Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #251
Easy Mac

Listened to Evil Urges about 5 times now... I still can't grab an opinion on it. Its nowhere near Z, which is one of the top 5 albums of the past decade (The Streets-A Grand Don't Come for Free; and Franz Ferdinand's debut are also in there), but its interesting. I can't tell if they just said, fuck it, we're My Morning Jacket, people will give us the benefit of the doubt on it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #252
samifan24
Pro Starter

New Coldplay. It's good.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #253
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shearwater released Rook a few weeks ago and it's seriously the best album of the year to date. I just got it now and I'm astounded. I had no idea it would be THIS good. Nothing else like it, can't explain it. Just listen.

Here's a track called Rooks.

Rooks - Shearwater

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-17-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #254
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm really enjoying Man Raze's new album. It's Phil Collen (Def Leppard), Paul Cook (Sex Pistols), and the drummer from Girl (Phil's old band). I think I actually like it better than the new Def Leppard album.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #255
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Of the three CDs I mentioned I got a few weeks ago, I'm really, really digging The Kills most of all. They just have an utterly captivating sound:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JkEwk7wZVV8&hl=en&rel=0">http://www.youtube.com/v/JkEwk7wZVV8&hl=en&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

Argh... obviously I don't know how to embed, so:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JkEwk7wZVV8&feature=user

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-19-2008 at 07:55 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #256
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Shearwater released Rook a few weeks ago and it's seriously the best album of the year to date. I just got it now and I'm astounded. I had no idea it would be THIS good. Nothing else like it, can't explain it. Just listen.

Here's a track called Rooks.

Rooks - Shearwater

I just listened, pretty cool. Are you in Chicago yet? I just saw that they'll be here this Tuesday.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #257
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Of the three CDs I mentioned I got a few weeks ago, I'm really, really digging The Kills most of all. They just have an utterly captivating sound:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JkEwk7wZVV8&hl=en&rel=0">http://www.youtube.com/v/JkEwk7wZVV8&hl=en&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

Argh... obviously I don't know how to embed, so:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JkEwk7wZVV8&feature=user

Here you go.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #258
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I just listened, pretty cool. Are you in Chicago yet? I just saw that they'll be here this Tuesday.

Shit, no. Sucks, I'd love to take the woman and go.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Kodos... I will remember this act of kindness when the revolution comes
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #260
samifan24
Pro Starter

Just downloaded the new Girl Talk album, "Feed the Animals," which was released today online in a name your own price format. Interestingly enough, if you choose free, as I did (because I am unfamiliar with them and didn't know if I'd like them), the website asks you why and you must select from several different answer options.

If you don't know anything about Girl Talk, basically it's just one guy who samples from about 20 different artists/songs in each one of his tracks. It's really great stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #261
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sebastian Tellier, Divine.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #262
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Just downloaded the new Girl Talk album, "Feed the Animals," which was released today online in a name your own price format. Interestingly enough, if you choose free, as I did (because I am unfamiliar with them and didn't know if I'd like them), the website asks you why and you must select from several different answer options.

If you don't know anything about Girl Talk, basically it's just one guy who samples from about 20 different artists/songs in each one of his tracks. It's really great stuff.

I paid a buck for it. I liked the last album a lot, but dont like his prior stuff. I havent' actually listened to this new one yet though , despite buying it a few days ago.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #263
Easy Mac

You should have just paid $5 for Lossless audio

Night Ripper is one of favorite albums from the past decade. The latest hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I haven't listened to it enough to form an opinion.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #264
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Age Of The Understatement by The Last Shadow Puppets is still great.

So is Watershed by Opeth
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #265
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hayes Carll - Trouble in Mind is the best country album this year that you'll never hear.

Wild As A Turkey - Hayes Carll
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #266
korme
Go Reds

DC, what do you know about M.I.A., if anything?

She's responsible for the song that is in the trailer for Pineapple Express, and I love that song ("Paper Planes").
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
DC, what do you know about M.I.A., if anything?

She's responsible for the song that is in the trailer for Pineapple Express, and I love that song ("Paper Planes").

Paper Planes is one of those songs that sneaks up on you, being way better than it sounded the first time I heard it.

She's of Sri Lankan descent, but was raised in England. This is her 2nd album. Her first, was called Araular is pretty all right, the best songs on that album were "Sunshowers" and "URAQT". It was clearly produced in her boyfriend's basement, because it was low-fi and not particular well produced. Junkyard music ftw.

This new album "Kala" is just as spastic obviously, but way better produced and far more catchy and EXTREMELY diverse. I think it's an album that you'll either love or absolutely hate. Check it out and decide what you think...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #268
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I can't stop listening to this. It's Yoon Mi Rae (aka Tasha), the best rapper in Korea, hands down. She's half-American and was apparently born in Houston.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #269
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I heard Paper Planes on thesixtyone a couple weeks back and immediately bumped it like crazy. Awesome tune, neat to see that it's getting some mainstream play.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #270
samifan24
Pro Starter

Matthew Ryan vs. The Silver State Matthew Ryan's latest album. Highly recommended for fans of early Springsteen.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #271
Easy Mac

FYI, The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely is only $5 at Amazon's mp3 store (along with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool)
Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #272
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Paper Planes is one of those songs that sneaks up on you, being way better than it sounded the first time I heard it.

She's of Sri Lankan descent, but was raised in England. This is her 2nd album. Her first, was called Araular is pretty all right, the best songs on that album were "Sunshowers" and "URAQT". It was clearly produced in her boyfriend's basement, because it was low-fi and not particular well produced. Junkyard music ftw.

This new album "Kala" is just as spastic obviously, but way better produced and far more catchy and EXTREMELY diverse. I think it's an album that you'll either love or absolutely hate. Check it out and decide what you think...

Dc, you have no limitations. Thanks, I'll try to find out how Kala sounds.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #273
korme
Go Reds

BTW, anyone else have the iTunes problem whereas everytime I open it, it detects that iTunes is not the default music player? It tells me this everytime, even though I have no other audio player that I use
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #274
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
BTW, anyone else have the iTunes problem whereas everytime I open it, it detects that iTunes is not the default music player? It tells me this everytime, even though I have no other audio player that I use

That's strange that you're seeing that error message even though you only use iTunes. There should just be a check box for "set iTunes as default player" to fix that.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #275
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, I set iTunes as my default player every.time I open it... it's odd.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #276
samifan24
Pro Starter

Rhapsody is celebrating the opening of its new MP3 store by giving away 100,000 free albums from now until July 4. You have to create an account and enter your credit card info to get your free album credit but can cancel the account immediately after downloading the album.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #277
Easy Mac

Also, if you have multiple credit cards and a gmail account, you can sign for multiple free albums.

To do so, just put a period in a random place in your gmail name. It will treat you as a new customer. It only works once per credit card.

That being said, they're selection ranges from 1 to shit-tastic.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #278
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

She & Him - Volume One
Came out amidst little fanfare in March, but it sounds great. I stumbled into it today. It's Disney star Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. She could totally quit her day job if she wanted to. She's convincing, this project is excellent work and it's seriously a breezy, 60s inspired pop foray that's refreshing to hear.

This Is Not A Test - She & Him

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #279
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
She & Him - Volume One
Came out amidst little fanfare in March, but it sounds great. I stumbled into it today. It's Disney star Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. She could totally quit her day job if she wanted to. She's convincing, this project is excellent work and it's seriously a breezy, 60s inspired pop foray that's refreshing to hear.

Yes, good stuff indeed. Zooey Deschanel will probably be introduced as "that singer who acts" from now on after this.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #280
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Also, if you have multiple credit cards and a gmail account, you can sign for multiple free albums.

To do so, just put a period in a random place in your gmail name. It will treat you as a new customer. It only works once per credit card.

That being said, they're selection ranges from 1 to shit-tastic.

By the way, there are several box sets available with a list price of $9.99 which are free using this promotion. The Doors box set of 90+ songs is one of them.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #281
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Seeing who was in this pretty much convinced me to buy before I even heard the music, but after hearing the samples, I'll be downloading and paying a few bucks for this.

Bleu + Mike Viola = How Could This NOT Be Great?

THE MAJOR LABELS

Band Members:
Bleu
Ducky Carlisle
Mike Viola

Influences:
An adventurous mix of authentic 60's/70's AM radio. McCartney, Nilsson, XTC, 10CC etc...

&ampampnbsp

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #282
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Right now, I'm really digging the All for Nots out of Brooklyn. Not only are they an excellent band, but their youtube mockumentaries are fantastic. Check them out!!!
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #283
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jean Grae teamed up with 9th Wonder, who produced stuff for underground hip-hop artists like Murs and was part of Little Brother, on an album called Jeanius. Album was supposed to be released 4 years ago, but got leaked on the web. But they've finally reworked it and released it this week on Talib Kweli's label.

Her flow is sick, his beats are on point as always. Maybe the best hip-hop album released this year.

Number Eight - Jean Grae

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #284
kurtism
High School Varsity

Oh great googily-moogily! New Matthew Sweet coming late August, new Ben Folds mid-September!

http://www.flashenhanced.com/matthewsweet/

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...ease-date.html
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #285
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, the Matthew Sweet has already leaked, but I've been too lazy to track it down. I'll listen to the Ben Folds, but he hasn't touched the awesomeness of RTS in some time, so I'm a bit burned out on him right now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #286
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.last.fm/music/Nas/Untitled

The new Nas album is online now a week early on Last.FM. I hated it, but that doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-14-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #287
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Anyone heard anything about James Pants? I heard a couple songs, one awesome, one pretty good. Great name, at least.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #288
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

"Two Men With The Blues" by Wynton Marsalis and Willie Nelson is the truth. An excellent album.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #289
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Portishead - Third is good. I wasn't really much of a Portishead fan, but...I hadn't really delved into all of their stuff and I did last night and love it, a lot.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #290
clemsonfan
High School JV

Lately I've been listening to:

Flight of the Conchords
Sondre Lerche- Faces Down
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #291
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We Brave Bee Stings and All by Thao with the Get Down Stay Down was released in January and I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but from what I've heard of them, I'm hooked and interested.

Here's a track by them called Feet Asleep.

Feet Asleep - Thao Nguyen
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #292
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

The debut album from Jacksonville-based indie group Black Kids ~ Partie Traumatic is out and it's just as good as advertised. They're the real deal. Nothing earthshattering here in terms of uniqueness, but the real knock against them was whether they could make their shtick last an entire album. I feel like they've done that with one walkthrough of the album.

Im Making Eyes At You - Black Kids
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #293
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
FYI, The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

I absolutely love this album. Clear front-runner for album of the year to me.

I'd never been a Jack White guy really... it was a song here or there that I liked... but I think something about his combo with Brendan Benson really brings out the best in both of them. This album is friggin' great.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #294
Easy Mac

Quote:
Dola --

The debut album from Jacksonville-based indie group Black Kids ~ Partie Traumatic is out and it's just as good as advertised. They're the real deal. Nothing earthshattering here in terms of uniqueness, but the real knock against them was whether they could make their shtick last an entire album. I feel like they've done that with one walkthrough of the album.

Im Making Eyes At You - Black Kids

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I'm not going to shit on them like Pitchfork just for the hell of it, but the album rests somewhere between their review and the AV Club's. Somehow, most of the energy the band possessed on the EP is completely lost on this album. The 5 songs they transferred over are completely over produced now. Part of the charm was the catch calls and scruffiness of it all. The album just sounds like any other too-slick 80's revival. The only re-do that comes close to measuring up is I've Underestimated My Charm (Again). Hurricane Jane and Hit the Heartbreaks were torn to shit.

The only new song that stuck with me is the one you chose to highlight. Even then, you can almost feel the potential the chorus possesses, but they cut it too short and its too isolated from the rest of the track.

Plus, Youngblood over-enunciates everything. His pounding of "t" at the end of every line really took me out of it.

That being said, I'm still going to see them in ATL next month, but I'm now anticipating my Black Keys viewing more.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #295
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've been listening to The Dark Knight soundtrack since I saw the film last weekend. It's a pretty good soundtrack.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #296
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I'm not going to shit on them like Pitchfork just for the hell of it, but the album rests somewhere between their review and the AV Club's. Somehow, most of the energy the band possessed on the EP is completely lost on this album. The 5 songs they transferred over are completely over produced now. Part of the charm was the catch calls and scruffiness of it all. The album just sounds like any other too-slick 80's revival. The only re-do that comes close to measuring up is I've Underestimated My Charm (Again). Hurricane Jane and Hit the Heartbreaks were torn to shit.

The only new song that stuck with me is the one you chose to highlight. Even then, you can almost feel the potential the chorus possesses, but they cut it too short and its too isolated from the rest of the track.

Plus, Youngblood over-enunciates everything. His pounding of "t" at the end of every line really took me out of it.

That being said, I'm still going to see them in ATL next month, but I'm now anticipating my Black Keys viewing more.

I'll agree with the overproduced nature of it. But I thought it sounded good, because they were clearly going for an 80s sound and it seems to me that they executed that extremely well. I don't know how seriously I take their shtick, so I expected the LP to flop. I still say it holds up well, compared to my own expectations.

And I'd always anticipate The Black Keys more than these kids. Black Kids are just a novelty act.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #297
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I absolutely love this album. Clear front-runner for album of the year to me.

I'd never been a Jack White guy really... it was a song here or there that I liked... but I think something about his combo with Brendan Benson really brings out the best in both of them. This album is friggin' great.

Heh, it's kind of funny. While, I think Consolers is alright, I don't think it can compare to any White Stripes album. Different strokes for different folks .

On that note, I've been listening to De Stijl by the White Stripes (which for some reason I didn't know) and alternating between them Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and The Kills' Midnight Boom.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #298
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Joshua Tree: Live from Paris 1987 Just released last week on iTunes (even though it was included in a box set, which I don't have).

Last edited by Buccaneer : 07-27-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #299
kurtism
High School Varsity

http://www.myspace.com/fun

Fun is Nate Ruess (formerly the singer of The Format) with two new compatriots. Getting ready to record their first album, to be arranged by some fellow named Roger Joseph Manning Jr.

First demo (Benson Hedges) is streaming from their myspace. Very much in step with what I loved about The Format.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #300
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
http://www.myspace.com/fun

Fun is Nate Ruess (formerly the singer of The Format) with two new compatriots. Getting ready to record their first album, to be arranged by some fellow named Roger Joseph Manning Jr.

First demo (Benson Hedges) is streaming from their myspace. Very much in step with what I loved about The Format.

Thanks for this. I didn't know Nate had a new band already. I was a big fan of The Format and will definitely check this out.