Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #251
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Not a chance. They would get suspended for a game for violation of team rules. Max.

Disagree. This is not basketball or football, in which case I would agree with you.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #252
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

As for my opinion if anything happened? I have ZERO idea. I said so above. I don't know and I'm not going to guess either way. I'm not calling the girl a ho. I'm not saying the players are angels. But do I think with what's came out the prosecution has a case? No. I think they are in a world of hurt.

But you see, that is all I've ever said. I have never said the prosecution has a case. Again, please show me where I said that. I gave my opinion. That is all. I have no idea who raped the girl. I just said I believe she was raped and it happened in the bathroom. Who did it, I don't know, nor does the DA, seemingly.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #253
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Not a chance. They would get suspended for a game for violation of team rules. Max.
If they all come up innocent, duke will likely re-up the games and suspend the ones who were actually there for a few games or the whole season and play with walkons/shorthanded
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #254
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
No F______ joke. Where have I suggested anything different?

In post #218 you start out asking where, when and by whom regarding the rape, then at the end you peg it as happening at the house. That was interesting.

In post #222 you accept without question that the fingernails "broke in the bathroom" when all we know is that they were found in the bathroom.

In post #225 you state your belief that the rape happened in that bathroom.

So it seems you have "suggested anything different" at least 3 times just on one page of the thread (I have 50 posts per page). Different than that the evidence so far indicates that something traumatic happened to her that night but nothing indicates it happened via the lacrosse team.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 04-11-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #255
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
In post #218 you start out asking where, when and by whom regarding the rape, then at the end you peg it as happening at the house. That was interesting.

In post #222 you accept without question that the fingernails "broke in the bathroom" when all we know is that they were found in the bathroom.

In post #225 you state your belief that the rape happened in that bathroom.

So it seems you have "suggested anything different" at least 3 times just on this page of the thread (I have 50 posts per page). Different than that the evidence so far indicates that something traumatic happened to her that night but nothing indicates it happened via the lacrosse team.

So you know for a fact that the Lacrosse team was the only ones at that party? Where do we know that for a fact? I have never knew that fact was completely established, and honestly have thought from the very beginning it might have been others involved.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #256
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Is it possible someone clipped their fingernails in there before this party? Or is that just too wild of an idea(might have been mentioned, i havent read) I clip mine in my bathroom and i cant say for certain they all make it into the trash can
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #257
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Is it possible someone clipped their fingernails in there before this party? Or is that just too wild of an idea(might have been mentioned, i havent read) I clip mine in my bathroom and i cant say for certain they all make it into the trash can

They were artificial, and it was only the nails from one hand.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #258
Blade6119
Coordinator

Whatever came of the team supposedly claiming to be the baseball team...anyone heared anything about that?

I also found it hilarious the only person on the team not questioned was the lone black player on the squad, despite the fact he admitted to being at the party. Priceless
Demotivation
Old 04-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #259
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
So you know for a fact that the Lacrosse team was the only ones at that party? Where do we know that for a fact? I have never knew that fact was completely established, and honestly have thought from the very beginning it might have been others involved.

I would think you would have to accept that as a fact given your tendency to accept everything uttered by the DA's office as fact. The lacrosse players all stated during questioning that they knew everyone in the house and they were all lacrosse players.

So unless you're going to accept everything the DA says, everything the girl says, everything the lab says, and everything the lacrosse players say except that they're innocent and that they knew everyone in the house then it's a fact.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #260
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
They were artificial, and it was only the nails from one hand.
I dont have experience in this matter, but do ladies fake nails generally fall off during rape?
Demotivation
Old 04-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #261
GrantDawg

Quote:
I would think you would have to accept that as a fact given your tendency to accept everything uttered by the DA's office as fact. The lacrosse players all stated during questioning that they knew everyone in the house and they were all lacrosse players.

So unless you're going to accept everything the DA says, everything the girl says, everything the lab says, and everything the lacrosse players say except that they're innocent and that they knew everyone in the house then it's a fact.

I accept what officers of the court swear to under threat of perjury most of the time. Anyone is not above lying, but I will generally take parties that have no motivation to lie (ie. the medical examiners in this case) word for things.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #262
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
I accept what officers of the court swear to under threat of perjury most of the time. Anyone is not above lying, but I will generally take parties that have no motivation to lie (ie. the medical examiners in this case) word for things.

Understood. The problem, as I stated previously, is that the only evidence which meets your criteria above is that the woman suffered some sort of trauma and that her fake nails were found in the bathroom along with some money ($400?).

From there you have determined that she was raped in the bathroom. You still haven't explained the logical thought process that led you to that conclusion based on the available evidence. Especially since DNA testing came back negative.

It seems that you are approaching this from the perspective of believing sworn testimony, believing everything the girl says, and not believing the lacrosse players. Which is fine, I guess, but just admit that's your perspective.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #263
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
But you see, that is all I've ever said. I have never said the prosecution has a case. Again, please show me where I said that. I gave my opinion. That is all. I have no idea who raped the girl. I just said I believe she was raped and it happened in the bathroom. Who did it, I don't know, nor does the DA, seemingly.

Huck did a good job of quoting.

You've mentioned the medical examiners and the police multiple times now.

And sadly, you still don't seem to get what I'm trying to say there. All they can do is go off of evidence they see. Again, the bruising is critical here. Did they make any of their judgments based off of that? Did she have rough sex with a boyfriend before she even went to the party?

Hell, they don't know. They can make best guesses, but they aren't 100% accurate and they know that. Their opinion alone means nothing without evidence to back up their claims.

And that's where this case is falling incredibly short now. There doesn't appear to be hard evidence at this point. Maybe the DA has something and will show it at trial. But the lack of evidence in this case is appalling at this point. And if those pictures are accurate and she had bruising before, then what? Are you sure the medical examiners would stick by their remarks then?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #264
GrantDawg

Quote:
Understood. The problem, as I stated previously, is that the only evidence which meets your criteria above is that the woman suffered some sort of trauma and that her fake nails were found in the bathroom along with some money ($400?).

From there you have determined that she was raped in the bathroom. You still haven't explained the logical thought process that led you to that conclusion based on the available evidence. Especially since DNA testing came back negative.

It seems that you are approaching this from the perspective of believing sworn testimony, believing everything the girl says, and not believing the lacrosse players. Which is fine, I guess, but just admit that's your perspective.

It was part of the money she was paid ($140 dollars out of $400), her purse and personal items, and the fingernails. I don't really take everything she has stated as true, but here is my thinking (if I can type all this out)...

If she was raped that night (which the evidence strongly suggests is true) then she would know where it happened. If she were raped by someone else, then why not tell the police who? I can believe she might be wrong on some of the facts (and be leaving out some personal incrimination), but I don't believe she'd not know where she was raped. (actually, I just keep it the short version)

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-11-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #265
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
And that's where this case is falling incredibly short now. There doesn't appear to be hard evidence at this point. Maybe the DA has something and will show it at trial. But the lack of evidence in this case is appalling at this point. And if those pictures are accurate and she had bruising before, then what? Are you sure the medical examiners would stick by their remarks then?

Anal rape and mental state. That is what they said they believed happened. I do believe they stick by that which is why the DA is still convinced a rape occured. Again, this case is far from ready to go to trial (heck, they don't even have a defendant yet).
Old 04-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #266
Blade6119
Coordinator

Did this girl ever date any of the players? revenge motivated?
Demotivation
Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #267
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

While the combination of DNA results and the new photos is certianly bad (and maybe catastrophic) news for the prosection, I'm still not buying the idea that she made it up out of spite. Filing a rape charge, especially against anyone who's even moderately well known, would have to be a fairly life-changing event.

Yes, false charges are filed, but I find it hard to believe she'd do so over something petty like an insult or a few dollars. It's not like she tossed a rock through a window, we're talking about putting her own freedom at risk. There has to be something else to the story.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #268
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
While the combination of DNA results and the new photos is certianly bad (and maybe catastrophic) news for the prosection, I'm still not buying the idea that she made it up out of spite. Filing a rape charge, especially against anyone who's even moderately well known, would have to be a fairly life-changing event.

Yes, false charges are filed, but I find it hard to believe she'd do so over something petty like an insult or a few dollars. It's not like she tossed a rock through a window, we're talking about putting her own freedom at risk. There has to be something else to the story.
Kobe case comes to mind over rape/money...many people accused her of that...i buy it would happen, quite easily...i dont know if it did, but i know girls who would(not my cup of tea, but they are out there)
Demotivation
Old 04-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #269
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Kobe case comes to mind over rape/money...many people accused her of that...i buy it would happen, quite easily...i dont know if it did, but i know girls who would(not my cup of tea, but they are out there)
Given how things worked out for Kobe's alleged victim, why would anyone familiar with that case ever want to make a false accusation? I don't deny that it happens, I just don't buy that it's as common as some seem to think.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #270
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Given how things worked out for Kobe's alleged victim, why would anyone familiar with that case ever want to make a false accusation? I don't deny that it happens, I just don't buy that it's as common as some seem to think.
Thats why i believe their was some reason behind it, and i would assume someone dated someone and pissed the wrong someone off...or someone turned down someone and they wanted revenge...i can think of a plethora of reasons. I dont think its common at all, but were not talking about tons of cases...just a few that all seem to revolve around celebrities or entire sports teams(minus the one black guy she didnt accuse)
Demotivation
Old 04-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #271
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Anal rape and mental state. That is what they said they believed happened. I do believe they stick by that which is why the DA is still convinced a rape occured. Again, this case is far from ready to go to trial (heck, they don't even have a defendant yet).

Mental state is very arbitrary. Everyone has different reactions to traumas. Some people laugh at funerals, they can't help themselves. Doesn't mean they are thrilled the other person died.

I understand there is a standard type of reaction most people have, but it's hard for them to say she's making this stuff up off of her reaction.

The anal rape is interesting. On one hand, you can easily see damage there. But the problem with that is the fact that with that damage SHOULD come more physical evidence. (ie: DNA)

All they can see there is the trauma, they really have no idea if it occured during rough sex, rape, foreign objects, etc.)

I'm NOT saying she's acting and making all of this up. Please don't assume that's my position. I have no freakin idea. But the two things you mentioned simply don't help a lot in determining someone filing a false claim, someone lying about where the event happened or who did it. For that you need evidence that they seem to be sorely lacking.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #272
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

This chick was arrested for stealing a cab, resisting arrest, fleeing from police and trying to run someone over. Who knows what she is capable of doing.

The chick from the St. Johns scandle did exactly what we just describe. She made up a story to get money.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #273
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I also found it hilarious the only person on the team not questioned was the lone black player on the squad, despite the fact he admitted to being at the party. Priceless

Is that true?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #274
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I don't know the answer here, but it is quite interesting that most here such as GD believe everything the alleged victim has said (despite her prior criminal history) and nothing the lacrosse players say. In answer to GD's question how she wouldn't know where she was raped, two plausbile explanations are she was high or she was lying.

If she was treated horrendously by the team when she was there (name-calling, degrading comments), I could see revenge being a very simple motive.

Again, though we don't know enough yet as to who to believe.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #275
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Is that true?

She claims to have been raped by a white person, there would be no need to treat the black player as a suspect. He wasn't tested but everyone there was questioned.

I'm a little curious, must have missed something, what the hell does that woman's story about being called the N word by some of the guys at the house have to do with anything in this case? All that proves is that they are a-holes, not rapists.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #276
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
She claims to have been raped by a white person, there would be no need to treat the black player as a suspect. He wasn't tested but everyone there was questioned.

Well, ok, I can see that. But it's still a little odd. If it were the other way around, would he have been interviewed?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #277
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I'm a little curious, must have missed something, what the hell does that woman's story about being called the N word by some of the guys at the house have to do with anything in this case? All that proves is that they are a-holes, not rapists.

Unless there is a hate crimes statute on the books, it's probably not too relevant. Even if there were such a law, I'm still not certain if it is applicable.

The racial harassment allegations are still very relevant for the players' dealings with Duke's disciplinary system. If the allegations can be proven, it might be enough to get some of them separated from the university.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 04-11-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #278
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Disagree. This is not basketball or football, in which case I would agree with you.

Well, I knew people at Rutgers who were on the less popular times, and when they got in trouble, those were the types of punishments handed out. Soccer, baseball, and, yes, lacrosse. If they missed curfew on game nights or got caught with alcohol in the dorms (underage), they would be suspended for a game. There were 3 lacrosse players in my summer calculus class who got caught cheating on an exam. They got kicked out of the class, and I'm assuming had to start new in another semester. But they never missed a game. I don't think it's a bad assumption that it's how it works at other big schools.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #279
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Still waiting for some sort of evidence showing the players actually did this...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #280
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Still waiting for some sort of evidence showing the players actually did this...
Even in the players account, they're guilty of hosting a party with underage drinking by team members and racial comments.
Quote:
If they all come up innocent, duke will likely re-up the games and suspend the ones who were actually there for a few games or the whole season and play with walkons/shorthanded
Not going to happen. Regardless of how court proceedings go, the court of public opinion and rich alumni will/already have forced Duke to respond disproportionately before the facts are/were in. The coach, one of the most well respected in the sport has been forced out, recruits for next year are applying to other schools, numerous players will transfer and the administration may suspend the sport for up to 3 years after this year. Even if the administration doesn't cancel next season, most players will leave after the way they were railroaded by the community, their classmates and the administration.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #281
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Even in the players account, they're guilty of hosting a party with underage drinking by team members and racial comments.Not going to happen. Regardless of how court proceedings go, the court of public opinion and rich alumni will/already have forced Duke to respond disproportionately before the facts are/were in. The coach, one of the most well respected in the sport has been forced out, recruits for next year are applying to other schools, numerous players will transfer and the administration may suspend the sport for up to 3 years after this year. Even if the administration doesn't cancel next season, most players will leave after the way they were railroaded by the community, their classmates and the administration.

Radii and I were talking about this case yesterday at lunch and I mentioned that I would be in support of a media gag order placed on all cases until they were in court and had actual facts being released rather than speculation and opinions.

Of course it was wrong for the players to be involved in a party where alcohol was given to underage students, however that is a far cry from a rape charge. Had this case been investigated without constant media scrutiny, they would have gotten a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine of some sort, certainly an appropriate punishment. But instead, the court of public opinion, fueled by information provided by the media has already tried this case and entered the sentencing phase, and now it seems that the crime didn't even occur.

I felt the same way during the Peterson, Smith, Yates, Simpson, etc...cases...someone needs to step in and demand that there be some sort of limit as to what and who the media can have access to?
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #282
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Even if the administration doesn't cancel next season, most players will leave after the way they were railroaded by the community, their classmates and the administration.

Hard to say what will happen. I would think that a few players would stay on if it meant receiving a Duke degree.

But as I mentioned before, even if the sexual assault allegations are unfounded, there are still secondary allegations (racial and sexual harrassment, alcohol, etc) to be dealt with via Duke's disciplinary system. Some of these players may not be allowed to continue on at Duke.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 04-12-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #283
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Radii and I were talking about this case yesterday at lunch and I mentioned that I would be in support of a media gag order placed on all cases until they were in court and had actual facts being released rather than speculation and opinions.

Of course it was wrong for the players to be involved in a party where alcohol was given to underage students, however that is a far cry from a rape charge. Had this case been investigated without constant media scrutiny, they would have gotten a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine of some sort, certainly an appropriate punishment. But instead, the court of public opinion, fueled by information provided by the media has already tried this case and entered the sentencing phase, and now it seems that the crime didn't even occur.

I felt the same way during the Peterson, Smith, Yates, Simpson, etc...cases...someone needs to step in and demand that there be some sort of limit as to what and who the media can have access to?

I agree with you that, as a policy matter, a lot of these cases would go better if the media kept their speculation out of it. The problem, of course, is the First Amendment. This may be one of those areas where we take the bad (this case being tried in the court of public opinion before charges were even filed) because we place such value on the good (a free press generally).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... most players will leave after the way they were railroaded by the community, their classmates and the administration.

And they'd be damned fools not to (leave that is).

They were the perfect villains -- presumably wealthy, white, and male.
The train that ran them over says more about the community, their classmates, and the administration than the players.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
They were the perfect villains -- presumably wealthy, white, and male.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #286
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I agree with you that, as a policy matter, a lot of these cases would go better if the media kept their speculation out of it. The problem, of course, is the First Amendment. This may be one of those areas where we take the bad (this case being tried in the court of public opinion before charges were even filed) because we place such value on the good (a free press generally).

It seems like the First Amendment rights might be trampling on the individual rights. The accused and the accuser are going through hell right now and the students may have to transfer somewhere else to get an education in a safe environment. This seems like a heavy price to pay for a press that is really only serving itself by printing the sensational "news" before any real facts are revealed.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #287
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If it does turn out that these women are lying about what happened, then that will almost be as bad as if it actually did happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #288
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Hard to say what will happen. I would think that a few players would stay on if it meant receiving a Duke degree.
A few of them, either seniors/maybe juniors and the scrubs from the team may, but for the talented ones, there is no shortage of academically sound schools that would be happy to pick them up. Georgetown being the most obvious, because intra-ACC transfers to UVA/UNC/UMD would have to sit out a year, and the service academies and Ivies don't accept transfers if I've heard correctly. Hofstra (esp. w/Danowski's father the coach there), Fairfield and Rutgers all options if they want to go back closer to where they're from. Hopkins, Notre Dame, Syracuse other highly regarded academic institutions, schools like UMass and the SUNY's available for kids who weren't doing as well academically or end up with a lengthy disciplinary record. That's just D1 - D3 has teams like the NESCAC schools (Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Tufts) etc. I can guarantee that playing lacrosse will mean more than the comparative advantage of a Duke education vs. the other top lax schools.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #289
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
It seems like the First Amendment rights might be trampling on the individual rights. The accused and the accuser are going through hell right now and the students may have to transfer somewhere else to get an education in a safe environment. This seems like a heavy price to pay for a press that is really only serving itself by printing the sensational "news" before any real facts are revealed.
While I think they've done their part in this, I don't think you can just blame the media. An awful lot of people from an awful lot of directions took the media's (often sensationalized) reports of allegations and immediately assumed them to be true.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #290
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree. It is a hard price to pay. To take this case as an example--unless some hard evidence or confessions come out either way--then you are going to have a large group of people who think that these kids are rapists (no matter how things are resolved) and large group of people who think that the girl lied about being raped (no matter how things are resolved). Either of those is a horrible stigma that will stay with these people for life.

The problem is that it is so hard to start placing restrictions on the media that do not go too far. But it is certainly an issue worth looking at--especially when both the DA and the defense attorneys use the media as a weapon (as any good DA and defense attorney does).
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #291
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
A few of them, either seniors/maybe juniors and the scrubs from the team may, but for the talented ones, there is no shortage of academically sound schools that would be happy to pick them up. Georgetown being the most obvious, because intra-ACC transfers to UVA/UNC/UMD would have to sit out a year, and the service academies and Ivies don't accept transfers if I've heard correctly. Hofstra (esp. w/Danowski's father the coach there), Fairfield and Rutgers all options if they want to go back closer to where they're from. Hopkins, Notre Dame, Syracuse other highly regarded academic institutions, schools like UMass and the SUNY's available for kids who weren't doing as well academically or end up with a lengthy disciplinary record. That's just D1 - D3 has teams like the NESCAC schools (Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Tufts) etc. I can guarantee that playing lacrosse will mean more than the comparative advantage of a Duke education vs. the other top lax schools.

Ivy schools do accept transfers, but potential transfers have to have been admissable as high school seniors (in other words, if you didn't have the grades and test scores the first time around, you will not get in as a transfer even if you did well academically as a college student. Silly rule, but that's the Ivy League for you).

I thought that you would have to sit out a year if you went to another D1 school, whether it was another ACC school or not.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #292
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
While I think they've done their part in this, I don't think you can just blame the media. An awful lot of people from an awful lot of directions took the media's (often sensationalized) reports of allegations and immediately assumed them to be true.

I'd say that it starts with the media though. They are in such a rush to be the first ones to get the story out even before there is a story. True, people are dumb and they believe anything they read, but this is another example of the media creating news by printing everything every lawyer says, even if there is no basis for it.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #293
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I agree. It is a hard price to pay. To take this case as an example--unless some hard evidence or confessions come out either way--then you are going to have a large group of people who think that these kids are rapists (no matter how things are resolved) and large group of people who think that the girl lied about being raped (no matter how things are resolved). Either of those is a horrible stigma that will stay with these people for life.

The problem is that it is so hard to start placing restrictions on the media that do not go too far. But it is certainly an issue worth looking at--especially when both the DA and the defense attorneys use the media as a weapon (as any good DA and defense attorney does).

I'd like to see gag orders for all crimes. All the lawyers are trying to do is influence the jury pool. I'd also like to see the media not be able to report details of a crime, or names of the participants. The trouble is that there would be no way to find and punish the leaks.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This is probably the point where I point out that one of the primary (_the_ primary?) reasons that things such as arrests are matters of public record, in order to prevent people from simply being "disappeared".

And that's what makes it really tough to justify restricting access to such information.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #295
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
This is probably the point where I point out that one of the primary (_the_ primary?) reasons that things such as arrests are matters of public record, in order to prevent people from simply being "disappeared".

And that's what makes it really tough to justify restricting access to such information.

That's a very good point.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #296
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I thought that you would have to sit out a year if you went to another D1 school, whether it was another ACC school or not.
That is true for football/basketball/most sports I've heard of, but for some reason lacrosse doesn't have that rule, provided the player gets a release from the AD/Coach. It might be related to players not getting full scholarships, or somehow with how football doesn't penalize for 1A-1AA transfers. Either way, in the event Duke drops the sport, even for a year, players are usually allowed to transfer with no NCAA penalty. And the ACC has a 2-year prohibition against intra-conference transfers, (I think the Big Ten may have something like this too) but may relax those rules in this situation.

I have no idea where in the NCAA rulebook it would resolve this - according to the NCAA Duke's games cancelled this season aren't even considered forfeits?!?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-12-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #297
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That is a good point, but I would have to believe there is a difference between making it public record and trying the case in the media. There are all kinds of documents and records that never make the mainstream media.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #298
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Either way, in the event Duke drops the sport, even for a year, players are usually allowed to transfer with no NCAA penalty.

Yeah, the NCAA will probably waive any transfer rules in this instance.

But it is weird that lacrosse wouldn't be subject to NCAA transfer rules within D1.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #299
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

He was not questioned they said on CNN. He told his dad what happened and his dad said he doesnt want to talk about it with anyone. Since the police didnt ask, they dont want to tell. But he admitted he was there, so he should have been questioned.
Demotivation
Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #300
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
That is a good point, but I would have to believe there is a difference between making it public record and trying the case in the media. There are all kinds of documents and records that never make the mainstream media.

But once something is in the public record, can't the media do with it what it will? I could see (but not agree with) a rule that said that most information involving arrests and indictments had to be kept confidental.

But I can't see a rule saying that the public has access to it--but the "mainstream media" should not report it. The reason things like the latest crop reports are not big news isn't because the media can't broadcast them. It is because no one in the public really cares enough to know (except, of course, for Randolph and Mortimer Duke). The fact that this case is being tried in the media is because people are interested in knowing about it (how many pages is this thread) and you can sell papers reporting it.

Now, I will grant you that the participant's lives have been changed forever by the way in which they have been portrayed in the press during this case. But I think that that gets more to journalistic ethics (is that an oxymoron yet?) than anything the law can or should change.