Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #251
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What has Brewster done at Minny? Compile a 500 record? I guess that is above average for the Gophers. Great job Brewster.

That program was in shambles. He's getting good talent there though I am still skeptical about his coaching abilities. That said if nothing else he's stocking the pond for the next guy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #252
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What has Brewster done at Minny? Compile a 500 record? I guess that is above average for the Gophers. Great job Brewster.

He turned around a program that Mason left with 1 win talent and is grabbing top 20 recruiting classes every year. Sort of like Ferentz won 1-2 games with Iowa his first two years. Were you calling for his head then?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #253
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And I need JIMGA on this one but there are tons of rumors of Tennessee losing members of their staff. I have heard their RB coach is going to FSU, Lance Thompson is going to Louisville as DC and in a not so shocking twist if it's true, but I have heard rumors of Coach O going back to USC.

Anyone following the Vols know if that's true?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #254
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He turned around a program that Mason left with 1 win talent and is grabbing top 20 recruiting classes every year. Sort of like Ferentz won 1-2 games with Iowa his first two years. Were you calling for his head then?

Honestly, I thought it was a terrible hire. But I was pissed after losing Stoops to Oklahoma.
I wasnt bashing Brewster as much as I was Minny and the way they always suck. Right Sov?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #255
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I thought it was a terrible hire. But I was pissed after losing Stoops to Oklahoma.
I wasnt bashing Brewster as much as I was Minny and the way they always suck. Right Sov?

Well they have 6 more Natl championships than Iowa. Getting them out of that dome is going to be huge towards them getting back in the top 5 of big ten teams.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #256
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounding like Kelly to Notre Dame. Cincinnati fans are already discussing who's going to coach them in the bowl game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #257
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
And I need JIMGA on this one but there are tons of rumors of Tennessee losing members of their staff. I have heard their RB coach is going to FSU, Lance Thompson is going to Louisville as DC and in a not so shocking twist if it's true, but I have heard rumors of Coach O going back to USC.

And Frank Wilson reportedly is going back home to Louisiana to coach at LSU to take over for the departed Larry Porter (Memphis head coach).

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The RB coach has family ties in Florida & goes with Kiffin's blessing apparently (as does the WR coach Wilson). The Orgeron rumor tried to gain some legs on Atlanta sports talk this week but there's nothing to be found, at least publicly, about him going anywhere around the Knoxville media. Plus he's been handling the slack in recruiting in South Florida with Gran's departure so if they thought he was going anywhere that probably wouldn't have been the choice.

Among the rumored replacements showing up in the media coverage include South Carolina assistant and former Vols tailback Jay Graham; longtime UT and NFL assistant Kippy Brown; Central Florida running backs coach David Kelly; Notre Dame wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello; and Middle Tennessee State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz.

Of those, Graham might be a popular choice with the fans & I can't think that getting ND's recruiting coordinator as a position coach would be a step down for the Vols.

edit to add: The main UT writer for one of the sites (Scout? Rivals? one of 'em anyway) supposedly got a text from Thompson saying he hasn't been contacted & there's nothing to the rumor. On the other hand, there are rumors floating around tonight that he accepted the job a few hours ago, so ... who knows? If he does leave, the most obvious candidate to replace him becomes Rodney Garner, who is rumored to be on his way out at UGA. Then again, Garner turned down an offer to return to Knoxville shortly after Kiffin was hired. Seems his wife didn't like Knoxville the first time around & apparently she's still pulling those strings. Again, who knows?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-08-2009 at 10:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #259
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The Coach O rumors to USC have heightened in the last week. Supposedly, USC is ready to double or triple his salary.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #260
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The Coach O rumors to USC have heightened in the last week. Supposedly, USC is ready to double or triple his salary.

I'm by no means a USC fan, but I've had a soft spot for Coach O ever since reading that book about his year at Ole Miss.....can't remember the name of it right now.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'm by no means a USC fan, but I've had a soft spot for Coach O ever since reading that book about his year at Ole Miss.....can't remember the name of it right now.

Meat Market
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #262
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Meat Market

Great book!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #263
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Great bar!

Busted.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

Ditto about Meat Market. I know a ton of USC fans are hoping he comes back to SC, myself included.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #265
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seems like Louisville's new coach will be Charlie Strong, the defensive coordinator for Florida this year. Good hire by Louisville, IMO:

Louisville board to be asked to approve Charlie Strong as coach - ESPN
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #266
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Glad to see Strong get the opportunity. Could be a good situation given his recruiting ties to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seems like Louisville's new coach will be Charlie Strong, the defensive coordinator for Florida this year. Good hire by Louisville, IMO:

the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #267
hoopsguy
General Manager

Don't think this has been mentioned here, but the Illini football program continues to be a hole with no bottom. There are anywhere from 3-8 key underclassmen that are either transferring or rumored to be doing so (pick a name of a 4* or high 3* and they are probably on the list) and the incoming class is losing people by the week. I believe the current number of incoming players is down to 7 now.

Fans are hoping that the AD (in the last year of his deal) is re-considering giving Zook a pink slip in light of the mass defections. But no announcements yet ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #268
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So the 2007 season was a fluke then? Sure seems like Illinois should be more consistently successful than they have been...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #269
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
So the 2007 season was a fluke then? Sure seems like Illinois should be more consistently successful than they have been...

Sure seems that way. I think reasonable people could speculate that 2008 was going to be down, on relative terms, compared to 2007. But missing a bowl that year and then further regressing this year points to a pretty massive failure.

When the Zooker, who is regarded as a recruiter more than a coach, can't bring in new players or keep (let alone develop) his current ones ... well, that is a new kind of problem for the program. Usually we are just lamenting his crappy micro-management of his coordinators or mystifying in-game decisions or the teams lack of discipline or lousy special teams. I could probably go on, but that is enough for now.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #270
Warhammer
Pro Starter

As I told a buddy when we beat Michigan, "Crap! That means were Zooked next year too!"
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #271
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Sounding like Kelly to Notre Dame. Cincinnati fans are already discussing who's going to coach them in the bowl game.

Now Randy Edsall is heating up as a Golden Dome target.

Source: Notre Dame, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall have mutual interest - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #272
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Now Randy Edsall is heating up as a Golden Dome target.

Source: Notre Dame, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall have mutual interest - ESPN
I think Edsall is just being thrown out there to drive the price of Kelly down. I think Edsall is a good coach but Kelly is the prize and Notre Dame doesn't want to pass on Kelly and have to watch him rack up a couple more Big East titles under their nose.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #273
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Only one of 3 black BCS coaches and now the 11th out of 120 FBS schools. Just astonishing to me.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #274
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think Edsall is just being thrown out there to drive the price of Kelly down. I think Edsall is a good coach but Kelly is the prize and Notre Dame doesn't want to pass on Kelly and have to watch him rack up a couple more Big East titles under their nose.

I thought that at the start but the longer it goes the less interested ND seems in Kelly. Makes no sense to me, I'd hire him in a second. Who knows what they found in his background that isn't public knowledge though.

Hopefully George O'Leary calls with a recommendation for Edsall and that gets him off their radar.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #275
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I thought that at the start but the longer it goes the less interested ND seems in Kelly. Makes no sense to me, I'd hire him in a second. Who knows what they found in his background that isn't public knowledge though.

I don't know if this is 100% true, but my brother has friends that are ND alumni, and they have told him that some alumni are against Kelly because he has made pro-choice statements in the past (remember, ND is a conservative Catholic institution). Again, not 100% sure that is true.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #276
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post

Hopefully George O'Leary calls with a recommendation for Edsall and that gets him off their radar.
This is a weird situation where I (and my UConn friends) think Edsall is in the right place and a move to ND would be bad for both ND and UConn. There's no question he's a great guy who's done a fantastic job building the UConn job from nothing but I get the feeling he'd be Lloyd Carr-esque at Notre Dame (I know the Michigan fans will jump in to say he won an NC, but I'm talking the rest of the time, i.e. 2-4 losses a year with superior talent). If anything he was the one coach who matched Weis in end of game management and the inability to close out games.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #277
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm with you Bishop. I'm honestly baffled that Notre Dame would even think about Edsall. Edsall is a very good fit for UConn, but Notre Dame needs a home run hire and unless they can't get Kelly or some other proven winner then I just don't see Edsall being their guy at this time. Kelly is the home run hire. I just can't see Notre Dame settling for less if he truly is interested in the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
This is a weird situation where I (and my UConn friends) think Edsall is in the right place and a move to ND would be bad for both ND and UConn. There's no question he's a great guy who's done a fantastic job building the UConn job from nothing but I get the feeling he'd be Lloyd Carr-esque at Notre Dame (I know the Michigan fans will jump in to say he won an NC, but I'm talking the rest of the time, i.e. 2-4 losses a year with superior talent). If anything he was the one coach who matched Weis in end of game management and the inability to close out games.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #278
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Notre Dame needs a home run hire

And don't you think Kelly knows that? Dear God, what I would be asking for in his position.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #279
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Oh I'm sure he knows that. The guy can pretty much write his own check and probably should given the short reigns of the previous Notre Dame coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
And don't you think Kelly knows that? Dear God, what I would be asking for in his position.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #280
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Which is why I come back to what someone else said, it's using a guy close to Kelly to drive his price down.

Edsall is a really good gameday coach, and he's done a nice job winning games while assembling a roster of lower-rated recruits. But that lack of being able to recruit would kill him at ND. Yes, he would have the school's tradition (whatever is left of it) on his side but you can't walk into national recruiting battles against the likes of USC, Florida, etc and win recruits over without any experience doing so.

I wish Edsall and Schiano could be combined.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #281
Samdari
Roster Filler

If I am Kelly, I'm not the least bit worried about Edsall. I not only know that Notre Dame needs a home run, I know that Edsall will not be seen as such. Of all the home run hires they could have made, Kelly's the only one to not publicly deny interest.

If I am Kelly, I'd worry more that ND is still talking to Stoops and Meyer (through intermediaries of course) than I am about Edsall.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #282
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Which is why I come back to what someone else said, it's using a guy close to Kelly to drive his price down.

Edsall is a really good gameday coach, and he's done a nice job winning games while assembling a roster of lower-rated recruits. But that lack of being able to recruit would kill him at ND. Yes, he would have the school's tradition (whatever is left of it) on his side but you can't walk into national recruiting battles against the likes of USC, Florida, etc and win recruits over without any experience doing so.
Pete Carroll and Charlie Weis amongst others did. They were coming from the NFL, but I think this is an overrated argument. Particularly since UConn had multiple players drafted 1st-day last year. Agreed on the first part.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I wonder if that will extend to getting the relaxation of academic standards that I think a top notch coach would want to coach at ND.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #284
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

If Notre Dame is looking for a coach to "scare" Kelly then they need to look at Harbaugh, Tuberville, Fulmer, etc. I'm with you...Kelly shouldn't be worried about Edsall.

Quote:
If I am Kelly, I'm not the least bit worried about Edsall. I not only know that Notre Dame needs a home run, I know that Edsall will not be seen as such. Of all the home run hires they could have made, Kelly's the only one to not publicly deny interest.

If I am Kelly, I'd worry more that ND is still talking to Stoops and Meyer (through intermediaries of course) than I am about Edsall.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Pete Carroll and Charlie Weis amongst others did. They were coming from the NFL, but I think this is an overrated argument. Particularly since UConn had multiple players drafted 1st-day last year. Agreed on the first part.

When he recruited, Charlie Weis was able to push his time with one of the most prolific offenses in history, and his development of a 6th round QB into one of the best ever.

As for Carroll, I didn't really follow recruiting back then so I don't know how quickly he got good classes. Like you said, former NFL coaches always seem to get good recruits even if they were unsuccessful at the previous level (Wannstedt, Kiffin to name a couple). Also, I'm sure bringing kids into LA isn't as difficult as South Bend, Indiana.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #286
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Like I said before, based on stuff I have heard about Kelly from being in Michigan just over the last few years, he is going to take a job on his own terms which is why I can see him demanding too much from ND. I really believe the admissions thing is going to be a huge issue for him, and truthfully, he probably has the upper hand.

There is the potential for some big job openings next year (LSU, Michigan, etc) so it isn't like this is it for him.

He won't go anywhere if it's not on his terms, it's that simple.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #287
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Heh and after I type that, it sounds like Kelly is going to be named ND's next coach.

Should be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #288
Swaggs
Coordinator

This is secondhand info (that maybe Bishop or someone else w/ closer ties to ND may know), but I have heard that Notre Dame has a lot of strict conduct procedures in place (students must live in dorms for all 4-years, strict rules against drinking on campus, someone even said that you had to join AA if you are caught drinking underage, things like that) and that Coach Stoops had agreed on a contract figure with the school, but things fell apart because he wanted to be able to override Notre Dame's policies on disciplining his players and they would not agree to that. So, a lot of time we hear about coaches wanting Notre Dame to "loosen their standards," but that does not just apply to the academic side of things.

From what I have heard, Kelly is currently going through the same process and could return to Cincy if Notre Dame does not give a little bit. Also, word is that Kelly was offered the Washington job last season, but declined because it was so far away from his family and his familiar recruiting area.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #289
Cuckoo
College Starter

Take this for what its worth (rumor just like everything else), but according to some people with close ties to the coaching staff at OU, Stoops never, not even once, had any interest in the Notre Dame job. In fact, he supposedly laughed about it with friends and when asked why he wasn't telling the media that he had absolutely no interest, he said that he didn't want to make ND look bad publicly.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #290
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Take this for what its worth (rumor just like everything else), but according to some people with close ties to the coaching staff at OU, Stoops never, not even once, had any interest in the Notre Dame job. In fact, he supposedly laughed about it with friends and when asked why he wasn't telling the media that he had absolutely no interest, he said that he didn't want to make ND look bad publicly.

I doubt this. ND, USC, OSU, Alabama, etc., are all schools that you at least listen to their offer before rejecting. Not saying that you are going to leave or seriously consider, but if they come knocking, you answer the door.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #291
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I doubt this. ND, USC, OSU, Alabama, etc., are all schools that you at least listen to their offer before rejecting. Not saying that you are going to leave or seriously consider, but if they come knocking, you answer the door.

I'd listen. Wouldn't take Notre Dame over OU, but I'd listen. Like I said though, just what I heard. And the guy who confirmed it is one who hasn't been wrong yet. He even implied that he heard it straight from Stoops' lips and said it emphatically from the very beginning, when all of the rumors were swirling.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 12-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #292
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Also, word is that Kelly was offered the Washington job last season, but declined because it was so far away from his family and his familiar recruiting area.
This is almost certainly true. I think it was probably more than just the distance and familiarity though - I'm sure he looked at the state of the Washington football program and figured he'd have better options down the road (notably Notre Dame).

I'm also pretty sure Washington made overtures to Gary Patterson and were similarly rebuffed.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #293
Atocep
Coordinator

Multiple sources saying Kelly to ND now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #294
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And you have to feel for the players who got told by two straight coaches they were not taking jobs only to take them. One player even stated how much he believed Kelly when he said he wasn't leaving. The Sugar Bowl went from an intriguing match up to two teams who probably really don't want to be there and two of the coaches who would make it the most interesting being gone(Kelly and Strong).

Last edited by Matthean : 12-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #295
Logan
Head Coach

Kelly was up front in his interest in the job, maybe not originally but recently at least.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #296
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Great hire if true. He's the home run hire that Notre Dame needed. That doesn't mean we won't be having this discussion in a few years again, but he was by far the most qualified candidate.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #297
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Kelly was up front in his interest in the job, maybe not originally but recently at least.
Yeah, it really shouldn't be a shock to them. I think many outside observers had him pegged as a likely candidate last year when it was clear Weis was on an extremely short leash heading into this season.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #298
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
"He said, 'It's not an issue; I'm not going there,' " safety Aaron Webster said. "He said, 'I love Cincinnati, and I'm staying here.' "

Cincinnati Bearcats coach Brian Kelly won't answer questions about Notre Dame Irish job - ESPN

That was 5 days ago.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #299
molson
General Manager

Ya, I'm surprised they got a guy of that caliber, definitely a good hire for them.

Of course, he'll be fired in about 5 years when he fails to win a national championship.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #300
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe it was an old quote, or maybe he's pissed and is lying.

Quote:
A Cincinnati spokesman said that the Bearcats were negotiating a new contract with Kelly. But Kelly has not hid his interest in Notre Dame. On Monday he wrote on Twitter: “Just informed our team that Notre Dame has contacted me and I will listen to what they have to say.” (His Twitter followers jumped to near 3,500 from around 1,800 in about four hours.)

ANALYSIS - If Not Brian Kelly, Then Who as Notre Dame Coach? - NYTimes.com