Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #251
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

A shutout for the Kentucky defense! Suck it, Louisville!
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
A shutout for the Kentucky defense! Suck it, Louisville!

Then again, it looks like the defense outscored the offense, so I'm not sure how much celebrating I'd be doing just yet. A win is a win, especially over a rival, but this might not be the best harbinger of things to come either.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #253
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Then again, it looks like the defense outscored the offense, so I'm not sure how much celebrating I'd be doing just yet. A win is a win, especially over a rival, but this might not be the best harbinger of things to come either.
Oh, I'm definitely concerned about the offense. However, we were breaking in a QB with a total of 6 pass attempts before today against perhaps our biggest rival. With three creampuffs coming up, I'm hoping things will be moving a bit smoother by the time SEC play starts. I'm also very happy with what the defense showed today. It's supposed to be the best UK D of the last 20 years and it hasn't disappointed so far.

Even if it wasn't pretty it was very nice to crush a rival that we'd only beat twice in the last 9 years.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Even if it wasn't pretty it was very nice to crush a rival that we'd only beat twice in the last 9 years.

That's cool, just making sure you were maintaining a little perspective is all
Old 08-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #255
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Even so, it's absolutely mindboggling how horrible the league looks outside of Wake Forest so far. Heck, the mere suggestion that Wake Forest is apparently the league's team to beat would've been a staggering one at the time of the expansion a few years ago.

Hey, Tech hasn't looked bad yet.

Grobe, I think, has really upped his respect lately.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #256
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Colorado goes up 7-0 early in the 2nd quarter on a 35 yard TD pass from Cody Hawkins to Scotty McKnight.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #257
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW!

Colorado returns a kickoff for a TD and on the ensuing kickoff, CSU returns the kickoff for a TD!

AMAZING!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #258
watravaler
High School JV

The Illinois/Mizzou game was fun to watch. I fully expect Mizzou to be in the running for the national title come October, and Illinois shouldn't have much of problem getting to 10 wins...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #259
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Louisville is going to have a LOOOOONG season.

I thought they could have defensive problems, but I was surprised at how poor their offense was. Hunter Cantwell looked good when he got time in the Petrino years. He looked horrible today. The Louisville offense today played like they expected to lose. No energy at all.

Last edited by timmynausea : 08-31-2008 at 09:56 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #260
SFL Cat
College Starter

It never fails, just about when you think the Cards will be a bowl contender on a regular basis, something happens and they drop back into football purgatory for 3-5 years.

UK football will always be the poor stepchild next to the basketball program.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #261
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
The Illinois/Mizzou game was fun to watch. I fully expect Mizzou to be in the running for the national title come October, and Illinois shouldn't have much of problem getting to 10 wins...

Have you seen the Illini schedule the rest of the way?

@ PSU, @ Michigan (happy to get that game earlier in year), @ Wisconsin, and Ohio State at home?

Between the ground game, lackluster special teams play, conditioning concerns, and overall bad defense that I saw on Saturday, I think 10 wins is a very lofty goal.

I would be take 9 wins right now, with a 5-3 mark in conference play and a bowl win. But I hope that you have it right and I'm just being overly pessimistic about a loss to a strong foe.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #262
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yes, I survived the Mizzou game, though I needed a trainer afterwards. No one sat for most of the game, so timeouts were welcome so you could sit down for a minute or two. Quite a track meet. Illinois' #13 was blowing by one of our CB's on several occasions. They'll obviously have to address that before B12 play. Maclin is OK and may rest for a week or two as we have a weak non-con the rest of the way.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #263
General Mike
Pro Starter

says:
"It's go time!
Mendelbaum!
Mendelbaum!
Mendelbaum!"
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #264
miked
College Starter

Go RU!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #265
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Boneheaded move by Rutgers there.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #266
General Mike
Pro Starter

Our D is playing well.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #267
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

What a horseshit call.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #268
miked
College Starter

Just dreadful. If I see that run play again, I'm expecting to see "the defense seemed familiar with that play" or something.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #269
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Touchdown RU. Nice.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #270
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Great catch.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #271
General Mike
Pro Starter

This team is gonna make me kill myself. I'm not joking.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #272
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It's been an interesting first week, with one more entertaining game tonight at UCLA.

I think I had Clemson and Virginia Tech rated lower than everyone else in Cartman's first poll (I didn't even have Clemson in the top 10), and I'm one of the few people who had Fresno State in the top 25. It will be interesting to see how the FOFCers vote this week.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #273
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yes, I survived the Mizzou game, though I needed a trainer afterwards. No one sat for most of the game, so timeouts were welcome so you could sit down for a minute or two. Quite a track meet. Illinois' #13 was blowing by one of our CB's on several occasions. They'll obviously have to address that before B12 play. Maclin is OK and may rest for a week or two as we have a weak non-con the rest of the way.

Gettis got hurt I think and that's when that side went to shit.. anyway.. where is Pig Brown when you need him.

Sounds like you had a fun time, I'll be making the trip up to Columbia some time VERY soon!

I'd sit Maclin at LEAST a week, but he really wants to play.. so I hope Pinkel does what's right.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #274
miked
College Starter

Man, how do the McCourty twins have jobs? I think they may be the worst CBs in the NCAA.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #275
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It's been an interesting first week, with one more entertaining game tonight at UCLA.

I think I had Clemson and Virginia Tech rated lower than everyone else in Cartman's first poll (I didn't even have Clemson in the top 10), and I'm one of the few people who had Fresno State in the top 25. It will be interesting to see how the FOFCers vote this week.

I wanted to take a look cause I couldn't remember if I had Fresno St. tucked in the bottom of mine (I did at 25). I was pretty surprised to see that VT was actually unranked in two polls and the majority didn't have them in the top 15 (you and I had them 14th and 15th.)

It'll be interesting to see if Clemson drops all the way out. I had them 8th, though I predicted they wouldn't win the ACC in the predictions thread.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #276
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's Football Time ... in Tennessee
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #277
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting first set of downs. Saw issues for both teams on each side.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Prediction: Crompton will do much better if he manages to both hold on to the football & not try to fall down on his drop back.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Prediction: Crompton will do much better if he manages to both hold on to the football & not try to fall down on his drop back.

Yup. Another prediction is if UCLA keeps throwing these high loft passes into the arms of Vol DBs, and this is going to be a veeeeerrrrrryyyy long game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, let's stop sugarcoating it: neither QB looks worth a damn so far (especially after Crompton's last one hopper)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #281
bhlloy
Coordinator

Anybody know why UCLA is trying to go downfield with a QB who wasn't even good enough to play for his father at San Diego State?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #282
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Anybody know why UCLA is trying to go downfield with a QB who wasn't even good enough to play for his father at San Diego State?

Actually he redshirted as a freshman. Not unheard of. And then started as a redshirt freshman for his father's replacement.

As for why they're trying to go downfield is probably because receivers have been open. Can't find out what you have until you try.

I am disappointed to see what sounds an awful lot like Trojie trolling here this early. Don't be a hater, just watch the game. Save it for December 3 or whatever date it is this year.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #283
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, plays like that can be critical in games like this. Nice play there for UCLA. Tennessee needs to figure something out about its protection schemes and UCLA's rush tactics (although that was on a punt, so a little different).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-01-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #284
miami_fan
Coordinator

I hate that punt formation. Why give them a free run at the punter and hope the three guys in the back can block?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh goody. Overwhelmed on a simple punt, a QB who looks like he's throwing in thin air, and an inability (and seemingly an unwillingness) to run the football. NOT a great start for the Vols.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #286
bhlloy
Coordinator

Try again. I want UCLA to win this game (and I told Bug the same last night)

Craft is clearly not good enough to be making the throws he is attempting though, that is a fact. He is going to end up with a 5 INT game if he keeps going downfield like this. His last INT was one of the worst throws I have ever seen.

.... nice punt block I think UCLA can win this if they can get some yards on the ground. Defense looks good.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #287
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I hate that punt formation. Why give them a free run at the punter and hope the three guys in the back can block?

+1. Virginia kept running it against USC, and I was screaming at them to rush more than 2 guys. I guess if you get the punt off there is not much chance of a big return, but it's a big risk to take.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #288
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Try again. I want UCLA to win this game (and I told Bug the same last night)

Craft is clearly not good enough to be making the throws he is attempting though, that is a fact. He is going to end up with a 5 INT game if he keeps going downfield like this. His last INT was one of the worst throws I have ever seen.

.... nice punt block I think UCLA can win this if they can get some yards on the ground. Defense looks good.

Well, sorry, if that was not your intent, but given your well-known allegiance, you can kinda see where I am coming from, right?

If you're here to offer fair commentary, comment away. If you're here to make this "rip away at your rival" night, please cease and desist and allow me to enjoy the game.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #289
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA has Tennessee's line pretty jumpy. Too bad the strategy Tenn is using is a sound one. The D is already tired, and is only going to get more tired if the offense can't go on a long drive of any sort.

Big play right now and IT has the ball on the 10.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TD Tennessee. an XP from a tie.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #291
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, sorry, if that was not your intent, but given your well-known allegiance, you can kinda see where I am coming from, right?

If you're here to offer fair commentary, comment away. If you're here to make this "rip away at your rival" night, please cease and desist and allow me to enjoy the game.

Sure, point taken
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Stupid Rutgers.. I picked them to win as my first "ESPN Streak for the Cash" entry.

Needless to say, my streak of correct picks will be stuck at 0 for at least 1 day

(anyone else doing it? )
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #293
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good Lord. Bell, Paulsen, Everett. At this rate, we'll have the second string offense out there by the third quarter. I hate injuries.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I'm not a big fan of them making Moline the #2 RB. He's a big back/fullback type. Get Carter in there. Or Dean. At least those guys can run around players. And they have more talent than Moline, too. Only thing they don't have on Moline is experience (well, okay, and they aren't fullback sized).

Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #295
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Excellent defensive series. JIMG is right on that Crompton is looking pretty poor. Despite the two picks, Craft may grade out slightly better at this point. All that said, Crompton led the Vols on a scoring drive. Craft has only managed to return the ball to UT in relatively short order.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #296
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, Gawd, really. Take those plays out of the playbook and burn them, please!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #297
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And that means, there's no doubt Craft has fallen below Crompton in crapitude at this point. Thank you for the defense, although Craft's play is going to continue to lead them to be tired and unable to stop UT late.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #298
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Man, this QB for UCLA is horrible. I'm not even a fan, but he's giving me a headache.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #299
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Man, this QB for UCLA is horrible. I'm not even a fan, but he's giving me a headache.

Yeah, he's not exactly earning himself a spot in UCLA lore just yet. Or at least not the good kind. Oh, for the days of Bethel-McLeod!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, the really scary part is that at least UCLA knows they're playing with their 3rd stringer. Crompton is (supposedly) the best QB on the roster for the Vols. At this point I'm not sure he's even as good as, I dunno, Taylor Bennett.