Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Gee, ref, how many steps does Nash get?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #252
JeeberD
General Manager

Not exactly playoff news, but oh well...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3855677.html

Rockets' Howard accused of shoplifting

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets forward Juwan Howard was accused today of shoplifting a $2,000 pair of sunglasses from a Miami-area optical store.

Miami police are investigating the claim, but no charges have been filed and Howard has denied any wrongdoing.

"I'm aware of the situation and have spoken to my attorney," Howard said in a statement. "I will vigorously defend myself and (I) am confident I'll be cleared of these baseless charges."

The owner of Eye Q Optical in South Beach told Miami television stations that he has a surveillance tape showing Howard take a pair of sunglasses, though he has not allowed media outlets see the tape.

"We are aware and will continue to monitor the situation," Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis said. "We understand Juwan is cooperating fully and is proclaiming his innocence."

Howard, 33, a 12-year NBA veteran, played the past two seasons with the Rockets and has three seasons (including one at his option) remaining on a six-year, $36.9 million contract he signed with the Orlando Magic.

So I guess bilking NBA teams out of tens of millions of dollars isn't a big enough thrill anymore...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #253
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Houston Rockets forward Juwan Howard was accused today of shoplifting a $2,000 pair of sunglasses from a Miami-area optical store.

Miami police are investigating the claim, but no charges have been filed and Howard has denied any wrongdoing.

"I'm aware of the situation and have spoken to my attorney," Howard said in a statement. "I will vigorously defend myself and (I) am confident I'll be cleared of these baseless charges."

The owner of Eye Q Optical in South Beach told Miami television stations that he has a surveillance tape showing Howard take a pair of sunglasses, though he has not allowed media outlets see the tape.

"We are aware and will continue to monitor the situation," Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis said. "We understand Juwan is cooperating fully and is proclaiming his innocence."

Howard, 33, a 12-year NBA veteran, played the past two seasons with the Rockets and has three seasons (including one at his option) remaining on a six-year, $36.9 million contract he signed with the Orlando Magic.

So I guess bilking NBA teams out of tens of millions of dollars isn't a big enough thrill anymore...

Come on now. What happened to that innocent til guilty thing I heard so much about a few weeks ago
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #254
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bah, when it comes to breaking the law, Juwan's got nothing on Olden Polynice.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #255
DeToxRox
Head Coach

On the flipside, Juwan couldn't give his herpes away.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #256
Joe
Pro Starter

so Howard is on the trailblazers now?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #257
Franklinnoble
Banned

The curse of Les Boulez...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #258
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Radmanovich has taken over the Clippers-Suns game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #259
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

I don't believe it.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #260
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Clutch shot by Nash, but why do you allow them to eat all that time rather than forcing a shot?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #261
cmp
Pro Rookie

Damn, I swear I must be getting the Cleveland feed for this game. Enough with the LeBron praise, it's getting pretty damn annoying. Yeah, he's probably the best player in the league but they don't have to mention it every other sentence.

Last edited by cmp : 05-13-2006 at 06:19 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The real MVP is getting his team back into this series vs Detroit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #263
cmp
Pro Rookie

Pistons just didn't execute well at all in the 2nd half, it was their game and they let it slip away.

Last edited by cmp : 05-13-2006 at 06:32 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #264
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101
Pistons just didn't execute well at all in the 2nd half, it was their game and they let it slip away.

No question about that. I thought the announcers were going to wet themselves praising the Pistons D on Lebron in the 3rd quarter.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #265
JeeberD
General Manager

And still no one is talking about the Mavs...

Old 05-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #266
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
And still no one is talking about the Mavs...

good, dont need anyone to hype them up and take the chance of any of them getting overconfident and not making the right plays...i dont think the spurs can handle Devin Harris when Parker is ailing like he is, brilliant coaching this series minus game 1 by Avery....
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Way to go Clippers.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #268
miami_fan
Coordinator

By no means do I fault Larry Hughes for missing games due to the death of his brother. If it were me, I think I would be gone for the playoffs and not just a couple of games. That said, I find it interesting that he has received no criticism for not being with his team during the playoffs in the same way guys have received criticism for being with the wives/girlfriends during childbirth. I don’t see one event being more important than the other. I see no reason to criticize athletes in either case.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #269
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ugly game, but Cavs looking a real chance here.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #270
Groundhog
Coordinator

And an offensive foul on Billups.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #271
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hmm...its looking close. I hope 'Sheed won't trip too much if they lose.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #272
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BALLLLGGAAME
Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #273
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hah, man, did the Cavs want to give the Pistons any more chances in that last minute?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #274
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Woo
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #275
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now, if the Mavs can take out the Spurs, we can get that much closer to seeing Mark Cuban in the NBA Finals. Because..well, c'mon. That'd be better than his reality show.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #276
Groundhog
Coordinator

I sort of hope the Mavs do make it past spurs. Suns-Mavs would be fun (assuming Suns win their series). And a Mavs-Pistons final is much more exciting than Spurs-Pistons.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #277
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
By no means do I fault Larry Hughes for missing games due to the death of his brother. If it were me, I think I would be gone for the playoffs and not just a couple of games. That said, I find it interesting that he has received no criticism for not being with his team during the playoffs in the same way guys have received criticism for being with the wives/girlfriends during childbirth. I don’t see one event being more important than the other. I see no reason to criticize athletes in either case.

I thought that the team may play a lot better without him. He really looked BAD in games 1-2. I feel bad about his brother, however. Our coach just threw him into a starting role after being off for a long time, meanwhile guys like Flip Murray were getting it done. Hughes' shot has been off badly as well.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #278
amdaily
College Prospect

Hughes shouldn't get criticism for missing games, but he should be lambasted for sucking horribily. He never proved he should have been inserted back into the starting lineup at any point during the end of the reg. season or the first series. Should be brought off the bench when the team needs a defensive stop and that is it.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #279
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Hughes shouldn't get criticism for missing games, but he should be lambasted for sucking horribily. He never proved he should have been inserted back into the starting lineup at any point during the end of the reg. season or the first series. Should be brought off the bench when the team needs a defensive stop and that is it.

Yeah, exactly.

Game 2 they are down 5, i think. He gets a charge on a dumbass drive to the hoop. And then on the other side of the court, he hacks someone who gets an and 1....the game is over.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #280
Groundhog
Coordinator

Huge shot by Finley. Can Mavs pull it out...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #281
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nowitzki does what Stackhouse couldn't, and makes the 2 FTs. Scores tied, 8 seconds left. Spurs ball.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #282
Groundhog
Coordinator

OT.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #283
MikeVic
Head Coach

Funny couple of Mavs turnovers in a row there. Over-zealous I guess.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Great night of basketball.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #285
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Mavs taking it to the defending Champs.

Mavs/Suns could be a good Conference Finals matchup (if the Suns can pull outta LA)
Old 05-16-2006, 05:18 AM   #286
miami_fan
Coordinator

Proposed Change in the Playoff Format

Associated Press

DALLAS -- Maybe this will make Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban feel better about his $200,000 fine from the NBA last week: Cuban's club has forced a likely change in the playoff format.

NBA commissioner David Stern discussed a new seeding system Monday aimed at fixing the flaw the Mavericks exposed this season. The Mavs won 60 games, but were seeded fourth behind the three division winners despite a better record.

That's why Dallas and San Antonio, both in the Southwest Division, are meeting in the second round despite having the two best records in the Western Conference.

Under the new proposal, the top four seeds would be slotted by record among the three division winners and the team with the next-best record. Had that been in place this season, the Spurs still would have been No. 1, but the Mavericks would have been No. 2. And they couldn't have met until the conference finals.

The team with the better record -- regardless of seed -- would also have home-court advantage in a series under the new system.

Stern said it was important to keep rewarding division winners in the new system, which still must be approved by the league's competition committee.

"I think if you're going to have a division structure, then give some credibility to that fact," Stern said.

Before Monday's game, Stern visited with Cuban while the outspoken owner worked out on a stair-stepper machine in the Mavericks' locker room. Cuban was wearing a T-shirt that read "Payback time" and told Stern the workout was his pregame ritual.

Last week, Cuban was fined for going on the court to complain about the officiating and for critical comments he made in a blog entry under the title, "How to improve NBA Playoff Officiating."

In the blog, Cuban called the current way officials are chosen for the playoffs a "huge problem." He went on to suggest the league rank referees based on their regular-season performance and use the minimum number of officials necessary in the postseason.

Stern said Monday he didn't think there was merit to the idea.

"It's the kind of conversation I understand and it is an issue, but that's a conversation I would have privately with my owners," Stern said.

"Whatever the individual merits of a particular incident, I can't have 30 owners out there saying whatever they feel like saying. And I can't have 30 owners running on the court to berate the officials."

Stern also said the league would likely ban players next season from wearing tights underneath the shorts. Some players, including Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, have worn leggings that extend all the way down to the ankles.

Stern squeezed in a parting shot at the tights before he likely outlaws the growing fashion trend.

"I think it's good that they look goofy," Stern said.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #287
JeeberD
General Manager

I dear lord I hope the Mavs can pull this off. I hate the Spurs SOOOO much and I want to see them go down SOOOO badly...

Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #288
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bye-bye Nets. Raptor fans must be cheering.

Yet another OT game, Suns and Clips.

Marion with a couple of clutch FT misses, too.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #289
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I love Raja!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #290
RGunner
High School JV

thats a hell of a shot by Bell...geez
Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #291
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I can't stand that fucker. But I have to admit he's money when the game's on the line. Come ooooooon, Clips!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #292
RGunner
High School JV

as a Mavs fan, i want the clippers to win if the mavs can pull out against the spurs, i think the mavs have a much better chance against the clips then the suns...so lets go clippers
Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #293
Groundhog
Coordinator

Marion can be an absolute monster at times.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 AM   #294
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Marion can be an absolute monster at times.

Just not generally int he playoffs...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #295
saldana
Pro Starter

i hate raja, and can someone please cut nash's hair
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #296
SackAttack
Head Coach

Looks like the Suns go to LA up 3-2.

I'm not gonna say these calls cost the Clippers the game - I think the 17 turnovers and Brand's two missed FT's late in the 4th had more to do with that - but that out-of-bounds call on Livingston was terrible, and the 8-second violation on Cassell in the 4th was flat out asinine. Huge, huge mistakes by the officiating crew.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 AM   #297
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Nets has to find at least one scoring threat from the 4 or 5 spot. 2 points from three players is an embarrassment.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #298
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks god the Mavs game is a late start again tonight. I should be able to catch the second half after I get off work...

Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #299
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
i hate raja, and can someone please cut nash's hair

No shit, he's a greasy fucker(nash).
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #300
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Looks like the Suns go to LA up 3-2.

I'm not gonna say these calls cost the Clippers the game - I think the 17 turnovers and Brand's two missed FT's late in the 4th had more to do with that - but that out-of-bounds call on Livingston was terrible, and the 8-second violation on Cassell in the 4th was flat out asinine. Huge, huge mistakes by the officiating crew.

agree on the OB play, but Cassell just had a brain fart and forgot about one of the simple rules of the game. The clips could have won, but too many stupid turnovers late in the game, including the inbounds pass to nobody and straight out of bounds again.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote