Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since we're on the product placement sidebar anyway, I still think one of the groundbreakers in the past few years had to be Law & Order having visual product placement (Coke IIRC) in the first run episodes & the network repeats but then digitally editing them out for syndication. Sort of the TV model of dynamic ads in video games, where you get a certain amount of time for an ad & then it's gone as opposed to staying in perpetuity like the Pez dispenser Seinfeld mentioned earlier.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #252
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone watched today's? I liked it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #253
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh man, that ending had me in stitches
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #254
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Very solid episode. One of the best Jim and Dwight episodes ever.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #255
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't know why, but the part where Pam threw Mounds at everyone had me cracking up.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #256
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Creed's 3 dollar bill was excellent. Then him calling Andy Jim, and Andy's reaction was awesome.

Andy has become my favorite character on this show. He has had a Michael evolution, where he's been hysterical, but an asshole, and now you just root for the guy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #257
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I thought Andy losing the client, was hilarious. Another show would have let her give him a shot - in this case, not only wasn't she interested, but she took the account away as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #258
RainMaker
General Manager

Creed is my favorite character on the show by far. The funniest part of the episode for me was a subtle moment when Michael is on the PA system and talking about "looking out the window during the flight" and Creed looks out the window thoroughly confused. Almost as good as last week's "What's a text?".

I was really down about this season till the last 2 episodes. They look to be back on track.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #259
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Creed's 3 dollar bill was excellent. Then him calling Andy Jim, and Andy's reaction was awesome.

Andy has become my favorite character on this show. He has had a Michael evolution, where he's been hysterical, but an asshole, and now you just root for the guy.

The three dollar bill was great.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #260
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh, I'd like to contribute then!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #261
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Check out 1:49
Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #262
Danny
Head Coach

That really is him too.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #263
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have been pretty happy with the Office this season. The last few episodes have had some laugh out loud moments. I've really been enjoying it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #264
MrBug708
Head Coach

Meh
Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #265
Danny
Head Coach

Today's episode wasn't great.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #266
RainMaker
General Manager

Today's episode was horrible, especially compared to the last couple that have been great.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #267
Swaggs
Coordinator

This one was set up very well by the first half (last week), but really did not deliver. Michael's breakdown and Pam's "presentation" were cringe-worthy (which is often the key to the humor on the Office, IMO), but that whole story line was pretty unfunny. The Office interactions (Angela's cats, the birthday party) were average.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The last episode was a bit of a let down. The whole Angela licking the cat/coughing up a hairball was just a bit too far to be funny amd the Michael stuff was a bit too cringe-worthy to be enjoyable.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #269
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The last episode was a bit of a let down. The whole Angela licking the cat/coughing up a hairball was just a bit too far to be funny...

Yeah, they took it too far. You can blame Mindy Kaling since she wrote the episode. I tend to like the episodes that Paul Lieberstein (Toby) writes more because he tones Michael down to a more reasonable level.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #270
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I really liked today's episode. Just the Pam and Jim expression once they figured out what had happened - awesome.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #271
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I was only half paying attention but wasn't the lady they turned away from the party the lady with the ink glove from the blood donation trailer?

If not I didn't follow that joke.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #272
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I was only half paying attention but wasn't the lady they turned away from the party the lady with the ink glove from the blood donation trailer?
Yes.

Michael to Dwight: "You didn't deserve her."

Again, Creed steals the show with his theft of the blood bag.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #273
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

If not I didn't follow that joke.

That is what I thought, but my wife said no. Is that not who Michael was looking for? The best parts of the episode was when Phyllis came back and drunk all the water and when Kevin asked the girl if she was on email.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #274
RainMaker
General Manager

It had a few moments but wasn't a great episode. Especially coming off a few of their funnier episodes.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #275
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I just caught up on Thursday's episode. Kind of messed up.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #276
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was funny in some parts. Michael dressed up like Willy Wonka was great.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #277
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I thought it was funny in some parts. Michael dressed up like Willy Wonka was great.

It had its moments but I wanted more of the Kevin story I think. Michael as a butthead isn't my favorite Michael.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #278
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
It had its moments but I wanted more of the Kevin story I think. Michael as a butthead isn't my favorite Michael.

/tk

I'm not much for Kevin... I did like how Jim stuck up for Dwight though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #279
RainMaker
General Manager

It was OK. My problem with the show is they go overboard with Michael way too much. The show has a ton of great minor characters that they rarely use because they focus everything on Michael. A little less Michael and a little more minor characters would make the show much better.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #280
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It was OK. My problem with the show is they go overboard with Michael way too much. The show has a ton of great minor characters that they rarely use because they focus everything on Michael. A little less Michael and a little more minor characters would make the show much better.

It depends on who wrote the script. I read somewhere that when Paul Lieberstein, who also plays Toby, writes for the show, Michael tends to be more normal. When Mindy Kaling, who plays Kelly and wrote last week's episode, or BJ Novak, who plays Ryan, write, Michael tends to be an extreme caricature.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #281
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think that's been my opinion of this show from the second season (when I started watching) on... I hate when Michael is written to be a huge idiot that does things no normal person would do. A bit is OK, but too much ruins entire episodes for me. I think it's been pretty good lately though overall.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #282
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the Wonka was too strange for Michael. It seems right in character for him actually.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #283
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I totally agree that the worse episodes are when there's too much Michael and he goes overboard and is simply an extreme caricature. He can actually be a very sympathetic and great character when handled properly.

That said, I didn't think the Willy Wonka thing was overboard either. I actually thought that the episode was hillarious. It did show Michael's darker side, he's always had that in him a bit.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #284
samifan24
Pro Starter

There are many times when I watch the show and say "ok, Michael would've been fired for that." Last night's episode I couldn't stop saying that. I like the fact that David Wallace gives Michael a lot of leeway because he's such a good salesman deep down but thought the new guy would've canned Michael on the spot numerous times last night. There's a necessary suspension of disbelief in watching this show and then there's just ridiculous over-the-top writing like last night's episode.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #285
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
There are many times when I watch the show and say "ok, Michael would've been fired for that." Last night's episode I couldn't stop saying that. I like the fact that David Wallace gives Michael a lot of leeway because he's such a good salesman deep down but thought the new guy would've canned Michael on the spot numerous times last night. There's a necessary suspension of disbelief in watching this show and then there's just ridiculous over-the-top writing like last night's episode.

I think it has to do with the new guy doesn't appear to have the authority to fire Michael. And as you mentioned, David Wallace deep down knows Michael is a great salesman, no matter how crazy he is. But you're right, sometimes they go overboard with Michael.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #286
DanGarion
Coordinator

Most of this season, I've felt like I've been watching a train wreck. I haven't really liked this season that much because of Michael.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #287
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah they've repeatedly stated that the Scranton branch significantly outperforms the others, so it would probably take something close to fraud for them to cut their highest performer in tough economic times, as they showed last night.

Doesn't mean we have to see all the overboard stuff of course.

Stringer Bell! Get on with it motherfu-!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #288
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Most of this season, I've felt like I've been watching a train wreck. I haven't really liked this season that much because of Michael.

This season has been pretty bad comparatively speaking. I think they are just honestly running out of ideas. There's no "juice" to this season, but maybe that's changing.

I think this is a show that can get by without a major plot which the season abides to, but you still have to have some sort of common theme for the season.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #289
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
This season has been pretty bad comparatively speaking. I think they are just honestly running out of ideas. There's no "juice" to this season, but maybe that's changing.

I think this is a show that can get by without a major plot which the season abides to, but you still have to have some sort of common theme for the season.

If they would just focus on the other characters other then Michael it would be better...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #290
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I like how Jim had to squirm a bit in this episode.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #291
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

I found this season to be much better than last.

I'd rank them: 2 - 3 - 1 - 5 - 4.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #292
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I found this season to be much better than last.

I'd rank them: 2 - 3 - 1 - 5 - 4.

I agree with your rankings. I do think last season was the worst. Like most shows, seasons 2 and 3 are really the "glory days". It's a time where we're still learning about the characters and their unique traits.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #293
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hmm, I have to say that I thought season 4 had some really strong episodes ("Money", "The Deposition", and "Chair Model" for example), and made some major progress with character development for each of the characters. Too bad it was cut short by the strike.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #294
RainMaker
General Manager

This season has been hit or miss but I really like the new twist they added to the show. Was getting a bit redundant and it should give some characters some new storylines.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #295
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Prince Paper out of business. Great callback.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #296
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nothing makes me happier then Stringer Bell making Jim feel like a little bitch.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #297
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like Jim squirming and being uncomfortable - it reminds us that he's got his flaws too, and is too much of a wiseass. I imagine most of us see ourselves more as the Jim's of the world than Andy/Kevin/Dwight/Michael, but who knows?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #298
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I think Kevin is actually one of the most "relatable" characters. Who here doesn't know a Kevin?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #299
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I relate more to Stanley. I'd rather be more like Creed, but I think I'm more like Stanley.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #300
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This season has been hit or miss but I really like the new twist they added to the show. Was getting a bit redundant and it should give some characters some new storylines.

Saleswoman Pam!!

Pam always has been someone who wanted to do more and has probably been the nicest person on the show to Michael (aside from Holly)