Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #251
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Anytime that anyone uses two different names to post in the same thread, they can expect an immediate suspension. Period.

Even if they use such powers for awesome instead of evil?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #252
petrochile
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by FishFan
Can someone give me a quick one minute summary of this thread? I'm too lazy to read five pages...

Ohl was seen drinking with Tauter in Minnesota, and Subby got pissed.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:38 PM   #253
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Anytime that anyone uses two different names to post in the same thread, they can expect an immediate suspension. Period.

To my knowledge, there's no forum rule that states that. If there is, I've never seen it.

Nonetheless, why not spend a few extra minutes PMing the member (who has 1000+ posts with no history of trouble) rather than banning him for the weekend and not returning his emails?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM   #254
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by wbonnell
To my knowledge, there's no forum rule that states that. If there is, I've never seen it.

Nonetheless, why not spend a few extra minutes PMing the member (who has 1000+ posts with no history of trouble) rather than banning him for the weekend and not returning his emails?

There is now.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 PM   #255
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

If I recall, that rule was stickied for several weeks.

As I said then, I had no idea who you were, nor did I know anything about your history. For all I knew, your 1,000 posts came in that inane threadkiller thread or in some odd dynasty. Over time, I have received MANY e-mails after a suspension (mainly from wignifty and mrskippy), and all are a waste of my time. So, as a general rule, the suspension-protest e-mails are a very low priority, if I even respond to them at all. (mrskippy has sent at least 10 in the last few days to me...) It isn't the end of the world. It is three days not being able to post on a message board.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #256
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Hmmmmm....this rings pretty hollow, especially considering that you posted in the thread I was talking about.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #257
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Can we call you Maurice instead?

You can call me whatever you want, sugar. That's what love is all about.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:02 PM   #258
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:

As I said then, I had no idea who you were, nor did I know anything about your history. For all I knew, your 1,000 posts came in that inane threadkiller thread or in some odd dynasty. Over time, I have received MANY e-mails after a suspension (mainly from wignifty and mrskippy), and all are a waste of my time. So, as a general rule, the suspension-protest e-mails are a very low priority, if I even respond to them at all. (mrskippy has sent at least 10 in the last few days to me...) It isn't the end of the world. It is three days not being able to post on a message board.

Well, I've been in the community for as long as you have. Apparently, we have different interests since we don't cross paths much. However, the point is you need to used bestowed powers judiciously. If you ban someone, you ought to:

1. warn them first
2. give them an opportunity to defend themselves
Old 12-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #259
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Hmmmmm....this rings pretty hollow, especially considering that you posted in the thread I was talking about.

To be honest, I didn't read that thread 'till after I was banned. Even so, was I trolling? Define trolling? Where in the rules is trolling defined? I didn't make it a secret that I was posted to myself. Anyone who knows me, knew that both psots were me.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #260
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Viva la colosal calamar!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #261
Blade6119
Coordinator

and we now have the second match on tonights card!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #262
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Anyone who knows me, knew that both psots were me.
Which was my point back then, and is now. I didn't know you. Your name was not familiar to me. All I saw was a bizarre thread with two different user names from an identical IP address arguing with each other. I got a few PM's/e-mails about the thread, so I acted. Considering that the thread was in direct conflict with a stickied rule, (...and yes, posting under two different names in the same thread is trolling in my book. This isn't freakin' law school. I don't have the time or the inclination to define every single possible act that could be considered trolling.) I acted. You're right in that normally I would give a warning to a veteran user, but since in my opinion your thread was in direct conflict with a posted, stickied rule, the decision was an easy one. At the time, thealmighty misread my intentions with the "point well taken" comment. What I meant was that I agree that in general, warnings are more effective. However, when there is a direct violation of a posted rule, a suspension (not a banning) is going to be issued immediately.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #263
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
You can call me whatever you want, sugar. That's what love is all about.

Ok. As long as we're at it then, I'd like to be referred to as the "Space Cowboy".
Old 12-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #264
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade6119
and we now have the second match on tonights card!

I was thinking the same thing!

Let's get it on!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #265
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Ok. As long as we're at it then, I'd like to be referred to as the "Space Cowboy".

So who's the "Gangster of Love"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #266
KWhit
Coordinator

And I'm the Gangster of Love.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:24 PM   #267
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Quote:
To be honest, I didn't read that thread 'till after I was banned.
Sooooo.... did you read it and forget that you read it, or what?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:35 PM   #268
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Love is grand.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #269
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Zen and the Art of Messageboard Maintenance

I normally don't get involved in these kinds of things, but something I recently ran across might be pertinent..

Zen and the Art of Messageboard Maintenance
--by Loud Duh

The banning which can be expressed in words is not the true banishment. For if a name be named, it is not the truly deep-sixed name.

The way of eternal banishment is inexpressible, and carries with it a nameless grace. To be banished is to know what cannot be known; to be banished and come back under a different name is whack.

What is this which cannot be named? We must go away silent, involved in our thought in utter perplexity, and seek no further; or to speak plainly, to STFU.

When a righteous man acts on a message board, all hail the righteousness of his actions. In his actions there is perfect stillness. Or else there is a mighty smackdown, whichever works better.

When a fool utters foolishness, the proper repercussions follow, as a bee follows the sun. These repercussions are: rebirth, ingnominy, bad karma. It is an endless cycle that is broken only by the grace that is *true* banishment.

When a poster utters that extreme foolishness, which is the insult of his host, how shall he not expect that night and day be reversed until he shut his fool mouth? Puh-lease.

There is no wisdom in the man who bites a cat. He holds his clawed nose and wonders, while the mocking crowd mocks.

The way to redemption is an easy path, but few follow it. When what was banished remains banished, then the freedom descends, but not before (unless money changes hands).
Old 12-03-2003, 01:48 PM   #270
Blade6119
Coordinator

....yahhh...your weird...uhh...yah...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #271
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
This guy is way off base and not arguing a smart fight here. However, his underlying message that Skydog runs this joint with inconsistancy is right on. Way too many closed threads for my liking, some questionable bannings/penaltyboxes, and he sometimes puts his opinion above what is good for the board.

Having said that I still come here everyday and consider it my favorite spot on the internet. 99% of the time I don't even think about the moderating here...just once in a while he irks me.

And that is a 100% unbiased view point of the moderation of Skydog.

Well said Marmel.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #272
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Well said Marmel.
Shorty:

FYI, I do not care one iota about your opinions of my moderating. You have disagreed publicly every single time I've suspended or banned anyone, and SEVERAL people have noticed it and commented to me about it in private. You need to know that your protests are now falling on completely deaf ears. I will never take into account any input you give on moderating decisions. Giving your opinions is now a complete waste of your time. I just thought you should know. It would unfair to let you think that you have a voice with me, when you do not at all. I hope you have a good day.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-03-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #273
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

And in our third bout of the evening...
Old 12-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #274
John Galt
Pro Starter

Wow, Skydog is really looking tough tonight. It appears that he will take on all comers.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #275
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Maple, this looks fun, you wanna go at it too?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 PM   #276
Subby
lolzcat

Fucking eel tits!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 PM   #277
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
Maple, this looks fun, you wanna go at it too?
Blow it out your ass, basketball boy. Shouldn't you be off interfering with foul balls?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #278
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
And in our third bout of the evening...
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I really think that since I completely discount his opinions, it isn't fair to him to let him keep posting, thinking that he might actually affect some sort of change.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #279
Butter
Coordinator

Hey, I think SkyDog sucks too....

JustkiddingI'mapussypleasedon'tbanme.

Last edited by Butter : 12-03-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #280
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

To not recognize wbonnell is like not recognzing your mother.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #281
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I really think that since I completely discount his opinions, it isn't fair to him to let him keep posting, thinking that he might actually affect some sort of change.

Look at what he is saying about your mother, Shorty. Are you gonna stand for this?

Fight! Fight!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #282
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Makes sense.

Wait a second, so do I have to inform everyone here who's opinion doesn't matter to me?

Damn, I'm going to be here all night.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #283
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
To not recognize wbonnell is like not recognzing your mother.

Look at what he is saying about your mother, Skydog. Are you gonna stand for this?

Fight! Fight!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #284
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I think every post in this thread should be required to include some sort of Star Wars reference.

Example:

Same post as above, only at the end Skydog adds - "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"
Old 12-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #285
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
I think every post in this thread should be required to include some sort of Star Wars reference.

Example:

Same post as above, only at the end Skydog adds - "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"

But with the blastshield down, how is Skydog supposed to fight?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #286
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

dola

Shorty: "Luke! wbonnell is your mother!" [Darth Vader voice]
Old 12-03-2003, 02:41 PM   #287
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Shorty:

FYI, I do not care one iota about your opinions of my moderating. You have disagreed publicly every single time I've suspended or banned anyone, and SEVERAL people have noticed it and commented to me about it in private. You need to know that your protests are now falling on completely deaf ears. I will never take into account any input you give on moderating decisions. Giving your opinions is now a complete waste of your time. I just thought you should know. It would unfair to let you think that you have a voice with me, when you do not at all. I hope you have a good day.

--Ben

Why? I agree with Marmel who spoke his mind and shares my feelings yet is able to put them into better words, yet for such actions I am losing ground.

That is annoying. Maybe I speak my mind because I would like to see some change, and I do it because many that FEEL THE SAME WAY do not say a word because they are afraid of the consequences. Good god, I only say 'Well said Marmel' and I get a paragraph of putting me down... ridiculous.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:41 PM   #288
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

You're so cool.

But not once did I ever really figure you would take into account my opinions, let alone anyone elses. Yeah, so I quote a post by someone else and yet I am the one being told to basically shutup. It makes sense.... take into account anyone's opinion that doesn't go over 100% with yours?

Last edited by korme : 12-03-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #289
Franklinnoble
Banned

And I thought they smelled bad on the outside...
Old 12-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #290
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
You're so cool.

translated:

"Yes, Gredo, I was just on my way to see your boss."
Old 12-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #291
Bee
Pro Starter

Can you imagine how much a pain in the butt Shorty will be once he hits puberty?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #292
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I will never take into account any input you give on moderating decisions.

Nothing to say here, just hoping someone reads this out of context and starts another fight.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #293
sabotai
General Manager

Ooteenie!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #294
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Can you imagine how much a pain in the butt Shorty will be once he hits puberty? Yub Yub!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #295
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Why? I agree with Marmel who spoke his mind and shares my feelings yet is able to put them into better words, yet for such actions I am losing ground.

That is annoying. Maybe I speak my mind because I would like to see some change, and I do it because many that FEEL THE SAME WAY do not say a word because they are afraid of the consequences. Good god, I only say 'Well said Marmel' and I get a paragraph of putting me down... ridiculous.

If all you ever said was "well said Marmel" you'd have a point, but you've always got something to say every time somebody is banned. ALWAYS. It's kind of annoying. And I am certainly not a SkyDog fanboy.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #296
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Can you imagine how much a pain in the butt Shorty will be once he hits puberty?

Keeping the Star Wars theme:

"Watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home."

Last edited by The_herd : 12-03-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #297
mckerney
Coordinator

Bored, drinking my beer on the floor
Surrounded by people I mostly abhor, wanting more.
And so the night goes,
A lot of beer flows,
What can a guy do to make it right?
And then abruptly my pair of eyes see
A pair of guys get into a fight.

Funny how a fight can break the ice
And make the whole night better
Everybody loves to fight, FIGHT!

Fist fly, hits him in the eye
Knocks him on the ground, now he starts to cry.
I don’t mean to be pompous or mean.
Try to love each other-
That’s the way it should be,
But don’t you think that maybe every once in a while
A good fist fight makes everyone smile?

Blood, teeth, broken glass on the floor
But if the fight’s right the fighters just might
Decide to be friends and make amends
And as we get closer to the end,
It’s time to sing the chorus once again.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #298
korme
Go Reds

I did not say anything about skippy being banned until Chief made his post, days later. And again all I said I think was Well said.

Sorry to be so annoying for standing up for my own viewpoints.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:49 PM   #299
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I did not say anything about skippy being banned until Chief made his post, days later. And again all I said I think was Well said.

Sorry to be so annoying for standing up for my own viewpoints.

You were standing?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #300
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I lost out on the thread dead pool. I was certain this thread was all but dead this morning but some keep giving it new life.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Closed Thread