Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #251
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Why are you quoting me on that? I'm merely shooting down the ridiculous notion that 70 exports are needed in an FOF MP season.

Isnt that how many you will run as commish?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #252
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Screw exports - I want a game where I simply put up a server and everyone simply logs into and makes the changes. At the very least they need to build the export feature into the game and have it send the file directly to the server.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #253
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Isnt that how many you will run as commish?

Okay, we're miscommunicationg a little bit and it's probably partially my fault. You guys seem to think that FOF is doing something wrong in that 70 (or how many) exports are needed.

Well, how exactly would you have designed a game when it came to making week-to-week roster changes? How exactly does one sign a replacement player for that left guard that is listed as being doubtful for the next week's game?

Also we should separate "stages" from "exports" (or "sims").
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #254
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
And at the same time if you're playing as Central Florida you're going to be more interested n recruiting than gameplanning for Florida State.

Not what I would do. If I am the "lesser" school, I would gameplan for the upset. Who knows maybe it'll even affect recruiting.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #255
Arles
Grey Dog Software

A couple things. First, there will be a total of 47 "weeks" in a full season (not all may require file sends though, depending on the league setup). And each season will have three main "stages" - Camp, season, offseason. Here's a high level view (with the idea that things may change):

Camp
- week 1 - Set budget
- week 2 - set off/def philosophy
- weeks 3-5 - schedule requests for non-conf opponents
- week 6 - set redshirts and initial depth chart

***This should go pretty quick with weeks 1, 2 and 6 being fairly simple tasks. Weeks 3-5 are more setting up requests and seeing if you get the game.

season
- weeks 1 - 15 - weekly games (with most teams having 4-5 BYEs)
- weeks 16 - conf championships for those involves
- weeks 17-21 - playoffs or bowl games

***Most teams will play only 11-12 total games in the above 21 weeks. If you have a conf champ game and/or go the playoff route you could end up playing a few more. You will have to monitor some things, but most of the actions will involve on-the-field changes.

Offseason
- Week 1 - option to change jobs (if other offers given)
- weeks 2-4 - three week stage to change your staff
- weeks 5-9 - 5 week college transfer bid process
- weeks 10-19 - 10 week recruiting action process
- week 20 - set player training for the offseason

So, you can look at the minimum case being a 5-6 season in the Pac-10 - where you don't bring in any transfer players and stay at your current job with the same staff. You have 6 weeks in camp to send files to the commish, 11 season games to send files, 10 weeks of recruiting to send files and one final training allocation. That would be 28 total "file sends" to do a season if you had weekly changes during the season and used all three stages to schedule.

The worst would be around 40 total file sends in a given season - and that would if you participated in every week of the offseason, switched jobs, used all the weeks for scheduling and played in the playoffs and won the champ.

If I merged the recruiting in season, the range would change from 28-40 and go to 18-30. But each file send would involve some level of recruiting and be a much more complex process. As it stands now, outside of the 10 weeks of recruiting and 11-15 games you play, much of the work is minimal before sending in a file. Plus, I would expect many teams use the "auto" function for coach bidding, transfers and some weeks in recruiting once they have all their players. And, again, there will be an easy way for a commish to slide a team to be "auto-managed" at any stage in the game.

I don't think this process will be overly complex. Again, assuming a commish never doubles up on simming weeks, the entire process of simming a season would take 47 instances. If you did a sim Tues-Thurs-Sat, it would take you about three "real" months to sim a full year in BBCF. If you grouped some similar things together, you could probably get away with a full season in two months of real time. I would think that's on par with other similar games. Plus, there is no one week that will require numerous activities that hurt turnout and are often the reason for missed or extended sim periods.

Last edited by Arles : 04-08-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #256
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Arlie looks great.

will you have an ftp export button to send the team file to the commish?

Like ootp has.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #257
FBPro
College Starter

Sweet, can't wait. Hope that there is a "deeper PC recruiting" option. HATE TCY's recruiting options......doing it myself is boring as ...., letting the computer do it sux since you have ZERO input.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #258
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Arlie looks great.

will you have an ftp export button to send the team file to the commish?

Like ootp has.

thanks
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but when I get closer I will let you guys know how that process will work.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #259
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Okay, we're miscommunicationg a little bit and it's probably partially my fault. You guys seem to think that FOF is doing something wrong in that 70 (or how many) exports are needed.
Other than one or two people, I don't get that impression that was what was going on. I brought up FOF2K4 in response to someone posting the notion that BBCF has too many stages. Obviously, FOF2K4's multiplayer works for people, so there's no reason whatsoever to think that BBCF has too many. My contention is that as it stands now, there will be too many "boring" stages. Even at three stages per real-time week, there'd be a week on UGA's schedule of doing nothing but gameplanning for Louisiana-Monroe, Mississippi State, and an off week. Very different than gameplanning for games that I might actually have a legitimate chance of losing.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #260
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Even at three stages per real-time week, there'd be a week on UGA's schedule of doing nothing but gameplanning for Louisiana-Monroe, Mississippi State, and an off week. Very different than gameplanning for games that I might actually have a legitimate chance of losing.
I guess I see that for some gamers. But for most I would think that the actual playing of games (even blowouts against poor-boys) would be very interesting - if only to see how some of your young guys do in mop-up time (BB will have logic to sub "strings" on blowouts). Most of the people I have talked to like the idea of focusing on winning games more during the season (ie, monitoring the success-rate of certain plays, gameplan settings, formations and depth charts) and being able to shift their focus completely to recruiting after the games are done. I understand not everyone will love this change, but there also a lot of people that dread the micromanagement and sheer time required to sim a week in the season with recruiting involved there. So, in the end I went with the method I felt would work better.

Also, the entire difference here is splitting out 10 weeks of recruiting and moving it to the offseason to allow a better flow of simming during the season. This amounts to maybe another 3 weeks of real time before a season can be completed. Even if your league is a "slow simming" league, you can still get 4+ seasons completed in one calender year.

Last edited by Arles : 04-08-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #261
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Most of the people I have talked to like the idea of focusing on winning games more during the season (ie, monitoring the success-rate of certain plays, gameplan settings, formations and depth charts) and being able to shift their focus completely to recruiting after the games are done.
Oh, I don't disagree with that all. It gets back to my original "fixed it for ya" statement. It is clear from the responses in this thread and at Grey Dog that most people either don't understand or don't care that a college football coaching staff spends much more time on recruiting than on preparing for and playing 12 games.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-08-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #262
Dutch
"Dutch"

Splitting recruiting out of the regular season is a good thing in my mind. I look forward to it.

Now, the question I have for Arles, is if it's a seperate mini-game, could you interlace it with the regular season, to appeal to the opposition? (make it an option at the beginning of a career/MP league start)

Last edited by Dutch : 04-08-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #263
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Most of the people I have talked to like the idea of focusing on winning games more during the season (ie, monitoring the success-rate of certain plays)

exactly. i want to see if my playbook is working or not after each sim. this adds more time to my total export time. i want to see what plays work, which result in the biggest gains, so that when i play the big dogs i know what playbook gives me the best chance of winning.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #264
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So after all of this, it comes to those that are Compartmentalists and those that are not?

It also appears that we are debating just for the sake of debating. I see the proposed schedule for this game being similar to that of FBCB...and that is a good thing. Whether that works in MP or not, I don't know.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #265
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
Screw exports - I want a game where I simply put up a server and everyone simply logs into and makes the changes. At the very least they need to build the export feature into the game and have it send the file directly to the server.

I agree.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #266
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I agree.

me too, good point
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #267
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Camp
- week 1 - Set budget
- week 2 - set off/def philosophy
- weeks 3-5 - schedule requests for non-conf opponents

This actually illustrates the point I was trying to make Arles - these tasks could be combined into one "week" and thus all included in a single export to make the "offseason" have less stages, thus improving multiplayer without adversely affecting the single player experience. The above tasks do not need to be done serially, since the results of one are not needed to perform the others. Doing them in parallel would greatly improve multiplayer. In fact, doing as many things as possible in parallel would greatly improve multiplayer.

I hope you are taking all of these comments in the spirit they are intended. I realize you need to make the game you are happy with and proud of, and I am not trying to attack your methodology. You seem to be soliciting suggestions/feedback, and I feel 100% safe in saying that the #1 complaint from multiplayer sim leagues is how long the seasons take. You seem committed to the "recruiting not in season" concept - but I assure you, if you find SOME WAY to reduce the total numer of stages (or required exports) that comprise a season, you'll make everyone's favorite MP game.

It seems to me that college football has somewhat of an advantage over pro for multiplayer though. The draft, when done anyway but an unsatisfying preference export, is a bottleneck in most leagues. That, and having no mechanism for making roster moves in season seem lend themselves to a season somewhat more streamlined than the pros (at least for multiplayer).
Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #268
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Samdari, you make some great points but I would have to disagree on condensing those weeks into one step. The first two, most definitely but personally, I love the scheduling process and can envision this being an interesting dimension in MP. Think about bartering for choice games (and their potential revenues) - balancing with SoS vs easy win strategies. It may not need 3 weeks but 2 minimally. (By the way, isn't TCY like 10 weeks in this process?). To continue, I could see week 6 combined into week 1 and 2 but haven't thought through on that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #269
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Samdari, you make some great points but I would have to disagree on condensing those weeks into one step. The first two, most definitely but personally, I love the scheduling process and can envision this being an interesting dimension in MP. Think about bartering for choice games (and their potential revenues) - balancing with SoS vs easy win strategies. It may not need 3 weeks but 2 minimally. (By the way, isn't TCY like 10 weeks in this process?). To continue, I could see week 6 combined into week 1 and 2 but haven't thought through on that.

I believe what he was saying was that in week 1 of the offseason you could easily set the budget, set off/def philosophy, set redshirts and initial depth chart, AND do your first week of the scheduling. Of course you would still have more weeks of scheduling, but that is several less exports right there.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #270
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I believe what he was saying was that in week 1 of the offseason you could easily set the budget, set off/def philosophy, set redshirts and initial depth chart, AND do your first week of the scheduling. Of course you would still have more weeks of scheduling, but that is several less exports right there.

If that is what he is saying then I agree with it.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #271
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
Now this is a good idea. Although, I would probably split it into exports for:

budget/phil/redshirts/depth
Schedule 1
Schedule 2
Schedule 3

The reason being that you may want to know your opponent's off/def philosophy before trying to schedule them. If you have a crappy set of corners, you are probably not going to want to face a vertical passing offense with a great set of receivers if you can help it.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #272
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Now this is a good idea. Although, I would probably split it into exports for:

budget/phil/redshirts/depth
Schedule 1
Schedule 2
Schedule 3

or how about
budget / schedule 1
philosophy / schedule 2
redshirt & depth / schedule 3

That way, you make the most of each stage and cut your original number of exports required by half, without actually losing anything.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #273
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
or how about
budget / schedule 1
philosophy / schedule 2
redshirt & depth / schedule 3

That way, you make the most of each stage and cut your original number of exports required by half, without actually losing anything.

FFF,

Read Arles last paragraph again.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #274
sabotai
General Manager

To be honest, I don't know how well I would like recruiting all in the offseason. I'd have to play the demo first. But the thing that jumps out to me is that non-conf. scheduling is only 3 stages and staff hiring is only 3 stages. FOF has it set so that staff hiring is only 3 stages, and it's giving some of the leagues I'm in major headaches. It's just not long enough. I'd think about upping the number of staff hiring stages and the non-conf. stages just to be safe.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #275
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Remember, in MP, the commish will have the ability to override schedules. The reason it is only three stages is to prevent people from "wasting" requests (ie, being Rutgers and seeing if USC will come play you). If you only have three chances to fill your schedule spots, you will probably me more judicious with who you ask. Plus, if it's an MP league, chances are owners will talk with each other before requesting games to save time/frustration.

As to the coaches, that may be something I look at but I would rather do the three rounds for now and allow the commish the ability to change after. That way, if people want more rounds they can ask the commish to extend the process but not every league is forced to go through 5 weeks of coaching changes. Remember, in college, assist coach turnover is not all that high.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #276
sabotai
General Manager

So what you're saying is that the difference is the commish in an MP league will have the ability to extend stages? If it's set to 3 stages in the game, the commish will have the ability to manually extend it a few stages to accommodate?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #277
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
So what you're saying is that the difference is the commish in an MP league will have the ability to extend stages? If it's set to 3 stages in the game, the commish will have the ability to manually extend it a few stages to accommodate?
In a way, basically the commish can "replace" coaches through a league editor. So, if he wanted to have the normal 3-week process and then allow a fourth "last chance week", he could simply reassign or edit the coaches through his league editor after getting the fourth week of requests. The assistant coaches phase is not designed to be a "free agency" for coaches. It's more geared towards replacing coaches that move on to lead other programs or retire. If you look at most head coaches in college, rarely do you see them simply drop a guy that's worked under them and replace that guy with someone else.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #278
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Arles

is the main focus for this new college football for multiplay only?

i hope its focus on solo play and multiplay. i love playing both ways.

i would love for solo play to be challenging and the AI smart. will there be different diffcult levels?

thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #279
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Arles

is the main focus for this new college football for multiplay only?
Not at all, the focus is on both single players and leagues. My hope is just to make the league process a little more user friendly than other games I have made.

Quote:
i would love for solo play to be challenging and the AI smart.
I was tempted to make a really dumb AI for shits and giggles, but I desided against it

Seriously, though, my goal is to have a tough AI and make the game both fun and challenging to play.

Quote:
will there be different diffcult levels?
The beauty of college football is that you have such a diverse set of programs to choose from, there are "difficulty levels" built in the game. Want a challenge, take Baylor or Rutgers. Want to learn the game and just get your feet wet? Try USC or Oklahoma.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #280
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Oh, I don't disagree with that all. It gets back to my original "fixed it for ya" statement. It is clear from the responses in this thread and at Grey Dog that most people either don't understand or don't care that a college football coaching staff spends much more time on recruiting than on preparing for and playing 12 games.

To me the difference is that I'm willing to sacrifice realism for fun. I play games to relax.. not to work. It's not that I don't care or don't know, I just want to have fun... and in my case I think (and we won't know until we try it) that it will actually be more fun to have them split.. even if it's not completely realistic. You make it sound like those who are willing or would prefer to have it split are foolish "weenies", but maybe we have tried it the more "realistic" way (in TCY) and didn't find it as much fun as we hoped and are willing to sacrifice complete realism, in favor of fun. (Everyone of course, has different definitions of what makes a game fun, and ultimately everyone will have to make their own decision on whether or not to give Bowl Bound a chance) I know in real life the coaching staff has to divide it's attention... but I'm not a college football coach, I'm playing a game and trying to have relax, and for me I think (I won't know until it's released) that Arlie's solution might just work better; and I'm certainly willing to give it a chance. (While I want the experience of being a college football coach it doesn't mean I need ALL of their stress, I get enough of that at work)

In TCY I find myself having to find my notes from what I did last week before I went from recruiting to game prep, take a bit of time analyzing my notes to get back up to speed and then figure out how to proceed, before I can even get back to the game. I hate the constant start and stop and shifting of gears, makes me feel like I'm back at Raytheon trying to juggle the Aerosol Module and System Level EDR Interdependency Report again.

I want to spend more time watching the game and coaching my team during the season. At the same time I want to spend the time to pour over the recruits stats, the information available and even to look for players, just on a lark, from my old high school, or the school/town(s) I've coached in. It's just easier for me to focus on one task or another at the time. If recruiting and the in game stuff are done right they will be enjoyable enough and deep enough on their own merits to keep me busy, rather then my having to divide my time to keep myself busy, even if my upcoming schedule features Louisiana-Monroe and Mississippi State (of course if it's not I can always try to schedule someone other then ULM ).

I find that with them both together in TCY I'm so anxious to get back to the game that I find myself rushing through recruiting more then I'd like. Or in a rebuilding year, I find myself so anxious to check on my recruits that I don't have the time I want to pour over the stats and figure out how I can juggle things to maximize my chances for success. Overall, I find myself short changing parts of the game that I really want to give more time... but the choice is to maybe get through one or two games a night or to short change some areas (unfortunately normally recruiting) so that I can proceed more quickly.

As I said before no one will really know if this approach works until the game comes out. Ultimately some people will probably like it much better, others will hate it. But that's the part of the reason to have competing products, to offer a variety. To some people TCY's approach is going to be perfect... to others Bowl Bound's might be.. ultimately with the competition and the new, different ideas, I believe that all of us Text Sim and College Football fans are going to benefit; and most importantly college football text sim fans will have a choice of games to decide which one will fit their needs best.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #281
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
To me the difference is that I'm willing to sacrifice realism for fun. I play games to relax.. not to work. It's not that I don't care or don't know, I just want to have fun... and in my case I think (and we won't know until we try it) that it will actually be more fun to have them split.. even if it's not completely realistic.
And therein lies the difference, when it is split (or even not year-round, as is the problem with TCY), I know in the back of my mind I'm going to be continually sitting there thinking "This isn't right." It bugs me in TCY and FBCB that no one de-commits, for example.

Quote:
In TCY I find myself having to find my notes from what I did last week before I went from recruiting to game prep, take a bit of time analyzing my notes to get back up to speed and then figure out how to proceed, before I can even get back to the game. I hate the constant start and stop and shifting of gears, makes me feel like I'm back at Raytheon trying to juggle the Aerosol Module and System Level EDR Interdependency Report again.
Heh, that's interesting. Probably a difference in how we think, then. I'm usualy carrying around 8 different basically unrelated projects from my work in my head, and a handful of text sim careers. Heck, I played four months of FBCB while I was playing 4 months of BBM this morning. Switching between the two is pretty seamless for me, because the other one never really leaves.

Quote:
But that's the part of the reason to have competing products, to offer a variety. To some people TCY's approach is going to be perfect... to others Bowl Bound's might be.. ultimately with the competition and the new, different ideas, I believe that all of us Text Sim and College Football fans are going to benefit; and most importantly college football text sim fans will have a choice of games to decide which one will fit their needs best.
Well, my personal fear is that TCY2 will eventually have them separated out too, since so many people seem to want it that way, and then those of us who prefer realism get the shaft.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #282
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:

Here's a suggestion: Have the redshirt thing in week 6 just be a "plan to redshirt" option, so that will keep the player off of the field. For those who sim or have bench players come in for blowouts.

For example. a true FR or true SO or whatever you may have may be your second string QB. You probably want this guy to RS, and you'll only want him to play if your starter goes down to injury. That being said, you'll want him available...just in case.

In the NCAA, the redshirts aren't requested/granted until after the season, so I think it would be nice to have the option of NOT redshirting a player, but if he ends up not playing...RSing him.

Does this make sense?

Sidenote: In this regard, we should also be able to apply for RS for players who get hurt in one of the first few games of the year (I believe you can apply for one so long as you don't play in more than 25% of your teams games, and were "injured" in one of those first games). Someone may know the exact rule...

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by rexallllsc : 04-09-2005 at 05:32 PM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #283
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I agree with rexallsc... the redshirt marker should not be binding... it should just force the AI not to use the guy, unless the redshirt is taken off.

Similarly like in TCY guys who don't play at all during the season, should be redshirted automatically.

(Overall I think TCY handled redshirts very well)
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #284
Ben E Lou

What rexall and ScottVib said.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #285
DeToxRox
Head Coach

To SD

I think it's better off to do recruiting in the off-season because unlike real College Football where there is an entire coaching staff, you just have yourself doing it all in the game. I don't want to have to spend a half hour or more getting ready for one game with recruiting and everything. This is my opinion and I know where you're coming from, but a lot of people don't have the patience to get that in depth and feel burn out before they even play a game.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #286
rexallllsc
Banned

I can live with recruiting being in the off-season, but the reason I would like it DURING is because you could go so much more in-depth (and of course, this could be honed in later versions...).

Some possibilities and ideas:
-Kids will come in for official visits on game weekends:
-you might not want to bring in your two top QB recruits in the same weekend, though!
-You can bring in your biggest recruits for the rivalry game, and try and sway the kid with a win over the rival in front of a packed house...but be careful that you don't wait too late in the season, because he commit early.
-Use a bowl berth (and victory) while swaying a recruit who is taking you all the way to February 5th (signing day)

Crap like that. I think it would be awesome to be playing a big game with a key recruit in attendance.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #287
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
I can live with recruiting being in the off-season, but the reason I would like it DURING is because you could go so much more in-depth (and of course, this could be honed in later versions...).

Some possibilities and ideas:
-Kids will come in for official visits on game weekends:
-you might not want to bring in your two top QB recruits in the same weekend, though!
-You can bring in your biggest recruits for the rivalry game, and try and sway the kid with a win over the rival in front of a packed house...but be careful that you don't wait too late in the season, because he commit early.
-Use a bowl berth (and victory) while swaying a recruit who is taking you all the way to February 5th (signing day)

Crap like that. I think it would be awesome to be playing a big game with a key recruit in attendance.

I think playing off Skydogs idea would be great, and give you the best of both worlds. Split recruiting between before and after the season, with some minor updates during the season (like players visits, and maybe allow a few calls). Of course, that might be tough to program, but that would be even more realistic than TCY.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #288
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly. I hate that part of TCY. I've played a bunch of TCY and I hate the recruiting part of it... well, the fact that it takes away from the games.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #289
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
The beauty of college football is that you have such a diverse set of programs to choose from, there are "difficulty levels" built in the game. Want a challenge, take Baylor or Rutgers. Want to learn the game and just get your feet wet? Try USC or Oklahoma.

How about Indiana? I think that would be considered "a hard" on difficulty. BTW, will your job in the game take into account the amount of fans that are being dran to a game? Will there be a factor such a fan discontent or media discontent that will be a factor in firing or hiring the user as a coach? Cause that would be awesome.

Also will the user have to work their way up from the beginning of the game from a bad program to a good program or are they able to select whoever they'd like from the outset?
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #290
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Here's a suggestion: Have the redshirt thing in week 6 just be a "plan to redshirt" option, so that will keep the player off of the field. For those who sim or have bench players come in for blowouts.

For example. a true FR or true SO or whatever you may have may be your second string QB. You probably want this guy to RS, and you'll only want him to play if your starter goes down to injury. That being said, you'll want him available...just in case.

In the NCAA, the redshirts aren't requested/granted until after the season, so I think it would be nice to have the option of NOT redshirting a player, but if he ends up not playing...RSing him.

Does this make sense?
Here's how the RS process works. You set "redshirt players" in the camp stage. This causes the AI not to use them nor let you insert them by accident during the season. If you have a rash of injuries at the position or want to use this player, there is an option to "remove redshirt" on the roster page. This would then remove the player from that protection and allow you to play him (but also have the season count against his 4). And if you keep the player on a RS all season, he gains the year of eligibility once you go into the offseason.

You will not, however, be able to redshirt a player once you leave camp. I think this fixes your concern.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #291
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm worried about this "College transfer bid process" It sounds like something quinn snyder would do to get players to transfer to missouri

Or is it just a simple yes/no to allowing a player to transfer?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #292
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I'm worried about this "College transfer bid process" It sounds like something quinn snyder would do to get players to transfer to missouri

Or is it just a simple yes/no to allowing a player to transfer?

Hey...loose Quinn.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #293
jbmagic
Pro Starter

just saw this on web site.
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/

Grey Dog Software is pleased to announce our Developer's chat with Arlie Rahn, the creator of Bowl Bound College Football. The Chat will be held on April 14th at 9:00PM EST in #GDS on the Stratics IRC servers. This is your chance to ask questions directly to the developer of BB!

You will need to download an IRC client (mIRC, pirch, or another IRC client) and then connect to irc.stratics.com or, alternatively, to one of the following servers:

irc.stratics.com USA
stratics.afraidyet.net USA - Atlanta
stratics.frws.com USA - Colorado
irc.glowfish.de EU - Germany
irc.epaxsys.net USA - Colorado

Once you are connected, you can join the #GDS channel by typing /join #GDS

For more information on how to get connected using mIRC, please visit http://chat.stratics.com. You will find a Quick connect guide at http://chat.stratics.com/content/com...ickconnect.php.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Last edited by jbmagic : 04-11-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #294
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
just saw this on web site.
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/

Grey Dog Software is pleased to announce our Developer's chat with Arlie Rahn, the creator of Bowl Bound College Football. The Chat will be held on April 14th at 9:00PM EST in #GDS on the Stratics IRC servers. This is your chance to ask questions directly to the developer of BB!

You will need to download an IRC client (mIRC, pirch, or another IRC client) and then connect to irc.stratics.com or, alternatively, to one of the following servers:

irc.stratics.com USA
stratics.afraidyet.net USA - Atlanta
stratics.frws.com USA - Colorado
irc.glowfish.de EU - Germany
irc.epaxsys.net USA - Colorado

Once you are connected, you can join the #GDS channel by typing /join #GDS

For more information on how to get connected using mIRC, please visit http://chat.stratics.com. You will find a Quick connect guide at http://chat.stratics.com/content/com...ickconnect.php.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Nice catch. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #295
maximus
Banned

I hope a transcript will be posted because I am not sure if I will be able to make it.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #296
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I hope a transcript will be posted because I am not sure if I will be able to make it.

I'm sure someone will make a transcript available. Hell, I plan on being there, maybe I can do something about one (if I'm not late).
Old 04-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #297
Danny
Head Coach

Like our other chats, there will be an official chat log posted on the Grey Dog site. As an example http://www.greydogsoftware.com/news.php?id=159
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #298
Emiliano
College Prospect

New screenshots!!!

Recruit
Postseason
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #299
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Have the ability to pres a button and create a randomized history. It just adds more to gameplay and the overall experience.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #300
Swaggs
Coordinator

Even though I really don't care about the 2D or 3D engine or any real graphical display of the games, I really like that the players have pictures. Is that wrong?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote