all and I'm at the point now where an Iphone seems ridiculously small. Battery life is similar to the Iphone 4. I'm very happy with the Note.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #280
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
According to the forums at Androidcentral.com, the DNA has pretty good battery life and lasts fairly long. Apparently the quad core allows for better battery management and when idle it barely uses any battery at all.

Here is a thread on the aforementioned forums.androidcentral.com:

We're probably done talking about battery life, but... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I had to hunt to Page 3 to find any discussion on battery life (if it sucked, there would be no way it'd be buried).

That's a good sign. Still my only concern would be powering that screen. Most newer Android phones now idle really well ( i think i even make mention of that with regards to this Notre when i first got it) but it's when the screen is on that stuff goes downhill. With that screen and that battery id be concerned,but like you said if it was you probably wouldnt have to dig deep to find out
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #281
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If you actually click through you'll find people with plenty of battery, even after 12 hours+.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #282
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Just a quick comment on Android phones and battery life, QA at SI mentioned the other day that the 'Intel' processor android device (RAZR i) they have in has a substantially better battery lifespan than any other device they have in the lab at the moment ...
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #283
cougarfreak
College Starter

Best Buy has the galaxy s3 on sale for $99, while my local Verizon store has it for $199. Any catches there? I'm down to that or an iPhone 5. Not sure which one to get.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 02-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #284
Desnudo
Coordinator

Galaxy Note 2 is on sale for 149 at Amazon
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #285
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

link?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #286
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Best Buy has the galaxy s3 on sale for $99, while my local Verizon store has it for $199. Any catches there? I'm down to that or an iPhone 5. Not sure which one to get.

Only concern would be long-term support of the phone in regards to OS upgrades. The S4 is now being talked about so whenever that comes out (April-May is the rumor, but who knows) the S3 upgrade path will become more limited. If that isn't a concern, it is a very nice phone.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #287
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
link?

http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-A...=1359909360201

The white one appears to be $199 still. I prefer the Titanium anyways (Think it looks better, but also hides scratches and dirt better)

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #288
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

Checked that out at the Verizon store yesterday as well, that thing is huge. But damn, that's a hell of a price. I'm going to debate that. Any problem with this thing in the pocket Scoobz?

Last edited by cougarfreak : 02-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #289
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Only concern would be long-term support of the phone in regards to OS upgrades. The S4 is now being talked about so whenever that comes out (April-May is the rumor, but who knows) the S3 upgrade path will become more limited. If that isn't a concern, it is a very nice phone.

I would not worry too much about that, Samsung are in the process of rolling out an Android 4.1 update to the Galaxy S2 which adds a new interface and new features. The S2 is approaching two years old at this point, so that is far more than I expected of them.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #290
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I would not worry too much about that, Samsung are in the process of rolling out an Android 4.1 update to the Galaxy S2 which adds a new interface and new features. The S2 is approaching two years old at this point, so that is far more than I expected of them.

That is good to hear, as Samsung isn't exactly well known for long-term support.

Well, most of Android phone manufacturers aren't. I about shit my pants when I saw the Thunderbolt is about to receive 4.0.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #291
cougarfreak
College Starter

Anyone that has bought a phone through a third party like Amazon or Best Buy, with service through Verizon, is there any down side to going through the third party?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #292
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I got my phone through Amazon. The only time I ever had an issue, I took my phone in to the Verizon store and showed them it wasn't working. They tried to order me a replacement there but there was an issue with my order in the computer. I had to call customer service instead. My friend also got his from Amazon and took his phone to the same Verizon store and they were able to order the replacement for him with no issues. One way or the other you should be able to deal with any issues that come up.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #293
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
link?

Amazon.com
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #294
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Anyone that has bought a phone through a third party like Amazon or Best Buy, with service through Verizon, is there any down side to going through the third party?

Probably obvious, but make sure it is your line that is getting the upgrade. I used a different lines upgrade and was planning on doing a transfer once I ordered it like I've always done. After reading the fine print I saw that on Amazon (and the case with most non-verizon upgrade paths) you have to keep the phone on the line ordered for 181 days (or something) or risk paying a few hundred dollars.

But as far as service, I've never seen any complaints about ordering through Amazon or whoever. But I have never done it.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #295
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

so paying $80/month is the norm nowadays for cell phone? i pay $25/mo and can't stomach the jump to $80, even if the phone was free.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #296
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
so paying $80/month is the norm nowadays for cell phone? i pay $25/mo and can't stomach the jump to $80, even if the phone was free.

Probably the norm, especially for those on individual lines.

I pay $50 on a family plan. I have unlimited, and the only way I kept that was adding a line for $10/mo and using that upgrade to transfer over. Stupid? Probably, but I want my unlimited. This will probably change next upgrade because I'm obviously not going to continue adding lines.

But what got me, was when they were trying to sell me on losing the unlimited and going with a family shared plan for data it was $40 more. $40! The selling point? Well, I would have unlimited texting and data but since I already have that it doesn't matter. But what she tried to sell me on was that I'd have UNLIMITED MINUTES. I don't break 100 minutes for myself, my family doesn't break 400 in a month, why the fuck would we want to pay $40 more to have unlimited minutes?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

depending on the type of usage you do, unlimited is seriously overrated anyways. We can stay under 6gb every month, no problem, and could probably do 4 if we had to. The pricing obviously sucks on the new plans, but all of these companies suck other than verizon in my area.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #298
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Anything Verizon does other companies will just follow suit, anyway.

I agree, though, that unlimited is overrated. I have my phone set to connect to my home wireless and my schools wireless automatically so 80% of the time I am not even using data. I just for whatever reason didn't want to let go. When you add in that for $30 less I could keep it, and with this new line stagger my upgrades to only be a year apart, it was a no-brainer.

Also, with a phone like the Note, I use it for media a lot more. Shit, I've laid down and watched netflix on it when I was too lazy to get the PS3 fired up and what not. Never would have done that on my Bionic, and you know what, it wasn't a terrible experience. If I wasn't using WiFi, then that would chew through data.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-03-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #299
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If anyone has a scratched/scuffed/cracked up phone with no insurance, Verizon is offering 2nd chance device protection. Costs $99 to file a claim, but might be worth it if you're dealing with a jacked up phone and (wisely) declined the insurance
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #300
cougarfreak
College Starter

I just picked up an iphone 5 today. Love it so far. My HTC inspire had become painfully slow.