Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #251
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, I know I'm a few hours behind here, but here's my thought on the Steelers-Ravens game:

I couldn't hear the referee's explanation of the Steelers' touchdown (I was in a crowded bowling center), but it sure looked like a touchdown to me. When he gained possession of the ball, the tip of the ball was across the plane of the goal line. So, if we accept that, that satisfies one part of the result. The second part is that he has to come down with the ball, and that would require the receiver coming to the ground and maintaining possession. He did that, too. Again, I don't know what the referee said, but the call seemed correct to me. Looked like a touchdown after seeing the replay. If there had been no camera right on the goal line, there's not enough evidence to overturn, but there was a camera there, so I thought it was pretty clear.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-14-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #252
Jas_lov
College Starter

We learned two things from tonight's game- The Giants definitely aren't the best team in the nfl by far, and they are really missing Plaxico Burress, the 3rd best wide receiver in the nfl.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #253
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
We learned two things from tonight's game- The Giants definitely aren't the best team in the nfl by far, and they are really missing Plaxico Burress, the 3rd best wide receiver in the nfl.

Missing Jacobs is BY FAR the bigger issue.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #254
st.cronin
General Manager

I thought it was pretty clearly a touchdown, too.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #255
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
lol you just get better and better
Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #256
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
lol you just get better and better

In his defense he is making fun of me, which I know him making fun of anyone if laughable considering his Ryan Grant meltdown
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #257
Jas_lov
College Starter

And don't forget Aaron Rodgers for MVP.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And don't forget Aaron Rodgers for MVP.

true. We all know Brandon Jacobs has that honor
Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #259
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:

It shouldn't be a shock that without the two best players on the team, the Giants aren't still the best team in the NFL.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #260
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
It shouldn't be a shock that without the two best players on the team, the Giants aren't still the best team in the NFL.

I wouldn't say they are the 2 best but it is close.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #261
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #262
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Hey! What the hell, how can Johnnie Lee Higgins score a TD and ruin the Pats' score???

It's nice to see him get involved in the passing game the past couple of weeks...

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #263
JeeberD
General Manager

Double dola-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
your probably correct, my comment was more that if he doesnt think it is a big deal he is crazy.

Call me crazy if you want, but it didn't appear to be a big deal in regards to the actual game.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Double dola-

Call me crazy if you want, but it didn't appear to be a big deal in regards to the actual game.

I think it remains to be seen. Do you really htink Romo and co. want to go through this the rest of the season and next year?

It's easy to get along when you win.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #265
JeeberD
General Manager

Hey, I'm all for letting TO go when his contract is up...

I can't get into too much of a discussion on the topic since I was at work and couldn't watch the game. I would have loved to have been able to see the sideline dynamics between all the key characters...

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #266
JeeberD
General Manager

Man, DWare's just 3.5 sacks away from tying Strahan's single season record. The dude has been amazing this year...at least one sack in every single game except one.

Also, I've been really impressed with Tashard Choice in the past two and a half games. I think he needs to keep getting touches even when Barber's healthy again...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #267
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Man, DWare's just 3.5 sacks away from tying Strahan's single season record. The dude has been amazing this year...at least one sack in every single game except one.

Also, I've been really impressed with Tashard Choice in the past two and a half games. I think he needs to keep getting touches even when Barber's healthy again...

Too bad the Cowboys don't play the Jets, or he might get some help with that record.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #268
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

How come every time I actually root for the Giants to win, they lose? Bah

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #269
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I admit it. I was hoping the Chiefs would pull it out yesterday, but I was rolling on the couch laughing when our kicker pulled left the winning FG attempt. Those last two minutes yesterday were the season in a nutshell.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #270
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't say they are the 2 best but it is close.

That is a stretch.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #271
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

come on Cowher power in Buffalo next season...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #272
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
come on Cowher power in San Diego next season...

fixed.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #273
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am disgusted right now.

There is no shame losing to a division opponent on the road, but the Cowgirls weren't impressive and the Giants still couldn't win.

Dallas was pretty impressive defensively last night and the past 4-5 weeks or so. Agreed that offensively they were inconsistent to poor, their pass protection has been attrocious the past couple weeks admittedly against good defenses. I think the Giants were pretty clearly hurt by their injuries (lumping Plaxico into that as well), but forgive me if I don't cry after they got a shot at the Brad Johnson led Cowboys earlier this year.

I don't want to get too crazy, but if Carolina wins against the Giants next week and Minnesota can hold off Atlanta at home, the Vikings would face the Giants the last week of the season with a win giving them a first round playoff bye, which is beyond shocking considering how the NFC looked back when 5-5 was good enough to lead the NFC North.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #274
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

dola

I notice neither Al nor John mentioned Choice should've just sat on the 1 yard line instead of scoring the TD a la Brian Westbrook from last year (against Dallas no less). Then it would've just been 3 kneels and game over instead of letting the Giants get the ball back.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #275
JeeberD
General Manager

You can't blame the kid for being excited and not thinking about that. Besides, it was just a one score game at that point. What if there was a fluke fumble on one of the kneel downs and the Eagles ran it in? Choice would have been crucified...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #276
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
dola

I notice neither Al nor John mentioned Choice should've just sat on the 1 yard line instead of scoring the TD a la Brian Westbrook from last year (against Dallas no less). Then it would've just been 3 kneels and game over instead of letting the Giants get the ball back.

There was still the 2 minute warning, correct? So another stoppage and they would've maybe had to kick the FG, then everyone would blast them for not trying to run in circles for 30 seconds to finish the game. It's called football, he ran up the middle against one of the better defenses in the game in a one-score game. Blame the G-men for letting him run through them on a known running down.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #277
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
There was still the 2 minute warning, correct? So another stoppage and they would've maybe had to kick the FG, then everyone would blast them for not trying to run in circles for 30 seconds to finish the game. It's called football, he ran up the middle against one of the better defenses in the game in a one-score game. Blame the G-men for letting him run through them on a known running down.

The clock was running with the Giants having no time outs and his run would've given them a new first down and taken the 2:20 or whatever down to the 2 minute warning, so there would've been time for 3 kneels and game over.

I'm not trying to nitpick this and say the rookie RB should've realized this. Choice has played a pair of good games against very good defenses. The Cowboys defense was playing great (although they were against Pittsburgh until late in the 4th quarter also). The Giants would've needed a remarkable finish to score a pair of TD's with under 2 minutes to go and no time outs. I just wanted to point out that this was the exact situation where Westbrook went down a yard shy of the goal line (almost a year to that very game in fact). Even though the Giants would've had long odds scoring two TD's in under 2 minutes with no timeouts, I think kneeling three times is safer than giving them even that slim chance.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #278
MikeVic
Head Coach

So what happened in that Jets/Bills game? The Bills QB went back for a pass when they could have just run it or kneeled?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #279
remper
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So what happened in that Jets/Bills game? The Bills QB went back for a pass when they could have just run it or kneeled?

There was a little over 2:00 to go Bills had the ball 2nd and 5 on their own 30 or so. The previous drive they had run the ball right at the Jets and scored a TD to take the lead by 3. JP Losman had been struggling with accuracy on his throws throughout. Add to that, that the Bills defense had been shutting down the Jets offense through most of the 2nd half.

So the play call is ...a roll out pass... Losman is sacked from behind after holding the ball waaaaaay too long, he fumbles, picked up by the Jets and run in for a TD.

If the Bills had continued to run the ball at worst they would have been able to pin the Jets back and force them to move the ball down the field, which they hadn't been able to do the whole 2nd half. Favre was not playing well on this day either.

So...long story short.. typical poor decisions that teams that don't know how to win make to blow a lead.

I live near Chicago, we know what its like to watch a Jauron coached team blow games.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #280
watravaler
High School JV

It's too bad the Bears will probably finish at 10-6 and miss the playoffs, as they really should be 11-3/10-4 at this point, and they have already out-played Carolina/the Giants aren't scaring anyone without Plax/Jacobs. The NFC appears to be wide-open right now!

With that being said, it will be a fun two weeks!
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #281
Hurst2112
College Starter

Pat Williams out 2-6 weeks with fractured shoulder.

interesting....

Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch out until playoffs.

Steelers' road to number 1 seed just got a lot easier.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #282
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
Pat Williams out 2-6 weeks with fractured shoulder.

interesting....

Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch out until playoffs.

Steelers' road to number 1 seed just got a lot easier.

So they can fold at home this season too? =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #283
Logan
Head Coach

Should've taken the suspension.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #284
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
There was a little over 2:00 to go Bills had the ball 2nd and 5 on their own 30 or so. The previous drive they had run the ball right at the Jets and scored a TD to take the lead by 3. JP Losman had been struggling with accuracy on his throws throughout. Add to that, that the Bills defense had been shutting down the Jets offense through most of the 2nd half.

So the play call is ...a roll out pass... Losman is sacked from behind after holding the ball waaaaaay too long, he fumbles, picked up by the Jets and run in for a TD.

If the Bills had continued to run the ball at worst they would have been able to pin the Jets back and force them to move the ball down the field, which they hadn't been able to do the whole 2nd half. Favre was not playing well on this day either.

So...long story short.. typical poor decisions that teams that don't know how to win make to blow a lead.

I live near Chicago, we know what its like to watch a Jauron coached team blow games.

It gets worse the more I think about it. What are the odds the Bills could get a total of 5 yards on two carries at that point? I'd say around 90%. Game over if they do it. Even it by some miracle they don't, what the odds Favre doesn't throw the game away coming back the other way?

I'm all for throwing when a run seems obvious. That can work really well. But even Brady and Manning aren't throwing in that scenario.

Last edited by molson : 12-16-2008 at 06:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #285
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The Eagles need to stop their trend of terrible plays right before the half.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Philly defense needs to step it up some more.

I need 23 points from them tonight to pull off a #4 over #1 upset in one of my Yahoo leagues.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #287
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The Eagles need to stop their trend of terrible plays right before the half.

Just got back from the game. It didn't seem like they had as much offense as they did but mostly that was because of those two lousy interceptions in the end zone.

The crowd was electric early on but lopsided score (and the fact that it was the Browns) seemed to keep things relatively tame.

Overall it was a good night though. Met up with someone I used to work with for tailgating a couple hours before the game, good food, good times and good result.

2 more to go and a Christmas present of a Vikings win next week (If the Buccs or Falcons don't lose this upcoming week it's pretty much over as hanging a playoff spot on either the Raiders or Rams doesn't bode well).

If nothing else the Eagles at least have a chance to end the Cowboys' season on the final week and that's a worthy goal.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #288
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I really have to say, fantasy football guys can be REALLY annoying. At the game last night there were a couple guys sitting behind us who WAY too into fantasy football. I had to keep hearing this guy talking with his freand after almost every damn play about how it affected his team.

"I'm only 5.5 points behind now."

"If Jackson can score on this wildcat formation without McNabb throwing him the pass I can get X number of points."

"Now I need the Browns to score another touchdown so Eric (the owner he was playing against and who also kept calling him during the game) doesn't get as many points from the Philly defense."

"Why did they take Westbrook out? I could use some more points from him."

I thought it was only getting on my nerves until after the Eagles last touchdown when the guy next to me high fived everyone and turned to the guys behind us and said "I hope that cost you your fucking game."
Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #289
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I thought it was only getting on my nerves until after the Eagles last touchdown when the guy next to me high fived everyone and turned to the guys behind us and said "I hope that cost you your fucking game."

Haha!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #290
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I really have to say, fantasy football guys can be REALLY annoying.

I'm as big a fantasy football player as there is out there, and I can't stand being around people who can only comment on things related to their fantasy teams. The worst is when you're in a sports bar watching the games and you hear some d-bag wearing a Redskins jersey saying how it's okay that TO just scored on his team cause "at least I have him on my fantasy squad."

No one gives a shit about my team and no one gives a shit about your team. I'd love to see this board's weekly thread separated into NFL and fantasy talk.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #291
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think fantasy is opening the game up for more fans though... so that's a good thing.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #292
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It gets worse the more I think about it. What are the odds the Bills could get a total of 5 yards on two carries at that point? I'd say around 90%. Game over if they do it. Even it by some miracle they don't, what the odds Favre doesn't throw the game away coming back the other way?

I'm all for throwing when a pass seems obvious. That can work really well. But even Brady and Manning aren't throwing in that scenario.

I was watching the game and it was atrocious. Game was over. Lynch was dominating. JP Losman sucks. It doesn't take a genius to figure these things out. No wonder Dick Jauron is now on the chopping block. If he doesn't get fired, it will be a complete joke.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #293
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think fantasy is opening the game up for more fans though... so that's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I have played it in the past and enjoy it but it's entirely secondary to watching the games, if my team does good that's just a bonus.

It's the people who think that everyone else caresabout their fantasy football team that get annoying. Even wore to me was a guy I used to work with who was in a million leagues so every Monday we had to hear how whoever just had a great week was "on his fantasy football team". Dude, with all the teams you have EVERYONE is on one of your fantasy football teams.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I can't stand being around people who can only comment on things related to their fantasy teams.

That's okay. Fantasy was the only reason I had to give a particular damn about Eagles-Browns and I really can't stand being around people who don't live in either city who thought that game was particularly interesting beyond the fantasy implications it might have.

It all kind of evens out.