Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #251
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
We need an Antmeister parody out of this.

We need the Flere "In Pictures" series.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #252
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

4. Folks agree that a name change is a spiffy idea. SkyDog agrees too, but for a slightly different reason. He gets a kick out of HA. Thinks he's a good diversion, and mostly harmless. A name change should get a nice little rise out of him (and in all likelihood he'd go ahead and change the name *back*).

I find it intersting that someone who is so involved in youths and the church gets a kick out of someone who claims another persons mother should have used a hanger to abort them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #253
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It is based both on various BB administration (vbulletin, phpbb, invision, etc.) and general computer admin experience. Whenever a name changes, the checksums, CRCs, tokens, or whatever security mechanism used changes. When you try to use the old name, the checks just do not match up. There are wide variations on how differing systems handle security, but the basic mechanisms are the same across all systems.

That being said, there are always bugs and glitches in systems, and behavior might deviate from what was expected. That is why I said "bordering on the impossible" and not just a flat out "impossible". But much closer to a certainty than Anthony/HA's version of events.

That's a nice laundry list of random security terms, but I'm even more skeptical now. The above screams of the same random hot air that a Best Buy employee blow at me when trying to convince me I need $140 HDMI cables.

I have a list of cookies from operation sports in my browser, and every one of them lists a numeric user id, not a name. I don't see Fidatelo anywhere. So if SkyDork changes my name to Fellatio, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the site had no reason to log me out or even recognize the change. Could it? Sure. But I don't think it does, and I don't see how you could so strongly word your original assertions ("There is not a way your screen login name can change, and you aren't automatically logged out of the system if you try to post.").
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #254
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ok, lets make this simple.

1. HA went off on Schmidty last week - in response to a post that was months old - going a bit too far. This led to him being boxed for a week.

2. A few folks off in our Land of Make Believe opine that this is standard HA, he'll just be gone for a week and come back continuing where he left off. He's done it before, he'll do it again.

3. It was explained that "HA isn't really a bad guy - he just likes to put on this character". Which many of us (though certainly not all of us) are tired of. So, I offer a different approach to the boxing. Why not change his screen name to Anthony, and see if he starts acting like an actual person, rather than this caricature?

4. Folks agree that a name change is a spiffy idea. SkyDog agrees too, but for a slightly different reason. He gets a kick out of HA. Thinks he's a good diversion, and mostly harmless. A name change should get a nice little rise out of him (and in all likelihood he'd go ahead and change the name *back*).

5. Anthony returns, a little perplexed. But overall, doesn't blow up. FOFC, in its usual custom, DOES get all bent out of shape (some are angry, most are just confused, some just are), saving the day and providing the train wreck that was hoped for.

Well, that explains things at least. I usually find HA mostly harmless, sometimes amusing, but that comment to Schmidty was truly crappy. I know he's posted other stuff that's just as bad and I know if I did the same I'd be banned. HA is part of FOFC lore though and I can see why he's not banned.

HA's stuff though is just a sideshow, to me anyway, of FOFC. The best parts of this board include EF27 offering good, solid advice when people need it. Or when EF27 is looking at a job opportunity and someone comes through with solid information about why he shouldn't take it. When people here ask for thoughts and prayers for something difficult going on in their lives, they get them. We have lawyers here that help people out and generally, you'll find solid advice on just about everything...from relationships to computers.

So I think this is a good forum with solid moderation. It's generally amusing and sometimes poignant. I remember some thread from awhile ago where several members discussed having lost their children. Shit like that matters...this is really just noise.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #255
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I like how there's a committee trying to "fix" HA.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #256
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why?

HA antics have been going on forever, HA "toys" with people all the time, often in an asshatish way.

But if Ben does it to him that means Ben is being a douchebag? What is so wrong with Ben having a little fun with HA, it's not like HA hasn't earned it. I think it's funny he is getting a taste of his own medicine.

And don't use the abuse of power excuse because we all know Ben has no problem abusing his power and making it clear it isn't a democracy.

Two wrongs make a right. Good point?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #257
Antmeister
Pro Starter

This really needs to be made into the movie. A very creative artist discovers The One True Dark Jedi and sends secret suggestions on punishing the actor. Actor loses his stage name and receives letter in his mailbox telling him he will be using his real name. The actor revolts and holds a piece of cardboard over his head that reads "Hell Atlantic" (see Norma Rae).

The Dark Council is reported to have fudged some decency laws. Ksyrup publicly denies any involvement with the identity switch. There are rumblings that a posse is forming, but the founding members are quickly and silently dispatched by a silent assassin who goes by the codename of sachmo71.

Random images pop up of violated hoagies, Buccaneer and JonInMiddleGA screaming for people to get off their lawn, Eaglesfan27 dropkicking TCY Junkie, Subby in neon spandex with a corsair and 3 shurikens, cartman riding a mutant javelina, and MikeVic trapped on the toilet as Kodos planetary takeover is taking place.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #258
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Can we at least hope that all of the folks who are so upset at the HA schtick and frequently request the banning have the guy on ignore? I'm amazed at how many people complain about him always being the same yet still reading every post.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #259
Zelig
Mascot

It has suddenly dawned on me that I hate you all.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #260
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
It has suddenly dawned on me that I hate you all.

Hate leads to fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to name changes. Name changes lead to Pumpy wearing nothing but socks.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
That's a nice laundry list of random security terms, but I'm even more skeptical now. The above screams of the same random hot air that a Best Buy employee blow at me when trying to convince me I need $140 HDMI cables.

I have a list of cookies from operation sports in my browser, and every one of them lists a numeric user id, not a name. I don't see Fidatelo anywhere. So if SkyDork changes my name to Fellatio, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the site had no reason to log me out or even recognize the change. Could it? Sure. But I don't think it does, and I don't see how you could so strongly word your original assertions ("There is not a way your screen login name can change, and you aren't automatically logged out of the system if you try to post.").

Obviously for security reasons, a cookie isn't going to have your plaintext username and password in it. The number or alphanumeric string you see inside is usually a CRC or hash check that the server uses to figure out your username and/or password on the server side.

Since by the way you asked the question, I didn't get into the nitty gritty details of various security methods and implementations, and left it at a very general level. If you specifically would like to know more about cookies, here is a pretty good introductory FAQ on what they are, how they work, and what the data inside them means: http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #262
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Two wrongs make a right. Good point?

sometimes it sucks to be on the receiving end of someones BS
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #263
Passacaglia
Coordinator

This thread needs Moloko.

Quote:
Change my face
But it won't erase
I changed my heart
When my soul changed hands
What if, when I find myself?
Made new plans.
I don't really like myself?
Underhand.
What if when I look inside?
Change my name.
I don't like much what I find?
But I remain the same.

Change my name I remain the same.
Try again, another new beginning.

Change my course.
But I can't change my ways
D I V O R C E.
Will you count the days
What if, when I find myself?
Change my tune.
I don't really like myself?
But I stand on shifting sand.
What if when I look inside?
When I change my name.
My heart was changing hands.
Baby you'll never understand.

If I, if I could just
Slip from the net
Try to forget
I hang my head
In regret
If I, if I could just
But it's too much
Slip from my skin
I try again
Another new beginning

I remain the same, I remain the same, I remain the same.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Obviously for security reasons, a cookie isn't going to have your plaintext username and password in it. The number or alphanumeric string you see inside is usually a CRC or hash check that the server uses to figure out your username and/or password on the server side.

Since by the way you asked the question, I didn't get into the nitty gritty details of various security methods and implementations, and left it at a very general level. If you specifically would like to know more about cookies, here is a pretty good introductory FAQ on what they are, how they work, and what the data inside them means: http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/

I had no idea you worked at Best Buy!

can you set aside a copy of Wii Fit for me. K.Thx.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #265
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
The best parts of this board include EF27 offering good, solid advice when people need it. Or when EF27 is looking at a job opportunity and someone comes through with solid information about why he shouldn't take it. When people here ask for thoughts and prayers for something difficult going on in their lives, they get them. We have lawyers here that help people out and generally, you'll find solid advice on just about everything...from relationships to computers.

sounds pretty boring to me.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #266
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
sounds pretty boring to me.

I think he's bucking for free therapy.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #267
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Here's my uneducated guess, let's watch this play out and see if the cookie master is correct or if my retarded self has the right of it:

I have a cookie, called "User Id". It has a value, 2436, that is the primary key (or *possibly* a hash of one) in some kind of User table. That table has a field called "username", likely also a unique key. Both are indexed, and you can look up one with the other. My cookie doesn't expire until June 2009, so if my username changes, it doesn't matter, because the cookie looks up my username based on my id value and then logs me in with the encrypted password that is in my other cookie (called "password").
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #268
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
sometimes it sucks to be on the receiving end of someones BS

I'm honestly confused by this response, I don't know how to take it.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #269
Passacaglia
Coordinator

While we're shooting holes at cartman -- couldn't he have read his PM when it was emailed to him?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #270
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

/
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #271
MJ4H
Coordinator

I repeat that I did not have to log back in to post after my username was changed.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #272
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I repeat that I did not have to log back in to post after my username was changed.

I'm sorry, but cartman declared that as being unpossible.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #273
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
/

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I honestly am stumped by what you are trying to get at. Are you saying I was spewing BS? If so, that's fine, I just want to get back on board the conversation train as I seem to have fallen off a while back (I will admit to being obtuse at times, you need to hit me over the head and insult my mom's vagina or something).
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #274
Subby
lolzcat

I think Lathum is saying that the punishment is completely with merit.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 07-21-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #275
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I honestly am stumped by what you are trying to get at. Are you saying I was spewing BS? If so, that's fine, I just want to get back on board the conversation train as I seem to have fallen off a while back (I will admit to being obtuse at times, you need to hit me over the head and insult my mom's vagina or something).
it was like my organ was playing in a cathedral
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #276
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think Lathum is saying that the punishment is completely with merit.

That's what I understood as of my "two wrongs = right" post, but then I fell off with the BS stuff and the slash. Oh well, it's probably not a big deal.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #277
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
it was like my organ was playing in a cathedral

She did mention you seemed a little small down there. My sympathies.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #278
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Here's my uneducated guess, let's watch this play out and see if the cookie master is correct or if my retarded self has the right of it:

I have a cookie, called "User Id". It has a value, 2436, that is the primary key (or *possibly* a hash of one) in some kind of User table. That table has a field called "username", likely also a unique key. Both are indexed, and you can look up one with the other. My cookie doesn't expire until June 2009, so if my username changes, it doesn't matter, because the cookie looks up my username based on my id value and then logs me in with the encrypted password that is in my other cookie (called "password").

That is the way most login systems operate. There is a unique primary key, usually for simplicity sake it is an auto incrementing row number starting at 1 and counting up. So for example:

Code:
id user password 1 joe dsakjfhsdkj 2 bob jdsfnsdkd 3 steve mm11jds1

When you ask vbulletin to write a login cookie for you, and you are logged in as 'joe', it will look up your id (1), and create a hash of the username and a MD5 salt of the password, and these abstracted values are written to your cookie. So the next time you connect, the cookie contains the id (1), plus the hash of the username and the salted password. The system looks up this info, and if it matches, you are logged in. But if the info changed:

Code:
id user password 1 mary dsakjfhsdkj 2 bob jdsfnsdkd 3 steve mm11jds1

the next time the cookie is used, the id and password match, but the hash in the cookie would work out to 'joe', and the line in the table says it should be 'mary'.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Can we at least hope that all of the folks who are so upset at the HA schtick and frequently request the banning have the guy on ignore? I'm amazed at how many people complain about him always being the same yet still reading every post.

You can hope ... but you'd be kind of foolish to actually believe that's the case.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #280
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
She did mention you seemed a little small down there. My sympathies.
supaslam
Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #281
cartman
Death Herald

But I do see now where he could have deduced the new name before receiving the PM. Since anyone could read the posts, there can't be that many users from Astoria, NY that are the president of the Dean Houston Fan Club.

Last edited by cartman : 07-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #282
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What about Dr. Sak? We ever figure out what happened to him?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #283
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is the way most login systems operate. There is a unique primary key, usually for simplicity sake it is an auto incrementing row number starting at 1 and counting up. So for example:

Code:
id user password 1 joe dsakjfhsdkj 2 bob jdsfnsdkd 3 steve mm11jds1

When you ask vbulletin to write a login cookie for you, and you are logged in as 'joe', it will look up your id (1), and create a hash of the username and a MD5 salt of the password, and these abstracted values are written to your cookie. So the next time you connect, the cookie contains the id (1), plus the hash of the username and the salted password. The system looks up this info, and if it matches, you are logged in. But if the info changed:

Code:
id user password 1 mary dsakjfhsdkj 2 bob jdsfnsdkd 3 steve mm11jds1

the next time the cookie is used, the id and password match, but the hash in the cookie would work out to 'joe', and the line in the table says it should be 'mary'.

The example you describe seems like it could certainly be a valid security implementation. But you seem to be assuming that there is no way it could not be the case. Yet evidence throughout the thread points to you being wrong. I find it very surprising that someone that seems to actually have at least a small clue about this stuff would make such brash statements. It has been my experience that assuming something CAN NOT be done is a bad assumption to make, especially when you don't have the keys to the specific system at hand.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #284
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
The example you describe seems like it could certainly be a valid security implementation. But you seem to be assuming that there is no way it could not be the case. Yet evidence throughout the thread points to you being wrong. I find it very surprising that someone that seems to actually have at least a small clue about this stuff would make such brash statements. It has been my experience that assuming something CAN NOT be done is a bad assumption to make, especially when you don't have the keys to the specific system at hand.

Fair enough. You have your point of view, and I have mine.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #285
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd still like to point out that someone posted a NSFW video in this thread and everyone appears to be ignoring that...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #286
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fair enough. You have your point of view, and I have mine.

I'm just curious how you are writing off the following items:

1) MJ4H has repeatedly stated he did not have to re-login after his name changed; and
2) The cookies for OS are not structured in the manner you are indicating (there is a separate cookie for the username and password, and neither of them contain a hash value of any kind).
Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #287
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I'd still like to point out that someone posted a NSFW video in this thread and everyone appears to be ignoring that...

WOULDN'T THAT BE A MOD'S JOB?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #288
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Aren't there tonnes of NSFW videos in the "What are you YouTubing of Late?" thread?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #289
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
This really needs to be made into the movie. A very creative artist discovers The One True Dark Jedi and sends secret suggestions on punishing the actor. Actor loses his stage name and receives letter in his mailbox telling him he will be using his real name. The actor revolts and holds a piece of cardboard over his head that reads "Hell Atlantic" (see Norma Rae).

The Dark Council is reported to have fudged some decency laws. Ksyrup publicly denies any involvement with the identity switch. There are rumblings that a posse is forming, but the founding members are quickly and silently dispatched by a silent assassin who goes by the codename of sachmo71.

Random images pop up of violated hoagies, Buccaneer and JonInMiddleGA screaming for people to get off their lawn, Eaglesfan27 dropkicking TCY Junkie, Subby in neon spandex with a corsair and 3 shurikens, cartman riding a mutant javelina, and MikeVic trapped on the toilet as Kodos planetary takeover is taking place.

Don't let this be lost in the posts that followed!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #290
MJ4H
Coordinator

What post # is the nsfw video? I totally missed that. Is it the so you think you can dance video? Doesnt look nsfw to me, but I didn't watch it all.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #291
DanGarion
Coordinator

I have confirmed with my personal copy of vB that if a user is logged in, and then the admin changes their name, and the user comes back to the site, they REMAIN logged in!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #292
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's what I understood as of my "two wrongs = right" post, but then I fell off with the BS stuff and the slash. Oh well, it's probably not a big deal.

one has nothing to do with the other.

Subby's assesment was correct.

As for the quote I was poking fun at Cartman about your Best Buy comment. Looking back I wasn't very clear
Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #293
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
WOULDN'T THAT BE A MOD'S JOB?

Exactly they don't appear to be doing their job...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #294
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Exactly they don't appear to be doing their job...

We need the HA Action Committee to take the baton here.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #295
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have confirmed with my personal copy of vB that if a user is logged in, and then the admin changes their name, and the user comes back to the site, they REMAIN logged in!

unpossible!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #296
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
one has nothing to do with the other.

Subby's assesment was correct.

As for the quote I was poking fun at Cartman about your Best Buy comment. Looking back I wasn't very clear

Thank you for clearing things up.

We cool?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #297
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
What post # is the nsfw video? I totally missed that. Is it the so you think you can dance video? Doesnt look nsfw to me, but I didn't watch it all.

It's not here anymore, but it was for a bit. But if anyone other person was to do that they would have been suspended.... (speaking from experience).
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #298
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
unpossible!

If you need proof I can set you up to see it for yourself....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

don't be such a tattletail, what are you, like 5?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #300
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Thank you for clearing things up.

We cool?

word