Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #251
MJ4H
Coordinator

Picked up Planet Puzzle League this afternoon. Played my first game of it online and won easily. I was always decent at Tetris Attack on SNES and my knowledge of that carried over perfectly. I highly recommend this game. If you like Meteos but think the blocks all run together like I do, this game is a huge improvement (and I like the gameplay much better than Meteos). Plus Online! And Voice Chat! And yeah.

Friend Code for PPL:
395238-668139

Bring it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #252
MJ4H
Coordinator

So I played PPL for a couple of hours and got a high score of 3179 on the score attack mode. My wife comes home and breaks 4000 in her 3rd try.

Crap.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #253
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Picked up Planet Puzzle League this afternoon. Played my first game of it online and won easily. I was always decent at Tetris Attack on SNES and my knowledge of that carried over perfectly. I highly recommend this game. If you like Meteos but think the blocks all run together like I do, this game is a huge improvement (and I like the gameplay much better than Meteos). Plus Online! And Voice Chat! And yeah.

Friend Code for PPL:
395238-668139

Bring it.

I'll have to check this out, maybe pick it up tonight or if not tonight, then this weekend.
I never played any of the Tetris Attack games (or any of it's clones) or Meteos, I was always a fan of the pure Tetris or Dr. Mario, so I guess I'll suck at first but so be it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #254
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wife and I both could not put it down last night. When it was time for bed, I mumbled something about having forgotten to try puzzle mode on it (where you have clear all the blocks in a set number of moves) and we sat in the dark in the bed cooperating on the first two sets of puzzles (not that any more than a couple of them required any thought at all).
Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #255
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MJ4H's PPL code added to the first post

I'd love to get Dr Mario co-op online- I'm not all that great but it's really fun and one of the few games where my wife plays me to a draw or can even beat me some nights. Maybe it'll be VC on the Wii

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-09-2007 at 02:28 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #256
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I finally finished Pokemon Diamond (well, beat E4 + the champion).
69 hours of gaming, though at least 16 of that was me falling asleep with the DS on.

I think I'm going to put down Pokemon for a little while (definitely will be coming back to it for the Dex completion), but for now I'm switching to Gurumin (PSP) and Etrian Odyssey (DS).

/tk
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #257
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(I think I'm around ~220 hours on Pearl but there are probably a good 60+ hours of that where I was asleep with it on)

SI

Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #258
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bump since we haven't for a while. Not much coming out for the DS for a little bit since we're in the dead of the summer.

In Pearl, I'm up to an even 350 Pokemon captured thru breeding, trades, catching, etc. Also, a little over 240 hours.

SI

Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 AM   #259
hukarez
College Starter

Got 341 on my dex so far, and met a couple of friends at a local GameCrazy here.

They've been pretty active in pursuing the completion of a Pokedex, and we're having enormous trouble trying to get Deoxys (sp?). I'm surprised by what I've been able to grab with Level 1 Burmy and Spiritombs, so far I got a Celebi, Lugia, Dialga and Regigas for Spiritombs and Burmies!

Latest DS game I snagged up so far was Hoshigami, which is turning out to be a pleasant surprise for me.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 AM   #260
Izulde
Head Coach

Where we would find the friends codes in our games? Because I have Mario Kart at least.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #261
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
They've been pretty active in pursuing the completion of a Pokedex, and we're having enormous trouble trying to get Deoxys (sp?). I'm surprised by what I've been able to grab with Level 1 Burmy and Spiritombs, so far I got a Celebi, Lugia, Dialga and Regigas for Spiritombs and Burmies!

I've been getting the crazy stuff over at Gamefaqs. I think I have pretty much all of the legendaries except a couple I need to move over from a copy of Sapphire I have (Regis and the Birds from Colosseum or XD). That said, the GTS is a gold mine of junk if you have patience. I've been using munchlax's to get stuff and I've gotten a lot of dex fillers as well as some crazy stuff like manaphy. Also, I'll trade for dex fillers like, say, a dewgong, which I have seen in battle but can't catch in Pearl, breed it to get a seel and there are two more into the 'dex.

SI

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #262
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

It amazes me, I was out of town for 3 days for a funeral, brought my DS , iPod, and stitching with me, and played the DS exactly once (a 30 minute session of Etrian Odyssey) (didn't do any stitching at all). For me, right now, Pokemon is put down, now that I beat E4, but I'll be back on it soon enough.

/tk
Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #263
Calis
College Starter

So I picked up Picross for the DS the other day, and have become consumed by it.

I guess I missed ever being introduced to this game, and I never got into Sudoku, but this has hooked me. Just a great puzzle game, and for $20 bucks it's a great price also. Highly recommended.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #264
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ive been playing the picross puzzles at wiipicross.com. They are awesome. Im sure I will be picking up picross for DS soon. Is the zooming in and out annoying? That and the error feedback are the only two concerns I have from the reviews. If those things are not too bad, it is a definite buy for me.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #265
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Ive been playing the picross puzzles at wiipicross.com. They are awesome. Im sure I will be picking up picross for DS soon. Is the zooming in and out annoying? That and the error feedback are the only two concerns I have from the reviews. If those things are not too bad, it is a definite buy for me.

I think the zoom is ok, but I switched to the d-pad control method. Seems a little easier to handle. I might go back when I get to the advanced mode, but with the errors counting against you in normal mode I got annoyed with accidentally hitting the wrong square. Zoom seems to work pretty well in my opinion, but I'm still on relatively small puzzles, I just went into the advanced ones that really need zoom to see how it works.

The error thing is kind of annoying. I'd like to just play through and have it finish when I've completed the puzzle correctly, rather than the immediate feedback of right or wrong. Guess I just need to hurry up and finish the normal mode.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #266
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I got the chance to use the Nintendo Fan Network at Safeco Field on Sunday during the Red Sox vs Mariners game.

The Nintendo Fan network allows you to use your Nintendo DS to view replays, player stats, chat, play games and order food for $5 per game.

Setup is pretty simple. You select the DS download and play option and download the software to your Nintendo DS. Once loaded, you enter your user name, the network password provided to you and your section, row and seat number.

The first thing we did was order food. The menu has a decent selection of food and beverages (including alcohol, woo!) but it does not include the entire menu of items available in the stadium. We ordered burgers, chili dogs, sandwiches, nachos, peanuts and beers which were delivered to our seats in 10 minutes flat. Taxes and service fees (tips) were included in the price of the order.

Next I tried the replay and video modes. Video is fast but very low quality and was probably the least impressive part of the service. The video is the same thing that plays on the screens throughout the stadium and it was easier to watch it on those.

The ability to bring up current player stats for both teams was a nice feature and I used this quite a bit during the game. The stats were complete and current, including stats for Adam Jones who was called up from AAA Tacoma the day before for the Mariners.

A similar service allowed me to check current scores around the league for games played that day. I was able to keep an eye on my Yankees while they beat up on the Royals 8-5. Stats were not included, which would have been a nice feature.

The chat feature is decent but limits you to using canned messages and replies. You can bring up a list of other people on the network and send/receive messages like “What’s your favorite team” and “I just caught a fly ball”. It’s cheesy but fun.

I spent most of the time chatting with someone named “Ms”, and knew a message had arrived from them when a mail icon on the front screen would flash. There were at least 100 users on the network during the game out of a crowd of 46,377 people. I’d love to see them allow users to type their own messages but understand why they don’t do this.

Games are included and are simple. There is a trivia, find-a-word crossword style game, and a memory match game where you have to match tiles on a board to clear the level. We spent most of our time with the trivia game and enjoyed it. When you complete the games a leaderboard opens up so you can compare your scores with other fans on the network.

Five bucks bought a lot of convenience and I would be more than willing to use the service again. If they can improve the video playback and open the chat features up to include custom messages this would be the perfect service offering for Nintendo DS baseball fans.

Photos:

Last edited by Yellow5 : 08-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #267
MikeVic
Head Coach

That sounds cool!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #268
MJ4H
Coordinator

I remember reading about this when it was announced. This is brilliant.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #269
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds really cool- $5 per game is a tad steep in my book, tho. Is it just at Safeco or are there other stadiums that have it?

SI

Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #270
Yellow5
High School Varsity

There is a 30-game package available for this and that cuts the price down quite a bit... if you are going to 30 games.

As far as I know, this is only available at Safeco Field.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That'd be kindof neat if they had it in KC. I'd check it out for a game.

SI

Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #272
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, actually, this screams to be a free service. I'd try it once for $5, but then never pay for it again.

I mean, shouldn't the ordering food be free?? You're buying stuff from them.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #273
MikeVic
Head Coach

I bought Rune Factory last night and played it for a bit. After I read the review for this game, I was really excited about it. Can't wait to progress in this one.

Now when will I have time to do hard on Guitar Hero 2 and actually buy Metroid Prime 3.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #274
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Puzzle Quest needs to go on sale somewhere since that's what I want to try eventually.

SI

Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #275
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I bought Rune Factory last night and played it for a bit. After I read the review for this game, I was really excited about it. Can't wait to progress in this one.

Now when will I have time to do hard on Guitar Hero 2 and actually buy Metroid Prime 3.

Is that the Harvest Moon game?

/tk
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #276
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Is that the Harvest Moon game?

/tk

Yup! Harvest Moon with fighting integrated. You can apparently befriend monsters to work on your farm.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #277
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yup! Harvest Moon with fighting integrated. You can apparently befriend monsters to work on your farm.

Have you ever played any of the other Harvest Moon games? I've never played one, not really sure I get the concept....

/tk
Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #278
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Have you ever played any of the other Harvest Moon games? I've never played one, not really sure I get the concept....

/tk

Oh yeah, I first played one on the SNES, and then one of the PS1 for quite awhile... followed by a couple on the Gamecube. It sounds boring... you farm, upgrade your house, and look for a wife. But I found it really fun.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #279
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I first played one on the SNES, and then one of the PS1 for quite awhile... followed by a couple on the Gamecube. It sounds boring... you farm, upgrade your house, and look for a wife. But I found it really fun.

*stars humming Animal Crossing music* Dammit, get out of my head, you addictive game!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-28-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #280
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
*stars humming Animal Crossing music* Dammit, get out of my head, you addictive game!

SI

Yeah, I played that for Cube and DS too. Got a Cube just for that game.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #281
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

tk passed this along:
http://dailygadget.typepad.com/daily...ion-pokem.html

If you don't have Manaphy in your Pokedex and don't mind standing around with a bunch of kids in a Toys R Us to get it, here's your chance.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-01-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just a heads up for anyone still playing Pokemon or just starting. I'm getting pretty close to a full Pokedex (over 450 at this point) and I've got some fluff that's just taking up space in my storage that's free to anyone who wants it. Otherwise, I'll probably end up giving it away to people looking for stuff on gamefaqs. Just shoot me a PM and we can get together- just make sure to also catch some Bidoofs or whatever generic Pokemon you want to trade for them.

----
Have
----
Venonat, Drowzee, Vulpix
Bellsprout, Exeggcute, Spearow
Chansey, Clefairy, Seel, Tentacool
Rhyhorn, Mankey, Doduo
Alakazam, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Electrode
Gyarados, Psyduck, Horsea, Poliwag

Koffing, Meowth, Wobbuffet
Girafarig, Sneasel, Unown
Ledyba, Spinarak, Hoothoot
Marill, Cleffa, Wooper, Natu

Zigzagoon, Taillow, whismur
Wurple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Beautifly
Lotad, Lombre, Cacnea, Baltoy
Makuhita, Meditite, Medicham
Solrock, Breloom, Relicanth
Duskull, Wailmer, Snorunt
Numel, Shuppet, Volbeat
Corphish, Azurill, Luvdisc, Carvanha

Buizel, Budew, Shellos
Snover, Stunky, Hippopotas
Burmy, Combee, Cherubi
Chatot, Shieldon, Drifloon

Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle
Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile
Trecko, Torchic, Mudkip
Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup

Ralts, Porygon, Eevee
Phione, Finneon, Feebas
Gible, Larvitar, Dratini
Bagon, Bedlum, Trapinch
Cranidos, Shieldon

Old 09-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #283
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I went to my local Toys R Us today and got my Manaphy. For those of you on the east coast, you still have an hour and a half to do it, if you want (it runs from 12-3). Was pretty painless to do, the wireless on the DS made it super easy (much easier, say, than the Mew was last year). I got close to the cashier and I got a message saying there was a gift available. Said I wanted to receive it, via wireless (not WFC but wireless), and got it no problem. You actually have to go into a PokeMart and talk to the guy in the green suit, he hands it to you, but you get the jist.

/tk
Old 09-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #284
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Anybody else here have Worms: Open Warfare 2? It's quite good (though I can't compare it to the first DS game or in fact any Worms game since maybe Worms 2 on the PC around a decade ago), very customizable, you can draw your own maps with the stylus, lots of weapons to choose from.

From coverage of the recent TGS in Japan, there's some games coming out that I hope eventually get brought over here, including a soccer RPG by Level 5 and a new dodge ball game from the people that made the NES Super Dodgeball game back in the day.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I went to my local Toys R Us today and got my Manaphy. For those of you on the east coast, you still have an hour and a half to do it, if you want (it runs from 12-3). Was pretty painless to do, the wireless on the DS made it super easy (much easier, say, than the Mew was last year). I got close to the cashier and I got a message saying there was a gift available. Said I wanted to receive it, via wireless (not WFC but wireless), and got it no problem. You actually have to go into a PokeMart and talk to the guy in the green suit, he hands it to you, but you get the jist.

/tk

Shit, my daughter would have killed for this, too bad I didn't see it today, and had to work anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #286
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Anybody else here have Worms: Open Warfare 2? It's quite good (though I can't compare it to the first DS game or in fact any Worms game since maybe Worms 2 on the PC around a decade ago), very customizable, you can draw your own maps with the stylus, lots of weapons to choose from.

From coverage of the recent TGS in Japan, there's some games coming out that I hope eventually get brought over here, including a soccer RPG by Level 5 and a new dodge ball game from the people that made the NES Super Dodgeball game back in the day.

That Worms game is on my list to get. I heard it basically fixed all the problems with the first one, and also heard it was good.

/tk
Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #287
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

/tk

Yeah, I went and did it today, too. Kindof got a silly look from the people working there, but whatever.

SI

Old 09-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #288
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Juex France has some info and screenshots of the next Advance Wars game, with the imaginative temporary title of Advance Wars Dual Strike 2. The art style looks quite a bit different than the other games, darker and less cartoony.

On other forums I've read that the game is set in some post-apocalyptic world, the old COs are gone, and that there will be WiFi play.

The last game is my favorite DS game, this one is my most anticipated game on the system, I can't wait.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news22039...-2-au-mgs.html
Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #289
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WiFi play = good
Old CO's gone =
Not sure about a new art style- I liked the old cartoony, deceptively childlike wrapping around a really complex game

It's always been one of my favorite franchises

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-30-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #290
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Oooh Phantom Hourglass comes out this week.
There goes any chance of me finishing up some games I have open before starting something new (I've been holding out on buying Eternal Sonata and Halo 3 for my 360 because of how many games I have right now that I haven't finished and would like to make progress on).

/tk
Old 09-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #291
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I played Phantom Hourglass at EBGames for about 20 minutes last weekend when Erica was doing some sort of clothes shopping or something. It takes a little getting used to- all combat is done with stylus strokes. Not sure how I feel about that yet- I'm playing through Spiderman-3 right now and it's kindof similar- only think fighting game with stylus strokes.

SI

Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #292
MJ4H
Coordinator

OK guys enough Pokemon and Zelda. I just read the preview for NAPOLEON DYNAMITE in Nintendo Power.

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-30-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK guys enough Pokemon and Zelda. I just read the preview for NAPOLEON DYNAMITE in Nintendo Power.

Uh, yeah. So, moving along...

I picked up FF3, Puzzle Quest, Phoenix Wright 2, and Magical Starsign in the past couple of weeks. FF3 was $20 and the others were all under $10. Score

SI

Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #294
MJ4H
Coordinator

Id pick up PW2 for $10 or less. Where did you score that?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Circuit City, same with Magical Starsign. Puzzle Quest was EBGames/Gamestop.

SI

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #296
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Phantom Hourglass anyone?

SI

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #297
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

SI

I'm on the fence about this one.

On one hand I was a newcomer to the Zelda series with Twilight Princess (never tried the SNES game, I skipped N64 and GameCube for PS1, Dreamcast, PS2) which I bought with my Wii in December and didn't like it all that much. There were too many lulls in between the action parts for me and the fetch quests became tiresome. I only got through about half the game. Plus, from now until the end of the year is looking pretty stacked with other games that I want.

On the other hand Phantom Hourglass has been hailed as one of the DS's best games so far with the touch screen controls working brilliantly well, while showing a lot of innovation and supposedly the game plays a lot differently from Twilight Princess. Plus, it's meant to be 15-20 hours rather than 40+ which is more up my alley. I also feel like I should give the series another shot given it's popularity and critical acclaim over the years, plus I've read that people who were lukewarm towards Twilight Princess are enjoying this.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #298
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SI

It's on my list, but I don't know when I'll get it. Actually, I may get it sooner rather than later, but it's hard to say, for a few reasons:
1. I hated Minish Cap. Minish Cap has left a completely bitter taste in my mouth about the Zelda series. Not having a Cube or a Wii, I can't say anything about Twilight Princess (or really any of the Zelda games NOT for GBA or NES or SNES or original Gameboy..i.e anything released on the N64, the Cube, or Wii, I've never played), but Minish Cap really drew my ire.

2. I have a list of games to finish, including: PW2, Final Fantasy Chocobo Tales, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Final Fantasy VI Advance, Final Fantasy XII (PS2), Gurumin (PSP), and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

3. I have a list of games I want including Zelda but also including: Jeanne D'Arc (PSP), Halo 3 (360), and Eternal Sonata (360).

I may go on a buying spree, but I'll have to behave myself and finish the stuff I need to finish before going into more games.

/tk
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #299
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a good reason to wait until Christmas at least

SI

Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #300
MJ4H
Coordinator

Picked up Phantom Hourglass today. Wife hasn't looked up since we got back. I'll post my impressions when I get a chance at it. She's already hooted once and then she had to blow out a fire by blowing into the microphone (I despise that gimmicky crap). However, from what I've seen over her shoulder, it looks quite fun. Definitely a nice looking game.