Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #251
Thomkal
Head Coach

man can't watch anymore of this joke of a game. Have fun those gluttons for punishment and/or giants and bears fans who watch the whole game.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #252
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Stupid question - but why not pass once out of the end zone? 3 straight runs seems insane, and a higher risk of a safety.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #253
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Stupid question - but why not pass once out of the end zone? 3 straight runs seems insane, and a higher risk of a safety.

They threw the ball on 2nd down and it was batted down at the line.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #254
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
They threw the ball on 2nd down and it was batted down at the line.

aha - sorry flipped channels to MLB network, missed that. Mea culpa.

This is a hell of a defensive performance by the Giants.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #255
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Caleb Hanie may need to warm up.

As you wish.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #256
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who is the fourth string QB?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #257
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Who is the fourth string QB?
Either Devin Hester as a wildcat QB or Lovie Smith.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

An ugly win but I'll take it.

If nothing else the defense showed they want to play for Coughlin.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #259
weegeebored
High School Varsity

The 4th stringer is Jerry Angelo, but he quit the team because he didn't want to have to play QB behind that O-line he put together. Lovie-dovie, all of the proven losers on that coaching staff, and Angelo have to go. ASAP.

And Giants fans are going to have some hope but they are really fooling themselves as well.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #260
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cutler should have the entire Giants Defense charged with aggravated assault and his own offensive lineman should be put to trial for violating the Good Samaritan law.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #261
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Cutler deserves equal blame. He has to throw the ball. A few of those sacks he had guys open and was looking in their direction and decided to hang on.

In fact, some of us who were watching the game thought Cutler may have been sat down because of some internal issues. It seemed he wasn't interested in throwing the ball or running the plays being called, just proving a point to his OC about something. So blame the O-Line all day, but Cutler played like shit and underthrew Hester on a TD pass in the first quarter.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #262
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Oh and are there any other failed head coaches we can put on the staff? Mike Tice is working out great with that offensive line and Mike Martz sure looks to have an offense that isn't 10 years behind the times.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #263
henry296
College Starter

Right now there are 24 teams with either 2 or 3 wins. I have feeling the playoff scenarios are going to be crazy this year.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #264
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cutler deserves equal blame. He has to throw the ball. A few of those sacks he had guys open and was looking in their direction and decided to hang on.

In fact, some of us who were watching the game thought Cutler may have been sat down because of some internal issues. It seemed he wasn't interested in throwing the ball or running the plays being called, just proving a point to his OC about something. So blame the O-Line all day, but Cutler played like shit and underthrew Hester on a TD pass in the first quarter.

Attention: HOMER ALERT!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #265
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Not even close to equal blame. Yes, Cutler underthrew hester and didn't see the corner playing zone on the INT. However, you can't blame Cutler for holding onto the ball too long when too long is typically 3 seconds from snap. The play Collinsworth was railing on him for holding onto the ball for 5-6 seconds was more like 4.

When you're a QB and you're continually hit that much I don't care what your name is or how talented you are you aren't going to play close to your talent level. You get shell shocked, you start seeing guys that aren't there, and your thoughts on are on not getting hit rather than reading the defense.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #266
Thomkal
Head Coach

I see my Cards were sacked 9 times and the "future savior" Max Hall picked up 6 of them. The only TD they got was a fumble or INT return. *sigh* How many sacks did the Giants end up with?

Is it just me or are we seeing way more extreme stats this year? A number of 400 yard passing days, including two in one game, all these sacks, etc?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #267
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:

Yes partly, he does, and I'm not the biggest Cutler fan but if any QB deserves to have happy feet it's him. And I think that his concussion -- if real -- may have happened earlier, kind of like a aggregate affect after all of those hits all season long. I mean, is Cutler so bad that he can't see the corner blitz and hit a wide-open Bennett? No, I don't think so. Where were the quick hit plays that were so successful against Dallas?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #268
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I see my Cards were sacked 9 times and the "future savior" Max Hall picked up 6 of them. The only TD they got was a fumble or INT return. *sigh* How many sacks did the Giants end up with?

Is it just me or are we seeing way more extreme stats this year? A number of 400 yard passing days, including two in one game, all these sacks, etc?

You must be aggravated with them - you used "my Cards" and not "my beloved Cards."

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #269
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You must be aggravated with them - you used "my Cards" and not "my beloved Cards."

Very observant my friend Cuervo, I'm not feeling the love for them too much right now.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #270
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't think this is a homer statement. In watching the Packers last year and how they started the season, I would tend to agree with this. It's like Deja Vu, but it is happening to the Bears instead of the Packers. 1 part porous line, 1 part holding it too long.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #271
remper
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I don't think this is a homer statement. In watching the Packers last year and how they started the season, I would tend to agree with this. It's like Deja Vu, but it is happening to the Bears instead of the Packers. 1 part porous line, 1 part holding it too long.

I think the accumulated pass rush is getting into Cutler's head, and he has looked extremely skittish and indecisive the last two games. He held the ball too long a few times, but when the Giants are getting that kind of pass rush with just a four man rush Cutler has a tough choice. Throw it on time into 8 man coverage, and hope your wide receiver is there on time as well, or hold onto it and see if someone comes open, which is when a few of the sacks happened.

This is what I expected week 1. And then they fooled me for three weeks, before they finally got exposed. If Cutler is gone for any length of time... yeesh... They might as well punt the ball on first down and hope the defense and special teams scores for them. Either way, I know I won't be watching Collins or Hanie running the show.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #272
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So the consensus is now that Cutler was concussed early on and the one they showed where his head hit the turf was actually his second of the game.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #273
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Adjust the sliders, it will be fine.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #274
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

It was a fumble by Sproles they ran back for a TD.

Hall did look better than Anderson though, if it's any consolation.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #275
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
It was a fumble by Sproles they ran back for a TD.

Hall did look better than Anderson though, if it's any consolation.

woops sorry, the point I was trying to make was that it was a defensive touchdown. The offense got shut out, making it an even more pathetic game.

And hey how about those nice numbers for FB (and Coastal Carolina grad) Mike Tolbert? He's certainly been a pleasant surprise this season.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #276
Thomkal
Head Coach

And my long dead grandmother would have looked better than Anderson
Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #277
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So the consensus is now that Cutler was concussed early on and the one they showed where his head hit the turf was actually his second of the game.

A lot of studies show that concussions don;t always happen in one big hit, but over many hits. So Cutler may have been getting a concussion the entire time.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #278
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not even close to equal blame. Yes, Cutler underthrew hester and didn't see the corner playing zone on the INT. However, you can't blame Cutler for holding onto the ball too long when too long is typically 3 seconds from snap. The play Collinsworth was railing on him for holding onto the ball for 5-6 seconds was more like 4.

When you're a QB and you're continually hit that much I don't care what your name is or how talented you are you aren't going to play close to your talent level. You get shell shocked, you start seeing guys that aren't there, and your thoughts on are on not getting hit rather than reading the defense.
Half those sacks he had enough time to get a pass off. I'm not giving the line a pass at all, it was an abortion. But Cutler has to realize that he doesn't have time to throw and has to get rid of it faster. On his two fumbles he had a lot of time in the pocket and held on to it for over 5 seconds. I'm sorry, but half those sacks were not jailbreaks, they were a QB who failed to get rid of the ball fast enough or didn't see a corner blitz and the guy who was left wide open because of it.

It's one thing if we're talking about a rookie missing those reads, but Jay Cutler is being paid like an elite QB and shouldn't miss those things. You can't throw horrible picks on your side of the field and miss wide open touchdown throws on a regular basis.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #279
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
woops sorry, the point I was trying to make was that it was a defensive touchdown. The offense got shut out, making it an even more pathetic game.

And hey how about those nice numbers for FB (and Coastal Carolina grad) Mike Tolbert? He's certainly been a pleasant surprise this season.

Ah gotcha! I think because the running game just didn't (no pun intended) get off the ground, killed much of any chance for the offense to do anything and the Cardinals defense just looked confused the whole game. Well, except for that fumble return. I just don't understand how a team can leave a future hall of fame tight end wide open almost the whole game. It's as if the D coordinator for the Cardinals only looked at final scores of the past 3 Chargers games instead of looking at the actual game footage. The 2 losses the Chargers have were self induced and not really anything the other team did.

Tolbert has been crazy so far this year. There's been flashes of it in the past, but, this year he is like a mini Earl Campbell with how he is running people over. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #280
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I only saw one instance where he missed a wide-open received en route to a sack. Every other time, the replays showed not a single receiver close to being open. Should he have thrown it away? Yes. Seperate issue. But when the Giants could get that much of a pass rush sending only 4 (which was largely the case), you're not going to find anyone open. 1 second or 20 to throw, if there's no one open, it doesn't matter.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #281
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, having real receivers probably would help as well. Hester has made strides but you are never going to learn the nuances of route running in a few years of playing the position and even beyond Hester it's basically just a bunch of fast guys.

I despise Cutler and he could do a better job of throwing the ball away last night but it's really on the front office to put him in a situation where he's not getting killed. Poor line + no reliable receiving corps = short career for QB.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #282
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - 3 of 5 receivers on the Bears roster are listed as KR/PR, one is 5'9 and the other is Devin Aromashadu. Worse than I thought.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #283
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Well, having real receivers probably would help as well. Hester has made strides but you are never going to learn the nuances of route running in a few years of playing the position and even beyond Hester it's basically just a bunch of fast guys.

I despise Cutler and he could do a better job of throwing the ball away last night but it's really on the front office to put him in a situation where he's not getting killed. Poor line + no reliable receiving corps = short career for QB.

I agree. In fact, I recommend using Top 10 draft picks in 3 out of 4 years on WRs. It's a great way to build a solid foundation for your team and your offense will become unstoppable.

How can anyone cover 3 Top 10 wideouts???
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #284
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I see what you're doing there...
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #285
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree. In fact, I recommend using Top 10 draft picks in 3 out of 4 years on WRs. It's a great way to build a solid foundation for your team and your offense will become unstoppable.

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #286
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Especially if you lock up a can't miss QB-prospect the year before you get the WRs. You see, everybody enters their prime at the same time that way. Un-freaking-stoppable.

Last edited by molson : 10-04-2010 at 04:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #287
Atocep
Coordinator

So Bears have contacted Juice Williams.

My first thought was it would be to give him a look as a receiver. No, the Chicago bears are probably the only team at the college or pro level that thinks Juice Williams can play QB at any level.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see this in the thread yet, sorry if double-posting

Packers S Burnett out for season with torn ACL *| ajc.com
Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #289
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Mike Ditka said Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler needs to get rid of the ball quicker - ESPN Chicago
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #290
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Bears have contacted Juice Williams.

My first thought was it would be to give him a look as a receiver. No, the Chicago bears are probably the only team at the college or pro level that thinks Juice Williams can play QB at any level.
Where did you see that?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #291
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Where did you see that?

Someone linked Juice Williams' twitter comment on it.

Quote:
Juice Williams Twitter: talked to the Bears. Told me to be prepared and stay ready in case of injury, I'm high on the list. That's encouraging

The Bears love those local guys...
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #292
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Especially if you lock up a can't miss QB-prospect the year before you get the WRs. You see, everybody enters their prime at the same time that way. Un-freaking-stoppable.

So many weapons. Just... so many weapons.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #293
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There's no doubt that the pass protection scheme is problematic unless you have Dan Marino back there. Still, Cutler causes some of his own problems. They showed a replay of one of the fumbles and how a guy was running wide open underneath and Cutler basically ignored him trying to find someone downfield until the ball got stripped. On another play, the CB blitz came and Cutler wasn't aware enough to throw it right to where the CB blitzed from, where there was of course a wide open receiver.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #294
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone linked Juice Williams' twitter comment on it.

The Bears love those local guys...
I'm hoping there is a UFL team that goes by the Bears.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #295
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Yeah, at least Reid had a decent line in front of McNabb for most of his career.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #296
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Juice said on his twitter that the Bears told him that he's "next on the list" and to be prepared.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #297
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So many weapons. Just... so many weapons.

Imagine if you then hired a gifted megalomaniac offensive wizard to run schemes for them! That team would score faster than a straight kickoff return.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #298
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Juice said on his twitter that the Bears told him that he's "next on the list" and to be prepared.

Six minutes later Williams was concussed when Justin Tuck gained entry to his home and sacked Williams from behind in his kitchen.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #299
bhlloy
Coordinator

I thought it was Umeniyora who was into that kind of freaky shit?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #300
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

When did OJ get out of jail??