Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #251
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Once you get into the playoffs you can jack up your prices quite a bit higher, sell out as long as it isnt too high and that's when you start to make a profit. In my 25k staidum during my run to the World Series at the end I had 18 million in the bank. I don't know if it was just my game or what but I was also able to get away with jacking up my concession and store prices. I just upgraded my seats to outfield, and wondering what other goodies I want to add. "Note this is with the Nationals so my payroll is pretty low, my highest paid player is making 1.2 million."
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #252
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Once you get into the playoffs you can jack up your prices quite a bit higher, sell out as long as it isnt too high and that's when you start to make a profit. In my 25k staidum during my run to the World Series at the end I had 18 million in the bank. I don't know if it was just my game or what but I was also able to get away with jacking up my concession and store prices. I just upgraded my seats to outfield, and wondering what other goodies I want to add. "Note this is with the Nationals so my payroll is pretty low, my highest paid player is making 1.2 million."

What is your total expenses for the team for the year. For the Phillies it is over 125 million with staff, players, etc.

Right now my team is only estimated to make 117 million dollars which would leave us 8 million in the red. I'm hoping for a deep playoff run to help that out. If we look like we are fading around the trade deadline, I'll have to consider dumping salary.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #253
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just when I think I have the pitching down, I lose 12-3. I love this game!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #254
samifan24
Pro Starter

In Owner mode, you create your own ballpark, then field an actual MLB team? In Dynasty mode, you use the real ballpark? Is that it? Could I use Jacobs Field in my Owner career if I wanted to, or am I restricted to using a created park?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #255
sooner333
College Starter

You set the park, consessions, attractions, etc. and the goal is to make money and balance the checkbook while winning to attract fans. Dynasty your goal is winning with a set budget (rather than a budget based on how your finances actually are).

You can switch your ballpark prior to the game in owner mode, but I don't know the ramifications of that.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #256
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Started my first dynasty late last night (way too late as I was playing until 2:30am - ugh). Pro setting, and my team is the Orioles. Lost the first 3 games of the year to the A's by a combined score of 4-0. Ugh, my offense stinks.

After the A's debacle, I traveled to Yankee Stadium and scored my first runs (ever - ha!). However, we ended up losing, 5-4, via a walk-off homerun by Gary Sheffield (dang it!). Still a lot of fun - though I'm beginning to become concerned that I'm starting to "master" pitching (only gave up 9 runs in 4 games) while my offensive skills drag hopelessly behind. I'm hoping that I won't have to up it to All-Star level so my pitchers don't look like Walter Johnson while my batters look like Kiko Garcia.

Oh, and I hit my first homerun ever - a 2-run shot by Miguel Tejada off of Tom Gordon. Was very exhilirating, but shortlived as we still lost.

I'm trying to take the first pitch with my hitters, but I'm still having trouble trying to ascertain whether a pitch is going to be a strike or not. Balls on either side of the plate are easier to see, but high or low (from the 6/1 view) is just impossible. I think I drew 2 or 3 walks in my first 4 games.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #257
henry296
College Starter

Craig,

As for pitching, if you haven't already turn off the strike zone, turn off the pitch cursor or at least change it to fade and some people are even turning off vibration. This makes it more difficult to determine your spot for pitching.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #258
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Oh. Duh. I've been playing with strike zone on and no fade.
how do you know?

Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Once you start hitting, I would move up to All-Star. The pitching just seems much better, imo. Hey, you have 162 games to learn to hit.

Just lost 12-2 to the Astros, but I could have scored 2-4 more runs.. not that it would have mattered.

Todd
Old 03-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #260
CraigSca
Pro Starter

How is the pitching different in All-Star? Is the yellow area you aim for in follow-through smaller? Right now it's small enough on Pro
how do you know?

Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #261
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
How is the pitching different in All-Star? Is the yellow area you aim for in follow-through smaller? Right now it's small enough on Pro

Not sure about the yellow area, although I'm sure the meter goes a tad slower and the CPU hitters don't take advantage of mistakes as much. I'd like to hit on Pro and pitch on AS.

Todd
Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 PM   #262
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure about pitching on pro, but as I was thinking about it yesterday, I'm realizing that pitching was getting too easy on the AS level. I'm going to turn off the strike zone and the pitching cursor (but I will leave vibration on.. I need some feedback.) Looking forward to playing a game or three today after work.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #263
sooner333
College Starter

Do you guys leave on hot and cold zones or take them off with the strike zone?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #264
Calis
College Starter

Woohoo, just one my first playoff game in my Royals Fantasy Roster dynasty. Was all tied up 1-1 through 10, and then my boy Bako, who I might add just happened to be the AL Rookie of the Year takes one yard for the win.

This guy is a beast, only 19-20 I think, and poor stats, but he's doing wonderful, batting over .300 and knocking in about 28 homers for the season. Few years he'll be a real beast.

Vlad also got the league MVP for my team.

Still having a blast, even though Chan Ho Park is the Ace of my staff.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #265
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I thought AS pitching was getting hard, but after the Stros scored 12 on me last night, I think it's fine.

I use the 6/1 view (behind the pitcher), k zone off, hot/cold z off, vibration off, and cursor on fade.

I might turn the k zone and h/c zones on when I'm batting.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-03-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #266
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Would hot/cold zones work from a batting point of view? I barely have enough time to determine whether it's a strike or not, let alone concentrate on whether the ball is entering my hot zone.

Wow...that sounded overtly sexual
how do you know?

Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #267
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would hot/cold zones work from a batting point of view? I barely have enough time to determine whether it's a strike or not, let alone concentrate on whether the ball is entering my hot zone.

Wow...that sounded overtly sexual

Well, for me.. I think it would help me. If it's not in that hot zone, I'm not swinging.

Todd
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #268
kmbgolf
n00b

check out mvpmods.com for good sliders and other downloads
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #269
Calis
College Starter

Heh, just thought this was funny.

Moved on to the ALCS and was playing the first game against Tampa Bay who have Bonds, Snow, some other nasty hitters I can't remember and Odalis Perez as their ace who is coming off a Cy Young award.

First game I've played where I COMPLETELY dominated. Odalis gave up 6 runs in the 1st in, then 2 more in the 2nd. He was shortly pulled, but it didn't stop there as we went on to put up 6 more runs in the next two innings. Vlad ended up 4-5 for me with 2 Homers and 7 RBI's. Chan Ho Park had a 3 hitter through 7, before I pulled him from fatigue. Two of those hits were given up to Bonds though, who can give a person a migraine trying to pitch to.

The even better news came from Bonds 2nd hit, Snow batted after him and got a base hit, and Bonds slid into 2nd hitting my 2nd baseman Junior Spivey HARD and injuring himself. Didn't check to see how long he's gone for sure.

So I figured from this outing that it was too easy, I needed to up the difficulty. But I decided to try one more game, and what happened? I lost 6-1.
I blame it all on this fat tub CC Sabitha. My 2nd best pitcher, but I swear the guy gives up a minimum of 5 runs in 4 innings every time I use him.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #270
RainRaven
High School JV

I started up a dynasty career with my hometown orioles and proceeded to lose my first 4 games due to my terrible batting. The fifth game is the second game of a series againist the yankees on the road. I had Bruce Chen on the mound and I actually got out to a 2-0 lead early on with a Gibbons double scoring two. The eighth inning rolls around and I have Kline and Julio warming up in case Chen runs into trouble. Well trouble arrives in the form of a solo shot. Time to pull Chen of course but i screw up and instead of going to the bullpen i hit the A button on accident.. I panic.. completely throw a horrible pitch that get's smashed for another homer. Alright 2-2 not the worse thing in the world. I bring in Steve Kline to face the next batter. 1-1 count... I throw a fastball hard and inside..... back back back... gone. Back to back to back shots kill my morale. My last gasp in the 9th goes down to a double play and that's all she wrote. While I lost the game it was the most exciting baseball game on any system I think I have ever played because it just seemed so realistic for a change.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #271
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm saying this right now. I have not had this much fun with a baseball (graphical) game since High Heat 2000 (liked the other versions, but 2000 was played to death).

After 30 games, I'm still wanting to play this game every chance I get. MVP 2005 (Xbox) is a masterpiece. You can tell EA put a lot of work and testing into this game. MVP 2004 was a decent game, but they really added a ton of small things that make 2005 a complete baseball experience for me.

All Star default has been so perfect for me. I just beat Houston 4-2 with Mulder and 7-4 behind a Scott Rolen 3 run bomb in the 7th inning off of Pettite. After 30 total games, I'm still different hits, different plays, great AI, etc...

A homerun is a rush, pitching to Berkman is nerve racking - facing Clemens scares me - a series against the Brewers brings relief even though they've beaten me twice. The game brings out lots of emotion.

That last game has me on a high, I scored 7 runs!!

Hitting tip: Unless you're looking for HR or a deep fly ball, just pressing A will give you a great chance for a hit. I've stopped moving the R thumbstick unless I need a big blast. I've hit homers, doubles, singles, etc.. just by swinging the bat. Contact is the key here. Hit the start button after you miss a pitch to see what you did, it helps.

(hey Sack, sorry I missed ya.. my wife told me she talked to you tonight, I wasn't asleep.. ok maybe I dozed.. we'll hook up tomorrow I'm home all night - AIM me - then prepare to take that Dodger team against my Cardinals)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-04-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #272
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Larry Walker and my man Albert Pujols make Andy Pettitte look STOOPID. Ding dong! Pujols calling! (approximately 1.5 meg file)
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #273
sooner333
College Starter

So, basically what is in store for next year's version of this game, since there will be no teams or players at the major league level???
Old 03-04-2005, 01:14 AM   #274
SackAttack
Head Coach

Good question. They'll either go fully customizable, or take the awesomeness of MVP 2005 and convert the engine to a college baseball game, I think. Actually, I could see them doing this, having a few years with the market to themselves in college baseball to finetune the product, and then getting the MLB license back in a few years when it's up for renewal again and having both a college and pro baseball game, much like they do in football.

Or...maybe the long-awaited Mutant League Baseball!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #275
henry296
College Starter

I need some help with baserunning. The manual isn't very clear on how to control just one guy. I am using XBox. Here is the situation. Runner on first and a single to right and I want to go first to third. Do I hit the Y button to control the lead runner and then use the trigger or do I need to hold both at the same time. How about hitting just the trigger, but then use B to make the batter go back to first with the right triffer. It seems I am always having both runners do the same thing and get them both thrown out. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd
Old 03-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #276
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
I need some help with baserunning. The manual isn't very clear on how to control just one guy. I am using XBox. Here is the situation. Runner on first and a single to right and I want to go first to third. Do I hit the Y button to control the lead runner and then use the trigger or do I need to hold both at the same time. How about hitting just the trigger, but then use B to make the batter go back to first with the right triffer. It seems I am always having both runners do the same thing and get them both thrown out. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

The D-pad controls the lead runner, if you want to control someone else, you have to hit the button that corresponds to the pip at the top right. The triggers are for ALL runners. Left one to send all, right one to send back.

Runner on first, single to right. I immediately press the D-pad to the left (towards third base) which makes the runner go past second and onto third. Hope this helps. I don't mess with the triggers as the CPU will control the rest of the runners just fine. All I care about is the lead runner.

Hope this is understandable.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-04-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #277
henry296
College Starter

Thanks other Todd. I was always using the triggers and don't the D-Pad. Wouldn't you press left to go to third?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #278
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Thanks other Todd. I was always using the triggers and don't the D-Pad. Wouldn't you press left to go to third?

Yes, I meant to the left. Sheeesh.. sorry about that.

Don't forget to slide R thumbstick when needed. You can also railroad the catcher by pressing up on the R ts.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-04-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #279
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yes, I meant to the left. Sheeesh.. sorry about that.

Don't forget to slide R thumbstick when needed. You can also railroad the catcher by pressing up on the R ts.

Todd

Hey Todd,

Quick question in regards to your Fielding Assisted by CPU: Do the R thumbstick moves work while the AI fields the balls? (Sliding catch, etc..etc..?)
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #280
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Hey Todd,

Quick question in regards to your Fielding Assisted by CPU: Do the R thumbstick moves work while the AI fields the balls? (Sliding catch, etc..etc..?)

Slides work, but the fielding doesn't except for throwing.

Todd
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #281
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I have a question about the background music. Is it possible to use your own music (XBox version) while playing in the game (like how you could use your own music in GTA)? And if so, has anyone done it?
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #282
SackAttack
Head Coach

Negative. Can't do it.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #283
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Negative. Can't do it.

But you'll wish you could.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #284
CraigSca
Pro Starter

My hitting is still anemic, but my pitching woes were solved turning off the strike zone and the pitching cursor. I pitch ok, but no longer am I painting the corners.

Gary Sheffield is a flippin' monster
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #285
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
My hitting is still anemic, but my pitching woes were solved turning off the strike zone and the pitching cursor. I pitch ok, but no longer am I painting the corners.

Gary Sheffield is a flippin' monster

I can't pitch (every mistake is at least a double) and I definately can't hit. Worst thing is that I'm only on Pro.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #286
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm on pro as well. Hitting for me in the game is more difficult for me than RL golf. However, it's much more fun
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #287
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dunno if anybody else has noticed this - I didn't recall seeing it in the thread - but it turns out you can actually compare players. You know how if you hit the Y button while highlighting a player, it brings up his "baseball card" where you can cycle through different ratings and statistical screens? Well, tap to the right while that screen is open, and press Y while highlighting a bench player, and it will bring up a second such overlay, allowing you to flip back and forth between them and compare various ratings, stats, scouting reports, etc.

Very cool.

I've been doing this manually which has been a pain. Thank you for this very helpful tip.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #288
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dunno if anybody else has noticed this - I didn't recall seeing it in the thread - but it turns out you can actually compare players. You know how if you hit the Y button while highlighting a player, it brings up his "baseball card" where you can cycle through different ratings and statistical screens? Well, tap to the right while that screen is open, and press Y while highlighting a bench player, and it will bring up a second such overlay, allowing you to flip back and forth between them and compare various ratings, stats, scouting reports, etc.

Very cool.

Nice. Thanks!!

FWIW, I like the music in the game.

Todd
Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #289
SackAttack
Head Coach

Very cool.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Darn time stamp. Glad I didn't start over. That makes the choice easy for me to keep going with this career. I was thinking that since the first tip was to buy concession stands that I had probably made the right call.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #291
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

I started my new owner mode (kept the old save file though) and it turns out you need $4 million to build that 2nd level, while you only start with $2m. That's a downer. I guess that means I'd need to either severely trim payroll to try and make money early on, or else just keep on truckin' and hope attendance picks up. So much for my grand plan.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #292
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Why can't I beat the Brewers?!?!?

Todd
Old 03-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #293
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Oh, please don't say that. I'm about to play a two-game set against the Brewers, and now I'm scared.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #294
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Oh, please don't say that. I'm about to play a two-game set against the Brewers, and now I'm scared.

I'm now 0-4 against the Brewers. They know how to play "small ball" and it shows. I swear the managers act just like their counterparts in this game. Teams with hitters will hit, teams with speed will run, it's really fun seeing each game unfold. I'm telling you each game is different for me. Well, back to the mound to face the Brewers once again. I might be out of a job real soon.

Todd
Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #295
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just made my greatest defensive play ever. Video coming momentarily.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #296
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, here it is. Two outs, bases empty, and I'm beating the Brewers 1-0 in the third inning. Geoff Jenkins is at the plate, and Jason Marquis serves him a big fat one. Roger Cedeno bails me out in left.

The entire play
The climax in slow motion

How can I not love this game? Now I have to get back to the game to bat in my half of the third.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #297
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:

Todd

The Brewers are an unstoppable superpower...

and the Cardinals stink...
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #298
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Baseball sucks.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #299
FBPro
College Starter

Which version are most of you guys playing?

PC
PS2
Xbox
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #300
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

XBox over here.