Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #251
RendeR
Coordinator

Didn't bother reading the whole thread, but...

Two worst teams I've seen on live TV

EVER.....

I don't see either one staying anywhere near the top 25 this season. Pathetic excuse for football.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #252
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

After watching just about all of this game, I can start to understand why some in the South watch high school football...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:20 PM   #253
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
After watching just about all of this game, I can start to understand why some in the South watch high school football...

Better talent...simple as that...
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #254
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The first reply I read tonight is the one above mine.

Ive read a page or so since, but as night falls on this holiday evening I give you this.

....anyone who had money on this and it WASN'T THE UNDER, should reconsider before placing wagers next week.

that is all.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #255
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What, the over/under wasn't 20?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #256
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Can't we declare both the loser?

I think we can declare ourselves as the loser.. we lost 3+ hours watching this garbage
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #257
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I think we can declare ourselves as the loser.. we lost 3+ hours watching this garbage
I enjoyed the Ole Miss vs. Memphis game more, It just made better sense to mee.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #258
TroyF
Coordinator

Wow. I always have this game put down as a must see. The talent on the field and the playmakers usually make it one of the top ten games of the year, even the ugly ones.

This. . . My God. That was just horrible. The sad thing is CU is going to go into Miami in a few weeks and lose by fifty.

The only thing that made the game worthwhile was coming here and reading this thread. Great job guys.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone

But... but.. then we wouldn't have this thread... and where would we be then?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM   #260
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, did ANYONE find out why that Miami player got ejected? It seems ABC just forgot about that little tidbit.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #261
Franklinnoble
Banned

Yeah, this game sucked. I turned it off in the first quarter. Now I'm really glad I made the right decision.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #262
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
LOL! Nice... they showed a shot of the FSU crowed with a kid wearing "FUCK U" shirt on national TV. That's great!

They showed the game on tape delay here and they did not edit this out. Cool since I was able to see the girl in the cowboy hat.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #263
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
The only thing that made the game worthwhile was coming here and reading this thread. Great job guys.

Agreed. Unlike Miami and FSU, everyone in this thread brought their A game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #264
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Even the local sports guys here called this the ugliest game in series history, and the mantra was basically, hey a win is win, even if it was as ugly as this one.

I also thought it was funny when Lorenzo Booker (who's very well-spoken, btw), at the end of an interview by a local guy, said of the QBs, "At least they didn't make a play that lost the game for us." Leaving those of us watching to fill in the rest, "...yeah, unlike Chris Rix."

Thankfully, we're playing The Citadel at home on Saturday, or else we might be underdogs...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-06-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #265
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It was a rather painful experience to watch. It could very well be that both defenses are that good and both offenses are beyond bad.

The ACC is going to be a defense-first conference this year, it looks like. With a lot of new QBs being broken in, there's going to be a lot of body indentations made behind the line of scrimmage. Hell, I like State's chances now. We've got the defense to compete and the offense actually seems functional now. If we could figure out why in the hell we commit so many damn mistakes at the worst time (always after a 3rd-and-long that was stopped or on special teams or some other stupid thing), we might have a chance. Problems, though. We have to go to BC and FSU. We also have to figure out how to beat Tech, Clemson, Maryland, UNC, and Wake, all in the same year for once.

Right now, VaTech clearly is in the driver seat. They get Miami at home and they're already up one game on them. It'll probably be them winning their division. I'll have to see more from the teams in our division before I can render judgment on who'll face them in Jax. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see our division end up in anarchy with only Wake really not in contention.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 09-06-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #266
Ksyrup

Although I was thrilled with our defensive line, I'm scared to death of our secondary. About 10-14 days ago, Weatherford threw for over 400 yards against the FSU defense in one of the last scrimmages. I know that doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but...400 YARDS!! Either he had the worst case of nerves in the history of college football, or he really has very little touch on the ball and can't check off his first receiver, and it didn't matter against our secondary.

Yikes!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #267
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Thankfully, we're playing The Citadel at home on Saturday, or else we might be underdogs...
Ridiculous matchup.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #268
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Ridiculous matchup.
As most objective people can attest, FSU typically doesn't schedule cupcakes. The last few years, though, we've had to add games at the last minute (college football scheduling-wise, anyway) because of issues that have come up - first, the Auburn fiasco where Auburn pulled out of a contract with FSU after they fired Terry, and now, with Miami becoming an ACC conference opponent, we were left with an open non-conference game, and couldn't find a good team willing to come to FSU on a yearly basis. I'm not sure if The Citadel is a one-time thing and we've scheduled a few cupcakes for the following years, or if they'll be the cupcake of choice until our contracts with other schools kick in. Either way, we're not all that happy about it, either.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-06-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #269
Ksyrup

Looks like next year is affected as well. We play Troy. After that, I understand we're trying to add Alabama for 2007, we've got Colorado for 2007 and 2008, BYU for 2009 and 2010, Oklahoma for 2010 and 2011, and still need to add a non-conference game for each of the next several years in addition to the ones already scheduled.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-06-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #270
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

No worries...my undergrad school was Kansas State, so I certainly understand about cupcake fests.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #271
bronconick
College Starter

Thankfully, this game goes back to a midseason matchup now.

ABC has to be kicking themselves. First they get a game with Brock Berlin and Chris Rix leading the offenses, and then a game where the winning team's defense had more sacks then the offense had completions. At least when this is the 5th game of the season, the defenses won't be lightyears ahead of the offenses. It'll be 20-17, but it'll at least be watchable.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #272
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Thankfully, this game goes back to a midseason matchup now.

ABC has to be kicking themselves. First they get a game with Brock Berlin and Chris Rix leading the offenses, and then a game where the winning team's defense had more sacks then the offense had completions. At least when this is the 5th game of the season, the defenses won't be lightyears ahead of the offenses. It'll be 20-17, but it'll at least be watchable.

Really? I hadn't heard that. I hope it is true, though, because (a) I would rather FSU get a few games under its belt before we play Miami; and (b) I always thought of this game, played on the second weekend of October, as the unofficial date when the weather changed in Tallahassee. Hasn't seemed right since they moved it to Labor Day.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #273
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Really? I hadn't heard that. I hope it is true, though, because (a) I would rather FSU get a few games under its belt before we play Miami; and (b) I always thought of this game, played on the second weekend of October, as the unofficial date when the weather changed in Tallahassee. Hasn't seemed right since they moved it to Labor Day.

I remember reading way back when that this was a two year deal. I'd have to look it up to be certain, but with this being the last year of (ABC's) Monday Night football, you'd think ABC would just skip out on Monday night games completely.

As long as this is the first game of the season, it's going to be brutally ugly to watch. I mean, the October matchups, aside from blowouts weren't high scoring affairs. Add shaky offenses trying to find themselves and defenses that have more then enough talent to cover most screwups (the tight end coverage issue notwithstanding) and you're going to have 13-10 every season.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #274
bronconick
College Starter

dola

hxxp://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-umfsu31aug31,0,6255039.story?coll=sfla-hurricanes

TALLAHASSEE · When ABC, Miami and Florida State agreed three years ago to play a series of nationally televised, season-opening Labor Day games, they envisioned a picture much like the one used in the ad on the back of this week's Sports Illustrated.

There are Miami coach Larry Coker on the right and Florida State coach Bobby Bowden on the left, the two grinning in mid-embrace on the field.

In the background is a stadium packed with fans who presumably can't wait one moment longer for one of the best rivalries to launch this next GREAT COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON.

College Football Kickoff Weekend, the ads read.

The reality, though, is that UM and FSU still will be working out their kinks -- particularly at quarterback -- with all of the college football world watching.

And that scenario has heightened their hesitancy to making this their opener.

The two-year contract expires after Monday night, and talks of rescheduling the game hinge on the wishes of the Atlantic Coast Conference and ABC, which next year will lose its Monday night NFL contract to ESPN.

Were it up to the two in the ad, the game would move a few weeks into the season.

"I got a feeling that's what's probably going to happen next year," Bowden said. "But again, on Labor Day, you can ask Southern Cal, you can ask Georgia, you can ask Texas, `Would you like to play the Monday night game?' Oh, yeah, yeah, give me that thing.'

"We're tired of each other right now, though."

The Seminoles may have tired more of Miami than the Hurricanes have of them, UM taking a six-game winning streak into Tallahassee next week. But Coker has said he isn't in favor of keeping the game on Labor Day, particularly with Miami breaking in a new quarterback in Kyle Wright.

"We don't have any preseason games or exhibitions like the NFL. ... You're going to go out and test the water against an outstanding football team in a game that can mean so much to your season," Coker said.

Loren Matthews, ABC's senior vice president for programming, anticipated that concern when he set out four years ago to snag a marquee opener.

"I got a whole lot more nos than I got yeses," he said. "But that's understandable. From the schools' standpoint, the downside is playing a difficult opponent that early."

An important part of Matthews' pitch was that an opener would allow enough time for the loser to recover on the road to a national championship.

The Monday night experiment was spoiled last season by Hurricane Frances. When the matchup was moved to Friday night, it still rated as ABC's second most-watched game, behind Notre Dame-USC on Thanksgiving.

Because they have yet to see how successful the game can be in that Labor Day venue, FSU Athletic Director Dave Hart said, all of the parties have agreed not to discuss next season until after Monday night.

Both athletic directors pointed out that FSU and UM weren't in the same conference when Matthews first approached the schools.

"When we were in two different conferences, it was ideal [playing in the opener]," Miami Athletic Director Paul Dee said.

"The dynamics are different than when Loren Matthews first came to Tallahassee to talk to me some three years ago," Hart said. "Obviously we need to have the conversation around the existing circumstances and not the circumstances that were present at the time deal was first reached."

He thought those talks would move forward in September.

"We have to reassess that whole situation," Matthews said. "Things have changed from the network side, too, because we won't have Monday Night Football."

As for the players, one of those fresh-faced quarterbacks who could ease into the season a lot easier against The Citadel said he prefers playing Miami in the opener.

"I think it's a great thing for college football," FSU's Drew Weatherford said. "Preparing for Miami can help us prepare for everybody."

Last edited by bronconick : 09-06-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #275
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Mainly, the game was put on Labor Day to mark the fact that Miami and FSU were the colossuses of the new ACC and they wanted a marquee matchup to kick things off. I also think the ACC and the two schools wanted to move the game because if one team lost early, it didn't eliminate them from the ACC and national title pictures. Before, since they were in separate conferences, it was advantageous to play later because it served as an elimination game between the expected ACC and Big East champs for who would be possibly in the BCS title game. Now, with both schools in the same conference, the ACC wanted to maximize the chance that both could be tabbed for the BCS.

After how the last two years have played out for both Miami and FSU, I would not be surprised to see the game move back in the calendar, but I suspect ABC will push hard to have a major conference tilt (either the ACC or elsewhere) to cap the opening weekend, since the NFL has ceded Labor Day weekend to the college game.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #276
Ksyrup

With the two division winners squaring off in the ACC championship game, it really doesn't matter all that much when the loss happens anymore. If that's the only loss in the division, you can atone by winning the championship, something that until now was impossible.