Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #251
Captain2711
High School JV

Is it possible that Heilman will have an appearance that doesn't result in two runs?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #252
MrIllini
High School Varsity

pond scum
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #253
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Watching the Mets home opener, saw Delgados bomb and the apple go up, anyone know if the apple is gonna be part of the new field?

they said on the ESPN broadcast last night the apple is making the trip
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #254
Logan
Head Coach

Since there hasn't been an update from www.savetheapple.com, I'm going to guess ESPN was saying what we already know, that there will be an apple, but not necessarily the same one at this point.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #255
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

horrible fundamental baseball in the 9th. Mets get the first 2 on then Castillo can't bunt them over with the hottest hitter in the league coming up.

Looking back on last year it's games like this that can come back to bite you in the ass.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #256
JS19
College Prospect

i remember just the other day on sny they were talking about how well they have been doing making productive outs. would have been nice if they got the sweep obviously but it was really nice to see reyes and wright get back on track this series, sure wish delgado and castillo could do the same. i wasn't sold on the whole idea of giving castillo a 4 yr deal, and i know its early yet and hopefully i will be eating my own words come the end of the season, but thats not looking like all to good of a move. i'll admit, however, i haven't been able to watch the games as closely as i used to, but when im able and i see him at the plate he doesn't look good at all, so hopefully the other times he looks like he knows what hes doing up there.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #257
Captain2711
High School JV

Why do I get the feeling I am going to be wishing for rain in about an hour?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #258
RedKingGold
College Starter

Hey Mets Fans,

How's the view?

Signed,

Chase Utley and the defending NL East Champ Phils.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 05-31-2008 at 06:47 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #259
Logan
Head Coach

This is why I love Philly fans. Only they can take such satisfaction from a playoff appearance that yielded no wins.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #260
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This is why I love Philly fans. Only they can take such satisfaction from a playoff appearance that yielded no wins.

You never answered the question... How's the view?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #261
Logan
Head Coach

The view on May 31st is great. Both teams know from last year that nothing besides your place in the standings after the 162nd game matters. Both teams are also seriously flawed. If you're actually satisfied with how your team is made up, that's awesome and I hope management feels the same way.

Either way, this trolling belongs in the season thread.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #262
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean the Mets have been a complete mess so far this season. Injuries, uninspired play, and yet are still less than 4 games behind the Phils... and Phils fans are gloating?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #263
Atocep
Coordinator

This is just strange. We're about 1/3 of the way into the season, the Phils are in 2nd place, and bragging?
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #264
Logan
Head Coach

Come on, give em credit...they were in first place for a day.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #265
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is anyone surprised that a philly fan is being a douchebag troll?

Thats pretty much every Philly sports fan I have ever met, by far the biggest asshole fans in sports reside in that city.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #266
RedKingGold
College Starter

I just love that I can get this reaction.

Good luck Mets fans. We're all counting on you.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #267
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You stay classy philly fans
Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #268
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- the funny thing is most of the people that gave you a "reaction" aren't even Mets fans.

They were just calling you out for being a typical douchebag asshat philly fan.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #269
RedKingGold
College Starter

Well, I'm actually not a "die-hard" fan. Heck, I was a Yankee fan until not too long ago. I just became a fan of the Phils because I interned for their AAA farm team when Utley/Howard/Hamels were there.

But, keep going on and thinking I'm one of those crazy Philly fans. I find it quite humorous.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #270
Logan
Head Coach

Was this game always supposed to be on ESPN? Stuck with Miller and Morgan again.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #271
JS19
College Prospect

I think they changed it last week to an ESPNer. Been too busy the past few weeks to really follow the team, just catch a few innings here and there and get the final on Baseball Tonight, but what's the latest on Heilman? Are they seriously keeping him on the roster, or just still in the process of figuring out who will replace him?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #272
Logan
Head Coach

He might be spending some time in New Orleans to work shit out. It would be a win-win situation if he chose to devote the rest of his life to continuing to rebuild that city.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #273
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

100% agreement on asshole Philly fans. As a lifelong Redskins fans and a "lifelong" (all 3.33 seasons) Nationals fan I can't stand being around a Philly fan when sports are involved.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #274
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Well, I'm actually not a "die-hard" fan. Heck, I was a Yankee fan until not too long ago.

Totally upped your status with this statement. Way up.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #275
Atocep
Coordinator

Oliver Perez should have taken the deal he was offered this offseason because he's going to have a hard time coming close to that offer if he keeps this up.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #276
JS19
College Prospect

My guess is Perez will still get the 5 yr 60M type deal, regardless of how well he does this yr. I'm actually a big fan of his, the stuff is there, he just needs to figure out how to get his shit together.

So glad the Mets didn't sign Zito when he was available, what a waste.

My friend brought up an interesting point earlier today, telling me how Fernando Martinez will never amount to anything bc the Mets can't develop players. I said what about Wright, Reyes and even went as far as saying they may have played a slight role on the development of Kazmir. He then countered with "what about Alex Escobar (that "cant miss" prospect yrs ago), Izzy, Pulsipher, Wilson, Milledge, Pelfrey, Heilman. He even argued that Reyes hasn't fully realized his potential. Just thought it was an interesting point, really hoping this Martinez kid doesn't fall into the same boat.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I disagree with your friend

Escobar was a bomb with the orioels I believe and it is way to early to pass judgement on Mildege, Pelfrey and Heilman.

Maine has come along nicely and some other players like Jacobs on other teams are playing well.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #278
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also look at all the "can't miss" prospects on other teams that... well, missed. The Mets list isn't worse than a lot of other teams out there. Especially with young pitchers, arm injuries are something you can't predict (except if you work 'em to death).
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #279
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
My guess is Perez will still get the 5 yr 60M type deal, regardless of how well he does this yr. I'm actually a big fan of his, the stuff is there, he just needs to figure out how to get his shit together.

I'm not much of a fan of his and I can't see him getting a 5 year deal considering only one pitching coach has managed to get anything close to consistency out of him for even half a season. His stuff is amazing, but he allows far too many baserunners to rely on him as a key part of your rotation.

I'd hate to see him walk as a free agent, but I'd rather see that than the Mets give him a 5 year commitment. Without Peterson he'd probably end up back in AAA within a year anyways.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #280
Captain2711
High School JV

No worries. Pelfrey will beat Webb tomorrow night.

"And in case you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic."
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #281
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- the funny thing is most of the people that gave you a "reaction" aren't even Mets fans.

They were just calling you out for being a typical douchebag asshat philly fan.

Don't classify all of us that way. Every team, every franchise, every city has those fans. And yet, they're always the ones who are termed "indicative" of that team's fan base.

I don't classify every Mets fan, every Cowboys fan, or every Knicks/Celtics fan as a douche. I would hope that the same courtesy is made towards Philly fans, rather than generalizing. It makes everyone look ignorant and, well, like douchebags. ; )

-John
-Philly proud, but not one to boast until the job is done (too much heartache this decade for Phils fans)
-also one to point out that the Cubs and Red Sox *never* had anything on the Phils when it came to futility

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Don't classify all of us that way. Every team, every franchise, every city has those fans. And yet, they're always the ones who are termed "indicative" of that team's fan base.

I don't classify every Mets fan, every Cowboys fan, or every Knicks/Celtics fan as a douche. I would hope that the same courtesy is made towards Philly fans, rather than generalizing. It makes everyone look ignorant and, well, like douchebags. ; )

-John
-Philly proud, but not one to boast until the job is done (too much heartache this decade for Phils fans)
-also one to point out that the Cubs and Red Sox *never* had anything on the Phils when it came to futility

No offense, but I have been to sporting events all over the country.

Philly has by far the largest ratio of asshole fans out there, there's a courthouse in the basement for a reason.

And it's not just in Philly, when they come up to NY or the Meadowlands they act just as asshatish

and FWIW cowboy fans were some of the nicest fans I have ever been around.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #283
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No offense, but I have been to sporting events all over the country.

Philly has by far the largest ratio of asshole fans out there, there's a courthouse in the basement for a reason.

And it's not just in Philly, when they come up to NY or the Meadowlands they act just as asshatish

and FWIW cowboy fans were some of the nicest fans I have ever been around.

I have too. I don't know if I'd have a ranking, but I tend to view it just the opposite. Beauty of sports, I guess.

And no offense taken. Opinions are obviously fine. I just don't like generalities, which happen *far* too much in sports. There are rational fans, and idiot fans, for *every* franchise. I'd probably put the ratio for every single franchise at 85/15, in favor of rational fans.

But, maybe I'm an idealist.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #284
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
And no offense taken. Opinions are obviously fine. I just don't like generalities, which happen *far* too much in sports. There are rational fans, and idiot fans, for *every* franchise. I'd probably put the ratio for every single franchise at 85/15, in favor of rational fans.

+1

I've met a fair amount of intelligent Philly fans. Perception is reality, though, I guess.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 06-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #285
Comey
College Starter

I've also met some completely dipshitted Philly fans. Gotta take the bad with the good.

One question I do have for the Mets fans here...do you blame Willie Randolph for the mediocrity and underperforming (so far) this year (or over the last 162+ games, where they were either 83-79 or 79-83)? Or is he unfairly getting the brunt of criticism (like all coaches get)?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #286
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
One question I do have for the Mets fans here...do you blame Willie Randolph for the mediocrity and underperforming (so far) this year (or over the last 162+ games, where they were either 83-79 or 79-83)? Or is he unfairly getting the brunt of criticism (like all coaches get)?

Not a Mets fan (obviously), but I think he gets far too much of the blame. I honestly just think the younger players are slumping a little and the older players might just be a little bit too old. However, the Mets seem to be the kind of team that could snap out of it quickly.

Believe me, the Mets aren't going away yet, and they'll be there until the end of the season. I think the NL East is going to be Mets-Marlins-Phillies all until September.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #287
SFL Cat
College Starter

New York baseball teams sure spend a lot for mediocrity.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #288
Logan
Head Coach

I place the blame in the following way:

1. Bullpen (players/GM)
2. Lack of timely hitting (players, lesser extent GM)
3. Willie

The bullpen, outside of Wagner (save for his performance against Tony Clark a few days ago, has been pretty shitty. I think Willie has done a pretty good job managing what he's got when it comes to using guys at the right time. He relied on Heilman for way too long before finally realizing he is having major issues. But I fault the players for lack of execution, and Minaya for not improving the pen at all over the offseason (Matt Wise being the only addition).

We hit poorly with RISP, and that of course is the players fault. I think Willie's done a nice job juggling the bench. Again, Minaya should share some blame for not solidifying the roster behind a guy like Alou, who is a great hitter but can never be counted on. And the way this team has handled Ryan Church (our only consistent hitter this year) and his concussion issues is pretty fucking criminal. All of management should be blamed for that. For some reason, Minaya seems to have gotten a pass for all these issues with the team and I don't understand why.

Anyway, the blame Willie gets is because of his refusal to be tough with his veterans like Delgado (until about a week ago), his refusal to let his starters pitch deep into games (which hurts a bad and overworked bullpen even more), and that ridiculous racial discussion he got into a few weeks ago.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #289
General Mike
Pro Starter

Fire Omar.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #290
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I am 100% with Lathum about Philly fans. Year after year the empirical evidence is overwhelming.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #291
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I suggest you guys take a trip to a Steeler game or an Ohio State football game and I'm sure you'll see the same behavior and then some. Steelers fans have to some of the biggest morons on the face of the planet. Half of them get so drunk before the game that they don't make it in and those who make it in pass out by halftime in their seats.

Every fan base has assholes. Philly gets publicized because anything a fan does that is bad is in the newspaper or on TV, but in other places it is ignored.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #292
Logan
Head Coach

Asshole.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #293
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Asshole.

Crosby lover!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #294
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I am 100% with Lathum about Philly fans. Year after year the empirical evidence is overwhelming.

What is this empirical evidence that you speak?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #295
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I suggest you guys take a trip to a Steeler game or an Ohio State football game and I'm sure you'll see the same behavior and then some. Steelers fans have to some of the biggest morons on the face of the planet. Half of them get so drunk before the game that they don't make it in and those who make it in pass out by halftime in their seats.

Every fan base has assholes. Philly gets publicized because anything a fan does that is bad is in the newspaper or on TV, but in other places it is ignored.

I went to one Steelers game, and the fans seemed alright. They hassled the Ravens fans in attendance of course. But I did accidentally hit one big guy when waving my towel, and he just joked about it... so I was happy with my one experience.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #296
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I wish the Philly fans were drunk and asleep.

Philly gets publicized? I've never noticed. I'm just speaking from going to games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
What is this empirical evidence that you speak?

Redskins games in Washington, Nationals games in Washington and Nationals games in Philadelphia. Even the Cubs fans (who come out in droves to Washington) are much easier to deal with than the Phillies fans.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #297
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Philly fans are now more than welcome to join the Patriots fans in the "everyone else thinks we're jerks" club.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #298
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

We gotta win something before we get in that club. Either that or get caught cheating
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #299
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i agree philly fans are usually some of the worst in sports.

one of my favorite pictures ever, which i still cant find on google images, is from when the devils played the flyers in the playoffs. cant remember the year, but id say 2000 or so

it was in philly. the devils had just scored and a devils fan was standing to cheer him. right behind him, a philly fan was throwing a hard punch at him. perfect picture to sum up the city (just like to add, i love philly as a city. love it. just hate their fans)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #300
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
We gotta win something before we get in that club. Either that or get caught cheating

Nah, the simple accusation that all your fans are jerks based on anecdotal incidents with a handful is sufficient for this club.