Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #251
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Now what? Knight C7, queen D6 and bishop C9?

I agree with the first two moves but what about bishop to F4?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #252
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
The knight and the queen sound fine as there should be at least 1 treasure in those two squares. I'm not so sure about the bishop though. Of the 7 spots the bishop has access to, we know the top row is blank. That means 3 of the 6 spots are treasures. Picking any one of those six is probably better odds than going to C9. At least I think so. Let me know if your math comes out different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Good points. I kinda lost track of the math in the last couple of moves. I really have no idea for the bishop at the moment, just trying to keep us moving.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #253
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now what? Knight C7, queen D6

Quote:

I like these three moves. Let's do it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #254
Butter
Coordinator

Move my knight from E8 to C7.

Last edited by Butter : 08-14-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #255
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm planning on holding off on the bishop move to see what comes of the other two moves. Just on the off chance that we learn something from them that helps me with mine.

I haven't charted stuff out in the last couple of days, so if I'm just being silly here - there are no further possible dependencies, for example - then just tell me and I'll put in a move.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #256
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Move my knight from E8 to C7.

Congratulations, team! You have located your third treasure. The blue ones are worth $5,000 each.

$5,000 is added to the group pot.

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-14-2009 at 10:40 AM.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #257
hoopsguy
General Manager

5 chests worth $5,000 each
4 chests worth $10,000 each
3 chests worth $15,000 each
2 chests worth $20,000 each
1 chest worth $25,000.

So two 10K and one 5K ... probably about what we could expect given that 60% of the chests are in these price ranges.

So, semi-related question. What is the mole's goal here? Does he want our group to fail to collect money? Does he not care one way or the other about our success here? I'm not all that familiar with the agenda of that role as the game progresses.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #258
MJ4H
Coordinator

The role of the mole is to try to prevent the team from winning money without being discovered.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #259
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I tried new calculations. Here are the top three options still reachable for the last two pieces (I calculating the odds for each cell per piece pre and post move that gave us information, doing the 1 - not * not * not result in some cells having 70's odds, which seemed... odd ):
D4 = 40% (= (1/2 + 7/23)/2)
D6 = 33% (= (1/2 + 1/5 + 7/23)/3)
E6 = 32% (= (1/3 + 7/23)/2)
all others came up 30% or lower
Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #260
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I tried new calculations. Here are the top three options still reachable for the last two pieces (I calculating the odds for each cell per piece pre and post move that gave us information, doing the 1 - not * not * not result in some cells having 70's odds, which seemed... odd ):
D4 = 40% (= (1/2 + 7/23)/2)
D6 = 33% (= (1/2 + 1/5 + 7/23)/3)
E6 = 32% (= (1/3 + 7/23)/2)
all others came up 30% or lower

I had a long post disputing your math, but now I see that my math is wrong too. As a math problem, this one is bugging me.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #261
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm still not sure what the right math is. In a way I think we managed to get past the wrongdoing by adding logic to it. As someone put, it feels like extreme minesweeper.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #262
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still not sure what the right math is. In a way I think we managed to get past the wrongdoing by adding logic to it. As someone put, it feels like extreme minesweeper.

Regardless of the math, I like your suggestion of the Queen to D4 as our next move.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #263
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bump - just looking to see if others are putting in moves before I act with the remaining bishop.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #264
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm hoping we've got guys around to make the final few moves. Everything is pretty well mapped out, but we just need people to make them.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #265
MIJB#19
Coordinator

yeah, only 2 moves left to be made:
samifan24's queen and hoopsguy's bishop
Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #266
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm open to suggestions.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #267
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions.

D4
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #268
hoopsguy
General Manager

The queen move can potentially give me a data point for my last move. Similarly, I can do the same for him but I think that the queen is the one with the highest probability move right now, correct?

Also, is it D4 or D6 that we want the queen to occupy?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #269
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
The queen move can potentially give me a data point for my last move. Similarly, I can do the same for him but I think that the queen is the one with the highest probability move right now, correct?

Also, is it D4 or D6 that we want the queen to occupy?

Either of the two is fine. There is a treasure in one of the two spots, but we don't know which one.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #270
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Either of the two is fine. There is a treasure in one of the two spots, but we don't know which one.

D6 has a much higher percentage in the map on the previous page, should I just go there?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #271
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
D6 has a much higher percentage in the map on the previous page, should I just go there?

Go for it.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #272
samifan24
Pro Starter

My queen to D6.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #273
MJ4H
Coordinator

$5,000 has been added to the group pot.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #274
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've got E7 as a high priority spot based on the numbers I've run up to this point. Unless someone feels strongly about going somewhere else I want to go there.

Right now, E7 is in the crosshairs for three pieces with 3+ on it and it was formerly in line with the queen with 7. There may have been another piece that had access to this spot earlier, but that is what I recall from memory.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #275
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've got E7 as a high priority spot based on the numbers I've run up to this point. Unless someone feels strongly about going somewhere else I want to go there.

Right now, E7 is in the crosshairs for three pieces with 3+ on it and it was formerly in line with the queen with 7. There may have been another piece that had access to this spot earlier, but that is what I recall from memory.

E7 is in the crosshairs of only 2 pieces. Your bishop was blocked from E7 by the Queen, so its three treasure spots are on the two diagonals going up the board. There may be a treasure at E7, but you can't use the bishop to know.

I personally would go to either F4 or D2, but I'm fine with you taking any shot you want since we've already done better than I thought we would.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #276
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm not sure I understand - why would I not be able to use the bishop to go to E7? The path looks clear in the board above.

If you are saying that the number yields only the spaces that are available for a move at the time the piece is placed - and therefore that the diagonal down was not calculated in the "3" value that was assigned - then can you cite the rule that states this? Or can MJ4H clarify on this point?

Even if this is the case, the piece still intersects the Queen (7), one of the two available remaining spots for the horse in C7 (six of the eight have been ruled out on my board), and the rook (3). I still consider this to be a very high value spot.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #277
MJ4H
Coordinator

The number quoted is given at the time the piece is placed and is only valid for that time. Things can change afterwards to make what that piece can reach/see different (ie other pieces moving, treasures being found, etc.), but that number won't change. You will have to infer those things on your own. (I hope I got what you were asking)

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-16-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #278
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand - why would I not be able to use the bishop to go to E7? The path looks clear in the board above.

If you are saying that the number yields only the spaces that are available for a move at the time the piece is placed - and therefore that the diagonal down was not calculated in the "3" value that was assigned - then can you cite the rule that states this? Or can MJ4H clarify on this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
For the record, order of placement does matter. If the queen had been placed after the king in time, the queen would be able to "see" fewer pieces, since the king makes fewer legal moves for the queen.

Quote:
Even if this is the case, the piece still intersects the Queen (7), one of the two available remaining spots for the horse in C7 (six of the eight have been ruled out on my board), and the rook (3). I still consider this to be a very high value spot.

Go for it. Even without the bishop count, this spot still looks decent. If you are feeling it...go for it.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #279
hoopsguy
General Manager

Lets finish this one off. I'll move the bishop to E7.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #280
MJ4H
Coordinator

$20,000 is added to the group pot!

That concludes our mission! Fairly successful after a pretty lackluster start. The group added $50,000 to the pot. After adding $20,000 in the first mission, the group pot now stands at $70,000. The mole must be disappointed with that showing. Or maybe he is waiting until more money is on the line to risk his overt sabotaging? Either way, with 2 missions out of the way, we will be losing our first player soon. Enjoy this evening, tomorrow, the first quiz will be given out. With it, our first execution is just around the corner.

Rest well, gentlemen.

By the way, here was the map to all the treasures:

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #281
hoopsguy
General Manager

Nice!

MJ4H - will you show us where the other chests were on the board? Or does that remain secret?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #282
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah I did in the previous post. Edited after I posted.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #283
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe we didn't hit a treasure with our initial placements. Our host must have been laughing as almost every piece was adjacent to a treasure.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #284
MJ4H
Coordinator

Alright folks, the quiz is ready. Let me give you a quick run-down of the procedures for the quiz.

1) You request the quiz from me via PM when you have a few minutes to sit down and fill it out.
2) I send the quiz to you via PM.
3) You answer each question on the quiz with a single letter and send it back to me via PM.
4) Your quiz is graded by me. The person with the least number of correct answers is eliminated via execution. Ties are broken by speed. If two people are tied for least number correct, the slowest time from the time I sent the quiz to you to the time I received your answers will be the one executed.

I will be available to send the quiz this evening. I will post in the thread at that time. Do not request it until then as I have a very busy day today and won't have time until then.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #285
MIJB#19
Coordinator

2 more treasures, ey? well done, team!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #286
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Alright folks, the quiz is ready. Let me give you a quick run-down of the procedures for the quiz.

1) You request the quiz from me via PM when you have a few minutes to sit down and fill it out.
2) I send the quiz to you via PM.
3) You answer each question on the quiz with a single letter and send it back to me via PM.
4) Your quiz is graded by me. The person with the least number of correct answers is eliminated via execution. Ties are broken by speed. If two people are tied for least number correct, the slowest time from the time I sent the quiz to you to the time I received your answers will be the one executed.

I will be available to send the quiz this evening. I will post in the thread at that time. Do not request it until then as I have a very busy day today and won't have time until then.

I was in a hurry when I wrote the above so let me clarify something quickly. In order to be as fair as possible, you must request the quiz from me before you can take it. This is to prevent people that just happen to be online with free time when I post the quiz from having a significant time advantage over those that are not around. One other option would be to schedule a time when everyone could be here, but I think this works better. For now this is what we will do, but if people have suggestions about another way that would be fair and easier, I'm of course open to that.

For now, though, request the quiz, but not until about 4:30pm central time today. I will be pretty busy until then.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #287
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
For now, though, request the quiz, but not until about 4:30pm central time today. I will be pretty busy until then.

Wait, I'm confused. So we can't request it until 4:30 central time even though we still have to wait to take it?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #288
MJ4H
Coordinator

What you do is request it sometime this evening when you have some free time for it. I will immediately send it when I get your request (that's why I have to be around). Then you will take it and send it back. You requesting it is so that you get to take it and your timer starts to run at a time when you are at your computer with time to take it. Starting at about 4:30 this evening, I will post here saying I'm available for you to request the quiz. Whenever you are here after that time, request it and take it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #289
MJ4H
Coordinator

I am now here for the next 2 hours or so. If you have time to take the quiz, 10 questions, shoot me a PM and I will send it to you. Don't forget as soon as I send it to you, the timer starts, and time counts in tie breakers.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #290
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bummer, was hoping to do this now but I don't see you (MJ4H) online. I'll try again tomorrow evening.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #291
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm here for a few minutes before bed. Just finished my workout. Say, until 10:45 my time.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #292
MJ4H
Coordinator

OK I sent the quiz to at least one person. Just do it and send it to me when you are finished. I am going to bed. The timestamp on the message is all I need along with your answers. I'll post when I'm available to send the quiz tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #293
MJ4H
Coordinator

I am home for the evening. Request quiz at your convenience!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #294
MJ4H
Coordinator

Still waiting on one more quiz, then we will have the execution.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #295
MIJB#19
Coordinator

oh goody, can't wait for the execution!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #296
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I hope its MJ4H! hes very confident!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #297
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I also think lathum is a wolf!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #298
MJ4H
Coordinator

I believe I have all I need. Unfortunately busy night today and tomorrow. Will try to get execution prepared ASAP, though.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #299
Poli
FOFC Survivor

it's okay...go ahead and let hoopsguy know he's been executed.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #300
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
it's okay...go ahead and let hoopsguy know he's been executed.

I hope not. I can't believe that anyone would really think that I'm the mole after that last challenge but I guess we'll see soon enough.