Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #251
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

After issue 3 you can have a total of 5 power pools but only 4 can be the current ones. The fifth is the epic set and you can't pick one of the current ones for 5th.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 PM   #252
C.J.
n00b

Had fun again today, what little time I had to team with some of the SG members.

Should hit 36 this weekend with Gail-Force, once I get back to a normal sleep schedule. Level 38 I get another attack power that I can't wait to try out. Onward to 41....
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:55 PM   #253
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Aucoin and Hangfire made 34, I did check in at 8 o'clock, will check again at 8:30
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:16 AM   #254
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Aucoin make 34 yet?!?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 11-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #255
gi
College Prospect

What an exercise in respec frustration last night. I believe (since all I do is stare at the team windows) that the reason we failed last night was because there were 4+ bosses with each wave. WTF? I also think I could not be so close to the reactor. If I was in the sky above I might not take as much abuse and be able to respond to any abuse you all take.

Thoughts? Ideas?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #256
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, we need some more damage dealers in our group. We got to a point where we were overrun by the bosses; the group we had was not capable of dispatching them before the next wave came rolling in. It was just silly at the end, being surrounded by a dozen bosses that were my level and +2 levels on the rest of the party.

Since Streak is out for a couple of weeks, we will definitely need either Claw or Virus to finish this one off. Both would be nice.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #257
Bonegavel

Sorry I couldn't make it back on last night. For the most part I have my body on a good sleep schedule and that usually means being in bed by 11, though last night that was 9pm as I had to get up at 5:45 am.

Virus by himself would probably do the trick but with Virus and Claw it couldn't hurt and might make it go quicker even with the added mobs.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 AM   #258
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Sorry I couldn't make it back on last night. For the most part I have my body on a good sleep schedule and that usually means being in bed by 11, though last night that was 9pm as I had to get up at 5:45 am.

Virus by himself would probably do the trick but with Virus and Claw it couldn't hurt and might make it go quicker even with the added mobs.

Would it scale up due to this...I don't know the next time I'll be around for it...
Old 11-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #259
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Would it scale up due to this...I don't know the next time I'll be around for it...

yes, it would scale up but the added ATs are damage dealers that have more def than blasters.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:19 AM   #260
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
yes, it would scale up but the added ATs are damage dealers that have more def than blasters.

Testify!!!!

Seriously, I felt after last night like, what just happened...kinda like the demon that pops out in the Exorcist during the priest's dream sequence, or the final shot in Blair Witch...moreso like Blair just because I sat through the whole thing waiting for the payoff...

Sorry that Auc had to spend precious time healing and reviving me...I realized that when it was Freaks we would be in for a long haul...then Don jinxed it with "this is easy". (Still love you Don, especially for the sacrifice of last night).

We'll see what happens...I'm 70k in debt and a few blocks from 35 (probably getting hasten)...so I can dish it out faster, but still can't take it.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #261
C.J.
n00b

The ONE thing that I keep seeing in the message board postings on the offical site that everyone is saying about the respec TF is about the level difference. Everyone that has had an easy time was +/- 1 level from each other.

Now I guess what I'm wondering is if the mission is set to your ACTUAL security level or your exemplar/sk level. Meaning, if Don exemplared down to 34, would the foes have been scaled lower then? The mission seems to be set to the highest teammate in the group.

I suppose any way to get everyone to a middle-ground level would be best. No point in sking up unless everyone on the team can be sked up. At level 34 and 36, Gail and Aucoin were taking a lot of hits near the core with those mortar shell blasts. We won't last long against level 38 Boss attacks. +2 and +4 higher than us.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #262
gi
College Prospect

We can try exempler to see if that works. Exempler before we start the TF. Then start it and if the mobs are at or above said exempler char (DON) then we know it doesn't work.

Last edited by gi : 11-15-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #263
C.J.
n00b

all depends on I guess where we're weighted.
Top or bottom heavy. SK and exemplar where needed if possible.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:18 PM   #264
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I've got a graphics card on the way that can play this. Unfortunately, I'm already broke (before the card) so that's not going to help me join up until they decide to do some sort of big membership promotion.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #265
gi
College Prospect

Did respec last night on a 4 person pickup team. Being the same level or 1 difference is key. This mission was easy. Aucoin respec'd Fly and Hover out and I now have Combat Jumping and Super Jump. Sweet! Moved around some slots and I can heal you'all better now. Adreniline recharges quicker too, so more end for everyone!

I have serious doubts about playing tonight. GF is back and I will be spending time with her. Might be on late. I'd be willing to assist anyone with the respec.

Last edited by gi : 11-16-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #266
gi
College Prospect

If anyone wishes to play today, post here and I will stop playing Half life 2 to join you.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #267
Bonegavel

Tex Rx is up to level 8 and is ready to heal BABY!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #268
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey guys!

Just an update here to let you know that I've finally gotten rid of some (all?) of the problems I was having with COH. New monitor, new video card, more memory. Haven't tried the game since I did all this yesterday, but wanted to let you know that playing with Cometflash might not be an exercise in frustration as much.

Of course still on a dialup modem and I'm still playing EQ2 more than COH, but don't be surprised if Comet makes a guest appearance one of these nights.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:32 AM   #269
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

WOOT!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #270
Thomkal
Head Coach

Spoke too soon it seems. Had a couple mapserver disconnects, but not bad there really. What was bad was a complete freeze-up of my system, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL worked. Never had that happen with COH before. Sigh. Meanwhile other than some lag issues mostly fixed by adding more memory, I haven't had any problems with EQII.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 AM   #271
C.J.
n00b

Had fun last night teaming up with Don, Aucoin, and Albino.
A lot of us are busy lately with various life issues and new games that have come out. I'll be on a little less with Gail & etc. as I have a baby on the way that we have to start getting prepared for (re-doing room for new arrival). I hope to still get Gail up to level 50 before The Matrix Online comes out. She dinged to 37 Friday night, and was 3 bubbles in as of Sunday night.

I'll be on this afternoon between 4:30 and 7:00. Most likley soloing in Founders if no one else is on. So look for me there if you want to team up. I might get daring and try to solo again in Eden. Did it once with some marginal success...full thanks to my new concealment pool and Phase Shift.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #272
Bonegavel

I'll try and make it on tonight. I want to make a hair under 41 before Streak comes back as I know he will probably be on non-stop after he gets back and I want to make sure I'm ready for the epic power pools when Issue 3 goes live. And this will allow me to copy AC to the test server and test out the power pools relatively quickly.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #273
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Close to 36 just no time, back to work on my birthday tomorrow...and it is going to SUCK.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:28 AM   #274
gi
College Prospect

For all those still playing you might have noticed a decline in total number of players on the server. New games are probably pulling people away from this game. Here is a chart showing a decline. I still wonder if this game can have staying power.

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html
Old 11-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #275
Bonegavel

I'm not sure of the minimum # of users needed to keep something like this afloat, but this can actually be good for gameplay (and us) as they will be probably be forced to make the game fun instead of a level grinding chore. (and maybe they will go back to allowing create your own AT and let you mix and match the powersets like in the original design).

IMHO, you should be able to make level 14 in a matter of hours (especially if they continue to refuse to give travel powers SS, SJ, TP from the start). By this time, you can grab a travel power, and test a bunch of a power sets opening powers.

I say this because the grind at later levels is so intense as to be painful. But, if you could get a character up to 20 relatively quickly (hours not days/weeks) there would be great incentive to start over. As it is, starting over just reminds you that getting to a travel power is an excercise in pain. And then it is weeks into a character when you realize that you despise the build or AT.

Overall, I think the game won't last in its current design. I think they have put forth some great ideas/innovations in the MMO genre (fast fun combat, no loot, travel powers that are awesome) but they have backed themselves into a corner with the ATs. At this point, I'm only having fun because I team up with you all. I was on last night by myself for about 45 minutes and almost fell asleep in the process.

Here's looking forward to Matrix Online and hoping that it doesn't suck ass.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:49 AM   #276
C.J.
n00b

I have to agree on a lot of his points.
I enjoy playing this game, but for the length of time that it takes to get a character to EOL at level 50 (or beyond), I really dread going through all this grinding again with another character. I mean, some of us have been playing 6 months now, and haven't reached even 40 with our characters. And I'd say we play a decent amount of time. I really want to try out some other archtypes, but how can I if it takes 6 months to go through the full-life of a character.

You can create "alts", but the time you spend toying around with alts and other AT's, is time lost at getting your main xp/play time.

Now as for the Matrix Online (MxO), I'm such a fanatic when it comes to the content that even if the game is the same as CoH, I'll probably play that one WAY longer than CoH. I don't see MxO drawing in as many people though because of the content. The story is quite involved, and if you just went to the movies to check out the special effects, I'm guessing you won't be into the game much.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #277
Bonegavel

Agreed back at you.

Looks like the MxO is going to have an ongoing story that is one that if you miss episode #1 (whatever the hell that means - first month or quarter or whatever) you will not be able to participate in that part of the story line again.

As we all know, what devs would love create rarely makes it Live as it was conceived, but I too am a fan of the entire matrix series and it has nothing to do with the graphics in the movies.

Actually, IMHO there is so much in the trilogy that isn't explained or touched upon that I watch them in a row every few weeks (or when time permits) because of this. You can catch new things everytime you watch them. This is the stuff (not the main movie theme of saving zion and the human race) that I hope is the main focus. That, and creating new questions to ponder. That is what is fun to me: the question. Knowing the answer is only fun for a few moments after the revelation. It is the pursuit of the answer that is enjoyable.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #278
C.J.
n00b

wow...didn't know I was the only one that did that sort of thing. I just finished another book myself called "Taking the Red Pill:Science, Philosophy, and Religion in the Matrix". I think a lot of the side-content is what keeps me going with the story. Not only the Wachowski Bros. stuff like the comics, Animatrix, and other WB produced items, but the numerous books on philosophy related to the film. I've read many of them, and while it's a very tough read, I can't seem to get enough of it. Simulacra and Simulation was probably one of the toughest books I read realted to the film.

Hopefully the MxO missions will be a little more involved or indepth than "Go find 40 Nemesis" or "get rid of all Crey from the factory".

Last edited by C.J. : 12-02-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #279
Bonegavel

We'll have to get a Matrix thread going just for the movie.

I know I keep saying it, but CoH is almost in "cool the engines" mode for me. 1.25 million xp for the next level and I'm almost there (2 to 3 bubbles away) and that is just for level 39! To hit level 40, i'll need 1.25+ xp. And then 10 more of 1.25++, ++, ... and so on and so on.

Grind-a-licious.

I'm surprised that the focus at Cryptic isn't to reduce grind and make it fun. Instead, Statesman promises for the 2nd or more time that he is focusing on Tanker stuff. A bit skeptical on that and not even because I think they are being purposefully misleading... i just think they are so fooked when it comes to their balance issues that there is nothing he can do that won't force an infinite chain of "oh shits."
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #280
C.J.
n00b

I've been reading that too about the tanker/scrapper balance discussions.

I suppose I can't knock them for at least recognizing that there's issues/concerns, and then working towards finding a solution. If you read about the new zone that they're putting in, they appear to have done something right. I haven't seen much negativity about it yet. Everyone seems to love the new zone. Roaming mobs and patroling Sky Raiders sounds quite interesting.

Sounds like GI and I are going to be getting together this sunday for a Matrix-a-thon. All 3 movies straight through. I might bring the Animatrix too just for funsies.

Gail-Force is about 3 bubbles away from 38, should get it before this weekend hopefully. I'll try to be on tonight. I might be jacked in (ha ha...shameless Matrix reference) a little after 9.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #281
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Don will be a happy man, and Albino Claw isn't.

Meanwhile, I've lingered to the point of being blown out of the water by you guys...still 3 bubbles to 36. Sheesh...can't even Hydra hunt.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:11 AM   #282
C.J.
n00b

Funny you mention Hydras. I just saw groups of hydras in the sewer network with Don and Albino last night for the first time since I was a level 8ish in Perez Park.

Issue 3 is coming. Looks like that new Striga Island zone is going to be a hit (for the lower levelers again). Might be a fun place to try with some of our alts. I'm still quite anxious to get into "The Hive" and the Ritki Crash site areas...haven't seen those yet.

Speaking of catching up...I've FINALLY reached a point where I'm about even level with some of our top level SG members. I've been trying to "catch up" ever since I put Translectron on the back burner at level 18 and rolled a Gravity Controller (Gail). Well Gail's finally hit 38 last night with the assistance of Albino Claw, Don, Inverness and General Combine.

Took the final available "normal" power (heh...until level 50). Thunderstorm creates a small cloud above the cast location that will randomly select a target close by and zap them with a lightning bolt dealing "heavy" damage (heavy for my character at least). Has some knockback to it, which I'm not too fond of, but still is another damage dealing power for my character. Fun fun fun. The game still has some shiny points to it for me. Dull in some areas, but I'm still finding things that keep me going....until MxO of course!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #283
gi
College Prospect

Wow, big news. When Issue 3 goes live (or shortly thereafter), we will issue a FREE "holiday" respec to ALL characters. Yep. All characters - regardless of Archeype.

Very nice to see this from the CoH team.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #284
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Wow, big news. When Issue 3 goes live (or shortly thereafter), we will issue a FREE "holiday" respec to ALL characters. Yep. All characters - regardless of Archeype.

When they say that does that mean there is a trail attached, or we just log up and go see someone and "poof" respec...

Would've made all that dying in vain now wouldn't it?

Servers are down right now, frustrating cos I have time to play...
Old 12-03-2004, 08:40 AM   #285
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
When they say that does that mean there is a trail attached, or we just log up and go see someone and "poof" respec...

Would've made all that dying in vain now wouldn't it?

Servers are down right now, frustrating cos I have time to play...

No details. Though I would think a logon, see someone, poof respec.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #286
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

dola...

the majority of the players on the boards are just horrible horrible people...I mean I saw it with smoke grenade and people were arguing to keep it in place EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW IT WAS BROKEN....

Can't say I didn't exploit that little bug but Hang is doin okay now (okay, maybe I die every other mission, but HEY, that's not the developer's fault, as much as it is my idea to try to have Hang be a scrapper".

Still, it does disgust me...meanwhile I'm going to be eyeing WOW, but the problem is, I need to keep things respectable budget wise...

On the other hand, I don't think I have much inclination to play the Matrix online game simple because I think combat is relegated to "cards"...but then I'm sure you guys are doing more in the interest of background info on that game than I am...
Old 12-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #287
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Dude, you guys should check out my tanker alt (I know I know) but I had a good idea...anyways...next time you all are online talk to Green Drake.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #288
C.J.
n00b

Yeah, sometimes you need to just ignore a lot of the baloney that get's spewed onto the offical boards by the 13-14 year olds who spam 50 posts that say "NERF EVERYONE ELSE! KEEP SMOKE GRENADE"
Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #289
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi

You mean I would never ever have to see the inside of Terra Volta again? I better make sure I login with Comet during this holiday.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:51 PM   #290
C.J.
n00b

Woah, I just thought of something. Is there a level requirement for that free respec?
I've been trying to get Trans up to 24 just so I could do the respec trial, but if it's free for all levels....WOO HOO!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #291
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Woah, I just thought of something. Is there a level requirement for that free respec?
I've been trying to get Trans up to 24 just so I could do the respec trial, but if it's free for all levels....WOO HOO!!!!

Level was not mentioned....
Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #292
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, if they run a really nice promotion (for membership), I'm going to have to check this out when I get my computer up and running. Anyone heard anything about a possible free month or anything, maybe after Christmas? Between this and WoW, I badly want to play but just can't afford to

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #293
hoopsguy
General Manager

SI, I'm sure one of us will post if we run across any promotions. I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world for this game to be $10/month to compete against newer titles. But I imagine that it would be difficult to pump the price back up for City of Villains next year and they have already made some commitments to current players around this, from what I understand.

Going to play for awhile this evening. Looking to make a move towards Level 39 tonight, but will likely be out the duration of the weekend.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:12 PM   #294
Bonegavel

The **new** tanker/scrapper changes just went live on Test, but i can't get on to test server.

My credit card expired (even though i had received a new one in the mail weeks ago) and without knowledge my account expired last night at 11pm or so.

Found this out by trying to log into the forums there today and post.

No biggie, i rush to my account and enter in the new credit card info. I was able to log back into the forums and got onto the Live servers tonight... but no TEst. It must be working off a cached version of the player list. Grrr. I really really want to test out the changes since it effects me pretty intensely.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #295
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm back from Airborne School. For the most part, I didn't even miss CoH, but I'm glad you guys are still playing it. I'll probably be on this weekend with Silver Streak and Sweet Bubbles.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:42 AM   #296
gi
College Prospect

Glad to have you back....lawn dart!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #297
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good to have you back. None of us hit 40 yet, so still positioning for the power pools with our lead guys.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:58 AM   #298
C.J.
n00b

Yeah! SilverStreak is back!
Great teaming with you yesterday. We hit the abandoned sewer network for some Hydra fun. I actually learned something yesterday about my play-style with Gail. It's drastically changed from what it used to be. I had to actually resist jumping into the middle of mobs with the Singularities because SilverStreak would end up taking a great deal of damage. Pulling enemies was a much better tactic, although sometimes we'd get a few more than we wanted.

I actually did some soloing in Perigrine Island. I can only take on 41 mobs of about 8, and 42 mobs of 3-4 members with no more than 2 LT's. Surprising how much damage those little singularities can take. Just for funsies, I attempted to attack a level 43 Boss (alone)....a total of around 4000ish XP. Heh, took me a good 5-7 minutes to do it, but man that was sweet XP for one kill.

Teamed up with Don, Albino, and Aucoin for some mission fun too. Good fun last night.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #299
mtsouth
n00b

I think I'm going to get this game tonight. What server are you guys on?
mtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:06 PM   #300
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsouth
I think I'm going to get this game tonight. What server are you guys on?

We are on: Victory

Look for Aucoin or Gail-Force or Silver Streak or Don the Baptist or Project Virus or Albino Claw

Any one of us will help you out.