Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #251
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You think YOU'RE shocked ...

This whole day has been a giant conflict of emotions.
This morning I watched my hs play for the state title against a team that has a future clemson RB who dominated.

Now tonight I feel like I need FSU to win for the financials implications to CU and the entire acc but honestly pulling for either of these teams is akin to choosing between bin laden and Hussein
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #252
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I will say this, Meyer is taking one epic dump on the Big Ten's credibility.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #253
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Did Oregon take a dump on Pac 12 credibility last night?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #254
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Did Oregon take a dump on Pac 12 credibility last night?

This is more lopsided and with a 3rd string QB. If Wisconsin is the 3rd best team in the conference, now compare that to other conferences.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #255
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to see what OSU gets back when they trade one of their QBs.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #256
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Love the decision to go for it. Hate the play call of a pass.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #257
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I almost feel sorry for Braxton Miller. Almost.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Love the decision to go for it. Hate the play call of a pass.

Hated the decision because, frankly, our defense is playing as well as than the offense in the 2nd half

And it's why i cringed at the extension, we're looking at a buyout or six more years of that sort of insanity.

I could strangle that obnoxious fuckwit right about now.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nothing short of a Miracle can save 'em now.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #260
bob
College Starter

I really didn't understand the extension, it's not like anyone else was about to hire him away. And if they did, no tech fans I know would have cared a bit. Complete over reaction to a win over uga that they gave us and a 10 win season against an entire schedule of teams that were replacing their starting qbs this year.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I really didn't understand the extension, it's not like anyone else was about to hire him away. And if they did, no tech fans I know would have cared a bit. Complete over reaction to a win over uga that they gave us and a 10 win season against an entire schedule of teams that were replacing their starting qbs this year.

Zero adult leadership for a number of years on North Ave, horrid from the top down.

Tonight is a mixed bag tbh. We don't belong on the field with 'em, yet somehow (I attribute it to a surprising amount of heart) we've been there. But there's zero chance I believe coaching has a damned thing to do with it, it's in spite of this bunch.

So, hey, we can beat UGAg once or twice a decade for the next 6 years, should get at least one more win before I die.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #262
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Zero adult leadership for a number of years on North Ave, horrid from the top down.

Tonight is a mixed bag tbh. We don't belong on the field with 'em, yet somehow (I attribute it to a surprising amount of heart) we've been there. But there's zero chance I believe coaching has a damned thing to do with it, it's in spite of this bunch.

So, hey, we can beat UGAg once or twice a decade for the next 6 years, should get at least one more win before I die.

LOL. Only you could be this miserable over a 10 win season.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #263
kingfc22
Head Coach

Make this interesting Tech! Recover this kick.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
LOL. Only you could be this miserable over a 10 win season.

Only one of those wins meant a thing. Three I guess, beating Clemson & Miami is always nice. The rest? Glorified high schools afaic.

Winnng 10, against this schedule? Not a big deal afaic.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #265
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Hated the decision because, frankly, our defense is playing as well as than the offense in the 2nd half

And it's why i cringed at the extension, we're looking at a buyout or six more years of that sort of insanity.

I could strangle that obnoxious fuckwit right about now.
After the opening punt FSU had scored on 6 straight possessions. Only difference in the 2nd half was the D was holding them to FG's - but down 6 a FG against after a long drive would have been just as bad as a TD.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After the opening punt FSU had scored on 6 straight possessions. Only difference in the 2nd half was the D was holding them to FG's - but down 6 a FG against after a long drive would have been just as bad as a TD.

And the offense scored on the first three and then got 7 points in the next 2 qtrs of time basically. I trusted the defense (or an FSU turnover) to come up there more than a 4th & 6 conversion.

{shrug}
Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #267
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

LMAO, yes PJ is a horrible coach and 10 wins means nothing. Hell, he only won 10 twice, which is the same number every other coach combined has won in the last 60 years at Tech.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #268
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

My 4:

1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) FSU
4) Ohio State

Sorry TCU and Baylor, but I think the Big 12 needs to add a couple teams and actually have a conference championship.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #269
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
My 4:

1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) FSU
4) Ohio State

Sorry TCU and Baylor, but I think the Big 12 needs to add a couple teams and actually have a conference championship.

Agree...and wow, great matchups!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #270
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Every FSU win this season feels like a kick to the nuts.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #271
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I'll take all the 1 loss teams and compare who you lost to then rank them.

1) FSU
2) TCU
3) Oregon
4) Alabama
5) Baylor
6) Ohio State

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #272
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
LMAO, yes PJ is a horrible coach and 10 wins means nothing. Hell, he only won 10 twice, which is the same number every other coach combined has won in the last 60 years at Tech.

Kind of makes me wonder what expectations GT fans have. There are a lot of schools who would be ecstatic with 10 wins in a season.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #273
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
My 4:

1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) FSU
4) Ohio State

Yeah, I think there are going to be quite a few in this camp with you and Jon (I mean, there's been talk about it all day). Wouldn't surprise me at all, and I can't say I'd be all that outraged about it. Sucks for them, but someone is getting left out in the cold no matter how you slice it. I actually applaud an analysis that is more than "drop loser, slide everyone else up one."

I do think it damns the Big 12 for the lack of a championship game. Can't wait for more conference musical chairs!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #274
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, the whole "co-conference champions" doesn't help them any .
Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #275
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, I think there are going to be quite a few in this camp with you and Jon (I mean, there's been talk about it all day). Wouldn't surprise me at all, and I can't say I'd be all that outraged about it. Sucks for them, but someone is getting left out in the cold no matter how you slice it. I actually applaud an analysis that is more than "drop loser, slide everyone else up one."

I do think it damns the Big 12 for the lack of a championship game. Can't wait for more conference musical chairs!

Ohio State's loss to V-Tech is unforgivable, IMO, to be considered playoff worthy. That is a horrible loss for a team that wants to claim a title. No offense to V-Tech fans.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #276
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Totally agree and maybe this is an Air Force Alum talking here with the MOuntain west part of the non Big 5 but they should bump TCU and put OSU in BUT next year make it a Big 4 and a non Big 6 conferences adding the Big Ten as this game is just proof that the BigTen is like the WAC one maybe two teams with 80% of the talent each season.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #277
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Rumors have Big 12 inviting Memphis and Cincinnati around March Madness time. I assume that means Louisville is holding out for an SEC slot and for whatever reason the Big12 decided that expanding in to Florida isn't worth it.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #278
Suicane75
Coordinator

Right now, Ohio State is one of the best 4 teams in the country. I don't expect them to get in though.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #279
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Ohio State's loss to V-Tech is unforgivable, IMO, to be considered playoff worthy. That is a horrible loss for a team that wants to claim a title. No offense to V-Tech fans.

If you're trying to pick the best 4 teams right now, should you give that much weight to the second game of the season in September? Considering they were playing without their Heisman candidate QB? I hope the Committee doesn't.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #280
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If you're trying to pick the best 4 teams right now, should you give that much weight to the second game of the season in September? Considering they were playing without their Heisman candidate QB? I hope the Committee doesn't.

Of course you should take it into account. There are only 11 or 12 games to judge a team on. It is a very small sample size, so you better count each one.

You want to look at common opponents instead? TCU beat Minnesota by multiple touchdowns. OSU beat them by 1 (touchdown).

Strength of schedule? TCU takes that over OSU as well. The only argument OSU has is that it can blow out other over-rated Big10 teams and hope nobody remembers they lost to V-tech.

Last edited by Marmel : 12-06-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #281
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rumors have Big 12 inviting Memphis and Cincinnati around March Madness time. I assume that means Louisville is holding out for an SEC slot and for whatever reason the Big12 decided that expanding in to Florida isn't worth it.

The 12 teams would definitely help them out by giving them a conference championship game. I was thinking they should look at the CUSA Conference Championship Game and snag both LA Tech and Marshall, but Memphis and Cincy are fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Agreed. Ohio State deserves the spot.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #282
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It is really about OSU vs. the Big 12. You can't put OSU in and leave FSU out when OSU lost to a 6-6 team without their QB and FSU beat a ranked team without theirs. I tend to lean towards teams with more raw talent and OSU is going to beat both TCU and Baylor in that regard. You can't convince me those teams have a better coaching staff. I think it is 'Bama, Oregon, FSU, and OSU. Anything else will be disappointing. I wouldn't want to play TCU or Baylor, but I think OSU has a "screw you" gear that those two teams don't.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-06-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #283
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The 12 teams would definitely help them out by giving them a conference championship game. I was thinking they should look at the CUSA Conference Championship Game and snag both LA Tech and Marshall, but Memphis and Cincy are fine as well.

I'm not much of a fan of either Memphis or Cincy joining the Big 12 although Cincy would be my preferred choice of the 2. None of the CUSA schools deserve a thought. Marshall has no baseball stadium, a terrible basketball arena, very few donors, and WVU limits their potential fan growth. There's a reason the AAC didn't give Marshall even a passing thought. When Tulane is more appealing than you are you know you have major issues.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #284
bhlloy
Coordinator

If the Big 12 gets shut out, they have nobody to blame but themselves. And you can bet they will have that conference game in place by next year if that happens.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #285
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Big 12 should add Northern Illinois. I'm not kidding. They have a solid football program and get some rub in Chicago.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #286
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Big 12 should add Northern Illinois. I'm not kidding. They have a solid football program and get some rub in Chicago.
I'm for this.

Maybe then Toledo would win the MAC.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #287
Butter
Coordinator

I would LOVE to see OSU-Bama, but if OSU is left out, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #288
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I have no inside knowledge here, but just a thought.
Johnson's existing contract negotiated by formed AD Radakolokekakovickichict (I think I got the right combo in there somewhere) had his trademark stupid buy out to fire a coach.

Is it possible the extension allowed them to reduce the buyout impact?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #289
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm not much of a fan of either Memphis or Cincy joining the Big 12 although Cincy would be my preferred choice of the 2. None of the CUSA schools deserve a thought. Marshall has no baseball stadium, a terrible basketball arena, very few donors, and WVU limits their potential fan growth. There's a reason the AAC didn't give Marshall even a passing thought. When Tulane is more appealing than you are you know you have major issues.

Not sure if its just blind faith or if there is smoke, but one of the allures of SMU to new coach Chad Morris is he strongly believes (and was sold this and convinced by someone) that SMU is the next team that will be added to the Big 12.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #290
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Only one of those wins meant a thing. Three I guess, beating Clemson & Miami is always nice. The rest? Glorified high schools afaic.

Winnng 10, against this schedule? Not a big deal afaic.

I think this is at the heart of our conference argument.
You can't allow yourself to imagine that GT is actually good this year.

CPJ is one of the best play callers in football at any level.
He is a smug asshole and it negatively affects his recruiting. But he is proving he doesnt need much talent to be successful
Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #291
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'd go,

1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State

Are we even talking about TCU if they hadn't hung 82 on Texas Tech?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #292
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
GT can't stop FSU and eventually their run heavy offense won't keep up.

Missouri's four plays that did anything were scramble/bomb plays. I'm pretty sure 'Bama could have still outscored that.

2 point win and OSU blows out #13. They need to go to 6 and the top two teams have a bye.

That was the Alabama weakness, bombs.. I still think 14-3 halftime is much different than 21-3. Oh well, we had to play a near perfect game to beat Bama, most teams do as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #293
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'd go,

1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State

Are we even talking about TCU if they hadn't hung 82 on Texas Tech?

Can't argue with this either.. going to be interesting today for sure and I feel bad for whomever doesn't make it but deserves a shot.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How can you tell TCU, who will likely get bounced if anyone does, that they went from 3rd to 5th despite wining by 52 points? That IMO is a busted system. Now if you want to argue they don't belong there in the first place, well OK then, that's a separate argument all together.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #295
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

First, it's kind of cool to be arguing over who is the 4th best team instead of the second best team. Last season, Oregon would have been left in the cold, and that's a shame.

Second, my rankings:

(1) Alabama--Think that they had the best season in college football.

(2) Oregon--Could be number 1, but I'm giving the nod to Alabama based on the strength of the SEC West.

(3) Fla St.--Undefeated defending national champs.

(4) Baylor--One of my friends went to Baylor, and he's a huge Baylor fan. (This seems like as good a criteria as any to distinguish among the final three teams. In fact, if I taught a rhetoric/argument/debate class, I think that I would use the Baylor/TCU/Ohio State question as a perfectly balanced assignment for the class.).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #296
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal will play at N Dakota State next week but it wasn't easy for NDST-they only won by a FG. Liberty's run ends in Villanova where they lose by 7.

Yep it's a rematch. I think it's clear that this years NDSU team isn't quite the same quality of the last one, but a new QB and coach have still managed to take the team this far, and that's a big deal. I feel like there is much more pressure on the team this year as the attention and expectations have jacked up after 3 titles.

I didn't get to watch the game but given that it was a last second TD to go ahead I thinking if we were playing in Brookings that we'd have lost that game. Home field has been a huge advantage for us.

Looking at what's left of the bracket:

FCS Playoffs - Quarterfinal Matchups (Games Played Dec. 12-13
Matchup Location
No. 1 New Hampshire vs. No. 8 Chattanooga Cowell Stadium (Durham, NH)
No. 4 Eastern Washington vs. No. 5 Illinois State Roos Field (Cheney, WA)
No. 2 North Dakota State vs. No. 7 Coastal Carolina Fargodome (Fargo, ND)
No. 6 Villanova vs. Sam Houston State Villanova Stadium (Villanova, PA)

E Washington is going to have a tough game in Illinois St. Illinois St was a co share of the MVFC title with NDSU (they didn't play each other), so it'll be a big test for the quality of the MVFC as well (only 1 team lost a non-conference game all year. That continued as Illinois St knocked off my dark horse favorite UNI).

The trip through the bracket just got a lot easier for NDSU or Coastal though as Jacksonville St the #3 seed was knocked off by Sam Houston St. They travel to Villanova next week. I think either NDSU or Coastal could beat either of those teams and book the trip to Texas for the final. I've also got my money on either Eastern W or Illinois St being able to knock off New Hampshire as the other team in the Final.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-07-2014 at 09:15 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #297
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

My choices:

Florida State
Ohio State
Baylor
TCU

No PAC TWAT teams. Ever.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #298
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think this year would be a great year for 8 teams.

You would have in no particular order

Alabama
Oregon
FSU
TCU
Baylor
tOSU
Miss State
and whomever you want at 8, Arizona, Georgia Tech, MSU, or an at large like Marshall.

Hell 6 teams with the top 2 getting byes would be pretty sweet this year.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
My choices:

Florida State
Ohio State
Baylor
TCU

No PAC TWAT teams. Ever.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #300
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
First, it's kind of cool to be arguing over who is the 4th best team instead of the second best team. Last season, Oregon would have been left in the cold, and that's a shame.

Maybe...I think a case could be made after yesterday that OSU and FSU either could be among the Top2 and there is a high % chance that 1 of those gets left out.