Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #251
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Seems kind of stupid to make a comment like that, doesn't it?

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=164

Redacted. I'm done arguing with you about anything.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #252
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I was surprised Microsoft didn't announce a motion/IR controller, after the whole "twist the controller" thing from that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts video the other day. It appears that they believe the best way to capture the casual audience is to release karaoke and movie trivia games...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

By the way, nice attempt to shift attention away from this bad news for Sony.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #254
MJ4H
Coordinator

They certainly were shameless enough to announce their mii rip-offs. Why not the controller rip-off, too? Maybe Nintendo's leak off the MotionPlus attachment prevented it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I was surprised Microsoft didn't announce a motion/IR controller, after the whole "twist the controller" thing from that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts video the other day. It appears that they believe the best way to capture the casual audience is to release karaoke and movie trivia games...

Technically, they did. The microphone shipping with Lips has motion action in it, though it's obviously not what was expected.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #256
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
All this news just settles once and for all that Sony went from "the" console last generation to "a" console this generation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #257
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
By the way, nice attempt to shift attention away from this bad news for Sony.

No, it had nothing to do with that. But you keep thinking that if it makes you feel better or helps you justify your earlier posts where you exhibit the same behavior.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #258
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, it had nothing to do with that. But you keep thinking that if it makes you feel better or helps you justify your earlier posts where you exhibit the same behavior.

The amount of spinning here is amazing. Either he's going to start drilling through the earth and end up in China, or he's going to reverse the Earth's natural spin.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #259
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe he's trying to save Lois Lane.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #260
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I noticed that you didn't post the information clarifying the exclusive announcement about FFXIII. I can't say that I'm all that surprised.

I've looked through the thread twice and still have no idea what you're talking about...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #261
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think he means that he didnt clarify that it's still exlusive to PS3 in Japan and thinks that should have been clarified. I dunno. I got nothin.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

Because the fact that it's exclusive in Japan is going to matter in Europe and the US, right?

The people who would've imported the Japanese version to play on their region-free PS3's are not people who would have dropped the PS3 over that game going multi-platform in the first place.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #263
MJ4H
Coordinator

It clearly matters because the 16 Japanese 360 owners can't play FFXIII now, ldo.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #264
wade moore
lolzcat

His point (whether it is important or not is up for debate) is that Microsoft will continue to have basically no presense in Japan. Getting FF may have allowed them to start to make inroads, but with it remaining a Sony exclusive the Xbox360 will continue to be a complete after thought (if that) in Japan.

I think it is debatable how important the Japan market is, but I think that is why MBBF says that it's an important distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #265
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
His point (whether it is important or not is up for debate) is that Microsoft will continue to have basically no presense in Japan. Getting FF may have allowed them to start to make inroads, but with it remaining a Sony exclusive the Xbox360 will continue to be a complete after thought (if that) in Japan.

I think it is debatable how important the Japan market is, but I think that is why MBBF says that it's an important distinction.

Japan is an untapped market at this point. The Wii and portable machine sales show that the selling audience is definitely there for the taking if MS or Sony can hit the sweet spot. But they haven't come even close to doing that. To be honest, neither of those consoles have been close to really doing well in any of the markets. They obviously aren't doing what needs to be done to sell units. The only reason MS has more sales in North America at this point is because of the launch one year in advance of the other consoles.

Another thing that definitely needs to be mentioned is just how little exclusive titles have done for consoles in this generation. Nintendo certainly benefits from its regular titles, but the real reason for the Wii's boom is the controller and the pack-in of Wii Sports which demonstrated the ways the controller could be used. Sony and MS both have exclusive games that honestly haven't boosted sales nearly as well as they should. Halo 3 was expected to create a big boost, but didn't provide anywhere near the boost that was expected. GTA4 was trumpeted by both MS and Sony for its selling power, but didn't come anywhere close to expectations in regards to hardware sales. Sony expected a boost from MGS4 , but the end result appears to be roughly the same size as the Halo 3 release. That's certainly not what they were expecting or needing.

I expect FFXIII to have even less of an impact on either console than GTA4 in North America and Europe. Microsoft has done its job of defusing a Sony advantage and that's what they needed to do. I personally don't care one way or another about the announcement. I still get to play FFXIII either way. But for the purposes of this discussion, Sony probably lost about 400-500K hardware sales that they would have had on release in Europe and North America.

My guess is that Sony decided to look at the bottom line in regards to exclusivity. They had the opportunity to line this up, but with the lack of impact regarding recent exclusives and their losses on the PS3, they probably just decided that it wasn't worth it. That's fine on an individual decision basis, but Sony needs to consider the impact that these kinds of things have on overall perception.

What both the 360 and PS3 really need more than anything is a $100+ price drop. Until that happens, they're both just pissing in the wind while Nintendo runs away with the consumer's dollars.

It will be interesting to see what Sony has in store for their E3 conference. They obviously knew that this announcement was coming. They better have an equally big counter-punch ready to go.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two more huge press conferences coming up today. Nintendo starts their conference at 12:00 PM EDT. Sony follows with their own conference at 2:30 PM EDT. Should be a lot to talk about today.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #267
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

C'mon megatons! Super Mario Galaxy sequel please.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #268
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope there's a new NintenDogs!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #269
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Animal Crossing: City Life to come bundled with "Wii Speak," a microphone that appears to sit on top of the Wii sensor bar above the TV. Finally the Wii will have voice chat.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #270
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

How long is Reggie going to talk about sales numbers? Does he think that there are people in the gaming community that don't know about how well the Wii is selling? For the love of God, show some games!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #271
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wife is pretty excited about the Animal Crossing stuff.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #272
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

COD actually looked pretty good on the Wii. The system needs more FPS so hopefully it turns out well.

Spore for the DS, not too interested in that since I'll be getting it for the PC. Now there's another Pokemon Ranger game coming.

hahahaha GTA on DS! GTA: Chinatown Wars.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #273
General Mike
Pro Starter

Is this woman on the Nintendo press conference a robot?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #274
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

PR person, same difference IMO
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #275
MJ4H
Coordinator

YES 1 to 1 swordfighting.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #276
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think the best thing out of that Nintendo conference for me was the Wii Music. I know that we have a lot of kids over (4 to 8 years of age) when we play Guitar Hero on the PS3 and the kids are really frustrated because it's tough for them to do well on even the lowest setting. I could definitely see me finally dusting off my Wii and getting it out for the kids to play Wii Music. All they have to do is swing the remote or push the buttons. Sounds like a good way to keep them busy.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #277
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
YES 1 to 1 swordfighting.

With your wii-ney?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Sony has leaked what was suspected. The latest PSP update released this week appears to include PSN movie and TV download functionality. So expect a download service to be announced in the Sony press conference. If anything, they needed this to counter the MS/Netflix announcement.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #279
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of teaser countdowns of note. Bungie has a countdown on their website that ends tomorrow. Rumor is that it may be a Halo 3 expansion.

Also, the Resistance 2 website has a countdown that ends July 22nd. No word yet on what it might be.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #280
twothree
College Prospect

Yay!
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #281
MJ4H
Coordinator

christ my wife is going to do backflips
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #282
General Mike
Pro Starter

Why should I care about anything Sony announced?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #283
KWhit
Coordinator

What did they announce?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #284
MikeVic
Head Coach

A coworker was talking about a price drop of $100 on the 80GB PS3? And starting tonight you can rent and buy TV shows and movies from their network... 1080p. Play on the TV or your PSP.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #285
General Mike
Pro Starter

God of War 3 for PS3, 80 GB PS3 for $399 in September (comes with nothing extra, maybe no backward compatability?) and I blanked on the rest cause I was trying to watch Friday the 13th: The Series
Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #286
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dammit, no backward compatibility? I thought they just stripped the packed-in game?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #287
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Dammit, no backward compatibility? I thought they just stripped the packed-in game?

Well they didn't announce that there was no backward compatibility, but they didn't announce it had it either.

Edit: Tretton said the same functionality as the 40 GB.

Last edited by General Mike : 07-15-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #288
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post

Yay!

What the hell is it?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #289
MJ4H
Coordinator

animal crossing
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #290
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I only caught the first hour of Nintendo's conference, looks like I didn't miss much. I'm pretty disappointed really. Wii Motion Plus won't be out until next year and that was the best thing they showed, and the game coming alongside wasn't what I was hoping for either.

I read the eurogamer.com summary of Sony's conference and wasn't impressed by that either. With all these shooters (MAG, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, etc.) Sony seems to be going after 360 owners more than anything, not the wide variety of games that made them a market leader the past two generations.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #291
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The best stuff on Nintendo systems this E3 comes from third parties

This Chrono Trigger DS preview should ease any fears about it being a quick rush-job or ruined with stylus controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up.com

What our take?: It's Chrono Trigger on the go. What's not to like? There is plenty to like, though. This is easily the most solid 16-bit port Square has ever put together; even in what company reps claim is a fairly unstable build, the game looks and sounds great. No slowdown, no sluggishness, no twitchy unpleasantness. All the problems that bogged down the PlayStation port from a few years back are completely wiped away; this is a game that's been reprogrammed as opposed to being done through shoddy emulation. And the music and sound effects are spot-on, free of the compressed, muffled quality that tend to affect Square's DS games -- good enough to sound perfect through a pair of high-quality headphones. Clearly, bringing aboard the game's original composer, Yasunori Mitsuda, was the right choice.

... read the rest at 1up.com if you want to

Here's a new trailer for MadWorld, an action game for Wii made by Platinum games:

Awesomeness at dailymotion.com

Can't wait to shove a sign post through somebody's head
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #292
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hmm... I wonder who this could be....
(caution, contains NSFW language)

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #293
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The milk-in-a-wine-glass was a nice touch!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #294
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
What did they announce?

Here's the quick and dirty list of what was announced at the Sony presser....

Quote:
-80 GB PS3 with no B/C for $399.
-New Infamous trailer. Release in Spring 2009.
-God of War III officially announced with new CG trailer.
-DC Universe online announced with new gameplay trailer.
-New trailer for Resistance 2. Release this holiday season.
-Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty confirmed. $14.99 price.
-MAG MMO game announced w/ CG trailer. 256 player online battles.
-New video download service goes online tonight with 8 studios already signed on (Sony, Fox, MGM, Lions Gate, Warner, Disney, Paramount, Turner, Funimation).
-Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic announced for the PSN. It's a sequel to the original game.
-Gran Turismo TV coming to GT5 Prologue owners. Definitely a European-targeted service.
-PS3 Greatest Hits line on the way later this fall.

The video service being ready right now was unexpected. MS isn't expected to have their service until later this fall. Pretty solid studios in the fold as well. Love the transfer option.

Sony had several big games to show. Having a great list of upcoming titles is fine, but at some point they have to start hitting the market. Sony's best move would be to fast-forward through the next few months and get to the holiday season ASAP.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #295
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hmm... I wonder who this could be....
(caution, contains NSFW language)

Judging from the burnt orange t-shirt with Nike logo, I'm guessing a certain Longhorn fan is begging for attention.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #296
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Judging from the burnt orange t-shirt with Nike logo, I'm guessing a certain Longhorn fan is begging for attention.

That's because you're just trying to throw us off the scent, you're not only a Sony plant, you're a secret Longhorn fan?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #297
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Here's the quick and dirty list of what was announced at the Sony presser....

The video service being ready right now was unexpected. MS isn't expected to have their service until later this fall. Pretty solid studios in the fold as well. Love the transfer option.

Sony had several big games to show. Having a great list of upcoming titles is fine, but at some point they have to start hitting the market. Sony's best move would be to fast-forward through the next few months and get to the holiday season ASAP.

The video service is, uh, not that different from what Microsoft already has. They'll sell you videos, which Live Video Marketplace doesn't do (and even with the Netflix partnership doesn't plan to do, but then, Microsoft doesn't own any movie studios, either), but rental in standard and hi-def? They've done that for a while.

Or are you playing a shell game again?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #298
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #299
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Capcom is bringing Dead Rising over to Wii. It's not a sequel.

Dead Rising Wii scans
Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #300
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The video service is, uh, not that different from what Microsoft already has. They'll sell you videos, which Live Video Marketplace doesn't do (and even with the Netflix partnership doesn't plan to do, but then, Microsoft doesn't own any movie studios, either), but rental in standard and hi-def? They've done that for a while.

Or are you playing a shell game again?

As you said, the option to buy is there. Also, I hadn't heard about movie portability with the MS service, but maybe I've missed some Zune functionality that's been announced.