Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #251
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I'm actually kind of the opposite. I've always vastly preferred light text on a dark background. Seems easier on my eyes.
Yeah, I agree. To me, white backgrounds are like staring into a light bulb.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #252
jbmagic
Pro Starter

would love to see a lock button for the players on the depth chart. so this way the cpu wont change the player when you click on suggest.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #253
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
would love to see a lock button for the players on the depth chart. so this way the cpu wont change the player when you click on suggest.
Concur...
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #254
KWhit
Coordinator

I would like to see some keyboard hotkeys assigned to various functions like the View Stage Details Screen, Email, Team Roster, etc.

I often find it easier to navigate using the keyboard than mouse.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #255
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Yikes. Hopped into Access and opened the file - changed the leagues and divisions around - check - then I opened the teams and saw a plethora of headings that I had no clue what the number relationship was - ie. team colors ect... I just closed it down and decided to wait for smarter guys than me to lead the way.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #256
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
I just closed it down and decided to wait for smarter guys than me to lead the way.

Slowly backs out of thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #257
Anthony
Banned

logos/helmets: just got done with all the colleges that begin with "A". on to the "B's" now. since i don't have any games in my current rotation, making my own images has become my new hobby.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #258
Rich1033
High School Varsity

A couple issues before I have simmed any games.

1) It seems that if a players last name doesnt fit on a screen(I noticed it on my team roster page) it will not show the last name at all.

for example, C. Housmanzaggalllaazing showed up as just C.

2) I had a runtime error when loading an old league that I started. Happened when I was at the depth chart screen and wanted to load the old league to see what the last name that wasnt showing up was.

3) Im not a fan of the way you set the depth chart. Lets say the AI lists a player as the backup SE and flanker and I want him to instead be my starting SE. Maybe Im an idiot but it looks like I cant get rid him being listed twice on the depth chart. Id like to only have him listed once at SE and instead have the old starter listed twice so he can backup both positions.

Also, say I wanted a kick returned that the AI didnt list on my depth chart, how do I add someone that is not there? I must be missing something.

Last edited by Rich1033 : 11-23-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #259
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Dola

I havent read through the whole thread, but has anyone had a chance to see if there are players that play both ways? or if it is even possible.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:27 PM   #260
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
...annnnnnndddddd

Shelved. Ill wait til the glitches are worked out before I fall in love with a school.

Remember: This is a *beta demo*. They haven't even set a release date, and the whole point of releasing this is to catch these bugs; a good decision if you ask me. Falling in love with a school would be a bad, bad idea, as I'm fairly certain there is no hope in hell of using these save games in the final version... if you can even save at all, that is... I haven't tried.

Having said that, my Virginia Cavaliers have an AWESOME freshman RB with truck loads of potential. Can't wait to see how he develops!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:28 PM   #261
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

anyone else notice that on the player card if the text for the "projection" or whatever it is, basically the scouting report, if that's too long it doesn't scroll??

or is that just my computer being weird?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #262
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
anyone else notice that on the player card if the text for the "projection" or whatever it is, basically the scouting report, if that's too long it doesn't scroll??

or is that just my computer being weird?

I noticed the same thing
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #263
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033
3) Im not a fan of the way you set the depth chart. Lets say the AI lists a player as the backup SE and flanker and I want him to instead be my starting SE. Maybe Im an idiot but it looks like I cant get rid him being listed twice on the depth chart. Id like to only have him listed once at SE and instead have the old starter listed twice so he can backup both positions.

Right clicking on the name in the depth chart deletes him.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 AM   #264
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Icy, in your team name pack,it should be TCU Horny Frogs, not Horn Frogs.

ANd thanks so much for the effort you put into this. Greatly appreciated.

Fixed it for you.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 11-24-2005 at 01:10 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:30 AM   #265
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just a few more things I've read in this thread I'd like to agree with in the hope of bringing them to Arlies attention....

Defensive holding penalties are rife. Haven't seen this many in college football over the years.

The depth chart is pretty frustrating. A lock button would make things infinitely better.
Also PLEASE put the players position next to his name, at least for the special teams depth chart. I played a few games with a backup OT on the outside on my kickoff coverage team because he had the same surname as a backup DB.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:33 AM   #266
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Maybe it is just me, since I do not remember seeing this anywhere, but when I try to use a scroll button, it does not scroll- it just goes down a few spots each time I hit the top or bottom scroll bbutton.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 AM   #267
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

I'm having problems installing, it is hanging at:

c:\WINDOWS\Fonts\SF Electrotome Bold Oblique.ttf
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:19 AM   #268
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
I'm having problems installing, it is hanging at:

c:\WINDOWS\Fonts\SF Electrotome Bold Oblique.ttf

That means that another software in your computer is usign that font right now so it can't be overwritten. Close all the software you have open (Internet exporter, email software etc etc), even if running in the brackground, then install again.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:20 AM   #269
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Yeah, I agree. To me, white backgrounds are like staring into a light bulb.

To me too, can't stand a light bakground, hurts my eyes badly with all the bright.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:26 AM   #270
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
To me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
To me too...

FOFC misquotes the Chuckle Brothers...

Last edited by AlexB : 11-24-2005 at 03:27 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #271
Icy
Pro Starter

I have improved my yahoo style logo pack and real database, fixed some bugs, improved images quality and added a few missing or wrong logos.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?p=58522
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=8017
Old 11-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #272
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

It would also be nice to see a player's injury status on the depth chart itself rather than clicking on the player card. Something like 'Smith 3.0/5.0 (Q6)' rather than the current display would make for an easier way to deal with injuries instead of either having the injury e-mail open and going back and forth or clicking on the player card to check a player's status.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #273
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

An in-season academic suspension is not very realistic IMO. You don't see GPA changes during the session. I think academic suspensions should only occur after semester changes. Usually players are declared academically ineligible in the offseason, frequently in the summer.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #274
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
An in-season academic suspension is not very realistic IMO. You don't see GPA changes during the session. I think academic suspensions should only occur after semester changes. Usually players are declared academically ineligible in the offseason, frequently in the summer.

They are also declared ineligible at the end of the Fall semester in early December, just in time for one or two end of season games, conference championship games, and bowls.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #275
Icy
Pro Starter

We discussed about it in one of the first betas and this was the explanation:

From Arlie:

Quote:
In real life, there are two: Prior to the season and prior to the second semester (Dec). I moved it to 4 inseason to add a little more strategy to that aspect and not completely hamper a team in a bowl game.

To me, it wouldn't be all that fun if you started the fall semester with three guys on suspension and nothing you could do until December. Or, if you finished December and lost your starting QB and RB to the national championship game. I'd imagine there would be some complaints then.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #276
Jaguars
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
We discussed about it in one of the first betas and this was the explanation:

From Arlie:

I think it should be as it is in real life. Gives you a reason to recruit better students.
Jaguars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #277
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I hope you guys are enjoying the game. Unfortunately, a runtime error 48 can be difficult to fix, since the error is probably not reproduceable on arlie's machine. And I so wanted to play this one, but it just ain't gonna happen right now...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #278
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The reports overall are good and I can't wait to get some time to really delve into this game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #279
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
In real life, there are two: Prior to the season and prior to the second semester (Dec). I moved it to 4 inseason to add a little more strategy to that aspect and not completely hamper a team in a bowl game.

To me, it wouldn't be all that fun if you started the fall semester with three guys on suspension and nothing you could do until December. Or, if you finished December and lost your starting QB and RB to the national championship game. I'd imagine there would be some complaints then.
Then respectfully, Arlie you got this part of it wrong. And how often do you see a team lose guys IRL. I'm losing 6-7 guys every 3 weeks. IRL I think at the most a team might lose 2 guys at the end of the season. This part of the game is giving me second thoughts.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #280
Jaguars
n00b

Quote:
Then respectfully, Arlie you got this part of it wrong. And how often do you see a team lose guys IRL. I'm losing 6-7 guys every 3 weeks. IRL I think at the most a team might lose 2 guys at the end of the season. This part of the game is giving me second thoughts.

I wouldn't say it's a purchase killer in my opinion, but I certainly don't like it as it is. I am sure they will tweak it some. But there is enough to do without worrying about handing out study hall hours.

IMHO, suspension should be handled as it is IRL.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #281
Icy
Pro Starter

Remember this is a beta demo, there are going to be two ways to avoid that in the final game:

1- A button to set AI to manage the tutor hours.
2- An option to set off academic probation.

As this game is going to be fully customizable, each of us could play it as we want.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #282
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Remember this is a beta demo, there are going to be two ways to avoid that in the final game:

1- A button to set AI to manage the tutor hours.
2- An option to set off academic probation.

As this game is going to be fully customizable, each of us could play it as we want.

that good news

but academic probation needs to be toned down some if you have it on.

also i hope there an injury slider too.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #283
amdaily
College Prospect

As always, the interface makes another GDS game basically unplayable for me...
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #284
Cuckoo
College Starter

I just want to throw my two cents in here and give a big "Kudos" to Arlie and the GDS team. I've been toying around with the demo just a bit, and although there are various minor issues (all of which have been mentioned) that I pretty much agree with, this is a pretty solid game already.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit and will almost certainly buy the full version upon release.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 11-24-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #285
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily

May i ask why?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #286
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily

so you prefer to play the Excel spreadsheet game known as FOF/TCY than something that actually *looks* like a game?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #287
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the interface is ok. The player cards for recruits is very messy and hard to read - that was one thing that jumped out at me. All the screens are a little bit busier in terms of color and detail than I would prefer, but the interface is fine - it's a lot better than that old college basketball game (TDCB or whatever it was called).
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #288
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

There are more clicks than necessary all around, but the only place that appears truly problematic is recruiting. There are way too many extra clicks during that phase. If there is a way to move the "Visit" area into the regular recruiting screens, it would help quite a bit. Also, I can't stand that when I choose not to view non-qualifiers and/or already-committed guys one week, then the next week they come up again and I have to make that same selection every week. It is reminscent of OOTP's non-remembering sorts. {blech}
Old 11-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #289
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
If there is a way to move the "Visit" area into the regular recruiting screens, it would help quite a bit.

amen
Or even just a way to screen out players not on your watch list.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #290
bhlloy
Coordinator

A couple more random thoughts after playing some more this evening:

Further to my post above, either the suggestion button doesn't work or kickoff coverage logic is screwy. The computer is convinced the best two candidates for outside contain are an offensive tackle and a tight end.

Recruiting is fun, but all the good players seem to be gone by the end of the third round. As USC, this meant all my targets were gone less than a third of the way through. I don't think I saw a five star recruit still on the board after round four. This is a) not realistic in the slightest and b) doesn't allow enough time for recruiting "battles" to develop.

Couldn't agree more with what SkyDog is saying. The information in the visit screen has got to be in the main recruiting screen. Or at least be able to sort by interest in your program from the main screen.

EDIT - I love the ATH concept. I missed out on all the good offensive tackles, but I was able to snare a 6'8 280 DE with an athlete notation who's projected to reach 300lbs. He's my big hope for an elite tackle (or would be if I could play past this year anyway )

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-24-2005 at 02:41 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #291
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
A couple more random thoughts after playing some more this evening:

Further to my post above, either the suggestion button doesn't work or kickoff coverage logic is screwy. The computer is convinced the best two candidates for outside contain are an offensive tackle and a tight end.

Recruiting is fun, but all the good players seem to be gone by the end of the third round. As USC, this meant all my targets were gone less than a third of the way through. I don't think I saw a five star recruit still on the board after round four. This is a) not realistic in the slightest and b) doesn't allow enough time for recruiting "battles" to develop.

Couldn't agree more with what SkyDog is saying. The information in the visit screen has got to be in the main recruiting screen. Or at least be able to sort by interest in your program from the main screen.

EDIT - I love the ATH concept. I missed out on all the good offensive tackles, but I was able to snare a 6'8 280 DE with an athlete notation who's projected to reach 300lbs. He's my big hope for an elite tackle (or would be if I could play past this year anyway )

So, players physical attributes such as weight will change over the years that is awesome.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #292
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

For the SEC, there needs to be a "buy player" or "fix grade" option"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #293
jbmagic
Pro Starter

can someone explain this play by play.

Louisiana-Monroe ball, Q1, 1-10-ULM9 (14:40) 0-0
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-SE-slants (short pass)
Defense: Normal, Set: Nickel, Play: Nickel-norm-TMan (normal)
QB W. Bender completes a 6 yard cross to WR P. Peelle (SS R. Polamalu, ILB C. Townsell).

Louisiana-Monroe ball, Q1, 2-9-ULM38 (13:16) 0-0
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Pro Set, Play: PS-HB-curls (short pass)
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Nickel, Play: Nickel-pass-Man-B10 (target pass)
QB W. Bender completes a 9 yard hook to RB M. Stachelski (SS R. Polamalu).

how did the ulm get the ball from the 9 yards on the first seires and next play there on the 38 yard after completing a 6 yard pass?

and how did it become 2 and 9 on the 2nd series when they completed a 6 yard pass on the first series. should the 2nd series be 1st and 4 and not 2nd and 9

and how did the time on the first series go from14:40 on first play to 13:16 on the next play?

Last edited by jbmagic : 11-24-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #294
ahbrady
High School JV

I've enjoyed playing the demo. There are some improvements that can and hopefully will be made, but I'm pleased enough with a new college football game that I'm going to buy it as soon as it's available.

Thanks to Arlie and crew for including my high school in the game. I think it's the first time it's been in a game. I'm assuming because it's a private school. Did you come up with the prestige for the high schools based on how they did last year? I noticed that the state champions from each class in Arkansas had a "high" prestige where the rest had "normal."
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #295
jbmagic
Pro Starter

another example

San Diego State ball, Q1, 3-3-SDSU40 (09:09) 0-7
Offense: Short Pass, Set: I Form, Play: I-SE-curls (short pass)
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-MZ (target pass)
QB C. Boiman completes a 9 yard hook to WR S. Archibald (OOB).

San Diego State ball, Q1, 2-8-ULM49 (08:25) 0-7
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: I Form, Play: I-FL-post-TE-out (med pass)
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: 3-4, Play: 34-pass-Man-B7 (target pass)
QB C. Boiman completes a 2 yard post to WR S. Archibald (ILB C. Caldwell).

it seems to me, that some plays are not getting recorded on the play by play log. that could explain the first example too i did above.

look at the time of possession?

also it should be a first down not 2nd and 8th after completed a 9 yard pass when it was 3rd and 3.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #296
Jaguars
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
For the SEC, there needs to be a "buy player" or "fix grade" option"

Go Gators!
Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #297
st.cronin
General Manager

The play by play really needs to be cleaned up. Spelling mistakes, no spaces between certain words, wrong description for the play, etc.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #298
KWhit
Coordinator

A couple of things:

I'm losing a ton of guys to suspension every year. It doesn't seem realistic to me, and is killing the fun factor a little.

It's been mentioned, but I'll agree that carries for the starting RB are out of whack. I had a couple of games in my 1st season where my star RB got every carry in the game (45+ carries).
Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #299
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
A couple of things:

I'm losing a ton of guys to suspension every year. It doesn't seem realistic to me, and is killing the fun factor a little.

It's been mentioned, but I'll agree that carries for the starting RB are out of whack. I had a couple of games in my 1st season where my star RB got every carry in the game (45+ carries).

well i think when we can turn off the academic side of things that will solve the losing guys to suspension, although I agree that hopefully that'd be a quick-fix for Arlie to tune-down.

as for the carries: I thought we just went through this FOF, and honestly it doesn't bother me. As long as there is a negative effect to it then that's fine, 100% of the carries should mean an absolute 100%. Don't forget that we will have the ability to set starters playing time in the final version, and with that we'll be able to adjust the % of carries for the starting RB. And I personally would much rather have 100% be a hard-and-fast 100%, not a FOF style "most".
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #300
Bee
Pro Starter

Tonight was the first night I had a chance to spend any time with the demo. I played around with it for an hour or two. I agree with those who say the academic suspensions need work. IMO, Arlie may have been trying to add some degree of strategy or something, but only succeeded in making it annoying to me. I'd prefer to play with academic suspensions on since it's part of the game, but with the way it works now...I'll take no suspensions to annoying.

I find there's also a lack of consistency with the interface. The method used to move from one screen to another seems to change depending on where you are. Sometimes you have to click on one of the buttons on the left, sometimes there's a button at the top, sometimes it's a link someplace else you follow to the next item. I think the screens for the most part are well laid out individually, just navigating between them needs to be more uniform IMO. I also looked over a couple game logs and saw some of the bugs others mentioned. I'm sure Arlie will deal with most of those quickly either before release or with the first patch once the game is out.

It's hard to tell long-term playability with a one season demo and I really didn't spend nearly enough time with it, but overall it looks like it has a good deal of potential.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote