Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I definitely mentioned in both the NBA 2k thread and the Gamertag thread that I couldn't even got on to sign-up for my account. Fortuanetely for me I must have been at the tail end as I couldn't get in one night, but the next day everything was peachy.

If it would have gone on for several days for me I would have been pretty pissed.

Ah, I see it now. Looks like you dodged most of the problem since you didn't try to log in until the very end of the outage.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #252
Butter
Coordinator

For my Wii, I have bought an extra Wiimote and a Nunchuk. $50, that is it. May get a couple of Gamecube controllers eventually so my kids can play the older Gamecube games, but we are having so much fun with Wii Sports, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, and the Super Mario titles, that we are going to be playing on those for a long while.

Also enjoy the weather and News feature thanks to my wireless connection. Love the fact that I didn't have to buy another adapter to get the Wii to hook up to my wireless network. Couldn't be happier with the Wii so far. At least until it sends out its mind control rays and takes us all over.

Last edited by Butter : 01-02-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #253
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Ah, I see it now. Looks like you dodged most of the problem since you didn't try to log in until the very end of the outage.

yeah, exactly... so for me personally, not a huge thing..

But if I was a paying customer and couldn't get in for a week I'd be pretty pissed. I think the smart thing for M$ would be to proactively credit a week to every Live account, not sure if they will though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #254
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But if I was a paying customer and couldn't get in for a week I'd be pretty pissed. I think the smart thing for M$ would be to proactively credit a week to every Live account, not sure if they will though.

From what I've seen in various posts/articles, Microsoft Support is citing the Terms of Service, which state that refunds will not be given for any service outages. So I'm guessing that refunds will not occur.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #255
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
From what I've seen in various posts/articles, Microsoft Support is citing the Terms of Service, which state that refunds will not be given for any service outages. So I'm guessing that refunds will not occur.

Figured as much.

Poor form. It may not have a big impact on their bottom line because people are kind of stuck, but that's very poor form. Poor enough to the extent that if this happened BEFORE I bought my 360 it may have made me lean towards the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #256
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Figured as much.

Poor form. It may not have a big impact on their bottom line because people are kind of stuck, but that's very poor form. Poor enough to the extent that if this happened BEFORE I bought my 360 it may have made me lean towards the PS3.

You should know better than to trust MBBF's guesses, Microsoft officials have already said that Gold users will be compensated. I guess he is technically correct in that full refunds are unlikely, but as usual, he presents a slanted view. More likely, users will get a service credit for the downtime:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=178284

A few excerpts from the article:

Xbox Live's director of programming Larry 'Major Nelson' Hryb posted several messages on his official blog, stating that "problems like this are not acceptable," and that "things are getting better each hour and that no one on the team is going anywhere until the job is done."

Now that most of the hiccups have been sorted, The Bitbag reports that Microsoft will be compensating their paying Xbox Live Gold subscribers for the problems. An unnamed Microsoft contact told the site: "we will definitely be doing something for our Gold members that weren't able to get online over the last week."
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #257
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If true, this is another blow to the PS3. According to an Xbox site (which is why I don't necessarily take it at face value), Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the 360 after all. It will be a timed exclusive on the PS3 for about a year, but some fans (myself included) who might have bought a PS3 for MGS4 will instead just wait for the 360 version:

http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?o...=1123&Itemid=2

An excerpt:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the Xbox 360. This is not a rumor. This is straight from a Konami distribution representative’s mouth. The game is already in production and has been since early 2007. Complete details after the jump:

No, the rep will not be named, but this is pretty concrete. Speaking to a Konami rep at an undisclosed distribution meeting, I was told, after a lot of nagging, that yes indeed MGS was in development for the 360. The rep stated that Metal Gear Solid will be released for the Xbox 360 between 12 to 14 months after the PS3 version hits shelves. This is not a rumor.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #258
Kodos
Resident Alien

I never enjoyed the MGS series. Too much trial and error gameplay. I don't like stealth games in general.

I will surely get a PS3. The only question really is when. Probably after another price drop...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #259
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Many rumors are swirling that Microsoft is going to partner with Toshiba (which will supposedly help them in the Japanese market?) to make a 360 with an integrated HD-DVD. Bill Gates has said an "important announcement" will be made at the CES show next week.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=178311

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-02-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #260
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Now that most of the hiccups have been sorted, The Bitbag reports that Microsoft will be compensating their paying Xbox Live Gold subscribers for the problems. An unnamed Microsoft contact told the site: "we will definitely be doing something for our Gold members that weren't able to get online over the last week."

If so, that is a change from what they were saying earlier in the week during the outage when Support staff was denying that any refund would take place. Certainly makes a lot more sense. Best to make a good move late rather than none at all.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #261
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Many rumors are swirling that Microsoft is going to partner with Toshiba (which will supposedly help them in the Japanese market?) to make a 360 with an integrated HD-DVD. Bill Gates has said an "important announcement" will be made at the CES show next week.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=178311

That's been in the works for over 4 months now. It certainly is an interesting swing if it does finally come to pass given that Microsoft and Toshiba have both stated that the integrated BR drive in the PS3 has little to no effect on HD movie unit sales.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #262
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If true, this is another blow to the PS3. According to an Xbox site (which is why I don't necessarily take it at face value), Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the 360 after all. It will be a timed exclusive on the PS3 for about a year, but some fans (myself included) who might have bought a PS3 for MGS4 will instead just wait for the 360 version:

This rumor will go on forever, legs or no legs. Impossible to verify the claim given its anonymous source, so it must be true.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #263
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
That's been in the works for over 4 months now. It certainly is an interesting swing if it does finally come to pass given that Microsoft and Toshiba have both stated that the integrated BR drive in the PS3 has little to no effect on HD movie unit sales.

Don't the sales figures support that assertion? Counting PS3s, the install base of Blu Ray to HD-DVD players is about 3.5 to 1, but title sales ratio is only about 1.5 to 1.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This rumor will go on forever, legs or no legs. Impossible to verify the claim given its anonymous source, so it must be true.

It's never been out there so blatantly. That site's credibility goes to pot if it ends up being untrue.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-02-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #265
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Don't the sales figures support that assertion? Counting PS3s, the install base of Blu Ray to HD-DVD players is about 3.5 to 1, but title sales ratio is only about 1.5 to 1.

Sales ratio is currently 62:38 in favor of Blu-ray since the inception of the formats. I'd agree that they do generally support that assertion.

Assuming that the built-in media players don't have that much of an effect, why would they add a HD-DVD drive to the console, which is going to result in a higher price point for that console and put it in direct competition with the PS3? IMO, the current strength of the Xbox 360 is that they are able to offer consumers a HD-gaming experience at a price point lower than the PS3. One of the major reasons they have that advantage is because of the lack of a HD-DVD drive. The addition of that drive would indicate two things:

1. They do believe that the BR drive in the PS3 does pose a threat on the HD-movie format war (I think that's true).

2. They believe that the general consumer may move to a more complete entertainment center rather than a gaming system along as the prices drop into the mass market price range (I think this is a move Bill Gates would love to make to try to integrate TV, PC and the 360 into one cohesive unit).

One problem that MS also faces is that they can't make games for the HD-DVD format without alienating their current user base which only has the DVD drive in their system. They're pretty much stuck with the DVD format for this generation as far as games go.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-02-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #266
Daimyo
College Starter

How much extra does it cost to stick in a HDDVD drive compared to a DVD drive? Reportedly, Toshiba was still turning a profit even on the SA players that sold for $100 so it can't be that much more. If it costs them $20 extra and they can sell them for $50 more (maybe only put them in the Elites?) then its certainly worth it.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #267
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, its pretty clear that the PS3 has had some effect on BR sales... PS3s don't sell as many discs as standalone players, but they certainly are selling some.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
How much extra does it cost to stick in a HDDVD drive compared to a DVD drive? Reportedly, Toshiba was still turning a profit even on the SA players that sold for $100 so it can't be that much more. If it costs them $20 extra and they can sell them for $50 more (maybe only put them in the Elites?) then its certainly worth it.

I would think they'd almost have to put it in the Elite unit. Most people that purchase a unit with a HD-DVD drive are going to want a larger HDD too.

Pricing could be all over the place. They may be willing to sell the unit at cost or for a slight loss to get more of the HD-DVD drives in the marketplace. If they do sell it at a loss, they'd likely have to drop the price of the HD-DVD add-on as well to make it somewhat comparable in pricing for those that already own a 360 without a HD-DVD drive.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #269
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Yes, but we also have to consider that there may be (most likely very small) contingent of people buying HD-DVD combo disks who don't have HD players, as a "future proof" sort of thing.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #270
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It doesn't really affect me since I would already have bought the PS3 version, but if MGS4 were to eventually come out on the 360 I would be all for it, everywhere video games are discussed on the Internet the fanboy tears would be EPIC.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #271
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ubisoft delays three of their titles into fiscal year 2008.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15382/...ee-Key-Titles/

Quote:
Ubisoft announced it has postponed the release of three titles, Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway, Far Cry 2 and Tom Clancy's EndWar, into fiscal 2008, which begins in April.

The reason for the delay is to boost numbers for the 2007 fiscal year. Assassin's Creed has sold more copies than Ubisoft initially forecasted and by pushing back the release of these three titles, the publisher cuts on development and market
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #272
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New game info from Surfer Girl...............

Quote:
1) Factor 5's next title, a downloadable affair out next year, will feature multiplayer. Their next two titles will both be PS3-exclusive.

2) Discs of Tron and Tron will see finally release next year on XBLA.

3) EA Tiburon's Wii-exclusive title is a new intellectual property that is one of the two or three new intellectual properties from Tiburon that will see release next year.

4) Some of the 2008 additions to the Xbox Originals lineup: Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding, Amped 2, Armed and Dangerous, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space, Blood Wake, Brute Force, Conker: Live & Reloaded, Dead or Alive 3, Deathrow, Dino Crisis 3, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Fable bonus content, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, GunValkyrie, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Jet Set Radio Future, Mechassault, MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, Midtown Madness 3, Ninja Gaiden, Quantum Redshift, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust Rent-A-Hero No. 1, Shenmue II, Sneakers, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Stubbs the Zombie in "Rebel Without a Pulse", Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus, ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth, Tork: Prehistoric Punk, Voodoo Vince, Whacked!. Service expected to have over one hundred titles end of next year.

5) The two-dimensional Grand Theft Auto titles (with Mission Packs included) will grace console(s) next year in a downloadable form.

6) Watch out Mario Kart because Electronic Arts racing to the finish line next year with MySims: Racers for the Wii and DS.

7) Cryptic's Marvel project is dead, but they have two or three other MMOs that they are working on. One will peep its little head out next year.

8) Next fall's Wolfenstein takes place in some large, open hub city where you select missions and go about them. And there are side quests too! So it's like Saboteur, except with more shooting, less French people, and is not published by Electronic Arts.

9) Next year, Eidos hopes you want to survive a virtual recreation of an existent earthquake.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pulled this release list off a website (Sixth Axis). This is the list that Best Buy currently has in their system for 2008. Note that this is a PS3 list, so the 360 exclusives will not be listed, but the multiplat games should be the same release date. Looks like February through April are going to have a lot of releases.

Quote:
January

NFL Tour: 8th January
Burnout Paradise: 14th January

February

Turok: 5th February
Devil May Cry 4: 5th Feburary (and Special Edition)
Conflict: Denied Ops: 12th February
FIFA Street 3: 18th February
The Club: 19th February
History Channel: Battle for Pacific: 19th February
Dynasty Warriors 6: 19th February
Condemned 2: 26th February
Turning Point: 26th February
Lost: 26th February

March

Karaoke Rev: American Idol: 3rd March
Lost Planet: 3rd March
Major League Baseball: 3rd March
Sega Superstars Tennis: 4th March
Army of Two: 4th March
MLB 08: 4th March
Destroy All Humans 3: 4th March
Viking: 4th March
Pro Evo Soccer 2008: 11th March
Rainbow Six Vegas 2: 11th March
Haze: 18th March
Hot Shots Golf 5: 18th March
Battlefield Bad Company: 24th March
Dark Sector: 25th March

April

End War: 1st April
GTA IV: 1st April (and Special Edition)
Midnight Club: 1st April
Sid Meier's Civilisation: 1st April
Killzone 2: 7th April
LittleBigPlanet: 7th April
Star Wars Force Unleashed: 8th April
Brothers In Arms: 8th April
Mercenaries 2: 8th April
Monster Madness: 8th April
UEFA Euro 2008: 15th April
Iron Man: 22nd April

May

Fatal Inertia: 1st May
Frontlines: 5th May
Heist: 13th May
SingStar: 13th May

June

Soul Calibur IV: 2nd June
Bourne Conspiracy: 3rd June
Incredible Hulk: 3rd June
Metal Gear Solid 4: 17th June
Hellboy: 24th June

2nd half 2008

Two Worlds: 1st August
Borderlands: 1st September
Wheelman, The: 1st September
Tiberium: 2nd September
Golden Axe: 8th September
Fall Out 3: 9th September
Prototype: 15th September
WET: 1st October
Ghostbusters: 7th October
Dead Space: 8th October
Brutal Legend: 3rd November
Rogue Warrior: 10th November
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #274
Daimyo
College Starter

No FF13?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #275
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No FF13?

No date has been set and there is still a decent chance it won't be released until 09.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #276
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No FF13?

There's a lot of games not on that list which still may be in the 2nd half of the year. Most of them are simply because the release date is nearly a year away. You'll note that most of the EA games (especially sports) that will be released later in the year appear nowhere on the list. Games like Motorstorm 2, FF13, GT5 and Resistance 2 are all tentatively scheduled for Holiday '08 releases.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-03-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #277
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I would be shocked if LittleBigPlanet, GTAIV, and Killzone 2 were all out by April. Also, I would be at least $500 poorer...
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #278
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Just a heads up for potential PS3 buyers, sonystyle.com is hard to beat. Sign up for their Sony Visa card and get $100 off your first purchase of $299 or more from sonystyle.com. 40 GB PS3 for $299.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #279
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I never enjoyed the MGS series. Too much trial and error gameplay. I don't like stealth games in general.

I will surely get a PS3. The only question really is when. Probably after another price drop...

Count me in as someone who hates the series and just doesn't get it at all. Absurd characters, an almost nonsensical over the top storyline, and crawling around in boxes.

I don't get it.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells though, the series has gone drastically downhill in sales each release, a huge drop, but even with the drop it's still a huge seller. I just don't see it as a system seller, at least in the U.S., I don't know what Japan is like with it.

Definitely not one that I care about though.

What's Tom Clancy's EndWar? I hadn't heard of that one. Is it a shooter style game or a Splinter Cell thing or something new all together?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #280
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Count me in as someone who hates the series and just doesn't get it at all. Absurd characters, an almost nonsensical over the top storyline, and crawling around in boxes.

I don't get it.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells though, the series has gone drastically downhill in sales each release, a huge drop, but even with the drop it's still a huge seller. I just don't see it as a system seller, at least in the U.S., I don't know what Japan is like with it.

Metal Gear Solid sells a lot better in the West than in Japan. Games whose PS2 versions sold more than MGS3 and MGS4 have already had PS3 versions (Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots Golf) and those games only provided temporary sales boosts.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #281
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Live will be giving users a free downloadable game in the near future to "say thank you" for baring with them during their issues over the Christmas break. Details are to be announced soon:

http://209.11.233.28/archive/2008/01...rformance.aspx
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Live will be giving users a free downloadable game in the near future to "say thank you" for baring with them during their issues over the Christmas break. Details are to be announced soon:

http://209.11.233.28/archive/2008/01...rformance.aspx

Giving a refund for the missed time would have been a much better move, but they are going to do something at least. This move will obviously cost much less than the refund would.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Giving a refund for the missed time would have been a much better move, but they are going to do something at least. This move will obviously cost much less than the refund would.

I'm not sure how logic makes that slant work. A month's worth of service is 4 to 5 dollars and the service wasn't down a month. A game is a minimum of 5 dollars and some of them are more expensive. Depending upon what game(s) they offer, this could be quite a bit more expensive than just offering a refund.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #284
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not sure how logic makes that slant work. A month's worth of service is 4 to 5 dollars and the service wasn't down a month. A game is a minimum of 5 dollars and some of them are more expensive. Depending upon what game(s) they offer, this could be quite a bit more expensive than just offering a refund.

My assumption would have been a full refund for that month, not just that week. As you said, roughly $5.

There's a profit margin built into each of those games for Microsoft. The only real cost will be reimbursing the game publisher for their portion of the cost and any profit lost for that publisher. Assuming that games $10 and under will be offered, that's certainly not going to be any more than $5 at the most, likely less.

Also, if they gave a direct refund, that would be money coming directly from MS and would have to be refunded. In the case of those free games, there's going to be a large number of users that never even bother to get a free game. They're not going to give away 8 million games because not every user is going to get one. The actual number downloaded would be significantly less.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #285
Bee
Pro Starter

Would a refund have made any sense? Does Microsoft have enough info on all the Gold members to actually send refunds to everyone? Can't you just pick up those cards in a store and use a code to pay for membership? I'm not a gold member, so I don't know how much personal information you have to give Microsoft. The whole thing just sounds like a logistical nightmare to me for what amounts to something like $2 back?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Would a refund have made any sense? Does Microsoft have enough info on all the Gold members to actually send refunds to everyone? Can't you just pick up those cards in a store and use a code to pay for membership? I'm not a gold member, so I don't know how much personal information you have to give Microsoft. The whole thing just sounds like a logistical nightmare to me for what amounts to something like $2 back?

Very good point. That could very well be the reason behind why they did it this way.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #287
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've been been hurt by the downtime. Please refund my $0.05 that I lose due to downtime instead of giving me a $5-20 game for free.

If this had been Sony's doing, it would have been a great PR move.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #288
spleen1015
Coordinator

From a Gamespot article:

A post on Hryb's Major Nelson blog, which contains a statement from the general manager of Xbox Live, states that January 2 saw the biggest ever number of concurrent members using the service, and the holiday period also saw the most new users sign up for the service in its five-year history.

Looks like there were a lot of people pissed off that Xbox Live was down...
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #289
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I've been been hurt by the downtime. Please refund my $0.05 that I lose due to downtime instead of giving me a $5-20 game for free.

If this had been Sony's doing, it would have been a great PR move.

Apples to oranges. Servers are provided by the individual game companies and the service is free. Tough to refund something you never collected.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
From a Gamespot article:

A post on Hryb's Major Nelson blog, which contains a statement from the general manager of Xbox Live, states that January 2 saw the biggest ever number of concurrent members using the service, and the holiday period also saw the most new users sign up for the service in its five-year history.

Looks like there were a lot of people pissed off that Xbox Live was down...

MS and Sony press releases are a beautiful thing. Funnier yet is your correlation of that press release having anything to do with people being upset with the outage.

"All is well, ALL IS WELL!!!!!!"..........
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #291
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
MS and Sony press releases are a beautiful thing. Funnier yet is your correlation of that press release having anything to do with people being upset with the outage.

"All is well, ALL IS WELL!!!!!!"..........

Blah.

It is the same basic argument you've been having with everyone for months.

If people were so outraged over Xbox Live being down, there wouldn't have been records set for the number of subscribers during that time.

I'm done. I'll just sit back and watch your foolishness from now on.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-04-2008 at 09:23 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #292
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If people were so outraged over Xbox Live being down, there wouldn't have been records set for the number of subscribers during that time.

Seriously? You think you can draw that conclusion (i.e. people obviously weren't upset because they logged into the service in large numbers on January 2nd)? Wow.

Xbox Live is a monopoly to some extent. If you own a 360, there's only one way to play online games and that's to buck up for the Gold subscription. For those that were irritated, they can't just go to a rival service. They still play on XBL and are likely to play on January 2nd, as most people are out of school or on vacation at that point. It would be surprising if they DIDN'T have large numbers on that date given the addition of new consoles over the holiday season and the fact that people hadn't been able to play online for over a week before.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Preliminary worldwide sales numbers are in for the month of December:

Quote:
Wii: 4,701,000
PS3: 2,521,000
PS2: 2,376,000
360: 2,332,000

The Wii continues its strong sales numbers, bolstered by the supply increase in Japan. That supply increase allowed it to increase the margin it outsold the PS3 from 60% last month to 81% this month. Below are the trend numbers for the last three months of 2007:

Quote:
October Worldwide Sales Numbers......

Wii: 1,137,000 (44% of market)
360: 888,000 (34% of market)
PS3: 554,000 (22% of market)

November Worldwide Sales Numbers......

Wii: 1,939,000 (45% of market)
PS3: 1,197,000 (28% of market)
360: 1,149,000 (27% of market)

December Worldwide Sales Numbers......

Wii: 4,701,000 (49% of market)
PS3: 2,521,000 (26% of market)
360: 2,332,000 (25% of market)

While Wii and PS3 market share have both increased slightly over the last three months, the 360 has gone from holding a 12% market share month-over-month lead over the PS3 in October to falling slightly behind the PS3 in November and December. In regards to units, the 360 sold over 300K units more than the PS3 in October. By December, the PS3 was selling nearly 200K units more than the 360, which is nearly a 500K units/month turnaround in that regard.

NPD numbers for North America should be released next week to verify the accuracy of these preliminary numbers.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #294
Daimyo
College Starter

If every month had a Christmas, PS3 would be on pace to catch Xbox in only 38 months based on this month's numbers!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #295
Kodos
Resident Alien

DOOOOOOM ON THE 360!!!!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #296
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
In regards to units, the 360 sold over 300K units more than the PS3 in October. By December, the PS3 was selling nearly 200K units more than the 360, which is nearly a 500K units/month turnaround in that regard..

On the same note, the Wii went from only outselling the PS3 by 600K units in october, to outselling it by over 2.5Million units in December. Thats a turnarount of nearly 1.8 MILLION UNITS!!!!!

December numbers are useless to predict trends. They're magnified. Cut the december numbers to roughly 1/3 (which would be normal sales month), and the PS3 outsells the 360 by like 60K units. Yes, its a turnaround, but not enough.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If every month had a Christmas, PS3 would be on pace to catch Xbox in only 38 months based on this month's numbers!

Cute comments aside, the trend is certainly worth noting. Absolute no one in these discussions two months ago thought that the PS3 would be able to pull even with the 360 in monthly sales by December. Not only has the PS3 caught the 360, it has actually surpassed it with no system seller games being released while the 360 had arguably its biggest name franchise released this fall (which BTW, has sold between 7 and 8 million units).
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #298
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
On the same note, the Wii went from only outselling the PS3 by 600K units in october, to outselling it by over 2.5Million units in December. Thats a turnarount of nearly 1.8 MILLION UNITS!!!!!

December numbers are useless to predict trends. They're magnified. Cut the december numbers to roughly 1/3 (which would be normal sales month), and the PS3 outsells the 360 by like 60K units. Yes, its a turnaround, but not enough.

Agreed. The sales numbers will be smaller as we move out of the holiday season. The number isn't as important as the sharp change in where the sales are taking place. I agree that 60K/month more worldwide isn't enough. But since Sony does have some of its bigger, more recognizable name titles coming in the foreseeable future, I don't believe that status quo will be a word we use much in regard to this discussion.

Also, the Wii increase has more to do with supply increases than any demand increase. The same demand has always been there for the Wii. That's not the same as the PS3, which had very low demand until the price changes and new unit were introduced at the end of the summer.

CES 2008 next week should provide a glimpse of any changes that Sony or MS may make.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-04-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?o...=1123&Itemid=2

An excerpt:

Quote:
Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the Xbox 360. This is not a rumor. This is straight from a Konami distribution representative’s mouth. The game is already in production and has been since early 2007. Complete details after the jump:

No, the rep will not be named, but this is pretty concrete. Speaking to a Konami rep at an undisclosed distribution meeting, I was told, after a lot of nagging, that yes indeed MGS was in development for the 360. The rep stated that Metal Gear Solid will be released for the Xbox 360 between 12 to 14 months after the PS3 version hits shelves. This is not a rumor.

Quote:
It's never been out there so blatantly. That site's credibility goes to pot if it ends up being untrue.

I believe you can now officially toss that site's credibility in the dumpster. As has happened so many times before, Konami firmly states that there are no plans of any kind to put Metal Gear Solid 4 on the Xbox 360.

http://ps3.thegamereviews.com/story-...ys-Konami.html

Quote:
TheGameReviews.com had the opportunity to speak with Konami’s PR about this latest rumor, and unsurprisingly, Konami is baffled by claims that Metal Gear Solid 4 is going multiplatform. In a rush to get the word out, it seems that those who broke the story talked to everyone except Konami, who made this statement "For the record, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a PlayStation 3 exclusive and there are no plans to develop an Xbox 360 version of the game."
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #300
Synovia
High School Varsity

" Konami firmly states that there are no plans of any kind to put Metal Gear Solid 4 on the Xbox 360."

Is that kind of like Petrino (or Saban) saying he had absolutely no plans of leaving the Falcons (or Dolphins)?

Sony paid for a (timed) exclusive. Saying its coming out in a year totally undermines that. Of course they're not going to say that, Sony would eat them alive.

Last edited by Synovia : 01-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.