Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #251
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

The level of coach I had to make myself in order to get offered the UNC job has made the game ridiculously easy. I got all 5 recruits that I wanted. Starting my 2nd season I have 4 freshmen nominated for the Norton Award.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #252
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
The level of coach I had to make myself in order to get offered the UNC job has made the game ridiculously easy. I got all 5 recruits that I wanted. Starting my 2nd season I have 4 freshmen nominated for the Norton Award.

Two questions.

One, did you win the championship with this team? I have been working on tweaking the initial abilities of the freshmen for the next patch. If you didn't win the championship or haven't even gotten that far how can you say the game is ridiculously easy?

Unless the recruits you brought in all had no interest in going to UNC yet somehow you still managed to get them I don't think its unrealistic that you're running one of the most prestigous programs in the country and pretty much any player you want that has interest in UNC is going to be a likely recruit. Now if you got five great recruits and Duke lost out on all five of those that would be a different story.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #253
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
The assistant coaches can be fired without penalty from the point where you buy the scouting reports to the point when you sim the first week of recruiting and that holds true for new and current dynasties.

Check the game into screen and be sure that it says version 1.2 just to be sure
Gary,

I'm definitely running 1.2 - so if I understand you correctly, you cannot fire a current assistant coach under contract during the Coach Hire/Fire stage without getting dinged for his contract as well as a new hire. However, after we get our new annual budget and are prompted to buy scouting reports up to the first recruiting week we can fire a current assistant coach and get the final years of his contract added back into our remaining budget balance? And then hire a new assistant coach?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #254
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Well the budget is only for a single year so when you fire the coach before recruiting starts you get his amount for that year back into your budget to hire a new coach with but yes, that is how it works. Its that way to allow people to change coaches when starting a new association without penalty and to allow people to back out of the mistake of hiring a coach they cannot afford.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #255
twothree
College Prospect

Are there ANY multiplayer leagues for this game?

I recently purchased the game, and couldn't find any leagues to join. The league mentioned in this thread seems to have died...

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=10649

...and I did not see any other threads on this forum or greydog's about a league that is actually running or getting started. The game seems to be patched to a point where a multiplayer league would be feasible. Does anyone have a link to a TCB multiplayer league?
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #256
jbmagic
Pro Starter

there a Repeat Recruting Class being reported.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=11584
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #257
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
there a Repeat Recruting Class being reported.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=11584

Yeah, sucks to hear that. If I recall correctly, FBCB had a similar issue at one point.

Edit: Here's the thread that mentioned the FBCB problem.. http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...4&postcount=56

Last edited by sovereignstar : 02-02-2006 at 09:19 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #258
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

probably the same issue HR had back then - I'm sure I'll have it worked out shortly
Old 02-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #259
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Something seems broken with Prestige. I had Prestige of 14, went 17-12 (8-8), and dropped all the way down to NINE Prestige. I had another season earlier at this low level where I won the conference tourney, and *DROPPED* from around 13 to 11, I think.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #260
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd like to agree with a couple of the early points in the thread.

1. Someone said the PBP screen layout was awkward with the pbp text on the left and the 2d display on the right and suggested making it a top/bottom split instead of a left/right split. I agree that would be a better layout, something to consider for the next version as at least an option.

2. Someone also mentioned the calculating the Bubble Watch whenever you go to the media screen. It would be better not to do that calculation until you actually go to the Bubble Watch screen IMO. I go to the media all the time to check standings, etc and I still have to wait a few seconds for the Bubble Watch to be calculated even if I'm not going to look at it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #261
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
Are there ANY multiplayer leagues for this game?

I recently purchased the game, and couldn't find any leagues to join. The league mentioned in this thread seems to have died...

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=10649

...and I did not see any other threads on this forum or greydog's about a league that is actually running or getting started. The game seems to be patched to a point where a multiplayer league would be feasible. Does anyone have a link to a TCB multiplayer league?

If you find a league, please post it. I haven't seen any aside from Hardwood Classic, which as you mentioned, seems to have died.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #262
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Something seems broken with Prestige. I had Prestige of 14, went 17-12 (8-8), and dropped all the way down to NINE Prestige. I had another season earlier at this low level where I won the conference tourney, and *DROPPED* from around 13 to 11, I think.

I posted this on GDS' board, but I also think Prestige is broken. I took UNO with a prestige of 26 to a 15-16 record. I won my conference tournament and I made a game of it in the first round NCAA tournament (but lost 82-75 to the #3 seed.) I dropped a point. I don't think UNO or many low prestige teams would drop a point after making it to the NCAA tournament.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #263
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

The prestige calculation is a mix of both current prestige which changes every season and historical prestige which accumulates over time. I'm working on tweaking this for the next patch but it would be possible to drop if your prior season was better than the one you just finished.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #264
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

dola one thing that needs to be tweaked is altering the prestige based on conferences - its too harsh on the smaller conference teams right now as have been mentioned in this thread
Old 02-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #265
Ben E Lou

Quote:
The prestige calculation is a mix of both current prestige which changes every season and historical prestige which accumulates over time. I'm working on tweaking this for the next patch but it would be possible to drop if your prior season was better than the one you just finished.
That makes sense, but I shouldn't drop to a five-year low just because I didn't win my 5th straight Atlantic Sun tourney.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #266
twothree
College Prospect

I noticed while viewing the generated HTML pages that no pages are generated for Vermont. Also, the American East Conference Standings HTML page (AECStandings) links Vermont to Virginia Tech's HTML page.

Probably, Vermont's pages are being generated first and then Virginia Tech's pages, with both using the same abbreviation (VT).

I don't know if this is a problem with the program or Icy's Real College pack, as I have that installed (both at version 1.2).

Edit:
Also, Indiana's HTML page and the Independents Standings' HTML page (IndStandings) both link to a graphic file with the same name (IND.gif and Ind.gif). Even though, the capitalization is different, as far as I know you can't have both of these files in the same image directory.

Last edited by twothree : 02-04-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #267
ScottVib
High School Varsity

The issues are with the abbreviations, if you export to database change the abbreviations and reimport the issue should be fixed.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #268
George
H.S. Freshman Team

There's a TCB league forming, if anyone is interested.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=11751
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #269
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

While waiting on the BBCF patch 1.1, I've really been playing the heck out of this game and I'm having alot of fun. I accepted a position at Central Arkansas and it's really been challenging getting a year when you have 5 good starters and a decent bench. You're winning games, getting the RPI up to new heights, cohesion is there... then your starting PF gets suspended for academics and you lose 4 games in a row, win a game, then lose another 4. Ok, maybe this isn't the year.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #270
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn you Gary! All I've wanted since my first season at Central Arkansas was a job at Missouri, now I'm reallly starting to build CA somewhat and look what job I see might be available... SLU! DOH!!

Do I dare give them a call and inquire about the job? Would they even want me??

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-12-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #271
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So I give them a ring and their AD says, "Coach - thank you for inquiring about our coaching vacancy. At the current time we have some other canidates in mind but I thank you for your interest and good luck elsewhere."

Is that so? I'll be looking for you on our schedule next year!!

Take your 7-20 record and shove it up your.........

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-12-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #272
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Heh, I keep debating whether or not to take a job with a low level team in a major conference or stay with Central Connecticut, but I think I'll be staying with the Blue Devils a season or two longer, if only to see what becomes of the stud center I recruited (who put up a 24 point 9 board 3 steal game in his debut).
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #273
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
Heh, I keep debating whether or not to take a job with a low level team in a major conference or stay with Central Connecticut, but I think I'll be staying with the Blue Devils a season or two longer, if only to see what becomes of the stud center I recruited (who put up a 24 point 9 board 3 steal game in his debut).

I think St. Louis knew something. I have a terrible team so far this season, in their defense, they are very young and I just got two guys to transfer to CA. Too bad they need to get those grades up before next year though!! If they do, I like the looks of this team for next year.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 PM   #274
rexallllsc
Banned

Man, it's really tough for me to follow the PbP and the on-court action.

Bleh.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #275
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Do you feel a need to follow the pbp though? With the players moving on the court and the on court popups telling you who scored, rebounded, blocked shots etc do you find yourself still looking for more info?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #276
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you feel a need to follow the pbp though? With the players moving on the court and the on court popups telling you who scored, rebounded, blocked shots etc do you find yourself still looking for more info?

Nope, not really.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #277
Galaril
Pro Starter

Gary, any news on the 1.3 patch
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #278
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, it's a bit herky jerky for me - I know most like the PbP, I'm just not nuts about it. Just a personal thing - I do like knowing here the shots are taken from, though.

I like the game, just have a problem looking left-right. I wish it was more of an up-down thing.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #279
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Gary, any news on the 1.3 patch

should be released sometime tomorrow - here's what it will cover for anyone interested

version 1.3
----------------
- fixed display bug when showing which jobs assistant coaches hire at
- fixed issues with technical fouls
- fixed issue with displaying technical foul shots
- fixed RTE 53 playing out conf tourney games where no file exists for conf court
- tweaked coach ratings
- tweaked recruits with grades and school interests and initial ratings
- no longer allow GPA to be visible unless player is contacted or is in report bought
- altered shot distribution
- fixed RTE 91 at the league awards
- changed blue text on day schedule
- adjusted prestige calculations
- adjusted firing code
- tweaked game code for fewer blowouts
- altered human team only HTML to only print out conference standings with human coached teams
- added prestige hit possibility for cutting scholarship players
- added saving of conference tournament champions to almanac
- added historical team and coach records to almanac
- updated "last shot" option in game play to function as a "run clock" option when last shot is n/a
- game logs added for human teams when option selected
- changed code to consider MD recruits as home state for DC schools
- MP leagues should now import/export number of available scholarships correctly
- fixed duplicate number issue
- fixed recruits in future pools with same names
- created draftpool.rkf file at season's end to be used for importing into TPB 2005
* To use this file place it in your leaguename folder in the saves folder prior to clicking the import rookies button in the offseason*
Old 02-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #280
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Yeah, it's a bit herky jerky for me - I know most like the PbP, I'm just not nuts about it. Just a personal thing - I do like knowing here the shots are taken from, though.

I like the game, just have a problem looking left-right. I wish it was more of an up-down thing.

No, I get the left-right thing and for future versions I'm going to experiment with an up-down layout instead. My point was that I had hoped the moving 2D gameplay would pretty much render the pbp not that necessary.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #281
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
No, I get the left-right thing and for future versions I'm going to experiment with an up-down layout instead. My point was that I had hoped the moving 2D gameplay would pretty much render the pbp not that necessary.

The top-bottom would rock. Maybe check out the way FM does - it love their setup.

You know another thing that might help w/ using the PbP exclusively? If a small name (last name) was under the guy who had the ball (and maybe the guy who just passed, too).

Just a thought.

Thanks for the excellent support!
Old 02-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #282
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
- created draftpool.rkf file at season's end to be used for importing into TPB 2005
* To use this file place it in your leaguename folder in the saves folder prior to clicking the import rookies button in the offseason*

Is this me clapping excitedly?

Yes, this is me clapping excitedly.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #283
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Did the RPI get fixed? Seems like there are some seeding issues as well, ie a team with the #4 RPI being seeded 6th.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #284
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I have not fixed the issue that slightly throws the RPIs off - I've tried to run some tests and I don't think its with regards to conference play as was originally suggested. It's not like the RPIs are way off though. That said, I'm still looking into it.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #285
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
created draftpool.rkf file at season's end to be used for importing into TPB 2005

so that means we will not see an update patch for Total pro Basketball 2005 now?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #286
Emiliano
College Prospect

Great job Gary! I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
so that means we will not see an update patch for Total pro Basketball 2005 now?
Exactly. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, Gary said in the GDS boards that we'll have to import this way for now.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #287
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Gary, forgive me if this in the thread earlier, but did you find what the issue is with the duplicate recruit classes?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #288
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Gary, forgive me if this in the thread earlier, but did you find what the issue is with the duplicate recruit classes?
I guess he means that with this:
- fixed recruits in future pools with same names

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #289
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Duh, you're right. Thanks.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #290
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
I have not fixed the issue that slightly throws the RPIs off - I've tried to run some tests and I don't think its with regards to conference play as was originally suggested. It's not like the RPIs are way off though. That said, I'm still looking into it.

Well, I would say they are off by a lot. Right around when conference tournament play begins RPIs drop for all teams about .200 to .300 points. Before the conference tournaments begin you might have all teams in a range from .750-.250, and then suddenly every team loses RPI ratings and the range become something like .550-.050.

That is no longer an RPI. The teams are still ranked correctly (or close enough), but those numbers are being calculated incorrectly.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #291
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
Well, I would say they are off by a lot. Right around when conference tournament play begins RPIs drop for all teams about .200 to .300 points. Before the conference tournaments begin you might have all teams in a range from .750-.250, and then suddenly every team loses RPI ratings and the range become something like .550-.050.

That is no longer an RPI. The teams are still ranked correctly (or close enough), but those numbers are being calculated incorrectly.

Ah well that's a bit different - one poster said the dropoff seemed to happen at the beginning of conference play - not at the conference tournament so I'll look at that. But yeah, my point was that while the numbers are not correct that they're all off on the same scale so the teams are still being ranked correctly.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #292
twothree
College Prospect

Actually, I was wrong. I fired up the program and took a look at it.

The error occurs when the Bubble Watch is first calculated.
Feb. 12th?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #293
jbmagic
Pro Starter

TCB 1.3 update is available now for download

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=12076
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #294
Galaril
Pro Starter

JB, when I saw you last posted I figured it was for the 1.3 patch. You are really on top onthat stuff good work. And Gary great game and support.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #295
jbmagic
Pro Starter

old link was remove

new link for 1.3 download

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/downloads.php?id=58
Old 02-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #296
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

That is not the link for the patch - that links to the update from the demo version to the retail version. The patch files will be available in 30-45 minutes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #297
Ben E Lou

Conference movement?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #298
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is not the link for the patch - that links to the update from the demo version to the retail version. The patch files will be available in 30-45 minutes
Oops, i downloaded and installed that one and the game seems running fine and says 1.3. I guess that the only problem is that it overwrote the custom database i had etc but i had it saved anyway. Any other possible problem for using that wrongly linked patch?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #299
Terps
College Prospect

Do the draft classes exported for use in TPB have to match the season in TPB you're currently in?
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #300
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Oops, i downloaded and installed that one and the game seems running fine and says 1.3. I guess that the only problem is that it overwrote the custom database i had etc but i had it saved anyway. Any other possible problem for using that wrongly linked patch?
I second Icy's question: I did the same thing. It says 1.3 for me too. It's better to re-install everything fresh?