Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #251
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Breaks his streak of 185 games with a reception.

Which could cause an entertaining week. I wonder if T.O sets a record for time to implosion.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #252
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Exactly. I'm not sure you understand the quote.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #253
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
No, but I doubt the Dolphins secondary could cover Susannah Hoffs.

I'd like to cover Susannah Hoffs...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #254
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
The Seahawks deserved to lose with those fucking unis. I know I said it before, but damn.

This is one statement that I think everybody at FOFC can agree with.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #255
Swaggs
Coordinator

Damn... Limas Sweed is going to be thinking about that dropped TD for a long time. Particularly if the Steelers are on the wrong side of the playoff bubble at the end of the season.

Steelers' pass rush has been pretty subpar to this point. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like Polamalu's return will help and I think that is their biggest problem (well, along w/ being unable to run, but they won the SB w/o being able to run).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #256
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Damn... Limas Sweed is going to be thinking about that dropped TD for a long time. Particularly if the Steelers are on the wrong side of the playoff bubble at the end of the season.

Steelers' pass rush has been pretty subpar to this point. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like Polamalu's return will help and I think that is their biggest problem (well, along w/ being unable to run, but they won the SB w/o being able to run).

Which is so surprising to me (their pass rush). I figured with Woodley and Harrison back, and Timmons now starting... they'd be even better. Maybe they just need Polamalu back there as moral support too? I don't know. The offense needs to finish.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #257
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Nope. The Seahawks unis look perfect for them. They are hideous, but the fact that they retired the # 12 for the "twelth man, our fans) has always made me want to vomit up something that looks like those jerseys.

Joey Harrington would look good in one of those.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #258
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Didn't you just post in the drunk guy thread?

vetoed
Old 09-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #259
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What a bad feeling, losing to the Bengals.

Buck up, it's not as bad a feeling as it is for Bengals fans to watch the Steelers win like the last 18 Super Bowls. THAT pisses you off right there.

Oh but for that fluke play vs. Denver, the Bengals would be 3-0.

On another note, the Broncos are the worst 3-0 team in NFL history. The last second pass to beat Cincy, then they take care of the Browns and Raiders, who will fight each other for the #1 pick this year.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #260
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Browns and Raiders, who will fight each other for the #1 pick this year.

Kansas City and dare I say Tampa Bay may be in the mix here as well, but yeah, I agree with you on Denver in general.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants are the best team in the NFL. Period.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #262
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

The way the Giants walloped the Redskins was impressive.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The way the Giants walloped the Redskins was impressive.

They eased up on them, week one, Redskins got a late TD.

Giants were in control the whole time.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #264
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Can Shaun McDonald be a worse option at this point? He's not a deep threat, but he'll convert some first downs.

Count me as part of the group who thought no way Mike Wallace could challenge Sweed for the 3rd WR spot, when all we heard was how raw Wallace was. He's been really impressive.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #265
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Exactly. I'm not sure you understand the quote.

I am not sure you understand who you are talking to.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #266
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think the Ravens and Jets right now are very good as well, in the discussion for the best team right now.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #267
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Too bad they don't hand out trophies after Week 3.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #268
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I think the Ravens and Jets right now are very good as well, in the discussion for the best team right now.

I agree they both are very solid. I just think the Giants win at the Cowboys and pitching a shutout on the road put them ahead.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Too bad they don't hand out trophies after Week 3.

what's your point exactly?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #270
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what's your point exactly?

Who cares if the Giants are the best team after week 3, a point which I disagree with. It only matters who is the best in a few months.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #271
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Who cares if the Giants are the best team after week 3, a point which I disagree with. It only matters who is the best in a few months.

Yup. Beating the Redskins, Cowboys, and Buccaneers is nothing exactly to write home about, methinks.

If the Cards beat the Cowboys tonight, then it's easy to say that the Giants have played one of the easiest early schedules in the league.

Not to mention that getting too excited or too down about your team after only three weeks is foolish. Hell, everyone gave up on the Eagles after Week 12(13? 16? 17?) last year, and they rode to the NFC Championship game, beating the oh-so-dominant Giants along the way. "shrug"

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-27-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #272
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Can Shaun McDonald be a worse option at this point? He's not a deep threat, but he'll convert some first downs.

Count me as part of the group who thought no way Mike Wallace could challenge Sweed for the 3rd WR spot, when all we heard was how raw Wallace was. He's been really impressive.

Wallace has been way better at getting open on 3rd downs and going over the middle than I ever envisioned he would (even after some experience). When we picked him, I pictured a guy we would send deep 4-5 times a game to open up things underneath and maybe throw deep to every game or two.

McDonald seems like he can be a reliable inside guy that can make some first down grabs. I haven't given up on Sweed yet -- the talent to get open is there (again, kind of like with Nate W. in the early years), but he needs to put it all together soon or he probably won't be in the Steelers' long term plans.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #273
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

and in a few months we can discuss that, but since this is a week 3 discussion I see no reason to not discuss who is the best team currently.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yup. Beating the Redskins, Cowboys, and Buccaneers is nothing exactly to write home about, methinks.

If the Cards beat the Cowboys tonight, then it's easy to say that the Giants have played one of the easiest early schedules in the league.

3-0

2-0 in the division, including a road win.

A shut out on the road with a banged up defense, which in the NFL is huge no matter who you play.

1 INT in 3 games by Eli.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #275
Swaggs
Coordinator

Unfortunately, I think the Ravens look like the best team in the AFC (perhaps the NFL). I hate being 2 games back of them at this point.

It will be interesting to see how some of their older guys can hold up throughout the season, but right now they look pretty legit.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #276
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

You'd be wrong.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the Saints also need to be in the best team discussion
Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #278
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
3-0

2-0 in the division, including a road win.

A shut out on the road with a banged up defense, which in the NFL is huge no matter who you play.

1 INT in 3 games by Eli.

I didn't say that the Giants were not a "good" team. In fact, I think they're the best team in the division at this point.

But I also do not think they are the best team in the NFL at this point. I think most people would take Baltimore and the Jets over the Giants.

Baltimore's offense has been extremely good to go with their always strong defense. In my opinion, we'll be really impressed with the three teams the Jets have beaten early on this season at the end of the year. I'd probably put the Saints over the Giants as well, but that's a coin-flip. I think most would argue that Vikings/Giants is a coin-flip as well.

Throw in the Colts (who knows how they'll end up tonight), and it's no slam dunk that the Giants are the best team at this point.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-27-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I didn't say that the Giants were not a "good" team. In fact, I think they're the best team in the division at this point.

But I also do not think they are the best team in the NFL at this point. I think most people would take Baltimore and the Jets over the Giants.

Baltimore's offense has been extremely good to go with their always strong defense. In my opinion, we'll be really impressed with the three teams the Jets have beaten early on this season at the end of the year. I'd probably put the Saints over the Giants as well, but that's a coin-flip. I think most would argue that Vikings/Giants is a coin-flip as well.

Throw in the Colts (who knows how they'll end up tonight), and its no slam dunk that the Giants are the best team at this point.

I would agree with all of this, everyone has bad wins if that makes sense. Honestly I think the Jets are the most impressive so far with their wins.

We all know I get a little excited.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #280
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Not to mention that getting too excited or too down about your team after only three weeks is foolish. Hell, everyone gave up on the Eagles after Week 12(13? 16? 17?) last year, and they rode to the NFC Championship game, beating the oh-so-dominant Giants along the way. "shrug"

I really doubt that will happen.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #281
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think the Ravens look like the best team in the AFC (perhaps the NFL). I hate being 2 games back of them at this point.

It will be interesting to see how some of their older guys can hold up throughout the season, but right now they look pretty legit.

I agree with this. Ravens, Vikings, and Giants are the best teams at this point. All 3 have great defenses and a solid running game. The Ravens have learned to score points this year, scary thought for the rest of the NFL.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #282
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Haha, yeah Im willing to one up you and say there is no way this will happen.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #283
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sweed is useless!!!

Hey!!!
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #284
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The 49ers could have easily blown out the Vikes if it weren't for the kickoff returned for a TD and a miracle last second hail mary.

The 49ers had one crazy bounce go their way that resulted in a TD. The Vikes had two. Next time you watch the game take off your purple sunglasses, you might see two teams playing.

Did the 49ers even have a yard in the first half? And where were these crazy bounces you talk about? The Vikings drafted Harvin because of his big play ability and signed Favre for is veteran leadership and ability to carry a team inside of 2 minutes. They arent the miracle plays you want to think they are. You go ahead and tell the 49ers front office to draft speed and then you tell me if big plays are so unusual.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know it's been a few hours, but I just got to the computer after going to the Lions game. The stadium was only about 75% full, but really got loud when it needed to.

It was great to see them finally win a game. Stafford still has some accuracy issues, but he showed some progress today. He didn't force anything, taking sacks and throwing it away when he had to, and threw to spectacular passes, the touchdown to Bryant Johnson and the pass at the end of the game to Heller. He still has some accuracy issues, however, missing some open receivers.

The Lions started 5 rookies today: Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, Sammie-Lee Hill and Deandre Levy. This is something that the old regime never did. They didn't let the young kids play. It's good to see, at least you know if they can play or not. Levy was really good out there today. He made a couple of key plays. Not bad for his first game.

The Lions ran the ball really well. Smith was on his way for a career day until he got hurt. They also shut the 'Skins run game down completely.

The Lions are now 2-0 when I'm at Ford Field.

I walked by Katie Holmes while in the stadium. She and Tom (and Suri) were at the game. I guess they are friends with Dan Snyder, though some guy said he saw Tom Cruise doing a fist pump after the Lions won.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #286
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
... Browns and Raiders, who will fight each other for the #1 pick this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Kansas City and dare I say Tampa Bay may be in the mix here as well, but yeah, I agree with you on Denver in general.
Mark your calendars for week 14 when Cleveland travels to Kansas City. Have two 0-13 teams ever met? I put the odds right now of this happening at 65%.

Tampay Bay seems like giant killers compared to KC, Cleveland and St. Louis. The Raiders actually have a decent defense but JaMarcus Russell is without a doubt the new Ryan Leaf. I don't blame him -- he's getting no coaching, but like others before him it's too late to fix him.

Between St. Louis and the loser of the KC/Cleveland game, we have two great 0-16 contenders. Oakland is destined to win two (they already won in KC) and Tampa will find a way to win 1 or 2.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #287
RedKingGold
College Starter

Oh, and Faith Hill is hot.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #288
kcchief19
Pro Starter

And on further review, it looks like Brian Waters will win his bet with Todd Haley over whether 53 guys off the street can win two games in the NFL.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #289
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, and Faith Hill is hot.
Really? I was just thinking watching the opening that her hotness has declined precipitously.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #290
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Haha, yeah Im willing to one up you and say there is no way this will happen.

You 2 beat me to it, I was ready to offer up a signature bet....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #291
Tigercat
College Starter

Saints playing the two New York teams in their next two games should give us a good idea at who is the best team in the early NFL season.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #292
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Really? I was just thinking watching the opening that her hotness has declined precipitously.

Really? I was just thinking reading your post that your heterosexuality has declined precipitously.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #293
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cutler with two huge 4th quarter performances in his first three games. I stand pleased.

Though our offensive line really, REALLY needs to open a hole for the running game sometime, ever.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #294
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Saints playing the two New York teams in their next two games should give us a good idea at who is the best team in the early NFL season.

oo, saints/jets has me looking forward to next week already, awesome.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #295
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Really? I was just thinking reading your post that your heterosexuality has declined precipitously.

Well, you'd certainly know a lot about that...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #296
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The tight end around -- brilliant!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #297
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

the broncos are the best team in the nfl right now

3-0, winning their last two games against west virginia state and geneva college, and then that last second magical play against the bengals and the bengals just beat the super bowl champion steelers and the steelers beat the titans who had the best record last year and had won a division that has peyton manning in it who won a super bowl that one time and so did his brother eli who plays for the giants so the the titans are clearly better than both of those teams and oh yeah jacksonville is also in that division and they are not the best because they dont have brett favre but brett favre only won because greg lewis caught the ball and greg lewis was cut by the patriots earlier so the patriots are clearly no good but they beat atlanta who made the playoffs last year and denver beat atlanta in a super bowl like 11 or 12 years ago so denver is the best

and brandon jacobs wears army boots

go broncos
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #298
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did the 49ers even have a yard in the first half? And where were these crazy bounces you talk about? The Vikings drafted Harvin because of his big play ability and signed Favre for is veteran leadership and ability to carry a team inside of 2 minutes. They arent the miracle plays you want to think they are. You go ahead and tell the 49ers front office to draft speed and then you tell me if big plays are so unusual.

The two plays I mentioned are no more/less about talent then a blocked field goal returned for a TD.

Tell the 49ers to draft speed? Who are you Al Davis? Yeah, that's a great strategy.

Lets not forget that the 49ers were without the best player on their team throughout the game (Gore - 1 carry for 3 yards). How would this game have looked without Favre, or without Peterson? The Vikings beat the Lions and Browns in come from behind victories, and the 49ers on a hail mary with :02 left.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 09-27-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #299
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

You're telling me that a 101-yard Punt Return and that catch by Greg Lewis aren't unusual?

I think it's pretty crappy that people are taking what was a great game played by both teams and trying to turn it into "well, the other team sucked and shouldn't have been in it." I mean, check this post from a Vikings blog after the game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucks Nucks
Wow,
What a finish. We dominated those losers and deserved the win. Frank Gore would not have even made a difference had he been healthy. It just shows that the cream rises and the dirt sinks to the bottom. They did not even belong on the same field with us. A truly dominating performance by us despite the deceivingly close score. For the Vikes, Super Bowl baby! For the Niners, bottom of the west baby! Niners, your story book season is over, next week = a victory for the Rams!

I just don't even know what to say. The 49er Defense was incredibly impressive up until the very end of the game. Shaun Hill played a very good game, and the Niners didn't fold even though they were without their most talented offensive player for nearly the entire game. The Vikings pulled this game out by the skin of their teeth, and good on them for not giving up...but to say that the Niners didn't belong on the same field is just ridiculous.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #300
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The two plays I mentioned are no more/less about talent then a blocked field goal returned for a TD.

Tell the 49ers to draft speed? Who are you Al Davis? Yeah, that's a great strategy.

Lets not forget that the 49ers were without the best player on their team throughout the game (Gore - 1 carry for 3 yards). How would this game have looked without Favre, or without Peterson? The Vikings beat the Lions and Browns in come from behind victories, and the 49ers on a hail mary with :02 left.

Im not sure that I understand this post at all. You are complaining about 2 big plays the Vikings had but yet you are also mocking speed??? Harvin is a playmaker he is going to return kicks for touchdowns. He actually has had a long return in each game so its not unusual that he broke one. Favre has a long history of bringing teams back in the final minute Ive seen him do it to my Vikings numerous times. So again not that unusual.

I really dont think Gore would have made much of a difference. You beat the Vikings though the air and you seen that later in the game. It might have actually helped the niners as they didnt feel a need to run the ball so much and get little to nothing from it.

Come from behind victories? They beat the Browns by 20+ and the Lions by 14. I guess you can call it what you want but the Vikings easily won them games.

And yes the 49ers are a good team. They played like shit in the first half and somehow had the lead but they were far from the better team. Vikings outgained them by over 200 yards.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-27-2009 at 09:10 PM.