Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #251
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277 View Post
If ever coaches deserved to be fired/players deserved to be cut at halftime, this is it.

Dola... apparently the Clemson Special Teams coach is Tommy Bowden.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #252
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Based on the first quarter, Jarrett could have 200 yards and 15 catches today against Nebraska. They are hurting with their top CB out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Watching that in super-slow mo, Zac fumbled and that should have been a USC TD. The ball was out before he hit the ground. However, it was definitely hard to tell at regular speed.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #254
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Dola... apparently the Clemson Special Teams coach is Tommy Bowden.

Tommy Bowden in the halftime interview: "I'm not kicking any more. I'm done."
Old 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #255
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Booty just made a great throw to convert a 3rd and 21. Jarrett made a very good catch on the play, too.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #256
st.cronin
General Manager

Lucky is not so lucky. Booty is good.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #257
Blade6119
Coordinator

Army is tied with A&M, good for them
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #258
hoopsguy
General Manager

Eagles, agree on the fumble/TD. I ran it in slo-mo as well after being annoyed that the ABC crew did not do this. It was a fumble.

Is that a reviewable play up in the booth for college football?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #259
Celeval
Pro Starter

Huge overturn of a call in Clemson-FSU - Clemson fumble on their own ten yard line. Ruling not an overturn of a fumble, but of who has possession - FSU came clearly out of the pile with the ball, but video replay had a shot of the start of the scrum, with joint possession on the ground by a Clemson & FSU player, tie goes to the offense and Clemson retains possession.

The interesting question out of this - this is the first time I've seen replay used to determine who recovered a fumble. Does this have the potential to really open up what replay ends up used for?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #260
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Damn, my bosses are LSU and Miami fans (even went to the bowl game together last season)

They are not going to be happy monday morning
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #261
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Eagles, agree on the fumble/TD. I ran it in slo-mo as well after being annoyed that the ABC crew did not do this. It was a fumble.

Is that a reviewable play up in the booth for college football?

I think it was whistled dead and therefore unreviewable.

USC's offense has looked somewhat out of sync in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but Booty still has about a 65% completion ratio with 3 TD's and Washington just ran one in to make it 28-10.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #262
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Huge overturn of a call in Clemson-FSU - Clemson fumble on their own ten yard line. Ruling not an overturn of a fumble, but of who has possession - FSU came clearly out of the pile with the ball, but video replay had a shot of the start of the scrum, with joint possession on the ground by a Clemson & FSU player, tie goes to the offense and Clemson retains possession.

The interesting question out of this - this is the first time I've seen replay used to determine who recovered a fumble. Does this have the potential to really open up what replay ends up used for?

FWIW, Clemson then drove down and scored with 8s left for the win.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #263
tdydynasty
Banned

If Florida loses then the big 3 Florida will lose in the same week, it happened 2years ago.
tdydynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Based on the first quarter, Jarrett could have 200 yards and 15 catches today against Nebraska. They are hurting with their top CB out.

Well, he tailed off in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. However, he did finish with 11 catches for 136 yards and 2 TD's. Very nice. Booty finishes with almost a 70% completion percentage and 3 TD's. I think he is showing he is a heck of a QB. Emmanuel Moody shows some nice quickness to complement Washington too. As long as the offense continues to improve its timing, I feel good about our chance to be facing someone in the national championship game (probably Ohio State.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-16-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #265
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i wonder if abc will try and shove the fsu/miami slapfight in our faces again next year. that game hasn't meant anything in 5 years.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
i wonder if abc will try and shove the fsu/miami slapfight in our faces again next year. that game hasn't meant anything in 5 years.

This was addressed back when they played. The game will be pushed back to where it used to be played. October
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #267
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder how many teams have a specific play to run whenever there is a chance of an official review on the previous play.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #268
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
that game hasn't meant anything in 5 years.

TV viewers seem to disagree with you.

This year's game was the 2nd highest rated college football game in ESPN history.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #269
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
TV viewers seem to disagree with you.

This year's game was the 2nd highest rated college football game in ESPN history.

Which has nothing to do with the quality of the game ... ESPN just WAAAAY overhyped it. They seem to enjoy the ACC, even though it's the worst BCS conference in football right now.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #270
miami_fan
Coordinator

Maybe it was the controversy of the Trent Green hit but I was more aware of the tackling/hitting of the QBs today. Evidently the word of protecting QBs at al costs has not made it down to the college ranks. I saw some major hits on QBs and very few roughing the passer/ unecessary roughness penalties today.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Which has nothing to do with the quality of the game

It does to the networks.

Plus, the comment I was replying to wasn't about the "quality of the game", it was about whether the game had meaning.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-16-2006 at 10:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #272
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Maybe it was the controversy of the Trent Green hit but I was more aware of the tackling/hitting of the QBs today. Evidently the word of protecting QBs at al costs has not made it down to the college ranks. I saw some major hits on QBs and very few roughing the passer/ unecessary roughness penalties today.

Just one reason why college is more fun to watch. The QBs actually have to have some onions.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #273
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Oklahoma got screwed by the replay official. The pass interference call was questionable, but the onside kick play was garbage. Every single replay showed that Oregon touched the ball first before it went 10 yards, and the replay official claimed that there was conclusive video evidence that Oklahoma touched it first. What in the world?

They were so preoccupied with who touched it first and whether or not it went 10 yards, they overlooked an important fact. Oklahoma recovered the kick.

Sooner's Alan Patrick (#23) recovers onside kick

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-16-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #274
TroyF
Coordinator

Some random thoughts from what I watched today:

1) Forget the Heisman Mr. Quinn. This is now Troy Smith's to lose IMHO.
2) Michigan/Ohio State is going to be one hell of a football game this year.
3) Auburn is going to be dangerous. Great defense and Irons is a hard, hard runner to bring down. They looked good, even if they did get the benefit of a call late.
4) The "run the clock after change of possession" rule SUCKS ASS. I didn't care who won the Ten/Fla game, but the ending was just terrible because of that asinine rule. I think the thing needs to go midseason. It's just horribe for the college game. You want to take plays away, there are other ways to do it. This just sucks.
5) Miami, FSU, Notre Dame and Nebraska all lost, with three getting pounded. This was an enjoyable Saturday.
6) That Vol DL who played with one arm tonight has got himself a huge fan. What a gutsy performence. I didn't really care who won the game, but I was cheering for him to end his career with a win. That's a story I'll be telling to my grandkids someday.
7) Teams are clearly more prepared for Weiss and the ND offense. They've looked very average in two of their three games this year. I'll be interested to see how Weiss adjusts.
8) Some of these college defenses are loaded. LSU, Auburn, USC, Florida, etc. . . incredible D's.
9) That Oregan QB Dixon is pretty special. Obviously, so is Peterson. Whoever said him and Charles were comparable backs and that Charles might be better is simply insane. Running behind that line? He wore Oregon out today and was the only real reason OU had a shot.
10) The Big 12 sucks.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #275
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wow, nice stand by A&M. Bummer for Army.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #276
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington got an important win in their quest for a respectable season - lose this game and there's a real danger they crumble emotionally like they have the last 2 seasons. If this team is going to reach a bowl game as is their goal, this was a game they had to win. Next week will also be huge as they host a beatable UCLA team at home and try to shake off the voodoo curse that the Bruins have had over them of late. This is another winnable game that could go either way, and a win here would continue to boost the confidence level of this team.

Add in Notre Dame getting stomped, and this was a good day. Would've been even better if the refs in the Oregon/Oklahoma game weren't completely incompetent allowing the Zeroes to escape with a win, but every day can't be perfect...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #277
thealmighty
Pro Starter

3-0
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #278
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii is absolutely jumping all over UNLV right now 21-0 with 10 mins left in the first half.

Colt Brennan, Our QB is lighting em up for 16-20 166 yards and 3 tds so far.

not to mention our D is man handling them - there QB 5-17 66 yards lol. they have gone for it 3 times on 4th down and got stuffed every single one

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-17-2006 at 12:06 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #279
JeeberD
General Manager

Go 'Bows, take it to the MWC!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #280
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

28-0 WOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #281
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome! The Miners will hopefully do their part next week against UNM. It's too bad that we lost our best linebacker for the season to a broken leg yesterday, though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #282
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

damn that sucks. well the miners are a helluva team this year. ROBBED against TT , and palmer is looking much more composed this season. I think they will most definetly be bowling at the end of the year
Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #283
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ANOTHER 4th down and another play by our Defense, wow I haven't seen hawaii play Defense like this in 5-6 years
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 AM   #284
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

As an NC State fan, I am now beginning to fully appreciate just how mind-bogglingly good Philip Rivers was. He had three different OCs, a (now readily apparent) lousy head coach, and average talent most of the time on offense (though with one very good receiver--Koren Robinson or Jerricho Cotchery, and one good but fumble- and injury-prone running back in TA McLendon). Look at the disaster of the last two weeks, I now stand in wonder that we won as many games as we did when he was here. We've gone straight into the shitter (there's simply no better word for it--usually I disguise my profanity, but frankly this deserved some open usage) since he left. He covered up a lot of problems for us. Yes, we had all those draft picks on the defense last year, but still, we struggled to a 7-5 season. Why? Our offense sucked ass. It apparently still sucks ass. And now it looks like the defense has joined the offense in the suck-fest. The silver lining? The ACC is in such a state right now that they can still compete. I doubt it, but they still have that chance. Nobody aside from maybe Virginia Tech is looking all that scary at the moment. Then again, we have looked even more wretched than most. Miami lost to FSU and Louisville, so their 1-2 mark has some cause, for example. We cough it up against Akron at home and then get crushed in Hattiesburg today? Hell's bells, that's an awful 1-2. I'll still follow and still care, but frankly I'm not expecting much at this point for the rest of the season.

The really sucky part is that I can't look forward to basketball season this year, either. Just about all the prognostications have us at or near the bottom of the ACC. At least the Les Robinson Invitational at the ACC Tournament doesn't exist anymore. Pretty much means my only hope for good feelings for at least the next 12 months will be the Hurricanes.

*sigh*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #285
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

and at halftime its 28-0 hawaii, we were driving but got picked off at the UNLV 11 yard line. 358 yards of offense in the first half while giving up 111. They have 1 yard rushing , lol.
WOW good half and keep it up

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-17-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #286
biological warrior
High School Varsity

So I just got back from a trip to Borders books -where I chatted with the aforementioned ''future Mrs. Chemicalsoldier,'' and decided to ameliorate my dejection/disgust with ND's loss by buying a new digital camera.
I bought a Sony DSC W 100, anyone have it?
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #287
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
and at halftime its 28-0 hawaii, we were driving but got picked off at the UNLV 11 yard line. 358 yards of offense in the first half while giving up 111. They have 1 yard rushing , lol.
WOW good half and keep it up

dola: How is Rocky Hinds doing? The local media here in vegas is hailing him as
''Jesus' second coming.''
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #288
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277 View Post
dola

Great win by Western Michigan as well. It's always good to see the directional Michigan schools get some credit.

Good eye. This one kind of got overshadowed with so many big games today, but after getting crushed 38-13 by what appears to be at best a mediocre Pitt team and now losing to Western Michigan, is Al Groh done at UVA?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #289
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
is Al Groh done at UVA?
I hope not.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #290
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

dola -

http://www.dontfirealgroh.com/
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #291
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological warrior View Post
dola: How is Rocky Hinds doing? The local media here in vegas is hailing him as
''Jesus' second coming.''

7/23 for 111

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #292
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hinds threw a TD !! but, uhm it was to hawaii's defense... sorry
42-7 Hawaii at the end of 3.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 09-17-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #293
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Here's a much better, crystal clear video of Oklahoma recovering the onside kick. I don't see how the officials could have possibly missed this when they unpiled everyone and there was no football.

Video Clip
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:59 AM   #294
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lol. sweet
Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #295
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, that is just brutal - how in the hell did the refs screw that one up so bad? How do you ever award the ball to Oregon on that play?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #296
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

maybe some untold being was making up for 3-5 missed delay of game penalties on the sooners and a few other ripoff calls that went their way throughout the rest of the game.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #297
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

or the decades and decades of cheating
Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 AM   #298
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
9) That Oregan QB Dixon is pretty special. Obviously, so is Peterson. Whoever said him and Charles were comparable backs and that Charles might be better is simply insane. Running behind that line? He wore Oregon out today and was the only real reason OU had a shot.

that was me, and i actually agree with you. his banged up season last year made me forget how fucking good he is. give him a crease and he'll get a first almost every time, since he's fast enough to keep defenders from getting in front of him, and he'll drag you a long way. ou is screwed without him.

HOWEVER, he still needs a crease. he's useless when nothing is there, but charles can create. so you say 'running behind that line?', but his carroies look like: 2, -1, 0, 65, 4, 0, 15. those big gains are when his ol blocks for him. he's simply the best runner from the los to the first down line in the game.

charles is an easy 2nd place, and with what he brings blocking and in the passing game, it's closer than anyone will admit. the guy is the smoothest runner i've ever seen. he had arun against rice today on a shovel pass (called back) that peterson could never dream about doing. there is nobody like peterson today, but there isn't anyone like charles, either.

complete back? work ethic? football smarts? give me charles.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:57 AM   #299
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i guess i kind of had a mixed message there. it breaks down to:

better downhill runner: peterson

better everything else: charles
Old 09-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #300
TroyF
Coordinator

Maybe so IMTG. . . but every RB needs a line to block for him to consistently do well. And the thing about Peterson's 1, 2, 0 yard gains is that he still punishes and wears down defenders. He's relentless.

I like Charles. Fast as hell and a threat every single time he touches the ball. Him and Peterson aren't in the same league though. Adrian is a dominant RB.

And that Irons kid from Auburn is a beast. He's as hard of a runner as I've seen in a long time. I think he only had 70 or so yards against LSU yesterday, but he simply pounded out every one of them. It may be the most impressive performence by a back I've seen this year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote